Thread: Do I need to learn a new language?

Do I need to learn a new language?

I'm taking Physics I this year and next year I will take Physics II, and what I want to do is as we learn things and formals and just learn physics I want to come home and write a program for it. Just as an example say after we learn about dropping a ball from a certain hight and the formula for how long and how high and all it will bounce on mother earth. I want to up date my program to include that. So one could select all the variables and then see A) a visual (3d?) model of what happens and then also for it to spit out the data into a table.

Obviously this will be a long term project and be a learning project also. When I finish Physics next year, I want to have a program that I can pass on to others so they can have a program for experimentation. Plus this is a great way to get the service hours I need.

I've written two programs so far, First one was command line based the second was an actual GUI program that did the same as the command line. Both were very basic. I wrote them in java.

So my question goes, can I do what I want in Java? Can it be easily done in Java, I mean by that is I don't want to be trying to do it in Java and end up having to write 5-10 times the coding and everything than if I had written it in something else.

Linux compatibility isn't that big, but its one reason I used java before. Although I seriously doubt anyone will be using Linux that would use my program.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3R, E6300, 2x512MB Team Group DDR2 667, EVGA 7800GT
    Dell 1505, T5400, 2x512mb DDR2 533Mhz, ATI Mobile X1400, Intel Wireless 3945ABG

Xtreme Member
    The 3d model I don't believe is possible in java. I could be wrong as I only have had a couple of java courses before I switched my major.

Worst overclocker evar!!
    Quote Originally Posted by norse
    The 3d model I don't believe is possible in java. I could be wrong as I only have had a couple of java courses before I switched my major.
    actually sun makes a very easy 3D API for java.
    I used to have links here demonstrating how awesome I am, but it's been so long that they're not very relevant (and the pictures have disappeared), so I guess I'll have to get working on new stuff.

Xtreme Mentor
    The Sun API for Java 3D sucks for real use, but it probably will do.

Java sounds like the best option for you for what you have in mind.