Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: id says no dedicated servers in Rage

Xτræmε ÇruñcheΓ

id says no dedicated servers in Rage

http://weblogs.variety.com/the_cut_s...t-to-hear.html

It’s not cast in stone yet, but at this point no, we don’t think we will have dedicated servers,” he says.
    What if this happens to Quake 5 Arena?

but I'm sure since CARMACK says it everyone will finally agree it was the right decision all along.

Why don't they choose a game that doesn't already have 'archaic' roots and gameplay elements to try OTHER new/experimental aspects, like no server lists? Oh wait, even that wouldn't prove anything, anyone who has played on Xbox Live knows that there's not really an ADVANTAGE to DISABLING dedicated servers.
    Last edited by AndrewZorn; 11-05-2009 at 05:34 PM.
    i7 2700k 4.60ghz -- Z68XP-UD4 F6F -- Ripjaws 2x4gb 1600mhz -- 560 Ti 448 stock!? -- Liquid Cooling Apogee XT -- Claro+ ATH-M50s -- U2711 2560x1440
    Majestouch 87 Blue -- Choc Mini Brown -- Poker Red -- MX11900 -- G9

Xtreme Member
    What's their motive behind this? Is it about stopping piracy?

Xτræmε ÇruñcheΓ
    Quote Originally Posted by natty View Post
    What's their motive behind this? Is it about stopping piracy?
    NONONONO please ignore this silly man, we are getting rid of dedicated servers because they are OLD and simply a remnant of OLD games that nobody likes!!!!!1
    i7 2700k 4.60ghz -- Z68XP-UD4 F6F -- Ripjaws 2x4gb 1600mhz -- 560 Ti 448 stock!? -- Liquid Cooling Apogee XT -- Claro+ ATH-M50s -- U2711 2560x1440

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewZorn View Post
    NONONONO please ignore this silly man, we are getting rid of dedicated servers because they are OLD and simply a remnant of OLD games that nobody likes!!!!!1
    Seriously, is that the only motive, piracy? Or am I missing something else?

Xtreme Addict
    Good god. This is getting RIDICULOUS. They're trying to kill PC gaming, i swear to god.
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    I am magical.

Xtreme Addict
    omgggggggg I swear they all went to Amsterdam one night and ate all the expired space cake -_-
    ░█▀▀ ░█▀█ ░█ ░█▀▀ ░░█▀▀ ░█▀█ ░█ ░█ ░░░
    ░█▀▀ ░█▀▀ ░█ ░█ ░░░░█▀▀ ░█▀█ ░█ ░█ ░░░
    ░▀▀▀ ░▀ ░░░▀ ░▀▀▀ ░░▀ ░░░▀░▀ ░▀ ░▀▀▀ ░

Xtreme Mentor

WTF

c[_]
    Screw you Carmack.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Member
    I havn't really heard anything on the multiplayer aspect of rage. Isnt it mainly a single player game anyway? Where on the other hand Quake is pretty much a multiplayer only competitive game.

Xtreme Addict
    Maybe I missed it but why does an RPG need dedicated servers? There is recent pattern of people flying into nerd rage at the drop of a hat.

Xτræmε ÇruñcheΓ
    Quote Originally Posted by stm View Post
    I havn't really heard anything on the multiplayer aspect of rage. Isnt it mainly a single player game anyway? Where on the other hand Quake is pretty much a multiplayer only competitive game.
    Quote Originally Posted by trinibwoy View Post
    Maybe I missed it but why does an RPG need dedicated servers? There is recent pattern of people flying into nerd rage at the drop of a hat.
    maybe read the article, and you will understand the principle of it

Quote Originally Posted by trinibwoy View Post
    Agreed, maybe Quake 5 Arena will be a different issue. I mean, it would only make since because ID is one of the last developers we can really depend on as PC gamers. If ID lets us down then god help us.

Xtreme Addict
    Maybe it's just the id fanboy in me talking, but I wouldn't be THAT shocked if he was just saying this to poke fun at IW.

Or at least I hope so.

Xτræmε ÇruñcheΓ
    Quote Originally Posted by Sly Fox View Post
    Maybe it's just the id fanboy in me talking, but I wouldn't be THAT shocked if he was just saying this to poke fun at IW.

Or at least I hope so.
    thats what i thought at first, and i still certainly hope so, but i wanted to post it here in case it IS true (which after that initial period i believe it probably is)

not too much up on the game being discussed, really just the fact that it is happening

Xtreme Addict
    thats what i thought at first, and i still certainly hope so, but i wanted to post it here in case it IS true (which after that initial period i believe it probably is)

not too much up on the game being discussed, really just the fact that it is happening
    Well I for one am certainly glad you did post it.

My jaw nearly hit the floor when I read the thread title.

isnt rage supposed to be single player, its not like games that arnt meant as multi player for the primary game trype are ever good at it
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Enthusiast
    So what is the multiplayer for rage supposed to be?

Xtreme Cruncher
    another game I won't be playing or buying.

Xtreme Member
    wow if this is the case then im done with gaming i guess... i thought i would see ID go away as a company before making decisions like this.

Xtreme Addict
    maybe read the article, and you will understand the principle of it
    What in the article provides justification for the nerd rage? Do people just fly into a frenzy now if there are no dedicated servers without asking if dedicated servers are even necessary or make sense for the particular game?

Xtreme Member
    I didn't think dedis were going to be in this game in the first place... It's like Borderlands, that game doesn't need them and this one probably wouldn't either.
    Asus P6T SE || 965 XE @ 4.0GHz [currently OCing]|| OCz DDR3 Plat 3x2Gb 1600 7-7-7-20
    2x Sapphire HD4850 CrossfireX || WD VelociRaptor 300GB || Antec Quattro 1kW PSU

-------------------------------------------------
    Cooling:
    D-Tek FuZion v2 || Swiftech MCR320 || MCP355 w\ XSPC Res Top || Scythe S-Flexes

Xtreme Member
    at what point does the highest possible performence not make sense? some of us do not feel comfortable playing games unless its close to perfect conditions... listen servers cannot match a dedicated server.

I am Xtreme
    It is my understanding that Rage is not a true multiplayer game to begin with unless something there is some additional information showing that this game would benefit from a ded. server with 32-64 player...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    Can someone respond to my question. Is piracy the only motive to remove dedicated servers, or am I missing something else?

Xtreme Addict
    Wow, you guys are seriously going to make a big deal out of this? A COD game I can understand, the multiplayer is a huge aspect of the game, and often the primary reason people buy it. There are clans that have been following the series for years, and it's a highly competitive game with a hardcore fanbase that depends on dedicated server support.

But Rage? It's just another single-player game with multiplayer tacked on. Choose your battles, folks!
    DFI LANParty DK 790FX-B
    Phenom II X4 955 BE (1003GPMW) @ 3.8GHz (19x200) w/1.36v
    -cooling: Scythe Mugen 2 + AC MX-2
    XFX ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024MB
    8GB PC2-6400 G.Skill @ 800MHz (1:2) 5-5-5-15 w/1.8v
    Seagate 1TB 7200.11 Barracuda
    Corsair HX620W

Support PC gaming. Don't pirate games.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast