Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast

Thread: PCPER.com: 5 GHZ+ Phenom II Overclock on Dry Ice, 6Ghz on LN2

Xtreme Addict
    I am, that was my freind that said that. I want AMD to do well. I really do. Sometimes I believe the right hand is not working with the left hand though. Sometimes it seems like the Marketing dept is just not going along with what the enginering dept is.

It might do it, and it's good if it does, but what I'm getting at is what if it doesn't? That would not be good, and we don;t wanna see anything bad happen.

Xtreme Member
    Anyone know how much these will cost yet? Also I presume am2+ boards supporting ddr2 can use danebs? If so, may be significantly cheaper than a core i7 system.
    Q9300 l 4GB DDR2 l HD 4850 l GA-X38-DQ6 l 2.5TB HD l VX550 l Dell S2409W l Vista X64

Yes, many if not most AM2+ boards are going to support both AM2+ and AM3 Denebs. It just requires a quick BIOS update from the manufacturer. There's nothing technical keeping it from working.

Many already do.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by dinos22 View Post
    yeah i doubt it as well but its good to keep grounded because this is beyond any and every expectation i've had for AMD CPUs

really good news but i would hate for it to become sour news that's all i guess

lol no Einstein
    I would argue this ... K8, when it launched, was pretty phenomenal .... major leap forward over the crop of CPUs at the time.
    One hundred years from now It won't matter
    What kind of car I drove What kind of house I lived in
    How much money I had in the bank Nor what my cloths looked like.... But The world may be a little better Because, I was important In the life of a child.
    -- from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    Yes, many if not most AM2+ boards are going to support both AM2+ and AM3 Denebs. It just requires a quick BIOS update from the manufacturer. There's nothing technical keeping it from working.

Many already do.
    The AM2+ deneb will probably work on an AM2 board.

BUT: I wonder if the AM3 will work on AM2 boards. (Assuming the AM2 board already supports the current AM2+ chips.) That would be a Phenomenal achievement... compatible over 2 socket upgrades.
    FX-8350, Powercolor ATI R9 290X LCS, OCZ Vertex 4, Crosshair V Forumula-Z, AMD Radeon DDR3-2133 2x8Gb, Corsair HX1000W, Thermaltake Xaser VI, Xonar D2X, Water Cooling 140.3

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by JumpingJack View Post
    I would argue this ... K8, when it launched, was pretty phenomenal .... major leap forward over the crop of CPUs at the time.
    you argue everything

yeah i meant to say that i was talking about the difference between my expectations and this news for upcoming gen of their CPUs
    K8=
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Phenom II looks to be a fun piece of hardware to play with. Exciting news indeed! Hats off to AMD for looking out for the enthusiast as well as enterprise with these new innovations. Cant wait to build my 4ghz + AMD machine after the new year. To all you repeat AMD bashers:

We will think of you as we apply voltage and cooling to our wonderful Phenoms!!@!!!
    ASROCK 970 Extreme 3 // FX-6200 @ 4.65 (245x? 64bit os) 1.45v,2200 nb/HT //8GB Mushkin DDR3 @833 8-8-8-24 cmd1 1.55v // HD7850// Silverstone 650w // ~32inch portal // WDgreen and blue // Kingston v300 120GB SSD // watercooled with Swiftech storm rev2, Fez 240 , 655 pump not packed into a Corsair Obsidian 650D ///

Xtreme Mentor
    you argue everything

yeah i meant to say that i was talking about the difference between my expectations and this news for upcoming gen of their CPUs
    K8=
    I know, that's what makes it fun.
    One hundred years from now It won't matter
    What kind of car I drove What kind of house I lived in
    How much money I had in the bank Nor what my cloths looked like.... But The world may be a little better Because, I was important In the life of a child.
    -- from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft

Xtreme Member
    core2uo:coreduo::phenomII:phenom

if true then yay!

Xtreme Addict
    [H]'s staff are pretty blase about this.
    E7200 @ 3.4 ; 7870 GHz 2 GB
    Intel's atom is a terrible chip.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by cegras View Post
    [H]'s staff are pretty blase about this.
    Busy touching each other in BFG's office
    i3 2100, MSI H61M-E33. 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws.
    MSI GTX 460 Twin Frozr II. 1TB Caviar Blue.
    Corsair HX 620, CM 690, Win 7 Ultimate 64bit.

Xtreme Guru
    The look on peoples faces if AMD flops again

Lets hope thats not true hehe

Xtreme Mentor
    hey Nedjo

the LN2 pot macci used is actually called Dragon Evo heheheh
    hehehe, to nisam znao!
    Adobe is working on Flash Player support for 64-bit platforms as part of our ongoing commitment to the cross-platform compatibility of Flash Player. We expect to provide native support for 64-bit platforms in an upcoming release of Flash Player following the release of Flash Player 10.1.

silver wall jumper X
    Quote Originally Posted by GAR View Post
    best news in a long time -give em a break - can't wait to bench an AMD that is worth the effort - and those puppies sound like they are fun

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    Yeah, I'd rather keep boards like we have now just with better PWMs. I don't need artwork, I just want a slab of PCB with some PCIe slots on it, some RAM slots, and a CPU socket. I care not what it looks like or how "simple" or "old" the layout is. Style can bite me. Give me an affordable board that can demonstrate good performance any day!

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzfest05 View Post
    IMO the current AM2 offerings arent very impressive im not saying they wont perform but I would rather go with the feature stacked intel 1366 boards which look nice offer performance and are stacked with features
    Even my old M3A32 has one of the best power distribution systems I've ever seen. NO vDrop and NO vDroop, either. I couldn't believe it and assumed I had gotten a "golden board" but several others here on XS reported the same thing. It also has 6 +1 external SATA ports and RAID 5 on down. Newer SB750 boards have similar characteristics. All have AMD Overdrive, which has unbelievable options for clocks, timings, multi's, and voltage control. What more could you want ...?
    Last edited by QuietIce; 11-22-2008 at 04:12 AM.
    Opteron 180 @ 2.8 GHz || A8N32-SLI || 2x 1Gb Corsair 3500LL Pro || 7900 GTX || Tt 680W PurePower
    MCP655 > Storm > MCW60 > 3/4" T-line > MCP655 > Storm (Opty 165) > 2-302 HC w/2x 140CFM Deltas

Latest Toy: 940BE || M3A32-MVP || Corsair TwinX2048-6400C4D || OCZ Stealth 600W

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by GAR View Post

You can always hope(that they flop),can't you

edit:
    Fuad is reporting 5+Ghz Phenom IIs are running Far Cry 2 just fine:

Phenom II runs Far Cry 2 at 5GHz+ Print E-mail
    Written by Fuad Abazovic
    Saturday, 22 November 2008 01:28

Austin 2008: New LN2 overclocker in town

LN2 is a dangerous liquid and if you are not careful you can burn an arm or two, but if you want some top overclocking scores, you still have to use it.

AMD has demonstrated that Deneb, Phenom II CPU, when cooled with LN2 can run stable at over 5GHz+ and run stable Far Cry 2 benchmark. This is a great score as the guys who were overlocking have said that this was the first time they seriously played with Deneb overclocking.

They used Gigabyte motherboard in AM2+ edition with 790GX chipset and the chipset is the part of this success story as the guys who made it have said that they believe it’s the best one AMD made so far.

The temperature was insane minus 186 Celsius and we recon they used 1.9V voltage, something that you use only if you have a superb cooling. This clearly shows that Deneb, Phenom II will have a fighting chance and it should stand much better compared to Intel’s lineup but we are still no aware how Deneb goes against the same clocked Nehalem, Core i7.

Here is Sami Maekinen AMD's top notch overclocker and the chap who helped develop Overdive software OC tool next to 5GHz+ Deneb running stable.
    Last edited by informal; 11-22-2008 at 04:40 AM.

Xtreme Mentor
    gogo AMD my sister wants a computer soon to go to university, this will go in it if all goes well (and ddr3 drops a lil bit more I feel dirty enough having one intel rig in the house )
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James

Quote Originally Posted by Gautam View Post
    I spy a Dragon Evo.
    He was the first person to ever get one I think.
    If Macci is hitting those kinds of clocks on LN2 with Dragon Evo...wonder what he would do with a F1 extreme...Sami PM me your info again, time for an upgrade
    Looks like AMD is back in the LN2 game after all this time. Pretty cool
    Nehalem kind of sucks for extreme overclocking on LN2 to be honest. The LN2 party since dothan had to end some time I guess lol.
    Last edited by k|ngp|n; 11-22-2008 at 05:33 AM.

OC Jedi (on stand-by)
    The only downside I see here, is the amount of LN2 we will have to spend running the CPU at -190C all day long

Nice to see that AMD is back in business. Now where is my AM2 board again? After CES things should get interesting again =) Finally a change in the benching scene. Benching C2Ds all the time is a little boring and Nehalem is not exactly much fun under LN2 as of right now =/

Fingers crossed, AMD is right and that CPU is not cherry picked or special in any form.
    オタク
    "Perfection is a state you should always try to attain, yet one you can never reach." - me =)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ok, so when we can see some benchmarks? Must Cest be the firs stop, or some one can share sone little more informations about the Phenom II and any benchmark?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietIce View Post

What more could you want ...?
    You could want it to say Intel on it, brand is all that matters right?

Heh, just look at the "LOL AMD is going to fail and you are all idiots. Oh but I hope they do okay." comments.

I am Xtreme
    Originally Posted by GAR

Quote Originally Posted by Informal
    You can always hope(that they flop),can't you
    He said IF they flop, so why are you acting like he said when they flop? Or even worse hope they flop. He then says let's HOPE they don't. WOW, So you're turning concern into a Bash even when posters aren't bashing, amazing!

Most folks wants to see AMD do well, some want to them at least catch Intel. ALL OF US know prices will go up if they don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Donnie,look the post above yours,MrMOjoz summed it up perfectly!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMojoZ
    Heh, just look at the "LOL AMD is going to fail and you are all idiots. Oh but I hope they do okay." comments
    "Oh but I hope they do okay" should make us forget the first part,even if it was not said directly but just hinted at.

BTW i'm not going to get myself into an argument with you and make the same mistake Rammsteiner made.For me there is nothing more to say regarding your comment.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post

"Oh but I hope they do okay" should make us forget the first part,even if it was not said directly but just hinted at.

BTW i'm not going to get myself into an argument with you and make the same mistake Rammsteiner made.For me there is nothing more to say regarding your comment.
    Yeah, sometimes there's no point in going that way I learned the hardway.

But indeed, people shout left and right 'Oh, I hope this and that' while they mean all about it. Im not saying who does and who doesnt mean it, but certain people have about sub zero reliability, so why should we take it serious in anyway.

Although the LN2 stuff is very cool, Im quite curious how Deneb runs with like a Vapochill and such cooling, cooling that is able to run 24/7
    Synaptic Overflow

CPU:
    -Intel Core i7 920 3841A522
    --CPU: 4200Mhz| Vcore: +120mV| Uncore: 3200Mhz| VTT: +100mV| Turbo: On| HT: Off
    ---CPU block: EK Supreme Acetal| Radiator: TCF X-Changer 480mm
    Motherboard:
    -Foxconn Bloodrage P06
    --Blck: 200Mhz| QPI: 3600Mhz
    Graphics:
    -Sapphire Radeon HD 4870X2
    --GPU: 750Mhz| GDDR: 900Mhz
    RAM:
    -3x 2GB Mushkin XP3-12800
    --Mhz: 800Mhz| Vdimm: 1.65V| Timings: 7-8-7-20-1T
    Storage:
    -3Ware 9650SE-2LP RAID controller
    --2x Western Digital 74GB Raptor RAID 0
    PSU:
    -Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250W
    -Windows Vista Business x64

ORDERED: Sapphire HD 5970 OC
    LOOKING FOR: 2x G.Skill Falcon II 128GB SSD, Windows 7

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post

Its only you and certain other persons who see such things and think its shameless attack against amd.
    I didn't even noticed that post till everyone raged about it... good way to make a mountain out of a molehill.

Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast