Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ACARD Review Competition: 9010 RAM Disk

Hybrid View

Champion
    The date was pushed back in case anyone didn't get the email.

Good thing too, because I've only done synthetic benchmarks so far, still need to do some real world testing

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by sno.lcn View Post
    The date was pushed back in case anyone didn't get the email.

Good thing too, because I've only done synthetic benchmarks so far, still need to do some real world testing
    Yes I wanted to get mine completed, I can add more. But with CES coming up real quick so time was short.

Xtreme Member
    You can install 16Gb of DDR2 on one 9010, set the jumper to dual mode, and you will have 2x 8Gb "disks". When RAID0'd you will get the same capacity you have now (16Gb) but double the performance.
    If you get a 2nd unit, you repeat the same and end up with one 32Gb disk, comprised of 4x 8Gb drives in RAID0 and 700Mb/sec speed
    i5 660 / Asrock P55M Pro / Ripjaws / GTS250

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Chosen. View Post
    You can install 16Gb of DDR2 on one 9010, set the jumper to dual mode, and you will have 2x 8Gb "disks". When RAID0'd you will get the same capacity you have now (16Gb) but double the performance.
    If you get a 2nd unit, you repeat the same and end up with one 32Gb disk, comprised of 4x 8Gb drives in RAID0 and 700Mb/sec speed
    Thanks Chosen. I must have miss read that in the manual. I was in a big hurry doing a lot of stuff before CES, I will relook at that.

Thanks again

Really? In RAID-0 performance on mine actually decreased quite a bit except for stuff where there is large, sequential I/O. Windows boot and such slowed down by average of ~2 seconds. Windows install also increased. Maybe it's my RAID controller. I might switch it over to my Areca ARC-1220 and see how it performs then instead of using SB750 RAID. Frankly speaking though, the results were as I expected with RAID-0 increasing task time for stuff where it's lots of little bits of I/O.
    Last edited by Particle; 01-15-2009 at 09:49 AM.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ack. My unit half died last night, before I finished testing.

I can get it partially working but I think I have to redo all the results to satisfy people. Not good :/
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    Today: "MPAA threatens to disconnect Google from the Internet"
    Tomorrow: "Google removes MPAA term from its search engine"
    Day after tomorrow: "No one remembers who or what MPAA is , nor cares anymore"

The un-extreme XIP
    my review will be posted today in the xtreme reviews section. Time to get cracking on it. dammn procrastination .

i5 3570K@ 4.8GHz 1.32v, 32GB Gskill 1866, Gigabyte g1 sniper m3
    HD7970@1125/1575 stock voltage
    1TB F1+2*128GB Crucial M4
    Silverstone 450w, no case
    2560*1440@120Hz overclocked catleap
    Steelseries G6v2+5600dpi modded logitech trackball

Xtreme Member
    Does anybody have a setup to compare and to create a review about ANS-9010 versus ANS-9010B in single and RAID mode? Would be interesting to see those two units competeing against each other. I have a freaky thought that the cheaper units in RAID mode would won - don't ask why. (Haven't touched by myself-not sold in EU yet )

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by DonNiger View Post
    Does anybody have a setup to compare and to create a review about ANS-9010 versus ANS-9010B in single and RAID mode? Would be interesting to see those two units competeing against each other. I have a freaky thought that the cheaper units in RAID mode would won - don't ask why. (Haven't touched by myself-not sold in EU yet )
    I think you would find performance to be identical, with only the maximum size of the disk varying (6 dimm slots vs 8). There's no difference in speed between having 1 and 8 sticks of ram in the 9010, so having 6 sticks in either system should be the same too.

I doubt the models have any physically different components, so I am making that assumption in my answer.
    Last edited by gumballguy; 01-31-2009 at 02:42 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Damn it I had more ram I'd enter but I only have 2 gigs and no review writing experience.

I've had the damnedest time getting consistent results. I have to reboot the damn machine to clear out the disk cache.
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Member
    You seem to have problems running much of anything :p

Motherboards mainly. heh I've blown through my fair share of them, but I blame build quality. Most of my failures were MOSFET related. And I don't think you can blame the Catalyst problems I've been having on me either.

Rule 1A:

Rule 2:

Rule 2A:

Rule 3:

Xtreme Enthusiast
    My review can be found at: http://forums.primelogic.com.au/inde...pic,758.0.html

I decided I'd be special by posting elsewhere. Seems like I'm not the only one People can pm me here as well for questions or testing requests.

It's a bit long. I felt it was justified. There's a lot to discuss

Cheers,
    gbg
    Last edited by gumballguy; 01-31-2009 at 01:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    Today: "MPAA threatens to disconnect Google from the Internet"
    Tomorrow: "Google removes MPAA term from its search engine"
    Day after tomorrow: "No one remembers who or what MPAA is , nor cares anymore"

The un-extreme XIP
    My idea was to use software raid to get it to show up as a single logical volume, then use vmware to effectively boot from the software raid and do real world tests within vmware ,but the performance hit isn't negligible. I'll have to do the tests with a real os.

this will take another day, sorry.

edit: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...80#post3618180
    Last edited by cirthix; 01-31-2009 at 12:36 PM.

i5 3570K@ 4.8GHz 1.32v, 32GB Gskill 1866, Gigabyte g1 sniper m3
    HD7970@1125/1575 stock voltage
    1TB F1+2*128GB Crucial M4
    Silverstone 450w, no case
    2560*1440@120Hz overclocked catleap
    Steelseries G6v2+5600dpi modded logitech trackball

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm quite disappointed by how many people didn't do the review... there are 4 links here, and we know Particle's is on the way.

I really hope 5 people didn't take the unit and run. That's quite awful if true

Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by gumballguy View Post
    I'm quite disappointed by how many people didn't do the review... there are 4 links here, and we know Particle's is on the way.

I really hope 5 people didn't take the unit and run. That's quite awful if true
    http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=593841

Xtreme Member
    I'm quite disappointed by how many reviewers (including TechReport) managed to get the same scores with the ANS-9010 in dual mode, as in single mode.
    I mean, come on!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm quite disappointed by how many reviewers (including TechReport) managed to get the same scores with the ANS-9010 in dual mode, as in single mode.
    I mean, come on!
    It does depend on what theyre testing. Read/writes go up, IOPS/seeks stay the same. The benchmark application also may not work (I found at least 2 that didnt) on such fast drives. If the benchmark app screens the actual speeds behind a silly number (eg: if you couldn't look into individual speeds in pcmark you'd just get a meaningless end number) it will also hide that the app is failing.

Administrator
    I mean, come on!
    I thought that was strange also. Mine was in single mode which was the same as what others said was dual, very close numbers.

I tried in dual mode with my ARC-1231ML and had problems with that, so I kept it in single as I was off to XS and short on time.

Mine was posted at OCF on the 31st:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=594189

It isn't in the review, but I ordered some Fujitsu 15K RPM SAS drives that I'll be comparing the ACARD to as well. Testing will start tonight, actually.

Folks, RAID-0 isn't a magical thing that will double all performance. It's going to matter when you're doing lots of large, sequential I/O but not much of anything otherwise. For real-world usage like boot drives and program loads, RAID-0 will probably even slow you down versus a single drive.
    Last edited by Particle; 02-05-2009 at 08:10 AM.

Rule 1A:

Rule 2:

Rule 2A:

Rule 3:

Xtreme CCIE
    Any word on who ever won the second 9010 + eSATA enclosure? We must be a bit past the extended evaluation day by now.
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Serra View Post
    Any word on who ever won the second 9010 + eSATA enclosure? We must be a bit past the extended evaluation day by now.
    Evaluation period was extended due to the delayed deliveries, as far as I remember.

Xtreme CCIE
    Evaluation period was extended due to the delayed deliveries, as far as I remember.
    Well he said it would be extended accordingly with the review period. The review period was extended until the end of January, and the original evaluation period was going to be 10 days... so... should be ~Feb 10 or so...
    Dual CCIE (Route\Switch and Security) at your disposal. Have a Cisco-related or other network question? My PM box is always open.

Xtreme Network:
    - Cisco 3560X-24P PoE Switch
    - Cisco ASA 5505 Firewall
    - Cisco 4402 Wireless LAN Controller
    - Cisco 3502i Access Point

So everybody got their unit apart from me despite being sent a email just before christmas saying I'd be getting some to test, thats great. If I had some kind of notification then fine, as I didn't, this company now = blacklisted in my books.

"Prowler"
    X570 Tomahawk | R7 3700X | 2x16GB Klevv BoltX @ 3600MHz CL18 | Powercolor 6800XT Red Devil | Xonar DX 7.1 | 2TB Barracuda | 256GB & 512GB Asgard NVMe drives | 2x DVD & Blu-Ray opticals | EVGA Supernova 1000w G2

Cooling:

6x 140mm LED fans, 1x 200mm LED fan | Modified CoolerMaster Masterliquid 240

Asrock Z77 thread! | Asrock Z77 Extreme6 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Review | Asrock P67 Extreme4/6 Pro3 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 thread | Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Review | Asrock Z68 Gen3 Thread | 8GB G-Skill review | TK 2.ZERO homepage | P5Q series mBIOS thread
    Modded X570 Aorus UEFIs

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast