Thread: PROJECT: Cheap Case Stack for Water Cooling (lots of pics!)

Xtreme Member

Thumbs up PROJECT: Cheap Case Stack for Water Cooling (lots of pics!)

New and old items for current mod:

Type: Qty: Description
    Case 2 Apevia X-Master w/PSU
    PSU 1 Corsair 620W HX
    MOBO 1 Foxconn Bloodrage X58
    CPU 1 Intel Core i7 920
    RAM 1 G.Skill 1600 DDR3 (6GB kit)
    HDD 1 1 G.Skill Falcon 128GB SSD
    HDD 2 Raided 60GB OCZ APEX SSD
    Video 1 ATI Radeon 4890

Water Cooling Accessories

2 Swiftech MCR 220 Radiators stacked
    1 Swiftech MCP655 pump
    1 Swiftech GTX CPU Block
    1 EK X-TOP for MCP655 pump
    1 XPSC 4890 GPU Block
    1 Swiftech MICRE Resevoir
    F1 - Feser One liquid
    Various Bitspower fittings
    bigNG T-balancer controller

So I just finished my latest minor mod of my CM690 case a few months ago and was extremely happy. I was pretty satisfied with it, but felt it wasn’t unique enough. Here is a picture.

IMHO, the case is what makes the biggest difference. Knowing that my PC was going to sit on my desk, I wanted a case that wasn’t going to be too tall. I really like the idea of having a small HTPC on my desk, but I wanted to expand my water cooling as well. I looked into some of the Mountain Mods cases, but thought the small ones were too small and expensive. After browsing Newegg for a few days, I came across this cheap and nicely laid out case…..

The case was like $60 and included a PSU. Why not have two? FYI- the PSU’s are nice, but I will end up selling them.

Here are both of them. One of them is gutted; the other is just out of the box.

Modding them for water cooling and stacking will take some work.

Here is the top half. I cut out the two areas for the tubing to come through. I then placed some protection around newly cut holes.

Here are the two Apex drives going in. The other one is the added waterblock to the video card.

Here is the PSU, hard drive mounting, and DVD drive going in.

I just added the mCubed t-balancer. I really loved the spot of this.

Ok, I originally planned and installed one radiator, but I didn’t like the thought have having my entire system on one Black Ice Stealth GT 240. I scrapped the idea, and went and bought two Swiftech MCR 220 double stacked together shown here:

So during the second week of building the lower half, I totally forgot to take pictures. I really wish I had because the layout looks awesome. Instead, I have created a drawing to explain the layout. Here it is:

Once the lower half was done, the upper half was extremely easy. Rather than explaining each one, I thought I would just show you the rest of them.

I intentionally placed the Falcon drive on the upper half so I can either add a second one later or change the SSD configuration out entirely. The only thing I am currently working on now is a custom case top that has a combination of an acrylic window and some A.C Ryan mesh.

I am also working on a customized desktop with Samurize for display of all my water and system temperatures. Depending on when I finish, these pics might be posted in a separate thread.

Hope you all liked the Mod! Comments?
    MainGamer PC----Intel Core i7 - 6GB Corsair 1600 DDR3 - Foxconn Bloodrage - ATI 6950 Modded - Areca 1880ix-12 - 2 x 120GB G.Skill Phoenix SSD - 2 x 80GB Intel G2 - Lian LI PCA05 - Seasonic M12D 850W PSU
    MovieBox----Intel E8400 - 2x 4GB OCZ 800 DDR2 - Asus P5Q Deluxe - Nvidia GTS 250 - 2x30GB OCZ Vertex - 40GB Intel X25-V - 60GB OCZ Agility- Lian LI PCA05 - Corsair 620W PSU

Xtreme Member
    Very Creative! I like it.

Xtreme Member
    @Darth Penguin every time I see your avatar I get a good laugh, lol.

Spoiler looking good, different.
    RIIIE ~ 950@4.2GHz 1.26v ~ 6GB Dominators @1600MHz ~ 2x Intel X25-M G2 Raid 0 ~ Win 7 64 ~ EVGA GTX480 @900/4000 ~ 30" Dell WFP-HC ~ Corsair TX 850w PSU ~ HAF-X

MCP35X Pump w/ XSPC Acrylic Top
    EK-FC 480GTX Nickel Plexi
    MCR320-QP RAD 3x R4's
    1/2" ID 5/8" OD Tubing
    G 1/4" 1/2" Barbs
    MCRES-Micro
    Apogee XT

Xtreme Member
    Well, cool your project!
    I have a good look is more upright!

Good luck buddy!

SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH!