Thread: Lets put your CPU into REAL test! Intel Linpack 64bit

Hybrid View

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It may be useful to explain a bit more how Linpack works and is optimized for given platform. The benchmark is distributed as source code, and can be compiled and ran on any platform, including non -x86, like IBM Power G5, Cell, Intel IA64 (Itanium) so on. The code uses calls to specific mathematical library of functions, called BLAS (Basic Linear Algebra Subprograms), which contains most frequently used operations with matrices and vectors. This BLAS library is heavily platform -optimized and distributed by each CPU vendor.

For example, Intel has MKL for their x86 and Itanium CPUs,
    AMD has ACML. There are also non-vendor versions which
    have optimizations for different CPUs (Goto BLAS, Atlas).

Then Linpack exe file is compiled from source, it is linked with some specific version of BLAS, thus achieving high optimization level for this specific CPU.

The above Intel Linpack is compiled and linked with some BLAS version. The BLAS used to link with 32bit version is very general and should run even on older Intel CPUs, 64bit version is linked with latest version of MKL, which is very heavily optimized for latest Intel CPUs. Hence the large difference both in performance and load on Core2.

The BLAS libraries are frequently linked with application which require high performance, for example mathematical packets like Mathematica, Maple, Mathcad , some encoders/decoders, distributed projects like Folding&Home and so on.

If Linpack fails, all these applications may also fail, though it may take (significantly) more time, and may go largely unnoticed, as most CPU errors do not lead to any abnormal termination.
    Last edited by Cronos; 02-02-2008 at 04:41 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Every computer I've ever built I have overclocked. Every single computer would blue screen me randomly or when running certain programs if I was not at least 8 hours prime stable. It might be weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, but it would happen. I always do a minimum of 8 hours prime 95 on small fft and blend and nowdays I go for 12 hours before I call it quits or else I know at some point I'll get a blue screen or random program crash.

Quote Originally Posted by sofarfrome View Post
    The stress on the board is at least as bad as cranking the volts and doing 10min 32M Pi passes and 10s 1M Pi passes for several minutes, if not worse.
    Can't tell you how many times a 5 hour prime stable computer has crashed on me while playing UT2004 that was 32M Pi "stable". Even for general use you must prime or do some sort of stress testing if you want to be assured no errors/crashing. If it works for you then that's cool, but if you're overclocking and you didn't stress it then you're not stable in my opinion and at some point I'd imagine it will get you.
    Last edited by arfett; 02-02-2008 at 05:13 PM.
    AMD X6 1090T @ 3.6 GHz (200x18) | ASUS M4A89TD PRO/USB3 | 2 x 2GB DDR3 1600MHz @ 6-9-6-24 1T
    Radeon HD5850 | HT Omega Claro Halo | PC P&C 750W Silencer Mk II | Lian Li PC-60FN
    EK Supreme HF CPU Block -> Swiftech MCR-220 Radiator -> Swiftech MCP-655 Laing D5 Pump

Heat 32-1-0

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by arfett View Post
    Every computer I've ever built I have overclocked. Every single computer would blue screen me randomly or when running certain programs if I was not at least 8 hours prime stable. It might be weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, but it would happen. I always do a minimum of 8 hours prime 95 on small fft and blend and nowdays I go for 12 hours before I call it quits or else I know at some point I'll get a blue screen or random program crash.

Can't tell you how many times a 5 hour prime stable computer has crashed on me while playing UT2004 that was 32M Pi "stable". Even for general use you must prime or do some sort of stress testing if you want to be assured no errors/crashing. If it works for you then that's cool, but if you're overclocking and you didn't stress it then you're not stable in my opinion and at some point I'd imagine it will get you.
    Sorry to hear your bad luck with building computers.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dogsx2 View Post
    Sorry to hear your bad luck with building computers.
    Not bad luck, just overclocking too much. Drop the mhz down a bit and get a 8-12 hour run of prime and stable with no blue screens for a year. I've primed this q6600 with small fft and blend for 12 hours (in addition to some Pi 32M runs) and I can basically guarantee you I will never have a blue screen unless it's some crappy vista driver problem.
    Last edited by arfett; 02-02-2008 at 05:37 PM.
    AMD X6 1090T @ 3.6 GHz (200x18) | ASUS M4A89TD PRO/USB3 | 2 x 2GB DDR3 1600MHz @ 6-9-6-24 1T
    Radeon HD5850 | HT Omega Claro Halo | PC P&C 750W Silencer Mk II | Lian Li PC-60FN
    EK Supreme HF CPU Block -> Swiftech MCR-220 Radiator -> Swiftech MCP-655 Laing D5 Pump

Heat 32-1-0

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanx for explaining how to configure this properly.

I'd already grabbed it thanx to reading your posts about this from before, but didn't know how to set its parameters.
    Gigabyte X58A-UD3R | i7 930 @ 4 GHz | Corsair H50
    G.Skill RipJaws 4x2 GB @ DDR3-1600 7-7-6-24-1N | HIS Radeon HD 5870
    3x Intel X25-M 80 GB RAID-0; OCZ Agility 120 GB | Samsung SH-S243D
    Corsair HX1000 | Dell 3007WFP & Samsung 204T | 7 Ultimate x64

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by arfett View Post

I had a rig (an E6600 at 3.71GHz) that passed prime95 for 8+ hours while looping 3DMark03 in the back ground that would crash after 10 minutes of UT2004. Even though I passed all acceptable stability tests I still needed a little more vcore to keep it stable when running UT2004. I am done killing my boards. 1 hour OCCT or P95 while looping a 3DMark program and it is off to some folding or gaming for the real test. Anyone that runs 24hours+ of P95 or Orthos to gain confidence in the OC is shortening the life of the board and other components and nothing more. What task does a PC perform that utilizes 100% CPU resources?
    ASUS P8P67 Pro Rev3; Intel 2600K; GSkill Ripjaws 1600 (2x4GB); XFX 5870; WD Black 500G x2 Raid0; Silverstone Striker 750W; SwiftechApogee-XT-TC PA120.3-Swiftech MP655; Lian Li G70B; Win7-64

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The clueless don't even know they are.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. -- Einstein

HEAT

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by sofarfrome View Post
    I had a rig (an E6600 at 3.71GHz) that passed prime95 for 8+ hours while looping 3DMark03 in the back ground that would crash after 10 minutes of UT2004. Even though I passed all acceptable stability tests I still needed a little more vcore to keep it stable when running UT2004. I am done killing my boards. 1 hour OCCT or P95 while looping a 3DMark program and it is off to some folding or gaming for the real test. Anyone that runs 24hours+ of P95 or Orthos to gain confidence in the OC is shortening the life of the board and other components and nothing more. What task does a PC perform that utilizes 100% CPU resources?
    Gulp. Is this 100% accurate? I understand while stress testing you are obviously putting the system under stress (duh), but are motherboards/ram/cpu that fragile that I should be worried about them giving up the ghost from putting them under extreme pressure? I am worried now as I have HOT ambient temps of 30c, and have ran my system for weeks at 35+h straight runs under prime95/OCCT etc. Temps were quite high across the board for those long hours. Though I have not noticed any issues from using my system, I am worried I may have done some damage after reading the above statement.
    Silverstone Temjin TJ-09BW w/ Silverstone DA750
    Asus P8P67
    2600K w/ Thermalright Venomous X Black w/ Sanyo Denki San Ace 109R1212H1011
    8GB G.Skill DDR-1600 7-8-7-24
    Gigabyte GTX 460 1G
    Modded Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty w/ Klipsch Promedia 2.1
    1 X 120GB OCZ Vertex
    1 X 300GB WD Velociraptor HLFS
    1 X Hitachi 7K1000 1TB
    Pioneer DVR-216L DVD-RW
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64

Quote Originally Posted by alexio View Post
    From the hip and aim at the kitchen if she doesn't approve your purchases. She'll know better next time.

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by cantankerous View Post
    Gulp. Is this 100% accurate? I understand while stress testing you are obviously putting the system under stress (duh), but are motherboards/ram/cpu that fragile that I should be worried about them giving up the ghost from putting them under extreme pressure? I am worried now as I have HOT ambient temps of 30c, and have ran my system for weeks at 35+h straight runs under prime95/OCCT etc. Temps were quite high across the board for those long hours. Though I have not noticed any issues from using my system, I am worried I may have done some damage after reading the above statement.
    No, he's just been burned by buying crap components and expecting too much from them.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Addict
    The reason I was irritated after hearing it stated that Linpack 64 was "very sensitive" at detecting memory and cpu instability, is I did not find that to be true.

problem: BSOD's and reboots after 1-3 hours of orthos large FFT's and seemingly random stops, reboots in small ffts.

Linpack 64, runs of 50 to 100 trials of problem size 10000, which takes 1.3 to 3 hours, never an error of any kind, all residual norms same.

Memtest tells me the problem in 2 minutes. RAM is bad, and unstable at any settings.

I dont think I would call Linpack a sensitive test for memory, when 1.3hrs plus shows no error, and memtest tells me in 2 minutes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	linpack1pst.jpg 
Views:	1383 
Size:	182.5 KB 
ID:	71740   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	linpack3pst.jpg 
Views:	1383 
Size:	185.2 KB 
ID:	71741   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	linpack7pst.jpg 
Views:	1386 
Size:	178.6 KB 
ID:	71742   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	memtestpst.jpg 
Views:	1379 
Size:	151.6 KB 
ID:	71743  

To me a real machine overclocked is not some benchy numbers ..

It's a machine that can run 24/7 as well as it's stock speed with 4 GB/ 2 GB minimum ram liquid or air cooled and running Simulation like FSX or others games or heavy calculation softwares with out crashing..

The rest is just pictures in the wall or tests to maximum possible strengh harware to know teh limit and finally make a machine stable not 10 seconds ..

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by rge View Post
    The reason I was irritated after hearing it stated that Linpack 64 was "very sensitive" at detecting memory and cpu instability, is I did not find that to be true.

problem: BSOD's and reboots after 1-3 hours of orthos large FFT's and seemingly random stops, reboots in small ffts.

Linpack 64, runs of 50 to 100 trials of problem size 10000, which takes 1.3 to 3 hours, never an error of any kind, all residual norms same.

Memtest tells me the problem in 2 minutes. RAM is bad, and unstable at any settings.

I dont think I would call Linpack a sensitive test for memory, when 1.3hrs plus shows no error, and memtest tells me in 2 minutes.
    i always run superpi as well in windows

Spi is not fullproof but you can't trust any of these programs as per your example either

best stability test really is some simple orthos/spi stuff and then user trial.....if you use it for a month and no issues with whatever you use it for that's a stable machine right there heh
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by rge View Post
    You tested half of the memory with Linpack 32bit.
    Try bigger problem size and run Linpack 64bit.

Linpack is not a substitute for memtest86+ anyway. You always should test your memory with memtest for at least 10+ complete passes.

There is something not right in your way of thinking....
    Last edited by Cronos; 02-03-2008 at 04:28 PM.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    No, he's just been burned by buying crap components and expecting too much from them.
    I sure hope this is the case. I would like to think the parts in my sig are of good quality and that they could in fact hold up to the many long weeks of extreme temps I was submitting them too. I hate dead parts, not a fun time to deal with them.
    Silverstone Temjin TJ-09BW w/ Silverstone DA750
    Asus P8P67
    2600K w/ Thermalright Venomous X Black w/ Sanyo Denki San Ace 109R1212H1011
    8GB G.Skill DDR-1600 7-8-7-24
    Gigabyte GTX 460 1G
    Modded Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty w/ Klipsch Promedia 2.1
    1 X 120GB OCZ Vertex
    1 X 300GB WD Velociraptor HLFS
    1 X Hitachi 7K1000 1TB
    Pioneer DVR-216L DVD-RW
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64

Quote Originally Posted by alexio View Post
    From the hip and aim at the kitchen if she doesn't approve your purchases. She'll know better next time.