Thread: Official MSI P7N Diamond (780i) Discussion/Review/Overclock/Guide/BIOS Thread

Hybrid View

Yipster, I created an MSI forum account as you suggested and got all 3 beta BIOS's. The mods there were very fast in helping me with the mobo beeping problem as well. Turns out this mobo will beep once for every USB device it detects during post.

I have not tried the beta BIOS's yet. MSI also provides a utility that allows for a BIOS flash from a USB key. So the question is, which BIOS should I install? My options are 1.1, P05 or the 114. I think I can rule out the 1.1 as the MSI forum mods confirmed it was a junk release.

Hey Overspeed, did you see my overclocking results for my e8400. I am only able to get stable at 3.4 also although FSB is at 380 so far.

1520 FSB (380x9 = 3.4Ghz)
    Ram at 760Mhz
    Vcore at +.18750 CPU-Z reported 1.21v
    Ram at 2.20v(default)
    NB at 1.35

I can get Windows to boot at 3.6 (400x9) by just bumping the nb to 1.4 but 3DMark06 would lock up. I will try to get some more testing done today considering we got a snow storm and my place of work is closed.

My temps weren't nearly as cool as your though. What are you using to monitor. CPUID HW reports on prime 95 load, CPU up tp 60C and MB up to 55C.
    MSI P7N Diamond
    Q9450
    4GB Patriot Viper
    (2) Foxconn 8800GT OC SLI
    Vista Ultimate x64

Quote Originally Posted by BKA View Post
    Hey Overspeed, did you see my overclocking results for my e8400. I am only able to get stable at 3.4 also although FSB is at 380 so far.

My temps weren't nearly as cool as your though. What are you using to monitor. CPUID HW reports on prime 95 load, CPU up tp 60C and MB up to 55C.
    Yes I did review your results, I think using shipping BIOSs we have both hit the same wall. I was using the MSI app to monitor my temps. I will try your HW monitor and see if it's different. That said, someone once told me that the E8400's were produced with a sometimes faulty temperature monitoring diode.

Edit: Ok I have CPUID HW running. I also set my bios to your exact settings. Here is what it reads:

vcore: 1.29v
    tmpin0: 23C
    tmpin1: 47C
    core 0: 35C
    core 1: 36C
    gpu: 56C

What are the tmpin temps, I think 1 may be the mobo temp. I will now put under stress and see where the temps go...... ..... ..... .....
    Ok according to CPUID HW monitor my temps hit 42C max after a 15 min prime95 run. The cores cooled back to the low 30`s within a minute. One thing I do notice about your settings is my NB did not get nearly as hot and still seems stable.
    Last edited by Overspeed; 03-05-2008 at 11:17 AM.