Thread: Intel Xeon 5310 + BSEL mod?

Intel Xeon 5310 + BSEL mod?

I've managed to get my hands on a dell precision 490, and ordered some xeon 5310 chips to setup a nice little workstation and start folding. I was searching on the forums for a BSEL guide to follow as I've never done a mod like this but was having a hard time finding one for the 771 chips. Does anyone know where I can find a guide for these Clovertown chips on how to do the BSEL mod?

Thanks!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Heat: 50 - 0 - 0 under "Argus333"

Xtreme Legend
    You need to cover one pin pad with a small piece of electrical tape. It's the pin marked "2" in yellow in the diagram below. Not that hard to do. Just need a good eye and a steady hand.
    Last edited by sierra_bound; 06-22-2008 at 11:42 AM.

So the diagram is for all 771 xeons? Becuase it says dempsey/woodcrest but I'm going to be using a clovertown.

Also, i'm kind of a noob and having a hard time reading exactly what the diagram is saying. Could someone help me break it down into something simpler like Kunaak's diagram like this one:

His is for a core 2 duo chip, but it's a very easy to read diagram of how to do the mod.

Thanks so much!

Xtreme Mentor
    Has anyone mods to increase voltage on a standard E6600 1,250v VID? On Sham´s thread he says he has done it but i cant actually see them...

Thanks in advance.
    Friends shouldn't let friends use Windows 7 until Microsoft fixes Windows Explorer (link)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryR, on John Fruehe (JF-AMD) View Post
    Pretty much. Plus, he's here voluntarily.

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by DamTheMan View Post
    Also, i'm kind of a noob and having a hard time reading exactly what the diagram is saying.
    There are three BSEL pins shown in the diagram. You will get different default bus speeds depending on which of those pins you cover with tape. If you want 1333MHz you need to cover just BSEL2 (G30 pad).
    Quote Originally Posted by DamTheMan View Post
    So the diagram is for all 771 xeons? Becuase it says dempsey/woodcrest but I'm going to be using a clovertown.
    I have done the BSEL mod on Clovertowns. Trust me, it works.

Last edited by sierra_bound; 09-12-2007 at 07:50 AM.

So I got my chips in and decided to boot it up at stock speeds to see how everything ran before I did the BSEL mod. But the system says "Incompatible Processor Detected" even after I've flashed the system with the newest bios.

I'm running a Dell Precision 490 which according to their site says it supports 5320, 5345, 5355 type xeon quad cores. So why wouldn't it support a 5310 if it's the same thing as a 5310 with a higher multiplier?

I've also tried doing the BSEL mod to see if that would work, and it give me the same error. I figured it must be the chipset, but why would it say "The Dell PrecisionTM 490 is equipped with up to two Dual or Quad-Core Intel® Xeon® 5100/5300 series 64-bit processors for a total of up to eight execution cores in two sockets."

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Thanks Sierra..

Worked for me, too! I posted a video of the process here:
    http://www.techanswerguy.com/2007/09...ll-sc1430.html

is a BSEL mod to a Xeon X5550 2.66ghz?

I'm using water cooler, it would be great to speed up my two Xeons for example 4ghz