Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting July 1, 2008.. It's illegal to use a cell phone while driving in California!

Xtreme Addict

Starting July 1, 2008.. It's illegal to use a cell phone while driving in California!

Due to popular demand, the state of California will begin enforcement of the "Cell phone while driving" ban on July 1st of this year!

I for one am very happy this is finally going into effect. Most people out here in California drive like idiots to begin with... and when you add a cell phone in the persons hand while talking to the mix, it just gets worse.

There are exceptions to this law however. If using a cell phone while driving, you must have a bluetooth headset, earbud, or a vehicle equipped with a bluetooth enabled sound system (like my Audi does).

It also seems that New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and Washington, D.C., have similar laws. Can you guys from those states tell me whether or not the law is being enforced?

Thx!

Here's an article on this.

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9003363

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government"
    -- Alexander Hamilton

Xtreme Cruncher
    the audi bt rox, is the best feature in my car lol
    Incoming new computer after 5 long years

YOU want to FIGHT CANCER OR AIDS join us at WCG and help to have a better FUTURE

Royal Administrator
    Yes, it is illegal to use a cellular phone while driving in New York. However, you are allowed to use a hands-free cellular phone.

Xtreme Addict
    ^^^ Do they actually enforce the cell phone law?

"If the representatives of the people betray their constituents, there is then no resource left but in the exertion of that original right of self-defense which is paramount to all positive forms of government"
    -- Alexander Hamilton

Royal Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew LB View Post
    ^^^ Do they actually enforce the cell phone law?
    Yes, the law is not new in NY. If a person has to use a cellular phone, then a person must stop driving.

Xtreme Mentor
    I don't oppose this law at all.

For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I like this law. As a cell tech myself I do hate to see people using the cellfone whule driving specially women. We all know that they dont drive well and its a bad combination.
    CPU: INTEL Q9550 E0 @ 3600 1.28V + CORSAIR H50
    GPU: EVGA GTX 480 @ 725/1450/3800
    PPU: EVGA 9800GTX @ 738/1836/2250
    MB: ASUS P5E X38
    RAM: MUSHKIN 2X2GB
    SOUND: X-FI TITANIUM FATAL1TY | LOGITECH Z-5500 | LOGITECH G35
    HDD: WD 76GB X 2 RAPTORS RAID 0 10KRPM | WD 1TB CAVIAR BLACK 32MB STORAGE
    PSU: CORSAIR HX1000W PSU
    MON: HANNSPREE 28" 1920X1200 RESOLUTION

Xtreme Addict
    Lotta people use bluetooth nowadays in Cali. However, I still see some of them criminals with phones like me, rolling around town with 1 hand on the steering wheel. XD

All systems sold. Will be back after Sandy Bridge!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashraf View Post
    Yes, the law is not new in NY. If a person has to use a cellular phone, then a person must stop driving.
    How about this.....

Do the cops actually FINE people? Or do they warn them and send them on their merry way?

I do hate to see people using the cellfone whule driving specially women. We all know that they dont drive well and its a bad combination.
    I hate ANYONE who is holding their cell phone to their ear while driving, regardless of them being a woman or not. But it's definitely true that at least out here in California.... the vast majority of people I see on cell phones are women.

And to add to that, out of the 5 times another car has hit mine... 4 of them were on the cell phone... 3 of them women. And that's only in 14 years of driving!

-- Alexander Hamilton

Xtreme Addict
    How about this.....

Do the cops actually FINE people? Or do they warn them and send them on their merry way?

I hate ANYONE who is holding their cell phone to their ear while driving, regardless of them being a woman or not. But it's definitely true that at least out here in California.... the vast majority of people I see on cell phones are women.

And to add to that, out of the 5 times another car has hit mine... 4 of them were on the cell phone... 3 of them women. And that's only in 14 years of driving!
    I live in Northern California, and I have heard that although it is illegal for talking on a phone while driving, you cannot be pulled over for it. To be slammed for doing it you have to be pulled over for something else, (like a moving violation) for them to add it to your ticket.

My phone has a speakerphone and I can put it in my lap and talk to anyone fine while driving. Would this be illegal because im not using one of those expensive stupidass BS bluetooth headsets?
    |-------Conner-------|

RIP JimmyMoonDog

2,147,222 F@H Points - My F@H Statistics:
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...e=Conman%5F530

HARD CRUNCHER!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashraf View Post
    Yes, it is illegal to use a cellular phone while driving in New York. However, you are allowed to use a hands-free cellular phone.
    Same in Chicago.
    Quote Originally Posted by mike047 View Post
    CRUNCH HARD, it may not help me and you, but it might help the Kids.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by [cTx] Raptor22 View Post
    I live in Northern California, and I have heard that although it is illegal for talking on a phone while driving, you cannot be pulled over for it. To be slammed for doing it you have to be pulled over for something else, (like a moving violation) for them to add it to your ticket.
    I know a few police here in Los Angeles and will find out what the real deal is on this. I recall reading in a few articles that you can be pulled over for using a cell phone just like they can pull you over for not wearing a seatbelt.

My phone has a speakerphone and I can put it in my lap and talk to anyone fine while driving. Would this be illegal because im not using one of those expensive stupidass BS bluetooth headsets?
    I'm not sure if a cell phones speakerphone constitutes as legal. I'm pretty sure it will be either a bluetooth headset, or a cheap $10 ear bud thing, or something along those lines.

-- Alexander Hamilton

Xtreme Addict
    I know a few police here in Los Angeles and will find out what the real deal is on this. I recall reading in a few articles that you can be pulled over for using a cell phone just like they can pull you over for not wearing a seatbelt.

I'm not sure if a cell phones speakerphone constitutes as legal. I'm pretty sure it will be either a bluetooth headset, or a cheap $10 ear bud thing, or something along those lines.
    Yeah, hmm. Im curious because I usually pull over to dial, and then put it on my lap and never have to even touch it, besides having to close the phone. The cops wouldnt see anything anyway I suppose. Just some loon talking to himself.
    |-------Conner-------|

RIP JimmyMoonDog

2,147,222 F@H Points - My F@H Statistics:
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...e=Conman%5F530

-150c Club Member
    I'm in NJ and yes they enforce this like all hell. Doesn't stop me from having phone on in my lap on speaker or texting with it in one hand below window line though.

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

Xtreme Member
    We have a law similar to this in Arizona (but it's texting) and they won't pull anyone over for it, however, they will cite you for it in addition to the reason why they pulled you over if they catch you doing something illegal and you happened to be texting while doing that. If that helps any, I find it preposterous to think that the cops would spend their days looking at whether or not someone had a phone to their ear while driving.
    CPU: Intel i7-9700K w/Noctua UH-12S Chromax
    Motherboard
    : Asus Prime Z390-P
    Memory: G.Skill DDR4-3200 8gb x2
    GPU: MSI 1660 TI
    HDD: Kingston A400 240gb SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB HHD
    PSU: Seasonic GX750W
    Case: Lian Li 205
    Source: Audio Technica ATH-A900

Xtreme Cruncher
    Some parts of Ohio have this law, but I don't know how much they enforce it.

Xtreme Member
    Here in Belgium, you get a 100EUR fine if you're holding a cellphone to your ear while driving. And they pull you over for sure for that

Same here. You get pulled over, fined, points on your license.

Its a good idea - you cant control a car correctly with one hand, and i dont think people should be doing something that affects their concentration either.

Main Rig

Intel Core i7-2600K (SLB8W, E0 Stepping) @ 4.6Ghz (4.6x100), Corsair H80i AIO Cooler
    MSI Z77A GD-65 Gaming (MS-7551), v25 BIOS
    Kingston HyperX 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-19200 Kit (HX24C11BRK2/16-OC) @ 1.5v, 11-13-13-30 Timings (1:8 Ratio)
    8GB MSI Radeon R9 390X (1080 Mhz Core, 6000 Mhz Memory)
    NZXT H440 Case with NZXT Hue+ Installed
    24" Dell U2412HM (1920x1200, e-IPS panel)
    1 x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO (Boot & Install)
    1 x 2Tb Hitachi 7K2000 in External Enclosure (Scratch Disk)

Entertainment Setup

Samsung Series 6 37" 1080p TV
    Gigabyte GA-J1800N-D2H based media PC, Mini ITX Case, Blu-Ray Drive
    Netgear ReadyNAS104 w/4x2TB Toshiba DTACA200's for 5.8TB Volume size

I refuse to participate in any debate with creationists because doing so would give them the "oxygen of respectability" that they want.
    Creationists don't mind being beaten in an argument. What matters to them is that I give them recognition by bothering to argue with them in public.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethelred View Post
    I find it preposterous to think that the cops would spend their days looking at whether or not someone had a phone to their ear while driving.
    I find it preposterous that you think that. Want to measure your reaction time while on the phone in relation with when you're doing what you're supposed to do, controlling a potentially lethal weapon ( = car ).

Edit: shouldn't say, on the phone, those with bt or w/e are also on the phone. But having to manually fumble with the thing to pick up a caller, dail someone ect and having just one hand to actually drive the car is imo a bad thing. Not to sure about the lap guys, if you don't have to fumble with the phone it's ok with me, but NoL texting equals fumbling with the thing. I'm sure you can text blindly but still, don't think your reaction time will be the same as when you're concentrated on your driving.
    Last edited by Marvin_The_Martian; 04-06-2008 at 02:19 AM.

Xtreme 3D Team Member
    This is one of the rare laws that I believe in. people need to realise the seriousness.
    QX 9650 5ghz with 1.55v 4.8ghz with 1.5v 24/7 in a VAPOLI V-2000B+ Single stage phase cooling.
    DFI LP LT X-38 T2R
    2X HD4850's water cooled , volt modded
    Thermaltake 1KW Psu
    4x Seagate 250GB in RAID 0
    8GB crucial ballistix ram

Xtreme Addict
    Anything that distracts you from the road is a danger. The worst I've personally seen is some idiot trying to eat a McDonalds whilst driving on a motorway.

Seriously

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai Robinson View Post
    Same here. You get pulled over, fined, points on your license.

Its a good idea - you cant control a car correctly with one hand, and i dont think people should be doing something that affects their concentration either.
    can you tell my other half that please she doesnt listen to me on that subject

My Free-DC Stats
    You use IRC and Crunch in Xs WCG team? Join #xs.wcg @ Quakenet

Royal Administrator
    Yes, they would give you a ticket if you got caught. The cops don't need to warn them. Drivers were already told it was illegal during a 5-hour class and/or driving lessons to get a driver license.

Have her look at this:

http://www.thinkroadsafety.gov.uk/ad...bilephones.htm

Particularly this section:

"If you accept a roadside fixed penalty notice, you will receive 3 points on your licence and a fine of £60. If a case goes to court, in addition to points, you could face discretionary disqualification on top a maximum fine of £1,000 (or £2,500 in the case of drivers of buses/coaches and goods vehicles)."

Alternatively, just let her get caught 4 times and her license will be revoked so she cant do it again...

Main Rig

Intel Core i7-2600K (SLB8W, E0 Stepping) @ 4.6Ghz (4.6x100), Corsair H80i AIO Cooler
    MSI Z77A GD-65 Gaming (MS-7551), v25 BIOS
    Kingston HyperX 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-19200 Kit (HX24C11BRK2/16-OC) @ 1.5v, 11-13-13-30 Timings (1:8 Ratio)
    8GB MSI Radeon R9 390X (1080 Mhz Core, 6000 Mhz Memory)
    NZXT H440 Case with NZXT Hue+ Installed
    24" Dell U2412HM (1920x1200, e-IPS panel)
    1 x 500GB Samsung 850 EVO (Boot & Install)
    1 x 2Tb Hitachi 7K2000 in External Enclosure (Scratch Disk)

Entertainment Setup

Samsung Series 6 37" 1080p TV
    Gigabyte GA-J1800N-D2H based media PC, Mini ITX Case, Blu-Ray Drive
    Netgear ReadyNAS104 w/4x2TB Toshiba DTACA200's for 5.8TB Volume size

I refuse to participate in any debate with creationists because doing so would give them the "oxygen of respectability" that they want.
    Creationists don't mind being beaten in an argument. What matters to them is that I give them recognition by bothering to argue with them in public.

Xtreme Member
    In NYC, the cellphone law is enforced heavily. However, I have to admit that I don't follow it. I hate the feel of bluetooth headset in my ear and speaker function of my phone is annoying. I just try not to make calls while I am driving... only to call someone if I am picking them up to come outside or something like that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast