Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adopting Bazx's condenser idea

Xtreme Enthusiast

Adopting Bazx's condenser idea

Im in the process of fabricating a coil in coil HX for use as a condenser. The same way that Bazx did with his Cascade 4 and 5.

Exactly the same way he did, except i wont have a 120 litre/gallon (cant remember) barrel outside with shed loads of capacity and ambient cooling. Instead im thinking of linking it into my current WC setup (D5 + QP220)

Does the QP220 have enough grunt to keep liquid temps from getting out of control? I have two 85CFM delta's stuck to it (silence not important)

The HX idea isnt my only option, i am willing to go the standard condenser route, but that way my WC setup kind of goes to waste.

Anyway, let me know what you guys think

Sean
    Asus P5Q Deluxe
    Intel E8400 @ stock
    Kingston Hyper-x 2x2Gb PC2-8500
    Swiftech H20 220 Apex Ultra (faithfully struggling)
    Palit 8800GT under MCW60 700/1700/2000
    Antec TP3 650W
    WinXP Home SP3
    Samsung SM206BW 20" TFT

Banned
    Qp220?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Do you want the rest of your system on that radiator at the same time? Probably wouldn't be enough, although I can't say for sure. That is the first Ive seen that done, a liquid cooled condenser. I don't think anyone has tried using a radiator before.

Xtreme Addict
    bazx was kind of the first one to try it on the sytems so there isnt enough data out there to say yet. I have 4 swiftech 3x120 mm rads to test out just how much capacity we need.

For your setup, you might need a small dsh coil or peice of condenser with a fan on it before the rad, if you just have one.

I see bazx's sphere of influence is expanding...

My Custom Pressure/Temperature Charts for Various Refrigerants

QX6700 @ 3900 | EVGA 680i |2 GB Corsair 8500 Dominator | 7800 GT SLi | Silverstone 1KW | Seagate 7200.9 Barracuda RAID 0 + Hitachi Deskstar 2TB RAID 0 | SS Phase w/ Cryostar Evap | MIPS Full Motherboard cooling
    My Fake Quad Core is better than your real Quad Core! **cough**Barcelona**cough**

Lian Li Cube Case with Phase and Water DONE!!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The Radiator if for my water loop, so i dont think it would be a DSH, as there cant be super heat in a water loop. But i think i see what you mean, Adding some capacity to the water loop with an extra bit of copper coil. I guess i'll just have to be an extension to bazx's pioneerism (is that a word?) If the 2x120mm rad is enough then cool. If it isnt enough, its not hard to swap it out for a 3x120mm or even add another one to the loop till liquid temps are under control. Having to braze in different stuff then regas and stuff would be a pain in the a** but changin a rad aint that hard

I think in the short term the rad might have to handle my 7800GT as the stock HFS cant do what i want it too. But i lookin at gettin new card very soon so it can be removed from the loop shortly. Dont want to waste my mcw-60
    Asus P5Q Deluxe
    Intel E8400 @ stock
    Antec TP3 650W
    WinXP Home SP3
    Samsung SM206BW 20" TFT

Banned
    I'm thinking of using a Thermochill PA160 or 2 PA120.1's mounted front and rear thus offering PA120.2 in short.

Xtreme Addict
    I am not saying run the water through the dsh, I am saying run the superheated vapor through a small dsh to remove some heat before it hits the hx connected to your wc setup. this will take out some heat before it overloads your loop, cuz frankly I do not think one dual 120mm rad will work. But we dont have info to support it yet. We were waiting for sacha to do some experimentation on the subject and he hasnt posted yet.
    Like I said, I have 4 3x120 rads going on the loop, and we will see how many of those will actually be needed to condense the liquid. But I am a fair bit of time away from that point.

In the photo, swicth the position of the condenser with the hx coil, and you will see what I am talking about. You dont need a full condenser, just a small one that can remove some latent heat from the vapor.

And also, I have found a beautiful little store that sells 12v power supplies to power any fans that you cant hook up to your pc power supply. They are very cheap, better than ebay, and great service. (kind of pimped them out right there )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ssplan-4 copy.jpg 
Views:	374 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	65198  

QX6700 @ 3900 | EVGA 680i |2 GB Corsair 8500 Dominator | 7800 GT SLi | Silverstone 1KW | Seagate 7200.9 Barracuda RAID 0 + Hitachi Deskstar 2TB RAID 0 | SS Phase w/ Cryostar Evap | MIPS Full Motherboard cooling
    My Fake Quad Core is better than your real Quad Core! **cough**Barcelona**cough**

Xtreme Addict
    The Black Ice Pro2 radiator is rated for 2856BTU per hour and the BIX2 is rated for 6270 BTU. I am not sure under what conditions they get those result from.

Here is another idea for a power supply. It is cheap and offers 12v and 5v with molex connectors.

jab-tech

edit- I just realized they are out of stock.

Here is another source coolerguys

I have been itching to try this myself as well but I wanted to get some experience building first. I have a hefty box of WC stuff to try it out with.
    Last edited by killermiller; 10-03-2007 at 08:03 PM.

Banned
    There is only one rad that will do the job and that is the Thermochill. BIX and all the other are not what they say they are.

Idealy logic would stick out er and say you want the best. Gonna measure and scope up my case today for it all

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    There is only one rad that will do the job and that is the Thermochill. BIX and all the other are not what they say they are.

Idealy logic would stick out er and say you want the best. Gonna measure and scope up my case today for it all
    Indeed thermochill rads are very good but you cannot say that the others wont be able to get the job done when we dont have the data to support it either way.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TopherTony View Post
    Indeed thermochill rads are very good but you cannot say that the others wont be able to get the job done when we dont have the data to support it either way.
    We do for selecting the right rad. Just go look any build with varing rads and you will see all the Thermochill come out on top. This clearly shows bar the testing Cartha did in a lab on them that they are the best.

Were dealing with a lot of heat here, so getting the best rad that deal with that is what ya want.

I even played my self with a BIX 120.1 and a Thermochill PA120.1 and i had loads of cooling headroom but most of all i was able to run silently

Xtreme Addict
    Yes, Pete, I am not doubting the fact that Thermochills come out on top for removing the most heat from a loop. That goes without saying. However, if you can get with using a smaller single pass radiator, that would obviously be better. Thermochills are experiencing a vast shortage right now and are not currently available at any e-tailer (if I am wrong point me to where I can get my hands on a few) so I dont think that saying a thermochill is a requirement for this type of application is necessisarily wise. I think that a couple 120.2 or 120.3 single pass pads will do fine. With a higher flow pump.

We need that data before say that it will or that wont work, or that you need such and such component.

Postal, if you are going to build this project, the pipe work will be the same layout regardless. If you want to braze it up and throw on your small rads, go ahead and do some testing. Even if the rad cant hold the load produced by the hx, we will at least know ball park where we stand.

Xtreme Member
    Depending on the model of Thermochill you want, you can get them at frozencpu.com.

Xtreme Member
    >100€ for 4°c lower condensing temperature :/

Basx uses a big tank so the water temperature stay very low, but in your case you just increases the heat transfert in the condenser, but the water temperature will increase and the heat will still have to be dissipated at the end of the cycle. Do you the heat transfert between water and air compared to a refrigerant changing phase will be the same? I don't think so. We're not talking about 200w dissipated by an CPU, but 200+ how many from the phase unit? Basx idea is great... with his tank, what rad size do you think you will need for the waterloop to become interesting? You should use a bigger compressor/condenser couple with the money. Just my 2 cents

Edit : in the industry, "open water cooling" (? don't know how to say) is used, so that they don't really care about the second heat transfert between water and air. They use water cooling tower in some case as well.
    Last edited by Clemmaster; 10-04-2007 at 09:18 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by theclash View Post
    Depending on the model of Thermochill you want, you can get them at frozencpu.com.
    Yeah shoulda been more clear about that. Was referring to 120mmx3+ rad.
    Last edited by TopherTony; 10-04-2007 at 09:08 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    I am looking forward to see how these experiments turn out. I just went and bought the fittings and tubing to do it myself. I will probably be pretty busy for the next couple of weeks though.

Banned
    Slience and to be dieffernt, and loads of other stuff.

Rad wise for stock, Uk has tons and so does Thermochill directly.

Xtreme Addict
    I just like to experiment and try new things. I would also like to use my watercooling stuff for something besides collecting dust.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Im getting the coil in Coil HX for free. all i have to pay for is the copper piping which comes to a grand total of about $20 as i have all the other equipment. If buying a standard condeser for $40 on top cus my WC thing fails is whats needed then thats that. For the moment im willing to try the HX idea.

I looked up some specs on the MCR220, apparently it will disperse about 320W of heat with two 70+cfm fans and a flow rate of 8LPM.

What is the disharge temp of R290 from a 1/2Hp comp?

Would taking on TopherTony's idea of adding a DSH before the HX aid the hopes of the rad coping with the strain?
    Asus P5Q Deluxe
    Intel E8400 @ stock
    Antec TP3 650W
    WinXP Home SP3
    Samsung SM206BW 20" TFT

-150c Club Member
    Look at the spec of the compressor, take your load you wish to cool, add the compressors heat, and then add 25%. If thats less then 320watts, sure your good to go! What temperature is that 320watts at?

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I want to cool a e6400 1.6v(ish) @ 4.1Ghz

Specs of compressor highlighted in pic

581W of cooling capacity, 500Kcals/hr
    13.54cc Displacement

The other numbers are conversions of other figures and just compressor dimensions and stuff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Comp specs.JPG 
Views:	234 
Size:	142.0 KB 
ID:	65248  
    Last edited by Postal Dude; 10-04-2007 at 01:23 PM.
    Asus P5Q Deluxe
    Intel E8400 @ stock
    Antec TP3 650W
    WinXP Home SP3
    Samsung SM206BW 20" TFT

-150c Club Member
    So 206 watts from the compressor? Most likely 150 or so from the cpu with a larger overclock? Plus overhead capacity? However I think though the radiator might say it can only dissipate 320 watts, thats at a certain delta T, if the delta T increases (water temperature rises, or ambient drops) it should be able to handle a larger capacity,

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    316W wooot. Looks like im in luck then. I'll add a DSH just in case. Take some strain off to rad. 320W is at 2GPM and 70+CFM fans. Im hoping for a bit more flow than that and i have 2x 85CFM fans. So hopefully i can push a little distance to give me some headroom. 4W between max load and actual load lol

Gettin excited! lol

Ambient in my house is normally 18C btw

Sean
    Last edited by Postal Dude; 10-04-2007 at 01:39 PM.
    Asus P5Q Deluxe
    Intel E8400 @ stock
    Antec TP3 650W
    WinXP Home SP3
    Samsung SM206BW 20" TFT

Xtreme Enthusiast
    A F**K off huge radiator can be arranged for your viewing pleasures. Hopefully it wont impede pressure too much tho
    Asus P5Q Deluxe
    Intel E8400 @ stock
    Antec TP3 650W
    WinXP Home SP3
    Samsung SM206BW 20" TFT

Xtreme Addict
    i'd sacrifice a little flow in exchange for more surface area for heat dissipation. although i have several iwakis where its not really an issue. you on the other hand might have a little trouple a that low flow pump

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast