Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8 Core Mac Pro

Quote Originally Posted by uOpt View Post
    Do these things boot Linux and FreeBSD?
    Mac OS X is already a BSD derivative so why not just install X, log into >console, use X, and use Fink?

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Papajohn56 View Post
    Mac OS X is already a BSD derivative so why not just install X, log into >console, use X, and use Fink?
    OSX takes all the Unix personality from FreeBSD, namely filesystems, VFS and networking.

VM and several other fundamental things are still a Mach kernel, though, and that is just horrible.

Plus all the administration has been moved to some cute GUI tools. Just using X11 while shutting down the native Mac surface doesn't work, because then you can't do administration anymore. I hope you don't think that Apples X11 running inside the native environment is usable for anything but toying.

I don't need any graphical interface anyway, but MacOS is not good enough for me.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ive seen the case on ebay alot.
    Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
    •i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz - 1.32v - CM Hyper 212 Evo
    •G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-8GB
    •ASUS 7850 @ 1250//5800
    •Corsair TX650 V2
    •Dell 3007WFP
    •Win 7 64 Ult

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by wangerin View Post
    Ive seen the case on ebay alot.
    usually a G5 case, not a Mac Pro case. So one less optical drive. They also are almost always missing a lot of the internal stuff, like I/O boards, dividers, cables, etc. Very hard to get the front I/O to work without the board.

Quote Originally Posted by uOpt View Post
    OSX takes all the Unix personality from FreeBSD, namely filesystems, VFS and networking.

VM and several other fundamental things are still a Mach kernel, though, and that is just horrible.

Plus all the administration has been moved to some cute GUI tools. Just using X11 while shutting down the native Mac surface doesn't work, because then you can't do administration anymore. I hope you don't think that Apples X11 running inside the native environment is usable for anything but toying.

I don't need any graphical interface anyway, but MacOS is not good enough for me.
    How about when 10.5 uses ZFS?

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Papajohn56 View Post
    How about when 10.5 uses ZFS?
    The problems are in the VM system, not the filesystem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12