Page 15 of 173 FirstFirst ... 5121314151617182565115 ... LastLast

Thread: UnOfficial Asus Rampage II Extreme Thread

Um.. What kind of bios socket is there on R2E? That should work as long as it's a PLCC chip.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonelmore View Post
    Asus just release a new official 0805 Bios. Added support for DDR3 2000. It's up on the front page if any of you want it. Straight from Asus's FTP

It may be worth it to some of you who are experiencing the cold boot to give it a try.
    Nice but maybe only for the ones who might risk their cpu apperantly.

Ow yes and can I ask you guys where on what ftp you find these new bios beta's? path to the beta files would be nice to!
    Last edited by Astratuner; 12-22-2008 at 01:34 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Astratuner View Post
    Nice but maybe only for the ones who might risk their cpu apperantly.
    Why would bios 0804 be a risk to the CPU? Did I miss something?

I used 0804 for over a week. No problems with my CPU

i7 965 | Rampage 2 Extreme | Asus 4870X2 | 6gb OCZ BLADE 7-8-7-20 | 4 OCZ SSD V2 in RAID0 |
    1 VelociRaptor 300gb | 1 WD Caviar Black 1TB | Tagan ITZ 1100w PSU | LG 6x BluRay Burner | 52" Sony Bravia LCD

Homemade SS Phase Change | Kayl Custom Lineset

My Case - Treasure Chest Build Thread : http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=218115

Xtreme Member
    I'm thinking about RMA'ing my board because of the problem I had a few days/week ago. I am also thinking about selling it off because of the RMA process of my 4870x2. I sent it on the 8th, 2-day air, yet they are claiming the didnt receive it until the 16th. So, with 5-10 business days to RMA it, I won't have it until probably the 5th of January. that's almost a MONTH to replace a GPU. I'm really angry with them right now.

i7 965 | Rampage 2 Extreme | Asus 4870X2 | 6gb OCZ BLADE 7-8-7-20 | 4 OCZ SSD V2 in RAID0 |
    1 VelociRaptor 300gb | 1 WD Caviar Black 1TB | Tagan ITZ 1100w PSU | LG 6x BluRay Burner | 52" Sony Bravia LCD

My Case - Treasure Chest Build Thread : http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=218115

Corsair problem solution

Heya all.

after I read the whole tread a couple of times trying to solve my own cold boot problem I suddenly realised that maybe my 12 GB Dominator 1600 Mhz got to much juice. I then sat the voltage to 1.55 and now im running strong on 0805 Bios with 12 GB 1603 mhz Dominator.

Just wanted to share my findings.
    Hope it helps =)

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmilos View Post
    Why would bios 0804 be a risk to the CPU? Did I miss something?

I used 0804 for over a week. No problems with my CPU

I'd like to know that too?
    A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have.
    System Specs: CM Stacker STC-T01 | Asus Z68 V Pro Gen3 (BIOS 3202) | INTEL Core i7 2600K @ 5Ghz | Corsair 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Vengeance Blue RAM | Corsair 750W TX PSU | Geforce GTX 580 - EK-FC580 Watercooled | XSPC Drive Bay Res | XSPC Raystorm CPU Watercooled | Swiftech MCR320-QP | Swiftech MCP655 | 1 x Corsair Force GT 120Gb SSD & 3 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500Gb RAID 0 | X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | DELL U2410 (Rev A02) | Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Xtreme Member
    I might be silly saying this but could the Cold Boot problem be an issue with grounding? I had a Foxconn board that would boot on carpet but not in a case.

Quote Originally Posted by Markmb View Post
    Heya all.

after I read the whole tread a couple of times trying to solve my own cold boot problem I suddenly realised that maybe my 12 GB Dominator 1600 Mhz got to much juice. I then sat the voltage to 1.55 and now im running strong on 0805 Bios with 12 GB 1603 mhz Dominator.

Just wanted to share my findings.
    Hope it helps =)

Sounds promising... 2 questions:
    1. are you running your ram at default settings?
    2. Could you please describe your cold boot problem in detail?

Thanks.
    Asus Rampage II Extreme|Intel Core i7 965|Corsair Dominator 6G|Western Digital VelociRaptor|Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB|Seagate Barracuda ES.2|EVGA 9800 GX2|LG GGW H20N|Sony BWU 300S|Pioneer DVR-215L|Logitech G9|Dell 3008WFP|Cooler Master Stacker 832|Thermaltake W0133RU

Quote Originally Posted by FuriousSalesman View Post
    I might be silly saying this but could the Cold Boot problem be an issue with grounding? I had a Foxconn board that would boot on carpet but not in a case.
    In my case, no. This was one of the first things the asus tech suggested I check so I set-up the mobo outside the case with the same results.
    Asus Rampage II Extreme|Intel Core i7 965|Corsair Dominator 6G|Western Digital VelociRaptor|Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB|Seagate Barracuda ES.2|EVGA 9800 GX2|LG GGW H20N|Sony BWU 300S|Pioneer DVR-215L|Logitech G9|Dell 3008WFP|Cooler Master Stacker 832|Thermaltake W0133RU

Xtreme Addict
    Well, I got the RMA board today and...I am extremely disappointed. The RMA board has the QPI/DRAM voltage stuck at 1.46V, the little joystick is broken (goes right, but not always left), and the board seems to be older than my current board even though it was a retail replacement. Sending it back to Asus, they said they will send me another one instead. At least they are picking it up tomorrow and shipping it back at their own cost.

The RMA board was part 90-MIB6L0-G0AAY00Z and my original (now better working board) was part 90-MIB6L0-G0AAY10Z

I'm kind of losing hope for this board working good overall...
    Last edited by dejanh; 12-22-2008 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dejanh View Post
    Well, I got the RMA board today and...I am extremely disappointed. The RMA board has the QPI/DRAM voltage stuck at 1.46V, the little joystick is broken (goes right, but not always left), and the board seems to be older than my current board even though it was a retail replacement. Sending it back to Asus, they said they will send me another one instead. At least they are picking it up tomorrow and shipping it back at their own cost.

The RMA board was part 90-MIB6L0-G0AAY00Z and my original (now better working board) was part 90-MIB6L0-G0AAY10Z

I'm kind of losing hope for this board working good overall...
    I am so sorry, but this is why I refuse to RMA anything to any company. It seems when a new product is sent in a used one is sent back. Before I RMA the mobo via Asus, I'll send it back to newegg for a refund.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by skypx View Post
    I am so sorry, but this is why I refuse to RMA anything to any company. It seems when a new product is sent in a used one is sent back. Before I RMA the mobo via Asus, I'll send it back to newegg for a refund.
    Well, unfortunately my window for replacement with the place I bought it from expired two weeks ago. I have no choice but to go with Asus now. However, if their next board turns out to be a POS I will have to keep the current board and send them back the replacement...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dejanh View Post
    Well, unfortunately my window for replacement with the place I bought it from expired two weeks ago. I have no choice but to go with Asus now. However, if their next board turns out to be a POS I will have to keep the current board and send them back the replacement...
    Same situation here. I am worried about RMA'ing the board and having them give me what's laying around too. I'm worried about my 4870x2 too.

This should not be how the process works. They *should* send you out the newest product comparable to what you purchased. It really doesn't affect their bottom line, and would keep customers coming back. But alas.

I still have a feeling that the overclocking limit has something to do with the memory. Im really thinking about going to the Dominator GT when they are released... Im curious to see if underclocking strong sticks would help.

Xtreme Addict
    That's a lot of money to pay for underclocking, but I guess it is worth a shot

In terms of the RMA, if they send me a dud again I will just ship it back to them and keep what I have. I do not have particularly serious problems with my board other than I have that cold boot issue, in some combinations DRAM channels disappear, and IOH voltage cannot be adjusted + a bunch of minor issues. I do hope my SLI works as I did not have an opportunity to try it yet cause that would be the game killer for me. If I run into SLI trouble on the X58 I'm going back to AMD.
    Last edited by dejanh; 12-22-2008 at 07:38 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I have run SLI in all 3 slots with no problems! I have 2 9800gx2's in quad sli and at first I had one in the top blue slot and one in the bottom white slot. I later put the second card in the second blue slot and it also worked just fine. What I am trying to figure out is why with TURBO on and HT on, my cpu will instantly back down to 4ghz from 4.2 ghz when I start prime95. With HT off this does not happen and the temps look fine. Is it related to the voltage? Does anyone else have this problem, as this is the only problem I am having....
    (New build):MSI Big Bang X-power II with XSPC MB blocks, Core I7 3930k@4.6Ghz with HT on, 3x GTX 480 SLI with EK Waterblocks(for now), X-fi Titanium, Gskill quad kit 16GB 2133mhz, 2x240GB Corsair GT SSD's(raid 0), 3xWD 2TB drives, Silverstone Strider ST1500 Watt, Dell3007WFP and 2x Samsung 305T's. Water loop: EK HF CPU block, XSPC RX480 Rad, Coolgate GC480, Airplex Revolution 420 Rad, 2x DDC 3.25 18W with EK dual top, Caselabs STH10 white with customizations....

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by BringerOdeath View Post
    I have run SLI in all 3 slots with no problems! I have 2 9800gx2's in quad sli and at first I had one in the top blue slot and one in the bottom white slot. I later put the second card in the second blue slot and it also worked just fine. What I am trying to figure out is why with TURBO on and HT on, my cpu will instantly back down to 4ghz from 4.2 ghz when I start prime95. With HT off this does not happen and the temps look fine. Is it related to the voltage? Does anyone else have this problem, as this is the only problem I am having....
    Same thing here. Running 23 multiplier on the 940 with turbo on, turbo goes off as soon as I fire up Prime. There seem to be two states where the CPU clocks down, and this is what is being tripped. Unfortunately, I did not find a way to prevent this. Turning all throttling options does nothing.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Does it throttle down when you have HT off? Mine only happens when HT is on.....
    (New build):MSI Big Bang X-power II with XSPC MB blocks, Core I7 3930k@4.6Ghz with HT on, 3x GTX 480 SLI with EK Waterblocks(for now), X-fi Titanium, Gskill quad kit 16GB 2133mhz, 2x240GB Corsair GT SSD's(raid 0), 3xWD 2TB drives, Silverstone Strider ST1500 Watt, Dell3007WFP and 2x Samsung 305T's. Water loop: EK HF CPU block, XSPC RX480 Rad, Coolgate GC480, Airplex Revolution 420 Rad, 2x DDC 3.25 18W with EK dual top, Caselabs STH10 white with customizations....

Omg this is really a nightmare! Cant believe asus is doing this to you dejanh and skypx have you tried removing bios chips?

Xtreme Member

New Setup

Since last week i'm playing around with a R2E setup. No cold boot issues whatsoever. The only strange thing is that with my setup i cant go over 14 gb/s bandwith by using Everest Ultimate. Sisoft gives my 27 gb/s mem bandwith. Seems my i7 920 does like to get to 200 bclk. The CPU is a 3837A507......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	naamloos.JPG 
Views:	1229 
Size:	159.9 KB 
ID:	91335

So far this setup seems allright:

20 * 201 bclk in bios
    Turbo on
    HTT off
    All other CPU settings off
    vcore 1.35 in bios
    Vqpi 1.35 in bios
    The rest on auto
    Mem DDR1600 @ 8-8-8-24-1
    LLC enabled
    Full phase
    All the other settings on auto

I think the R2E is overvolting the vcore and undervolting the vqpi. See the screenshot. I have set 1.35 vcore in the bios, i'm getting 1.39v. As for vqpi i have set 1.35 in bios and i'm getting 1.31v.........
    Last edited by nordien; 12-22-2008 at 11:23 PM.
    Asus Maximus 3 Extreme | Core i7 860 | Thermalright Venemous X | Corsair Dominator GT 2000-C8 4gb Kit | 2 WD Black FALS 1 TB Raid0 | XFX HD5870 | Coolermaster ATCS 840 | Corsair HX750 Watt | Samsung 2493 HM TFT |

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hmmmm, I will have to try your settings since I have similar components.....I did notice the board overvolts. 1.5v gives me 1.54v. I didn't check the dram/qpi voltage though, Everest is wrong on the voltages then....

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Those of you who are experiencing there turbo mode turning off with prime.. well it's supposed to do that. Prime is putting all core's to 100%. Turbo mode only works on single threaded applications. It overclocks one core and shuts the other 3 down. Your board is performing just perfectly because this is the way intel designed turbo mode. If you run a single threaded app like SuperPi, You'll see that your Turbo mode will work every time because it's a single threaded app. (Unless you have manually set affinity to all cores in the process manager).

And as for the RMA. This is a standard practice with all motherboard manufacturer's. If you RMA your board, you most likely will get a refurbished one back as a replacement. Thats why if your within 30 days of buying the product, you should always RMA to the reseller such as newegg or tigerdirect. Biostar, Asus, EVGA, Gigabyte, all do the same thing. Send refurbs back.

@Bringerofdeath- When you switched your second GX2 from the bottom white slot to the second blue slot, Did you see a performance increase at all? The bottom white slot only runs at a max of 8X so I'm just wondering what kind of difference you saw.

Thanks
    Main Rig
    • Intel Core i7 4790K CPU Stock @ 4.4Ghz
    • Asus Maximus VI Extreme Motherboard
    • 32GB GSKILL Trident X 2400MHZ RAM
    • EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked 4GB GDDR5
    • Corsair TX850W v2 TX Power Supply 70A 12V Rail
    • Swiftech Apex Ultima w/ Apogee Drive II & Dual 120 RAD w/integrated res
    • 2X Seagate 333AS 1TB 7,200 32MB HD's in RAID 0
    • 2X Samsung 830's 128GB in RAID 0
    • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    • Coolermaster HAF-XB
    • Dual Asus ProArt PA248Q 24" IPS LED Monitors
    • Samsung 46" 5600 Series Smart HDTV
    • iPhone 6 Plus 64GB AT&T & Xbox One

UNOFFICIAL Rampage II Extreme Thread

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Those of you who are experiencing there turbo mode turning off with prime.. well it's supposed to do that. Prime is putting all core's to 100%. Turbo mode only works on single threaded applications. It overclocks one core and shuts the other 3 down. Your board is performing just perfectly because this is the way intel designed turbo mode. If you run a single threaded app like SuperPi, You'll see that your Turbo mode will work every time because it's a single threaded app. (Unless you have manually set affinity to all cores in the process manager).

And as for the RMA. This is a standard practice with all motherboard manufacturer's. If you RMA your board, you most likely will get a refurbished one back as a replacement. Thats why if your within 30 days of buying the product, you should always RMA to the reseller such as newegg or tigerdirect. Biostar, Asus, EVGA, Gigabyte, all do the same thing. Send refurbs back.

@Bringerofdeath- When you switched your second GX2 from the bottom white slot to the second blue slot, Did you see a performance increase at all? The bottom white slot only runs at a max of 8X so I'm just wondering what kind of difference you saw.

Thanks
    Oh, ok, but it only happens when HT is on....I noticed that one core completes tests faster than the other though. About the bottom slot, I saw almost no difference in 3dmark06 scores or my games. Maybe it's because it pci-e2.0 slot it isn't affected much, though I did see fitseries saying it was bottlenecking his 3 gtx260's compared to his 790i thats 3x16x pcie.

Xtreme Addict

Thanks
    I can assure you that this is wrong. Turbo will run when using the CPU at 100% with all 8 threads. I will show it to you later with a screenshot. For me it is the temps that trigger turbo shut-off. Hit 85C and bam.

Also, the board I got was brand new, retail, but obviously something wrong with it. If you look closely you can tell nothing was ever screwed or plugged into it. It was new, but faulty.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Disable CPU TM in the bios and it will quite shutting your turbo down. Turbo is only on one core tho. Not all 4.

CPU-Z may tell you it is all four but it's just not reading it right.
    Main Rig
    • Intel Core i7 4790K CPU Stock @ 4.4Ghz
    • Asus Maximus VI Extreme Motherboard
    • 32GB GSKILL Trident X 2400MHZ RAM
    • EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked 4GB GDDR5
    • Corsair TX850W v2 TX Power Supply 70A 12V Rail
    • Swiftech Apex Ultima w/ Apogee Drive II & Dual 120 RAD w/integrated res
    • 2X Seagate 333AS 1TB 7,200 32MB HD's in RAID 0
    • 2X Samsung 830's 128GB in RAID 0
    • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    • Coolermaster HAF-XB
    • Dual Asus ProArt PA248Q 24" IPS LED Monitors