Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AMD RV790 & RV740 in 40nm in March 2009

Xtreme Member
    got this from techpowerup:

It will be a current-generation GPU built on the next generation 40nm manufacturing technology. There is a lot of speculation surrounding the RV790's specifications, with some of the more plausible ones hinting it has two additional SIMD clusters (960 SPs) and a total 48 texture memory units (TMUs). Both the RV740 and RV790 are slated for March, there's also a little indication of AMD using the occasion of CeBIT for its announcements and product launches.

full article can be found here: http://www.techpowerup.com/

and the source of this information is here: http://www.hardware-infos.com (german)
    Processor: Intel Core i7 990X
    Motherboard: ASUS Rampage III Extreme
    Memory: Corsair CMT6GX3M3A2000C8
    Video Card: MSI N680GTX Lightning
    Power Supply: Seasonic S12 650W
    Case: Chieftec BH-01B-B-B

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Quote Originally Posted by munim View Post
    Can you explain your post for the uninitiated? What is "pad limited" etc?
    All the chips have pads/wires on the backside that are soldered to the boards they are attached to. As the chips get smaller, you can put only so many of these wires on the backside of the chip, limiting input/output/power. So, for RV770 with a 256-bit memory controller let's say you need 400 pins. On 55nm the size of the chip gives you enough space that you can fit all these 400 pins but if you keep the logic(transistor) count of the chip the same but shrink to 40nm, you will have much less physical space for these pins and may only be able to attach 300 pins. So this requires either a smaller memory controller or making the chip larger, ie adding more logic, to get enough surface area for all the pins.

I hope that all made sense

Xtreme Addict
    TSMC or TFC?

Quote Originally Posted by shiznit93 View Post
    dominance?

GTX260 costs the same as 4780, is just as fast in real games people actually play instead of crap like call of juarez (minimum framerates often get ignored), overclocks better, uses less power, has better drivers (ati is always releasing hotfixes, still no game profiles), better looking anisotropic filtering, is quieter and cooler. ATI just now got a north american partner with lifetime warranty.

Obviously Ati does it with a much smaller gpu and nvidia's margins on the GTX are crap but from a consumer point of view the GTX series is just as good in price/performance and imo better when you consider reliability and support.

I guess you are going to bring up the 4870x2 but I don't consider multi-gpu viable.
    LET THE WARS BEGIN!

It took Nvidia how many months to get the GTX 260 to be what it should have been from the very beginning? Even if it had been such a great card from the beginning, it is far from complete, or any, Nvidia dominance for 2008 - thus it makes your point useless!

End it. Now.
    Last edited by Calmatory; 01-11-2009 at 02:48 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    I can't believe that guy went and edited his post to "further own" me. After I explained the history of my comment...

I mean that, I literally can't. Because it didn't happen.
    Last edited by Sly Fox; 01-11-2009 at 03:08 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sly Fox View Post
    I can't believe that guy went and edited his post to "further own" me. After I explained the history of my comment...

So sad...
    I didn't do that, the edit was before I saw your response. I was actually gonna post "doh", letting you know that I hadn't realized you were being sarcastic, but I didn't want to contribute any further to a nv vs ati war I had no intention of starting.
    Core i5 750 3.8ghz, TRUE 120 w/Panaflo M1A 7v
    ASRock P55 Deluxe
    XFX 5870
    2x2GB GSkill Ripjaw DDR3-1600
    Samsung 2233RZ - Pioneer PDP-5020FD - Hyundai L90D+
    Raptor WD1500ADFD - WD Caviar Green 1.5TB
    X-FI XtremeMusic w/ LN4962
    Seasonic S12-500
    Antec P182

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by shiznit93 View Post
    I didn't do that, the edit was before you responded. I was actually gonna post "doh", letting you know that I hadn't realized you were being sarcastic, but I didn't want to contribute any further to a nv vs ati war I had no intention of starting.
    Well I'll take your word for it, I was just going off the post times.

In any case, the idea of any company having "dominance" is a bit laughable in itself. The tech industry shifts so often and so dramatically... You can never really predict the future with 100% accuracy.

40nm Nvidia / ATI should both be nice, but after 55nm Nvidia, I'm going to give ATI a bit more benefit of the doubt.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I often think of something else to say and then add it into my post without checking if the person I quoted has responded, it's a bad habit I know...
    Core i5 750 3.8ghz, TRUE 120 w/Panaflo M1A 7v
    ASRock P55 Deluxe
    XFX 5870
    2x2GB GSkill Ripjaw DDR3-1600
    Samsung 2233RZ - Pioneer PDP-5020FD - Hyundai L90D+
    Raptor WD1500ADFD - WD Caviar Green 1.5TB
    X-FI XtremeMusic w/ LN4962
    Seasonic S12-500
    Antec P182

Xtreme Member
    Ati won the AA war in 2008 and so far is still beating Nvidia in it. Just watch how fast GTX 295 crumbles in front of 4870x2 when you go for 8xAA or higher in modern games.

Xtreme Mentor
    Hmm when's Intel coming out with their thingy again?
    Asus Rampage Formula X48
    Intel Q9650 @ 4.33GHZ
    OCZ Platinum DDR2-800
    Palit 4870x2
    Creative Xi-Fi Extreme Music
    Corsair HX1000
    LL 343B Case
    Thermochill 120.3
    2xMCP355
    KL 350AT
    KL 4870X2 FC WB
    DD Chipset Block

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] gomeler View Post
    All the chips have pads/wires on the backside that are soldered to the boards they are attached to. As the chips get smaller, you can put only so many of these wires on the backside of the chip, limiting input/output/power. So, for RV770 with a 256-bit memory controller let's say you need 400 pins. On 55nm the size of the chip gives you enough space that you can fit all these 400 pins but if you keep the logic(transistor) count of the chip the same but shrink to 40nm, you will have much less physical space for these pins and may only be able to attach 300 pins. So this requires either a smaller memory controller or making the chip larger, ie adding more logic, to get enough surface area for all the pins.

I hope that all made sense
    Surface area isn't what would be limiting the chip but the perimeter.

Quote Originally Posted by situman View Post
    Hmm when's Intel coming out with their thingy again?
    Late 2009 was the initial target, so sometime in 2010.
    Originally Posted by motown_steve
    Every genocide that was committed during the 20th century has been preceded by the disarmament of the target population. Once the government outlaws your guns your life becomes a luxury afforded to you by the state. You become a tool to benefit the state. Should you cease to benefit the state or even worse become an annoyance or even a hindrance to the state then your life becomes more trouble than it is worth.

Once the government outlaws your guns your life is forfeit. You're already dead, it's just a question of when they are going to get around to you.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LiquidReactor View Post
    Ati won the AA war in 2008 and so far is still beating Nvidia in it. Just watch how fast GTX 295 crumbles in front of 4870x2 when you go for 8xAA or higher in modern games.
    Uhmm not so simple. There is less memory on the 295, so it's more likely to run out of FB.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by LiquidReactor View Post
    Yep, because we all know, nearly everyone plays at 2560x1600 with 8xAA
    Intel Core i7 6900K
    Noctua NH-D15
    Asus X99A II
    32 GB G.Skill TridentZ @ 3400 CL15 CR1
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5
    Sennheiser HD-598
    Samsung 960 Pro 1TB
    Western Digital Raptor 600GB
    Asus 12x Blu-Ray Burner
    Sony Optiarc 24x DVD Burner with NEC chipset
    Antec HCP-1200w Power Supply
    Viewsonic XG2703-GS
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
    Logitech G502 gaming mouse w/Razer Exact Mat
    Logitech G910 mechanical gaming keyboard
    Windows 8 x64 Pro

Xtreme Addict
    "FINISH HER!"
    -Shao Kahn

Quote Originally Posted by Sr7 View Post
    Uhmm not so simple. There is less memory on the 295, so it's more likely to run out of FB.
    In normal cases it wouldn't be a big disadvantage, but nVidia's memory management is less optimized compared to ATI's. The initial amount used is more, which is why their 256-512MB cards run out of steam fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by radaja View Post
    so are they launching BD soon or a comic book?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    ???5870x2???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5870x2 1.JPG 
Views:	1017 
Size:	11.9 KB 
ID:	92754   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5870x2.JPG 
Views:	1017 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	92755  
    Last edited by Martin.v.r; 01-11-2009 at 04:49 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Carfax View Post
    Well no, but when it comes to quad SLI/CF you could assume that.

Although in brand new graphically demanding games, both sets of cards fall apart at that res/AA... So it's almost moot.

I suppose you could say the X2 has an advantage in slightly older games at super high res/AA or something.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Macadamia View Post
    "FINISH HER!"
    -Shao Kahn

In normal cases it wouldn't be a big disadvantage, but nVidia's memory management is less optimized compared to ATI's. The initial amount used is more, which is why their 256-512MB cards run out of steam fast.
    lol.. any evidence to back that up? sounds like a bit of an outlandish claim.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin.v.r View Post
    ???5870x2???
    Great, just beautiful
    Friends shouldn't let friends use Windows 7 until Microsoft fixes Windows Explorer (link)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryR, on John Fruehe (JF-AMD) View Post
    Pretty much. Plus, he's here voluntarily.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Sr7 View Post
    lol.. any evidence to back that up? sounds like a bit of an outlandish claim.
    The B3D dudes have talked about it a long time before, IIRC during/before the G92 launch period.

It's hard to compare to ATI at that period because the 3850/70 were bad performers with AA on, and only AA would tax memory usage extensively enough to limit you to <1600x1200.

At raw speed tests it's harder to determine, but there are still cases where the 256MB on the 8800GT runs out first compared to the 3850.

There are also cases where the 8800GT 512MB flat-out dies off at 1920*1200 8x AA while the 3870 still holds on, although not very playable. I think this one can be referred to in the Computerbase tests.

Xtreme Addict
    Yea, I remember seeing some tests where they measured video memory usage in the same games at the same settings with the same OS and processes, and ATI used less memory.

Dunno why that's hard to believe. It seems logical that Nvidia and ATI would have their own memory management systems, and I highly doubt they would both be
    100% equally efficient.

Xtreme Addict
    Anyway, RV790 is Performance 55nm process, not 40nm.

RV740 is the sole 40nm chip for now. I'm not sure if 790 still actually exists or is just a sandbag pipedream.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carfax View Post
    Well %!@, if you don't need AA why do you even need to buy modern graphics cards for ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Macadamia View Post
    The B3D dudes have talked about it a long time before, IIRC during/before the G92 launch period.

It's hard to compare to ATI at that period because the 3850/70 were bad performers with AA on, and only AA would tax memory usage extensively enough to limit you to <1600x1200.

At raw speed tests it's harder to determine, but there are still cases where the 256MB on the 8800GT runs out first compared to the 3850.

There are also cases where the 8800GT 512MB flat-out dies off at 1920*1200 8x AA while the 3870 still holds on, although not very playable. I think this one can be referred to in the Computerbase tests.
    Even if that were definitive proof of what you describe, it's been over a year since those products were introduced, and there have been many new driver schemes with new memory optimizations on both sides... This isn't an all-true fact of life written in stone though you describe it as though today you know definitively what's happening with memory usage.

All I'm saying is there are so many variables here, and since there are also architectural limitations contributing, it's oversimplifying to sit here and write about how one brand uses more memory than another.
    Last edited by Sr7; 01-11-2009 at 07:25 PM.

Xtreme Guru
    1ghz so easy vmod probably not required

vmoded @ 1.1ghz easy

bring it amd!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin.v.r View Post
    ???5870x2???
    Where's that from?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by hurleybird View Post
    Where's that from?
    Adobe?