Thread: 8800Ultra + BlackGate Recap

Hybrid View

Xtreme Member
    where did you get the caps from?

do you think 3300 and 3900 would be too much? I've got 2 cards to do and two old mobos with 5 of each...

you also did the OCP, OVP mods as well? Can you say exactly what you did for those, the thread is pretty jumbled and includes lots of stuff on GTS, GT's as well (this thread http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=162124)

TIA

edit: nm these caps are only 6.3V and they need to be 16V, looks like I will be getting some...

also gonna do the chokes and caps and ovp mod... any advice?
    Last edited by 7499richard; 09-14-2008 at 08:01 AM.
    CPU: Lapped QX6700 @ 4000MHz, bench @ 4250MHz
    RAM: Teamgroup DDRII PC6400 @ 1066 cas5
    MOBO: eVGA 680i SLI
    VID: eVGA 8800GTX + Zotac 8800GTX SLI...GPU voltmodded....Memory voltmodded (both cards)
    BOOT Drive: Seagate 320GB 7200.10 RAID 0
    Storage Drive: Seagate 640GB 7200.11 RAID 1
    Samsung Super Write Master
    Coolermaster Real Power Pro 850W
    Custom Bench Table
    LaCie 19inch CRT

Single Stage Phase Change - CPU
    Water - VGA's

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by munim View Post
    Whoa! Could you explain in Layman's terms what you've done or how this works?
    ive removed the five little stock 180uf caps in the pic and replaced with high quality audio caps: blackgates

if you read up a bit on caps/blackgates.. these caps increase/expand frequency.. filter/remove noise.. etc

Quote Originally Posted by Nosfer@tu View Post
    Thx for sharing mate
    sure mate

Quote Originally Posted by theclash View Post
    Great mod! Are these standard Blackgates, or are they the K series?
    the FK.. the 1000uf one is an amazing cap

Quote Originally Posted by nfm View Post
    Great effort, especially on the Auzentech cards before. You stated +20Mhz in the first post but no gain in the second. I don't see how caps can improve picture quality. I tried recapping before and soldering in parallel to each phases using Panasonic FM series with zero improvements, most likely placebo effect in your case. Too much capacitance just ruins the circuit, but with BlackGates caps you never know .
    well even vcore modded 750 core wasnt stable.. so im not surprised there is no gain from the 1500uf theres only so much caps can do.. im suspecting some parts on the card are hindering anymore than 740 stable

idk how the panasonic fm do.. but these blackgates warranted 20 core and 50 shader/mem: 740/1800/2400DDR and i can game at these clocks nonstop - just wasnt able to do this before no way no how

as for picture quality idk what to say.. im not that knowledgeable to tell you guys why it has improved.. in my own words probably these caps push more of the graphics the gpu produces to the display what i can tell you guys for sure is that im just enjoying the results im getting..

Quote Originally Posted by 7499richard View Post
    where did you get the caps from?

do you think 3300 and 3900 would be too much? I've got 2 cards to do and two old mobos with 5 of each...

you also did the OCP, OVP mods as well? Can you say exactly what you did for those, the thread is pretty jumbled and includes lots of stuff on GTS, GT's as well (this thread http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=162124)

TIA

edit: nm these caps are only 6.3V and they need to be 16V, looks like I will be getting some...

also gonna do the chokes and caps and ovp mod... any advice?
    from soniccraft.. @ canada you can getem from partsconnexion

idk what kind of effect the 2200/3300/or more would have on the card/gpu.. so far i only went 1500uf

the only vmod i did was the vcore mod but since then ive removed it.. too much heat for air cooling and i got an ac x8800 cooler on now

highest ive taken it to on the vcore mod + caps is 770/2100/2500DDR - light benching

i wouldve done the choke/caps mods in that thread but theres no more space to work with on air cooling.. if id go water/phase than yeh..

ovp: i didnt get to need that mod

if youre gonna do any vmod no less than water cooling

yeh go ahead and do the chokes/caps and see what u get out of that

good luck
    Last edited by NapalmV5; 09-14-2008 at 03:13 PM.