Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ATI 5970 Blocks

Xtreme Addict
    I waiting to see what the OC'ing is like with a good waterblock first. Did not like some of the reviews for this card and I may end up going with a plain 5870 instead of maybe even a couple of those as they clock nicer. But first I will wait and see. Nice blocks all around guys. Nice to see attention given to the VRM's in this case.

Xtreme Addict
    A friend of mine sent me this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZmo8R0qnHQ

Haven't had time to see the whole video.
    Let me know what you think.
    Quote Originally Posted by creidiki
    EKs are like waterblock pr0n

Xtreme Member
    Was a nice video to bad he didn't show a screen shot of the temps in the sensors tab of GPU-Z. Would of been cool to see the temps of the VDDC's and your block EK.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazystang01 View Post
    Was a nice video to bad he didn't show a screen shot of the temps in the sensors tab of GPU-Z. Would of been cool to see the temps of the VDDC's and your block EK.
    Yea, only showed the GPU temps, which seemed nice at a load of 41 C.

What else is in his loop? I didn't see that in the video either.
    Project Millertime: The Core I5 build

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

Is it me or does EK, AC, and Koolance all have the GPU fins in different areas?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by RickCain View Post
    Is it me or does EK, AC, and Koolance all have the GPU fins in different areas?
    Me thinking the same way
    We have it exactly above GPU's.

Aqua Computer Rep
    Optical illusion

Of course we also have it above the GPUs.
    Got a question or having a problem with your Aqua Computer product?
    Contact us via PM or E-Mail.

Xtreme Addict
    I was thinking more of the koolance... AC has it on the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazystang01 View Post
    True, but you would have to assume given the clocks achieved that the VRM's previously identified as one of the limiting factors in getting the card to 870 clocks, let alone higher than are being serviced by the block. Looking good though I must say. Now do I pull the trigger on one and which one...
    Last edited by HWMB; 12-01-2009 at 01:09 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Hey guys, Your blocks are doing a great job keeping the cores cool, however I suggest you make efficient, direct contact with VRMs for these 5970 cards and get some flow over them (since vrm temp is your/ati's limitation):

1 - 3× Volterra VT1157SFs feed the GPU silkscreened as "U1" (vddc phase 1,2,3 of first 5900 gpu).
    2 - 3× Volterra VT1157SFs feed the GPU silkscreened as "U2" (vddc phase 1,2,3 of second 5900 gpu).
    3 - 2× Volterra VT1157SFs feed RV870 GPU "uncore" I/O (GDDR5 ctrl?), 2 phases shared for both GPUs. (vddci phase 1 or 2)
    4 - 1× Volterra VT232WF feeds the GDDR5 chips their VDD or VDDQ (no way to tell which just by looking).
    5 - 1× Volterra VT232WF feeds the GDDR5 chips their VDD or VDDQ (no way to tell which just by looking).
    6 - 2× Infineon n-channel MOSFETs (042N03LS + 119N03S) located on the bottom edge of the PCB, for the PLX bridge chip.
    7 - 1× AOSMD (AO)Z1024DI low-power integrated buck regulator

Groups 6 & 7 don't report data to monitor temperatures, but these overheating could still cause the card to throttle.

See largon's post here: http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=657

--Aquacomputer ----------- Koolance ---------- Danger Den -------- EK Waterblocks ------ Swiftech

5970 Load temps on EK full cover waterblock:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...7&postcount=28

another watercooled fullcover 5970 (1.2v 850mhz):

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...4&postcount=19

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...41&postcount=1
    Last edited by jaredpace; 12-01-2009 at 04:33 PM.
    Bring... bring the amber lamps.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    Hang on, what? so the VRM's are covered or not with the EK 5970 block Because I just ordered one of these from Eddy yesterday. Hope it does the job and keeps not only the cores cool but more importantly the VRM's.

The above pic shows 1.3v with 1000MHz core and VRM temps around 90C so am I correct in thinking at those volts and speeds that the VRM's are indeed cooled to some degree with the EK block?
    Last edited by lowdog; 11-30-2009 at 08:14 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by lowdog View Post
    Hang on, what? so the VRM's are covered or not with the EK 5970 block Because I just ordered one of these from Eddy yesterday. Hope it does the job and keeps not only the cores cool but more importantly the VRM's.

The above pic shows 1.3v with 1000MHz core and VRM temps around 90C so am I correct in thinking at those volts and speeds that the VRM's are indeed cooled to some degree with the EK block?
    The two "major" vrm groups seem to have full contact with the block. The smaller ones however doesnt seem to make any contact at all..?
    Asus Crosshair IV Extreme
    AMD FX-8350
    AMD ref. HD 6950 2Gb x 2
    4x4Gb HyperX T1
    Corsair AX1200
    3 x Alphacool triple, 2 x Alphacool ATXP 6970/50, EK D5 dual top, EK Supreme HF

Xtreme Member
    Jesus that is pretty darn hot for a watercooled card to have those temps on the VRMS.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Onoff312 View Post
    Jesus that is pretty darn hot for a watercooled card to have those temps on the VRMS.
    Quite high yea, but remember that its overclocked values, so still a fair bit better than stock cooler.
    Would also be interesting to know what vrm is what in the gpuz screen..
    Asus Crosshair IV Extreme
    AMD FX-8350
    AMD ref. HD 6950 2Gb x 2
    4x4Gb HyperX T1
    Corsair AX1200
    3 x Alphacool triple, 2 x Alphacool ATXP 6970/50, EK D5 dual top, EK Supreme HF

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Still haven't decided what route I'm going with the 5000 series...watching this thread closely for VRM cooling data.
    ASRock 990FX Extreme4
    AMD FX 8350
    Kingston 16GB (4GBx4) DDR3 1333
    Gigabyte NVidia GTX 680 2GB
    Silverstone 1000W PSU

Xtreme Member
    The result Jaredpace post on the other waterblock are mine.. Thats on a Dangerden block that didnt Have water going over the VRM, They just designed a new one. and I will have it this week..

What I can tell you is. The VRM are not holding me back tho.. and I only using 1/4 Tubing also.. when I get my new block with water over the VRM I post some more result.. so far my card is stable at 1000mhz/1250 Ram 1.3vcore VRM get to 80c
    Core I5 750 4Ghz
    4Gig Ram
    Koolance 360 CPU BLOCK
    Exos 2.5 1/2 Tubing
    EVGA GTX 480
    Danger Den GTX 480

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post
    koolance tim?

if you don't mind please enable your pm box

thanks
    Whoops, it's enabled now! Like Eddy, I also find email easier to keep track of. If you send an email through our website, select "Product Question / Comment" in the request. We're training new ppl in the other departments right now and they may be a bit slower to reply.

Tim

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddy_EK View Post
    I was thinking more of the koolance... AC has it on the spot.
    ??? Here is an overlay of our block over the HD 5970. GPU's look fine to me-- the fins aren't based on the center point, but extend well past them:

Also pics of the final prototype:

Tim

Xtreme Addict
    Nice, I guess it was just optical illusion.

Mr Swiftech
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilClocker View Post
    Any ETA on when the block are going to start showing up ? My Card will be here tommorow.

Gabe Do you have plans to have one out this year?
    I am delighted to confirm that the Epsilon 5900 is now in production.

Housing is thick clear polycarbonate
    Base plate is chrome plated C110 electrolytic copper; cooling engine is dual 0.6mm pin matrix
    Back plate is thick black-anodized brushed aluminum

As usual the product features pre-installed thermal pads, stainless steel standoffs, and re-uses ATI's excellent spring cross brackets. All AMD-specified critical components including ASICS, PLX, Memory modules (front & back), and VR's are cooled. As with the Komodo series, spacing between inlet and outlet G1/4 ports is sufficient to accomodate large compression fittings, but remains relatively narrow to allow clean and compact tube routing.

Price has not been established at this time.
    ETA is 3 weeks.
    Last edited by gabe; 12-01-2009 at 02:04 PM.
    CEO Swiftech

Xtreme Enthusiast
    for Swiftech and Koolance blocks.

I don't like the appearance of Koolance blocks though, chrome isn't really my thing and I think it looks tacky but the block looks well designed.

I personally like blocks with standoffs - I refuse to buy any full cover block without standoffs.

Standoffs = good contact without very small chance of shorting = good design.

No standoffs = Chance of bad contact if you over torque a certain section, can lead to shorting and you don't get any performance benefits out of it = bad design.

I'll leave it at that

If it ain't watercooled, I don't wanna know.

Admin
    Looks like of all the blocks, the EK is the only one with active flow over all 9 of the main VRMs....most notably over the 3 VRMs for GPU1.

Not sure how much it matters though...the 5970s still haven't shown where the clocking bottleneck is when watercooling.

EDIT: the Aquacomputer one gets the 3 over GPU1, but seems to miss the 6 closest to the power connectors (which I think are: 3 for GPU2, 2 for RAM, 1 for PLX--really hard to tell, there's a distinct lack of symmetry in the PWM design for this card).

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
    Looks like of all the blocks, the EK is the only one with active flow over all 9 of the main VRMs....most notably over the 3 VRMs for GPU1.

Not sure how much it matters though...the 5970s still haven't shown where the clocking bottleneck is when watercooling.
    thanks...it takes awhile to study all of these blocks

ek_eddy

will there be a budget version coming out?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post

Im hoping EK can make their bock fit properly this time I would not want to have to use washers.

Asus Z9PE-D8 WS with 64GB of registered ECC ram.|Dell 30" LCD 3008wfp:7970 video card

LSI series raid controller
    SSDs: Crucial C300 256GB
    Standard drives: Seagate ST32000641AS & WD 1TB black
    OSes: Linux and Windows x64

I would like all waterblocks to come with a custom back-plate too. The stock back-plate exceeds the PCB and adds unnecessary length to the card (that being said, it shouldnt lie short of the PCB either). It also looks fairly ugly.
    From an aesthetic point of view, Koolance blocks look to mean the business, but as stated in this thread
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...12#post4135412 by DD, they are working on a revision which runs water over the VRMs purposefully. I'm putting my money on DD being a top performer once again, just like the 4870x2 waterblocks that preceded it.

CPU i7 920 D0 @ 4.2GHz
    Motherboard ASUS R2G
    RAM Corsair XMS3 3x2GB CL7 1600MHz
    GPU ATI 4870x2
    Sound Card Auzentech Prelude 7.1
    PSU Corsair HX1000W
    Cooling Mega Shadow + Noctua NC-U6
    Case Antec P180 Mini Picture

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast