Page 37 of 82 FirstFirst ... 273435363738394047 ... LastLast

Thread: The GT300/Fermi Thread

Banned
    GF100 has more ROPs then G200 and less TMUs then G200, but that is not a problem, has new units - raster a geometry units

Xtreme Mentor
    One thing is sure. GF100/Fermi is late

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    they are not? what makes you think that?
    do you remember how jensen told tsmc to hurry up with 28nm?
    and after tsmc faced problems with 28nm, jensen mentioned how they might work with GF instead, who are agressively ramping up 28nm...

nvidia knows they need 28nm... they could in theory completely screw up 40nm and not sell any 40nm fermi parts... it would hurt them... a lot... but they could survive that without too serious problems... 28nm is where it gets serious... if they cant get 28nm working right, THEN nvidia might bleed so bad it will take a while for them to recover, if ever...
    I could be wrong and even if they are working on it, prolly nvidia is at full-force right now, but I'm sure of something, we won't see any high-end parts based in 28nm anytime soon after all this delays etc. they have been experiencing trying to adapt a such arch into 40nm, to meet the specs as they were original designed/presented, again I could be wrong but nvidia is known by pulling tricks out of their sleeves, not quite with fermi though, also as we all know nvidia lately is slower making die shrink transitions
    Last edited by Blacky; 01-14-2010 at 09:45 AM.
    ░█▀▀ ░█▀█ ░█ ░█▀▀ ░░█▀▀ ░█▀█ ░█ ░█ ░░░
    ░█▀▀ ░█▀▀ ░█ ░█ ░░░░█▀▀ ░█▀█ ░█ ░█ ░░░
    ░▀▀▀ ░▀ ░░░▀ ░▀▀▀ ░░▀ ░░░▀░▀ ░▀ ░▀▀▀ ░

Xtreme Addict
    Nvidia is stretched pretty thin right now with Fermi and Tegra. I don't think they can maintain this pace for much longer, eventually they'll settle down and derivatives will come sooner since they won't be trying to revolutionize the industry with every new architecture.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zed_X View Post
    GF100 has more ROPs then G200 and less TMUs then G200, but that is not a problem, has new units - raster a geometry units
    Yeah, that's the official spin "they're much more efficient" bla bla bla.. it's still BS because the units are THERE, why disable them?

Another hint, when Huddy says he expects AMD to have the fastest card for most of 2010, he's not talking about AMD refreshes.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by neliz View Post
    Another hint, when Huddy says he expects AMD to have the fastest card for most of 2010, he's not talking about AMD refreshes.
    Sounds like 5970 is going to have plenty of time to be king in the spotlight, then. Boring
    Main Rig: Phenom II X6 1055T 95W @3562 (285x12.5) MHz, Corsair XMS2 DDR2 (2x2GB), Gigabyte HD7970 OC (1000 MHz) 3GB, ASUS M3A78-EM,
    Corsair F60 60 GB SSD + various HDDs, Corsair HX650 (3.3V/20A, 5V/20A, 12V/54A), Antec P180 Mini

Notebook: HP ProBook 6465b w/ A6-3410MX and 8GB DDR3 1600

Xtreme Member
    gf100 launch on march, availability on may/june, dual fermi june/july? & fully loaded gf100 on september

Or not so apocalyptic?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerwidh View Post
    Sounds like 5970 is going to have plenty of time to be king in the spotlight, then. Boring
    while the rest of ati's 5xxx destroys nvidia price/perf
    ive seen hardcore nvidia fanboys switch to ati recently... bad sign for nvidia
    Seti@Home Optimized Apps
    Heat
    Quote Originally Posted by aNoN_ View Post
    pretty low score, why not higher? kingpin gets 40k in 3dmark05 and 33k in 06 and 32k in vantage performance...

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Newblar View Post
    while the rest of ati's 5xxx destroys nvidia price/perf
    ive seen hardcore nvidia fanboys switch to ati recently... bad sign for nvidia
    i thought the 5xxx was worse than any performance comparable 4xxx in price?

Xtreme Addict
    LordEC911, on a related note:Random Hungarian Forum
    These intertubes things are amazing. I can sleep and attend secret conferences at the same time! Unless Google thinks that it translates to me actually being on the good side of the FUDwar.
    Wow... that is ridiculous.
    You give all the info you can that is deemed credible, for both sides.
    Just because most of the previous news on GF100/Fermi was bad doesn't mean you are trying to discredit Nvidia, the blame lies soley on Nvidia for that.
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LordEC911 View Post
    Wow... that is ridiculous.
    You give all the info you can that is deemed credible, for both sides.
    Just because most of the previous news on GF100/Fermi was bad doesn't mean you are trying to discredit Nvidia, the blame lies soley on Nvidia for that.
    If I had (all) the specs for GF100, I'd post them straight up, just like I did with any info before it. Thing is, AMD seems to "not mind" and they actually ask random people to post parts of their specs. NV really seems to be uptight about it's info. That's why I only get the codenames like "Optimus" from their presentations a few days before their embargoed outing.

But that's just the difference in companies. A marketing driven closed society versus a business driven open one.

Xtreme Addict
    Is post #905 an example of posting stuff straight up?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trinibwoy View Post
    Is post #905 an example of posting stuff straight up?
    y-y-yes?

Xtreme Addict
    Ok, then. Just checking

So basically it won't be out until summer, then it won't be in stock until fall then it will be time to shrink it already to keep up with ATI/AMD.

Mmmhmm

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ulticool View Post
    So basically it won't be out until summer, then it won't be in stock until fall then it will be time to shrink it already to keep up with ATI/AMD.

Mmmhmm
    It dosen't have to mean that GF100 itself is delayed. Nvidia may have delayed that dual GPU version, and from the estimates that we have seen, ATI should retain the performance crown with the HD5970 even after the "GTX380/GTX360" release.
    Regards,
    Chris

Core i7 920 3931A318 4.4GHz 1.375vcore | EVGA X58 Classified E760 | EVGA GTX470 1280MB | Corsair Dominator GT 7-8-7-20 1688MHz | Heatkiller 3.0 CU and Feser xChanger 480 | Seasonic M12 (Soon to be replaced)

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by H2O View Post
    It dosen't have to mean that GF100 itself is delayed. Nvidia may have delayed that dual GPU version, and from the estimates that we have seen, ATI should retain the performance crown with the HD5970 even after the "GTX380/GTX360" release.
    It does mean GF100 availability has been delayed. I'm saying that MP doesn't start for quite some time, perhaps hinting at an A4 revision.

Now.. Fermi2 otoh.. that might be closer than everyone thinks.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Now.. Fermi2 otoh.. that might be closer than everyone thinks.
    That's going to depend on when the 28nm process is available to nvidia. The design will be ready, but they are still susceptible to delays per the fabs.

Xtreme Addict
    I think Fermi design is just crying for a shrink, if what I am hearing is correct.
    Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    INTEL Core i7 920 // ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 // OCZ 3G1600 6GB // POWERCOLOR HD5970 // Cooler Master HAF 932 // Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme // SAMSUNG T260 26"

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    i thought the 5xxx was worse than any performance comparable 4xxx in price?
    well ATI seem to have headroom in that... i mean even on their slides they had msot stuff priced 50~100$$$ less plus im sure they could drop it more then that.... so I think they will jsut drop prices to kill the price/perf like last round

Quote Originally Posted by xVeinx View Post
    That's going to depend on when the 28nm process is available to nvidia. The design will be ready, but they are still susceptible to delays per the fabs.
    as they use tsmc it'll will be 32nm right 28nm is GF and I thought nvidia said they wont use them?

is everyone forgetting ATI's supposed launch in september~october of a new complete arch... isn't that kind of bad for DUAL fermi if that seems to be hinting coming out around then :/.... hell if ati get their ass in to gear they may even be able to have it as a tool to take the thunder away from them....

saying that I hope nvidia's fermi suprises us atleast a little bit cos last round they got beat pretty bad(price/perf wise).... and this time it seems worse..... :/
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James

Xtreme Member
    I think it makes sense why ati is ahead right now.

Smaller gpus are easier to design, easier to produce, easier to reach expected speeds since they are less hot. And yields are better, way better.

I really don't understand why Nvidia is still going on with monolithic huge designs, it makes them loose ground to the competition, it's pretty stupid.

Even if they get at some point the halo with top of the line products, if you don't have the perf/price ratio right and you cannot invade every segment of the market with products because you cannot shrink the design, then in the long term you will loose more than you gain.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Florinmocanu View Post
    I think it makes sense why ati is ahead right now.

Smaller gpus are easier to design, easier to produce, easier to reach expected speeds since they are less hot. And yields are better, way better.

I really don't understand why Nvidia is still going on with monolithic huge designs, it makes them loose ground to the competition, it's pretty stupid.

Even if they get at some point the halo with top of the line products, if you don't have the perf/price ratio right and you cannot invade every segment of the market with products because you cannot shrink the design, then in the long term you will loose more than you gain.
    yeah but 5870 is pretty monilithic... i thinks it's just random annoying crap thats keeping them back like solving one thign leads to another thing... :/

rest i agree with... I think they will end up renaming again.. to stay competitive in the lower segments
    "Cast off your fear. Look forward. Never stand still, retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. SHOUT! My name is…"
    //James

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesrt2004 View Post
    as they use tsmc it'll will be 32nm right 28nm is GF and I thought nvidia said they wont use them?
    TSMC drops 32nm in favor of 28nm

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesrt2004 View Post
    yeah but 5870 is pretty monilithic... i thinks it's just random annoying crap thats keeping them back like solving one thign leads to another thing... :/

rest i agree with... I think they will end up renaming again.. to stay competitive in the lower segments
    well, RV 870 at 330mm2 is a medium sized gpu, i would say over 400mm and more is where the real fun/problems begin, and at over 500 mm, fermi is big, one of the biggest ever made.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuroimaho View Post
    Still a rumour... plus they showd things at 32nm and saying it's on track so I personally don't believe it but as theres obv' some information out there i'll happily eat my words if wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Florinmocanu View Post
    well, RV 870 at 330mm2 is a medium sized gpu, i would say over 400mm and more is where the real fun/problems begin, and at over 500 mm, fermi is big, one of the biggest ever made.
    ok fair point :P i'm just used to small-er chips from the last couple series I guess

but I agree that going monolithic although having advantages has a pretty heft(huge) downside, I think ati's approach has been much better :/ ok so this round their card was power hungry but as it was only a stop gap until the new arch we cant really complain too much....

I think fermi will show its actual power on the 32/28nm node's (w/e they choose to go with) I just hope it's sooner then later.... im not sure how far tsmc has got.. but we know GF seems to have some pretty complicated wafer's on the go that DON'T look like tests so they are obviously pretty easily on track.

TSMC doesn't seem as vocal.... apart from they showed that 32nm wafer(but I don't know much about it as i havent seen pics of it) but i hope it's pretty advanced/more advanced then GF's 28nm tech as nvidia could be helped quite a bit if they can get the shrink out around the ATI launch (as long as that isn't plagued as much as nvidia's one is/was)
    //James

Page 37 of 82 FirstFirst ... 273435363738394047 ... LastLast