Thread: I'm thinking about installing new car speakers.

I'm thinking about installing new car speakers.

I've been on a quest this year to upgrade the audio system in my 2001 Impala. I'm no audiophile, but I wanted something better than the stock system. I already installed a new cd player in May, and it looks like I'll be able to afford new speakers in a couple weeks. I've already decided on a set of Pioneers, but I'm wondering if I ought to replace the speaker wiring as well. I'll be doing all the labor myself, and I want to know if there would be any improvement and if it would be worth the time and effort. Thanks for any help.
    -Turkey Volume Guessing Man

Xtreme Mentor
    Definitely do not get Pioneer speakers. They may be cheap, but compared to others they are rubbish. Go to a specialty shop and buy good ones that are on sale.
    "To exist in this vast universe for a speck of time is the great gift of life. Our tiny sliver of time is our gift of life. It is our only life. The universe will go on, indifferent to our brief existence, but while we are here we touch not just part of that vastness, but also the lives around us. Life is the gift each of us has been given. Each life is our own and no one else's. It is precious beyond all counting. It is the greatest value we have. Cherish it for what it truly is."

Xtreme Cruncher
    Don't replace the wiring, it's an unnecessary headache and will gain you nothing. Wire is wire. You may have to cut the stock speaker plugs off and install new ones, usually supplied with the new speakers. Use solder and heat shrink tubing for the connections. Just be sure you get he + and - right or you'll have speakers that are out of phase.
    i7 3970X @ 4500MHz 1.28v
    Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    4x4GB Corsair Dominator GT 2133MHz 9-11-10-27
    Gigabyte Windforce 7970 OC 3-way Crossfire
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    HK 3.0-MCP655-Phobya 400mm rad
    Corsair AX1200i
    Sandisk Exrtreme 240GB
    3x2TB WD Greens for storage
    TT Armor VA8003SWA

Xtreme Member
    +1 You dont need to replace the wiring unless your running more watts from an amp. Since your just using the built in amp from your CD player the stock wiring is fine. Which speakers do you intend to replace, tweeters, doors or mids? You might get a bit more clarity but it won't be any louder.
    iRAQ - Apple's upcoming server racks

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Th3MadScientist View Post
    +1 You dont need to replace the wiring unless your running more watts from an amp. Since your just using the built in amp from your CD player the stock wiring is fine. Which speakers do you intend to replace, tweeters, doors or mids? You might get a bit more clarity but it won't be any louder.
    Not always true either.

Agree that you dont want to replace the wiring, since your CD Player is probably 18W RMS @ some ridiculous high THD...

However, Aftermarket speakers are almost guaranteed to be 4ohms where as some OEM's use 6 or 8ohm speakers... so dropping the resistance in half would actually make it louder... granted it will be distorted muddy loud.. but such is the nature of the beast.

Oh yeah, definitely do the labor yourself.

Xtreme Cruncher
    kenwood is good speaker brand
    Incoming new computer after 5 long years

YOU want to FIGHT CANCER OR AIDS join us at WCG and help to have a better FUTURE

I'm going to replace the two 6 1/2" speakers in the doors and the two 6"x9" speakers in the back of my car, though I'm not sure if I'll replace them all at the same time due to budget restraints. I might do just the ones in the doors for now then wait a little longer to replace the ones in the back of my car.

Is Kenwood better than Pioneer? There was some Kenwood speakers I was considering and I could get those instead.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by TVGM View Post
    I'm going to replace the two 6 1/2" speakers in the doors and the two 6"x9" speakers in the back of my car, though I'm not sure if I'll replace them all at the same time due to budget restraints. I might do just the ones in the doors for now then wait a little longer to replace the ones in the back of my car.

Is Kenwood better than Pioneer? There was some Kenwood speakers I was considering and I could get those instead.
    If you want my advice.

Replace the 6x9"s with an adapter plate to make the holes 6.5" and use 4 6.5" speakers.. reason why??? Well lets put it this way, how many oval subwoofers do you see?? 6x9 will produce more bass, but its inaccurate bass and often distorted... 6.5" will provide less bass but more "accurate" bass.

2nd, I would put Pioneer over Kenwood, but again, neither is all that good, perhaps post up a budget, and we will see what we can find for you.

Alpine is decent for what you want (basically a good set straight from a box) and the type S can be had for relatively good prices.

I'd like to get off as cheap as possible, but the absolute most I'd be willing to spend is $150. Until this point, these are the two sets I've been considering.

http://tinyurl.com/4skmzl
    http://tinyurl.com/4wcmqh
    or
    http://tinyurl.com/4xvydx
    http://tinyurl.com/4fsdwl

Xtreme Cruncher
    Im just going to go ahead and say no.

Dont waste your time or money on 3 or 4 way speakers, the 3rd way generally is out of your hearing range... stick to 2 or if absolutely necessary 3 way.

seriously, those speakers will sound better than stock, due to poly infused cone but are average at best in the realm of speakers...

Take this how you want, but what you hear from your car, is 70% from the front speakers, i would spend 100 on the front speakers and 50 dollars max on a pair of "rear" fill speakers.

Xtreme Member
    the 6x9's provide better bass then the door speakers IMO.
    iRAQ - Apple's upcoming server racks

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] leviathan18 View Post
    kenwood is good speaker brand
    I also bought some Kenwood speakers for my SUV. They sound great but during cold weather? The sound weak, till the temps inside the car start to go up, then the sound is great.

I'm very pleased with my Kenwood, I paid $69.99 for a pair of 6x8, got two pairs for my SUV.

I got all my stuff from http://www.crutchfield.com/.

They give you all the accessories you need for free. The site is very helpful and so is their staff, I'd highly suggest going there instead of eBay which I lov to get stuff from but speakers? Never, shipping charges are ridiculous sometimes.
    Last edited by Nasgul; 09-19-2008 at 06:51 PM.
    ASUS P5B Deluxe P965 BIOS 1236 | Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 8MBL2 @ 3.15GHZ | G.Skill DDR2 800 F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ & XTreem DDR 800 D9GMH - 4GB RAM Total | 4:5 Ratio @ 350fsbx9 | Tuniq Tower 120 | BFG GeForce 9800GTX | Seagate 2x 250GB Perpendicular HDDs RAID-0 | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W EPS12V | Samsung TOC T240 24" LCD Monitor |

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i have infinity 6 1/2 2way component speakers and in all four doors of my 03 Saturn L200, and i havent had a single problem with them at all. Im running a Sony Xplod Head unit that's been through more cars than i have and i have no problems with distortion or sound quality. I would also recommend crutchfield, and i would shy away from the "what fits my car" thing in best buy. It is never correct. There's my two cents...

my car here.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Th3MadScientist View Post
    the 6x9's provide better bass then the door speakers IMO.
    better??? No

More??? Yes

Again, You dont see oval subwoofers, there is a reason for that.

Infinity is a good brand too... and as you said you have 6.5" Component sets which have crossovers and seperate tweets and are essentially 2 way. not 3 or 4 or 5 and dont have outrageous power handing claims.. i was at the power handling claims of those ebay speakers.. 600W?? NO way

I am a former dB Drag Racing Competitor, and was @ one time MECP (Basic) Certified.

What's the difference between 2 way and 3/4 way?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Two way speakers have a tweeter and a midrange driver, 3 ways have 3 drivers meaning two tweeters and a midrange, 4 ways have 4 drivers 3 tweeters and midrange,

but human hearing on avg. is 20Hz to 20,000Hz... the small 3 way tweeters are generally just exceeding the 20kHz upper limit of human hearing... a quality 2 way set will out perform a lesser 3 way set.

c[_]
    Just a note on 6x9's - Given the frequency range they are usually operating in they are perfectly fine to use and will not create much distortion. Subwoofers do not use the oval style cone because at the frequency and operating levels they require very stiff and strong cones to avoid flex. An oval cone could do this fine with a lot of work...

Component speakers will sound the best but you need to place the tweeters separate from the main driver.

You can probably get away with just replacing the front speakers with these: http://tinyurl.com/4skmzl
    Test the system, if you still want more then change the rears.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Okay, I think I'm going to replace the front speakers and go from there. Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Xtreme Member
    imo stay away from car audio, it's expensive and it's never going to sound as good as a cheap set of bookshelf's next to you computer.

CPU Z:2700 2k1:27952 2k3:12282 2k5:5763 PCM05 AQ3
    Opteron 165 s939_____OCZ RAM/PSU_____BBATI X800xl

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    Just a note on 6x9's - Given the frequency range they are usually operating in they are perfectly fine to use and will not create much distortion. Subwoofers do not use the oval style cone because at the frequency and operating levels they require very stiff and strong cones to avoid flex. An oval cone could do this fine with a lot of work...

Component speakers will sound the best but you need to place the tweeters separate from the main driver.

You can probably get away with just replacing the front speakers with these: http://tinyurl.com/4skmzl
    Test the system, if you still want more then change the rears.
    I still wouldnt buy Kenwood... i would go with Alpine, Infinity.. to me Kenwood is the "Best Buy" brand along with Pioneer and Rockford Fosgate....this is equivalent to buying a Compaq computer..

Go with an audio store brand... like Aforementioned Alpine or Infinity, Diamond makes nice stuff too but gets expensive as magnj said.

Best of luck with the decision, and let us know your before and after thoughts.

Cheers

Xtreme Mentor
    Hertz is a really good brand too if you can find them.
    The local car audio shop sells them and they are amazing.
    Amazing value too
    "To exist in this vast universe for a speck of time is the great gift of life. Our tiny sliver of time is our gift of life. It is our only life. The universe will go on, indifferent to our brief existence, but while we are here we touch not just part of that vastness, but also the lives around us. Life is the gift each of us has been given. Each life is our own and no one else's. It is precious beyond all counting. It is the greatest value we have. Cherish it for what it truly is."

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by bullet2urbrain View Post
    I still wouldnt buy Kenwood... i would go with Alpine, Infinity.. to me Kenwood is the "Best Buy" brand along with Pioneer and Rockford Fosgate....this is equivalent to buying a Compaq computer..

Go with an audio store brand... like Aforementioned Alpine or Infinity, Diamond makes nice stuff too but gets expensive as magnj said.

Best of luck with the decision, and let us know your before and after thoughts.

Cheers
    Kenwood, Alpine, Infinity, Blaupunkt are all store brand around here.. rockford isnt much better until you go for high end stuff and kicker is just a tier above that..

Really if you want quality you go for Adire Audio (if you can find them), Memphis Audio (also makes "Cliffe Designs"), or a myriad of others that are not found in a general audio/electronics outlet (Klipsch not included, they suck).

I just picked the kenwoods because out of the options given they looked to have the stiffest cone and best surround to allow the most travel while maintaining linear movement.. which is what you want.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasgul View Post
    I also bought some Kenwood speakers for my SUV. They sound great but during cold weather? The sound weak, till the temps inside the car start to go up, then the sound is great.

I'm very pleased with my Kenwood, I paid $69.99 for a pair of 6x8, got two pairs for my SUV.

I got all my stuff from http://www.crutchfield.com/.

They give you all the accessories you need for free. The site is very helpful and so is their staff, I'd highly suggest going there instead of eBay which I lov to get stuff from but speakers? Never, shipping charges are ridiculous sometimes.
    the joy of summer all year but i will trade winter for chavez any time
    Incoming new computer after 5 long years

YOU want to FIGHT CANCER OR AIDS join us at WCG and help to have a better FUTURE

walmart sells a speaker by lightning audio which is a rockford fosgate speaker and they dont sound bad either