Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: --- r e f l e X i o n ---

Xtreme Member
    Are you sure you can't squeeze both of them in there? Looking good, want to see those side panels!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by punkrockpolak View Post
    Are you sure you can't squeeze both of them in there? Looking good, want to see those side panels!
    The 120 will be replaced with a 240, so there will be two radiators in the case. One on top, one on bottom.

Alright, this is for you, Shazza. Hope you like.

Xtreme Member
    Good pics, I dunno if I like how glossy XSPC's rad's are. Then again I'm not a fan of gloss

[Project] Lateralus
    ------------------
    Intel i7 920 DO @4.2gz /H20
    EVGA Classified 760 /H20
    EVGA GTX275 715/1600 /H20
    6gb Corsair Dominator CL7
    Auzentech X-fi Forte
    Intel X25-M G2 80gb
    WD Black 1TB
    Corsair 1000HX
    Custom Silverstone TJ07

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dingdong555 View Post
    What about a triple in the top?
    I think it might make things a little too cluttered. In addition, I don't really think it's needed. The RX240 is a great rad--nearly on par with the TC PA240--and sometimes performs on the level of a 360 anyway, from what I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage
    Good pics, I dunno if I like how glossy XSPC's rad's are. Then again I'm not a fan of gloss
    Ha.. part of that glossy look is due to the 2x1000w softboxes that are shining directly on them.

They're very attractive pieces in person.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Looking good there mate, keep it up. I will be watching

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Here's the final side panel design cut. I may be tweaking the edges again just to make sure they're as smooth as possible before cutting, but the design itself will not change. I'm still mulling over the different color options I have in mind for the acrylic and paint. The good thing is that the acrylic underlay can be easily swapped out to provide a variety of effects for the galaxy rings. I'm thinking that maybe a nice metallic gun metal gray may be the way to go for the case exterior instead of black. It's less common and may better represent the high-dollar look that I'm going for.

I was able to purchase two solid side panels from Cooler Master today--one for the waterjet cut and one in case I *$^& up the waterjet cut. Only $14.99/apiece.. heck of a deal compared to what I thought I was going to have to pay. I've also started sourcing waterjets in my area and hope to have that squared away soon.

Last edited by Xion X2; 10-18-2009 at 02:10 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Xion X2 View Post
    Here's the final side panel design cut. I may be tweaking the edges again just to make sure they're as smooth as possible before cutting, but the design itself will not change. I'm still mulling over the different color options I have in mind for the acrylic and paint. The good thing is that the acrylic underlay can be easily swapped out to provide a variety of effects for the galaxy rings. I'm thinking that maybe a nice metallic gun metal gray may be the way to go for the case exterior instead of black. It's less common and may better represent the high-dollar look that I'm going for.

I was able to purchase two solid side panels from Cooler Master today--one for the waterjet cut and one in case I *$^& up the waterjet cut. Only $14.99/apiece.. heck of a deal compared to what I thought I was going to have to pay. I've also started sourcing waterjets in my area and hope to have that squared away soon.

hRmm, I think it's upside-down. ; )

Xtreme Enthusiast
    [Duplicate shot as further down, so deleted.]
    Last edited by Xion X2; 10-17-2009 at 09:41 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    With the side panel on the frame.

Xtreme Guru
    Can't wait till the build starts on this. It is going to be pretty cool.

When you think it will move from concept phase to build phase?
    Project Millertime: The Core I5 build

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Alright, an update.

Quote Originally Posted by millertime359 View Post
    Can't wait till the build starts on this. It is going to be pretty cool.

When you think it will move from concept phase to build phase?
    Hey, Miller. I'd say in probably another week if I can get some good work in this weekend. The objective was to make some headway on the custom pump mounts tonight which I feel I've done. I still need to design the drive mounts, and after that I'll start to do some cutting.

Here is a the idea I have for the pump mounts. I will either modify the drive cage or build a custom piece to set the pumps on panels and looking through two windows which will be cut vertically, one under the other, for the reservoir tops to show through.

Once the pumps are mounted in the frame, the frame will be joined with a custom bay cover that acts as an overlay.

The cover will slide onto the frame and will be secured with countersunk screws.

After the assembly is secured, it will mount in the drive bay.

The measurements aren't exact yet, but you get the idea. The bay cover will have holes drilled to route the tubing from both radiators/pumps.
    Last edited by Xion X2; 10-16-2009 at 07:40 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Looks amazing dude, but you're going to drive us all crazy! Though it might be good to keep us in suspense. If this build translates into the real world as sick as it looks in the renders, the very universe may implode at the sheer awesome of it all.

Xtreme Cable Management Freak
    looks amazing man! now hurry up and make it! we all want to see this done ASAP!
    Project: HeadShot
    Intel i7 3770k | Corsair H100
    EVGA GTX-590 Classified | XSPC GTX 590 Waterblock
    Gigabyte G1.Sniper 2 MotherBoard | Swiftech MCR-320 Res/Rad/Pump
    16GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile Ram
    Crucial M4 128GB / Intel X25-M 160GB / WD 1TB Black
    Corsair AX850W PSU
    27" Apple Cinema Display (2560x1440)
    Corsair 600t White
    Picture

You best be Crunching and Folding/GPUgrid'ing!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dingdong555 View Post
    AMAZING mate.
    Thanks, ding.

Quote Originally Posted by apt403 View Post
    Looks amazing dude, but you're going to drive us all crazy! Though it might be good to keep us in suspense. If this build translates into the real world as sick as it looks in the renders, the very universe may implode at the sheer awesome of it all.
    Hey man, good things come to those who wait. And that includes me.

Seriously, believe me when I say I'd love to start cutting tomorrow, but I'm not quite ready yet. I believe that taking a little extra time with design and aesthetics will pay big dividends later on. I don't want there to be any shortcomings with this build.. at least none that are under my control. And given the fact that much of it will be custom, careful design and measurements are key.

the very universe may implode at the sheer awesome of it all

Hehe, that's the point!

Quote Originally Posted by MaByBoI View Post
    looks amazing man! now hurry up and make it! we all want to see this done ASAP!
    Soon. Very soon.

I'm doing some render work on the bay cover tonight to route the tubing and will start on the SSD mount solution tomorrow. I do appreciate all the positive comments and especially the enthusiasm that many of you are showing for this build. That confirms what I've thought to be true in that I'm headed in the right direction.

If only you guys knew what I REALLY had in store for the final build. Everything shown thus far is merely crumbs.

But.. I must keep some things a secret.

More updates to come soon.
    Last edited by Xion X2; 10-17-2009 at 07:16 PM.

Xtreme Guru
    Dude, that is intense. I really can't wait to see this move forward. How are you planning on routing the tubing through that cover and what about HD mounting and optical drive mounting?

Are you planing on backlighting the res'?

edit: just seen the drilling holes part, still curious on how you plan to keep everything neat and tidy.

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Dude, that is intense. I really can't wait to see this move forward. How are you planning on routing the tubing through that cover and what about HD mounting and optical drive mounting?

edit: just seen the drilling holes part, still curious on how you plan to keep everything neat and tidy.
    Four holes will be drilled slightly larger than the tubing diameter. The tubing will route from the res then outside the bay cover then through the return hole.

A shot from inside the bay cover:

And then from the outside.

This shot here shows the benefit of mapping out everything in Max before you go to cutting. I can see that I'll need to cut the windows on the bay smaller than they currently are so that the inside frame windows aren't revealed so obviously.

The good thing about the bay cover is that it conceals things that I want hidden, such as the drive cage (if I decide to keep it instead of custom cutting one) and excess wiring. I am actually thinking about mounting the PSU into the bottom of it since it could be an effective way to hide the core bundle of wires. I have the most room on the back of the drive cage, so that's where many of them would be hidden, anyway.
    Last edited by Xion X2; 10-20-2009 at 07:00 PM.

Xtreme Guru
    Great job there. I like the chrome accent rings around the holes and the chrome logo. It really sets off that plate. Looking forward to seeing more.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Xion X2 View Post

That kind of looks like the nvidia logo.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Great job there. I like the chrome accent rings around the holes and the chrome logo. It really sets off that plate. Looking forward to seeing more.
    Thanks, I think so as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Weevil View Post
    That kind of looks like the nvidia logo.
    Eh, they may be vaguely similar but are actually quite different. The NV logo is in the shape of an eye (not an ellipse,) has no elliptical center and does not have two arms spinning in opposite directions. Half the logo is also a block solid.

The NV logo wasn't even close to my mind when my friend and I came up with this. (I do need to round off that bottom arm a little more...)

Quote Originally Posted by millertime359
    what about HD mounting and optical drive mounting?

Working on the SSD mount this afternoon. There will be no internal optical drive. To me, they're just a waste of internal space since you can easily hook one up through an external USB. By doing that I'll have more space in the case to work with.

I haven't decided whether or not to backlight the res yet. If I do, it would probably be something quaint and not too flashy.
    Last edited by Xion X2; 10-18-2009 at 10:02 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    I'm just teasin ya, thought you'd like that ; )

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Weevil View Post
    I'm just teasin ya, thought you'd like that ; )
    It's cool. I just don't want anyone to get the impression that I'm simply going around copying stuff. One of the key objectives of this project was to come up with something unique which, granted, is difficult to do these days with so many products already on the market.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Tackling the SSD mount. Please ignore the green pegs as they're simply there to mark the screwholes on the SSDs. The initial idea is to have the SSDs mounted to an acrylic frame to give them a "floating" appearance through the window which will be cut on both top and bottom portions of the bay just as the pump windows were (except that the windows on the right will be sized to fit the SSDs.)

Last edited by Xion X2; 10-18-2009 at 06:32 PM.

Xtreme Guru
    That is really nice dude, I really can't wait for build pics

Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast