Page 1 of 62 12341151 ... LastLast

Thread: Can anyone rate the primochill Typhoon III?

Hybrid View

Xtreme Member

Can anyone rate the primochill Typhoon III?

Can anyone who has seen or rated the Primochill Tyhoon III Reservoir system with D5 pump give any advice?
    It looks great but as you know, advertisments can be deceiving.

I am Xtreme
    Testing results will probably be out soon . . . .let's just say two loops and you will not be sorry. Can't say more but T3 uber alles and nothing will come close at the moment
    "Thing is, I no longer consider you a member but, rather a parasite...one that should be expunged."

Xtreme Member
    Thanks, that sounds great.
    I think I will go ahead and make my purchase.

Never go full retard
    I am racing to finish the test results, the dual loop configuration involves quite a bit of testing so its taking a bit longer than I expected.

DB has it dead on, the dual loop configuration of the T3 takes the efficiency curve of the D5 and exploits the crap out of it. When I started testing the dual loop, I had a hard time rationalizing the data. So I ran back upstairs and had Vapor be my second set of eyes to verify the early data. The single loop performance is on par with the Koolance COV-PMP450A, but the dual loop takes the Typhoon III into a different category, there is just nothing to compare it to head-to-head due to the unique design and configuration options.

I am Xtreme
    Geno has more stuff up his sleeve . . . .oh, you guys have NO idea.
    "Thing is, I no longer consider you a member but, rather a parasite...one that should be expunged."

Xtreme Mentor
    If it is two loops sharing the same res, doesn't that mean they share the same fluid and the system will equalize temperature wise, the same as if it was one single loop? Doesn't this fly in the face of 2 seperate loops being better than a single loop? And how is this any different than the XSPC other than the D5 vs. the MCP355? One more thing, looking at the pictures, it appears that the fill/drain port is on the face of the res, is it possible to fill it with it installed in the 5 /14" bay without tipping your system back?

I wouldn't mind having one of these, but those are my concerns, so any insight would be appreciated.
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Utnorris View Post
    If it is two loops sharing the same res, doesn't that mean they share the same fluid and the system will equalize temperature wise, the same as if it was one single loop? Doesn't this fly in the face of 2 seperate loops being better than a single loop? And how is this any different than the XSPC other than the D5 vs. the MCP355? One more thing, looking at the pictures, it appears that the fill/drain port is on the face of the res, is it possible to fill it with it installed in the 5 /14" bay without tipping your system back?

I wouldn't mind having one of these, but those are my concerns, so any insight would be appreciated.
    Two loops are better because each component gets fresh coolant from the radiator. Two loops with a T3 means the same thing but better flow. Way better. None of the other options can touch it. None.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthBeavis View Post
    Two loops are better because each component gets fresh coolant from the radiator. Two loops with a T3 means the same thing but better flow. Way better. None of the other options can touch it. None.
    Ok, so you are saying this is better than having two seperate loops? How does that work?

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Utnorris View Post
    Ok, so you are saying this is better than having two seperate loops? How does that work?
    How much does one D5 cost? That is how much better it is.

Xtreme Mentor
    How much does one D5 cost? That is how much better it is.
    Ok, so it costs less, you stated better, how is it better than two seperate loops from a COOLING standpoint?

Desk Build

W/C System

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Waiting is not fun....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MV-G
    3770K 5.00
    7970 1200/1700
    GSkill 2400
    Seasonic Platinum 1000
    Silverstone TJ08-E
    - Koolance AC-370 - Swiftech MCP-35X - Phobya Xtreme 200mm Rad - Koolance VID-AR797 -
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

USA National Debt

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i cant wait for the Dual DDC version to come out
    SYSTEM
    i5-3750K @ 4.6ghz - ASRock Z77 Extreme4 - 16GB Samsung DDR3 - Sapphire R7 370 Nitro 4GB
    Water Cooling
    EK Supremecy - DDC-3.2 w/XSPC Top -Swiftech MCR320-QP - EK Multioption 150

Xtreme Enthusiast
    you guys using mcp655-b ?? if not will it fit in a T3?

I got mine for two reasons.
    1. It provides a really neat place to mount my pump. My pump won't be all that easy to see. When I get it finished I think I'll have a clean set up.
    2. I'll only have to add a radiator and block to cool my video card.

The Typhoon III is an expensive reservoir. Initial investment, that is. I'll save, in the long run, when I expand.
    I saw another reservoir that can hold two D5s but it looks like they go on the bottom. That would take up another bay. (at least)

I do have a question about it though. It comes with 4 acrylic(?) washers. Do they go between the pump hold-down plate and the res body?

The only thing I would like better about it. I wish it had a top fill port that matched my HAFs fill port. I've managed to get it to be the top componant in my loop.
    Last edited by surfhick; 07-06-2009 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Sp

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by surfhick View Post
    I got mine for two reasons.
    1. It provides a really neat place to mount my pump. My pump won't be all that easy to see. When I get it finished I think I'll have a clean set up.
    2. I'll only have to add a radiator and block to cool my video card.

The Typhoon III is an expensive reservoir. Initial investment, that is. I'll save, in the long run, when I expand.
    I saw another reservoir that can hold two D5s but it looks like they go on the bottom. That would take up another bay. (at least)

I do have a question about it though. It comes with 4 acrylic(?) washers. Do they go between the pump hold-down plate and the res body?

The only thing I would like better about it. I wish it had a top fill port that matched my HAFs fill port. I've managed to get it to be the top componant in my loop.
    There are actually small acrylic washers that go on the rubber mounting washers just to spread out the load.

There are also acrylic SPACERS that are included for the 8 poly carbonate compression fittings that come with the T3. The T3 uses a cavity (for want of a better word) to retain the O ring so it doesn't spread out under compression. The poly compression fittings fit that cavity so no spacer needed for T3 mounting (or on any other part with the O ring captivation on the part) but if users want to mount the compression fittings in any parts that don't have the cavity, the spacer slips right on and your good to go.

As for the front fill ports. They are designed that way for several reasons. The goal was for the easiest to install, fill, bleed, and drain system I could come up with. It had to be that for as many different set ups as possible, and for users from novice to uber. With those ports on the front, with the over flow basins to prevent accidents, with two ports so one fills while the other expels trapped air, and the concave inner face you get ease of use no rez with top mounted fill ports can touch.

Post some pictures of your setup man. I honestly get a huge kick out of seeing how people use and mod this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by BoxGods View Post
    There are actually small acrylic washers that go on the rubber mounting washers just to spread out the load.

There are also acrylic SPACERS that are included for the 8 poly carbonate compression fittings that come with the T3. The T3 uses a cavity (for want of a better word) to retain the O ring so it doesn't spread out under compression. The poly compression fittings fit that cavity so no spacer needed for T3 mounting (or on any other part with the O ring captivation on the part) but if users want to mount the compression fittings in any parts that don't have the cavity, the spacer slips right on and your good to go.

As for the front fill ports. They are designed that way for several reasons. The goal was for the easiest to install, fill, bleed, and drain system I could come up with. It had to be that for as many different set ups as possible, and for users from novice to uber. With those ports on the front, with the over flow basins to prevent accidents, with two ports so one fills while the other expels trapped air, and the concave inner face you get ease of use no rez with top mounted fill ports can touch.

Post some pictures of your setup man. I honestly get a huge kick out of seeing how people use and mod this stuff.
    Thank you. I was using the washers in this manner. I just wasn't sure. I didn't even see the ones on the fittings until I read your post. To retain the o-rings in their seats. I'm trying my first case modding and watercooling at the same time. I started out just painting the case. Looking at it, though, I couldn't help but notice how a radiator would fit underneath the top. When researching parts, I liked how I could mount amy pump right to the back of the Typhoon. I think this will make for a cleaner looking loop. You have to look pretty hard to even see the pump. The reservoir with its LEDs will be the only place my water has any color to it. I plan to line the hoses with primochill's yellow anti kink coils. I just need some clamps and elbow fittings to arrive before I finish. My radiator is a swiftech 320 and the top fans will be the Enermax ones with the orange blades. I was afraid of having too many LEDs.

[

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by millertime359 View Post
    Yea, I wouldn't think it would work either. You would basically be turning the res into the rad. I would be interesting to hear from BoxGods if he took that into consideration during the design of this thing.
    The temperature of the water everywhere in the loop will be roughly the same (yay for steady state!), so it wouldn't matter if you had the rad and block on different loops.
    Gaming Box

Ryzen R7 1700X * ASUS PRIME X370-Pro * 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 * XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB * Corsair HX620 * 250GB Crucial BX100 * 1TB Seagate 7200.11

EK Supremacy MX * Swiftech MCR320 * 3x Fractal Venture HP-12 * EK D5 PWM

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by surfhick View Post
    Thank you. I was using the washers in this manner. I just wasn't sure. I didn't even see the ones on the fittings until I read your post. To retain the o-rings in their seats. I'm trying my first case modding and watercooling at the same time. I started out just painting the case. Looking at it, though, I couldn't help but notice how a radiator would fit underneath the top. When researching parts, I liked how I could mount amy pump right to the back of the Typhoon. I think this will make for a cleaner looking loop. You have to look pretty hard to even see the pump. The reservoir with its LEDs will be the only place my water has any color to it. I plan to line the hoses with primochill's yellow anti kink coils. I just need some clamps and elbow fittings to arrive before I finish. My radiator is a swiftech 320 and the top fans will be the Enermax ones with the orange blades. I was afraid of having too many LEDs.

[
    I know lots of companies claim they are real gamers or real modders...I have several hundred mods under my belt though so when I Drew up the T3 it was first and foremost a part for case modders. I could have reversed the pump side with the fitting side for example but that would have made the tubing too far back into the case and the pump (and it's power wire) right in your face. Obviously I didn't ignore performance, but performance is also about how something makes you feel too. Look at the bike above. If you can stare at that and NOT think of a beautiful woman...then you likely ARE a woman lol.

I am so glad your enjoying your T3's and thank you for the pictures.

Edit: The acrylic fitting spacers are ONLY needed if your using the fittings in a part that does NOT have the recess for the O ring built in. The T3 DOES have the recess so you do NOT need to use the spacer with it.
    Last edited by BoxGods; 07-07-2009 at 09:46 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Very interesting can't wait to see some numbers

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Fillports front and center is putting me off somewhat. I imagine you would have to tilt your case back 90deg to fill and bleed. That said it does look handy and sounds like it has performance to match. Where can I buy one? Seems like it's only available on Primochill's site.

Testing results will probably be out soon . . . .let's just say two loops and you will not be sorry. Can't say more but T3 uber alles and nothing will come close at the moment
    DB can you qualify this please: Nothing will come close at the moment meaning...better than two isolated loops with DDC? Two isolated loops with D5? Two loops with 1 DDC? Two loops with 1 D5? Dual DDC2...? Dual Iwakis.....?

Thanks.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Kibbler View Post
    DB can you qualify this please: Nothing will come close at the moment meaning...better than two isolated loops with DDC? Two isolated loops with D5? Two loops with 1 DDC? Two loops with 1 D5? Dual DDC2...? Dual Iwakis.....?

Thanks.
    A little patience it seems:

Quote Originally Posted by skinnee View Post
    I am racing to finish the test results, the dual loop configuration involves quite a bit of testing so its taking a bit longer than I expected.

DB has it dead on, the dual loop configuration of the T3 takes the efficiency curve of the D5 and exploits the crap out of it. When I started testing the dual loop, I had a hard time rationalizing the data. So I ran back upstairs and had Vapor be my second set of eyes to verify the early data. The single loop performance is on par with the Koolance COV-PMP450A, but the dual loop takes the Typhoon III into a different category, there is just nothing to compare it to head-to-head due to the unique design and configuration options.
    Project Millertime: The Core I5 build

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

Xtreme Addict
    Fillports front and center is putting me off somewhat. I imagine you would have to tilt your case back 90deg to fill and bleed. That said it does look handy and sounds like it has performance to match. Where can I buy one? Seems like it's only available on Primochill's site.

Thanks.
    The front makes it a DREAM to use...and there IS a lot of potential for modders. When the face frame is painted it looks awesome for example. For those not wanting to paint their own (even though its very easy to do) There will most likely be versions with chrome plated face, brushed aluminum (think lian li) and colored chrome in several colors. There is also a 1/4" thick machined aluminum face in the works--polished to a mirror finish and black and clear anno.

Lastly, I am a modder so part of my deal when I sold the design was that they keep a few of the T3's in stock un-assembled. That means that the performance portion--the back half--can be merged into or onto anything you want to build. Just shoot Brian at PrimCHill an email and he will be happy to sell you one in its component parts.

If you DO want to paint the face, there is also a very inexpensive Gerber masking set (think special stickers to mask off areas that don't get paint) coming out shortly (as soon as my plotter gets back from the repair shop lol).

Sorry for spamming answer posts in like this...for some reason multi quote is not working for me.
    Last edited by BoxGods; 07-07-2009 at 12:09 AM. Reason: added multi quote remark.

Xtreme Member
    No...you can get it a few other places. Moddersmart has it...I got the two I have from them.
    Project ChAos

MM UFO CYO\Asus P6T6 WS Revolution\Core i7 920 D0\XFX HD 5870 x2\Corsair HX1000\Corsair Dominator PC3 12800\VelociRaptor 150, Seagate 7200.11 1.5TB\HP 36G 15k SAS x2

I got mine at Moddersmart which I believe is the same company as Primochill.
    Tilting the case is the only way I see to fill/bleed mine.

I am Xtreme
    Two separate loops with two D5s will be close from my understanding. I am talking about D5s and the increased performance of a SINGLE D5 with this reservoir compared to ANY D5 top out now when the T3 is used in dual loop configuration. When you see the numbers you will see my point. This is an amazing break though.

Page 1 of 62 12341151 ... LastLast