Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Thread: PCPER.com: 5 GHZ+ Phenom II Overclock on Dry Ice, 6Ghz on LN2

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Newblar View Post
    so would deneb justify buying any amd stock? ive been looking for some very good and cheap technology stock, and if amd can last then id like to buy a few hundred stocks
    but the problem is nehalem in the server market, we all know that the regular consumer market is nothing to the server market for cpu's. and nehalem would absolutely tear the deneb server version (forgot name ^_^) and amd a new one
    I've had AMD for a while now, and at this news, I'm even more sure of hanging onto it.

Hope its true.

Getting AMD back in the game would be awesome.

Faster and cheaper hardware for everyone!

I am Xtreme
    So many sources are confirming this message .... Yeeha!
    Where courage, motivation and ignorance meet, a persistent idiot awakens.

If this is true, I am so ready to buy a AMD-system
    !

Wuf
    You're saying these don't have coldbug and they will be cheaper than bloomies?

I say: I'm getting an phenom the second!
    You use IRC and Crunch in Xs WCG team? Join #xs.wcg @ Quakenet
    [22:53:09] [@Jaco-XS] i'm gonna overclock this damn box!
    Ze gear:
    Main rig: W3520 + 12GB ddr3 + Gigabyte X58A-UD3R rev2.0! + HD7970 + HD6350 DMS59 + HX520 + 2x X25-E 32gig R0 + Bunch of HDDs.
    ESXI: Dell C6100 XS23-TY3 Node - 1x L5630 + 24GB ECC REG + Brocade 1020 10GbE
    ZFS Server: Supermicro 826E1 + Supermicro X8DAH+-F + 1x L5630 + 24GB ECC REG + 10x 3TB HDDs + Brocade 1020 10GbE
    Lappy!: Lenovo Thinkpad W500: T9600 + 8GB + FireGL v5700 + 128GB Samsung 830 + 320GB 2.5" in ze dvd slot + 1920x1200 @ 15.4"

Xtreme Cruncher
    Lets just hope the retail ones can keep the same numbers. And hope these aint another cherry picked ones like the 3Ghz Phenom that was earlier.

Also as said the 6Ghz already changed. Plus here is abit more about the rest:

AMD took care of that itself at an event in Austin this morning, where it showcased four overclocked Phenom II systems. TR editor-in-chief Scott Wasson was on the scene, and while AMD didn't allow attendees to take pictures, he jotted down a few details.

The slowest system—cooled with a heatsink and fan—managed to reach just under 4GHz with a 1.55V core voltage. With liquid cooling, AMD successfully pushed a 45nm Phenom II in another machine just over the 4GHz mark. That required kicking up the CPU voltage to 1.6V, however. For the other two systems, AMD took out the big guns. One was strapped to a phase-change cooler and reached the mid-4GHz range at 1.7V, while the fastest system managed to well over 5GHz using liquid nitrogen (which kept the core temperature down to a chilly -185°C).
    So no 4Ghz without water. And even with phase its mid 4Ghz at 1.7V. And the 5Ghz+ was 1.9V.
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shintai View Post
    Lets just hope the retail ones can keep the same numbers. And hope these aint another cherry picked ones like the 3Ghz Phenom that was earlier.

So no 4Ghz without water. And even with phase its mid 4Ghz at 1.7V. And the 5Ghz+ was 1.9V.
    There he is!

Funny thing is, that's not what most sites are saying, at least thats not the consensus. So you start off talking about cherry picking, then go cherry pick a statement/news article....
    --Intel i5 3570k 4.4ghz (stock volts) - Corsair H100 - 6970 UL XFX 2GB - - Asrock Z77 Professional - 16GB Gskill 1866mhz - 2x90GB Agility 3 - WD640GB - 2xWD320GB - 2TB Samsung Spinpoint F4 - Audigy-- --NZXT Phantom - Samsung SATA DVD--(old systems Intel E8400 Wolfdale/Asus P45, AMD965BEC3 790X, Antec 180, Sapphire 4870 X2 (dead twice))

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by IvanAndreevich View Post
    I bet somewhere between Kentsfield and Yorkfield in per clock performance.

Looking forward to it, if it's true. First AMD chip I am considering since S939 Opteron.
    mostly NB speed will decide where the final performance ends against the intel parts.... its already shown on shanghai that cache latency and prefetch is way better, nb speed on deneb will be higher then shanghai.

to an AMD news thread

perhaps first make a list of all kents and york's that hit 4ghz below 1,55vcore on air playing games (no not just cpu-z) before you make such a statement...

here he goes again
    Last edited by duploxxx; 11-21-2008 at 01:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Fanboyitis..
    Comes in two variations and both deadly.
    There's the green strain and the blue strain on CPU.. There's the red strain and the green strain on GPU..

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    There are reports that some ATi people are to be "blamed" () for this kind of shift in marketing and product strategy.It seems it's working,so kudos to them
    those reports about shift in marketing are true, but real address for kudos is Dresden design center and AMD-IBM team in Fishkill

Don't remember who posted this explanation about AMD's 65nm doldroms (maybe Hans)

http://www.eetimes.com/news/semi/sho...printable=true

But with 45nm tech things are complitely different, and AMD/IBM team has done some amazing job with their imersion 45nm tech, that yield all these goodies (lack of coldbug, high voltage tolerance, high clocks...)

You can read all about it here: http://www.eetimes.eu/semi/showArtic...printable=true

this part is most significant:

The new design of the PFET moves the embedded silicon-germanium source/drain regions closer to the channel to maximize the transfer of stress, thereby increasing hole mobility. Although shorter gate lengths are not driving the improvements, it is a reduction in dimensions that allows increased channel stress to provide the performance scaling. AMD 45-nm PFET design reduces the space from embedded silicon-germanium to the channel edge by half.

The transistor drive current for AMD's 45-nm devices is much lower than that of the Intel HKMG transistors. But power consumption is quickly becoming a high priority for server chips. AMD's transistors exhibit very low channel leakage.

Our transistor benchmarks indicates that leakage current is less than one-third of the value measured on AMD's 65-nm process. It's also significantly lower than the Intel 45-nm HKMG process. In fact the Ion/Ioff ratio for AMD's PFET is nearly 10 times better than that for the Intel PFET.

oh when I remember some comments on this forum that SOI is doomed with coldbug for eternety, and that is unable to produce any benefits beyond 90nm tech
    Adobe is working on Flash Player support for 64-bit platforms as part of our ongoing commitment to the cross-platform compatibility of Flash Player. We expect to provide native support for 64-bit platforms in an upcoming release of Flash Player following the release of Flash Player 10.1.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Stukov View Post
    There he is!

Funny thing is, that's not what most sites are saying, at least thats not the consensus. So you start off talking about cherry picking, then go cherry pick a statement/news article....
    Its funny how 6Ghz reported by everyone is now 5Ghz+ by everyone

And not even 4Ghz on air?

I wonder what more will change.

And you seem to want a flamewar?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Nedjo View Post
    those reports about shift in marketing are true, but real address for kudos is Dresden design center and AMD-IBM team in Fishkill

Don't remember who posted this explanation about AMD's 65nm doldroms (maybe Hans)

http://www.eetimes.com/news/semi/sho...printable=true

But with 45nm tech things are complitely different, and AMD/IBM team has done some amazing job with their imersion 45nm tech, that yield all these goodies (lack of coldbug, high voltage tolerance, high clocks...)

You can read all about it here: http://www.eetimes.eu/semi/showArtic...printable=true

this part is most significant:

The new design of the PFET moves the embedded silicon-germanium source/drain regions closer to the channel to maximize the transfer of stress, thereby increasing hole mobility. Although shorter gate lengths are not driving the improvements, it is a reduction in dimensions that allows increased channel stress to provide the performance scaling. AMD 45-nm PFET design reduces the space from embedded silicon-germanium to the channel edge by half.

The transistor drive current for AMD's 45-nm devices is much lower than that of the Intel HKMG transistors. But power consumption is quickly becoming a high priority for server chips. AMD's transistors exhibit very low channel leakage.

Our transistor benchmarks indicates that leakage current is less than one-third of the value measured on AMD's 65-nm process. It's also significantly lower than the Intel 45-nm HKMG process. In fact the Ion/Ioff ratio for AMD's PFET is nearly 10 times better than that for the Intel PFET.

oh when I remember some comments on this forum that SOI is doomed with coldbug for eternety, and that is unable to produce any benefits beyond 90nm tech
    Remember AMDs 65nm was also better than Intels 65nm in this area....

Xtremely Kool
    Quote Originally Posted by hollo View Post
    maybe 6g post but no boot and AMD don't want to take any 'risks' right now?
    Its more likely that they want to show enough to get the enthusiasts interested & not enough to get the attention of Intel that could lead Intel slashing prices heavily on its product range before AMD gets the P2 out the door.

It worked for ATI with NV prices being way off the mark because ATI held a little back of the 4XXX's full potential.

Xtreme Addict
    In fairness this isn't the final stepping. Could be even better come retail launch.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Nedjo View Post
    Our transistor benchmarks indicates that leakage current is less than one-third of the value measured on AMD's 65-nm process. It's also significantly lower than the Intel 45-nm HKMG process. In fact the Ion/Ioff ratio for AMD's PFET is nearly 10 times better than that for the Intel PFET. [/i][/b]
    I am struggling to believe this statement without the IV curves and Ion/Ioff curves to assess the validity of this.... it just sounds way way to much.

here is what I mean, Intel's drive current for PMOS is about 1000 uA/um at an Ioff of 100 nA/um ... that is a ratio of 10:1, for AMD to be 10 times better would mean that at a Ion of 600ish that the EETimes article is quoting ... their Ioff would need to be 6 nA/um this is an order of manitude lower than any PMOS Ioff ever reported for a high performance high Vt proces. Ever.

It is just hard to believe.... hopefully AMD/IBM will produce some data at IEDM in a few weeks and we will be able to see if this guys claims are true... I sincerely doubt it.
    Last edited by JumpingJack; 11-21-2008 at 01:18 AM.
    One hundred years from now It won't matter
    What kind of car I drove What kind of house I lived in
    How much money I had in the bank Nor what my cloths looked like.... But The world may be a little better Because, I was important In the life of a child.
    -- from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft

Xtreme Mentor
    Its funny how 6Ghz reported by everyone is now 5Ghz+ by everyone

And not even 4Ghz on air?

I wonder what more will change.

And you seem to want a flamewar?
    I don't think that Andreas would lie:

http://www.nordichardware.com/news,8389.html

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas G
    AMD decided to takes things in its own hands during an event in Austin, Texas. It took the unreleased Phenom II, based on the quad-core Deneb architecture, and slapped a pot suitable for exotic on it. After lowering the temperature to -185°C and raising the voltage to somewhere north of 1.9V the processor was able to move north of 6GHz. We don't know the exact frequency. At this time this is actually higher than what Nehalem can do.
    Adobe is working on Flash Player support for 64-bit platforms as part of our ongoing commitment to the cross-platform compatibility of Flash Player. We expect to provide native support for 64-bit platforms in an upcoming release of Flash Player following the release of Flash Player 10.1.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    while i'l be glad if amd is back in the game, i'l believe it when i see it. With so much hype lately and no actual delivery from amd anything is possible. Let's see retails do that.
    Abit IC7 P4 2.8a @4.21 | P4 3.4e @4.9 | Gainward 6800GT GS @486/1386
    Asus P4P800 SE Dothan 730-PM @ 2900 | EVGA 6800 Ultra GS @521/1376

e8400@4.3G & 8800GTS G92 800/1932/1132 as gaming rig 24/7

Custom self build chillbox with watercooling @-28c 24/7 | chilled wc " cpu -18c idle/-3c load
    3DMark 2005 Score Dothan & 6800U
    3DMark 2005 Score p4 & 6800GT

Xtreme Addict
    Pfew, I was almost afraid you wouldnt show up anymore, but well, you prolly have the same reason as Ive anyway regarding timzone and stuff.

Anyway, how many Intel systems actually reach 4Ghz+ without water? There's a few nice chips from Intel but seriously, there ain't a lot different with those results compared to Intel

But it's indeed recommendable not to have too cherry picked chips, more of pre-testing a bunch not to risk to have a lemon.
    Synaptic Overflow

CPU:
    -Intel Core i7 920 3841A522
    --CPU: 4200Mhz| Vcore: +120mV| Uncore: 3200Mhz| VTT: +100mV| Turbo: On| HT: Off
    ---CPU block: EK Supreme Acetal| Radiator: TCF X-Changer 480mm
    Motherboard:
    -Foxconn Bloodrage P06
    --Blck: 200Mhz| QPI: 3600Mhz
    Graphics:
    -Sapphire Radeon HD 4870X2
    --GPU: 750Mhz| GDDR: 900Mhz
    RAM:
    -3x 2GB Mushkin XP3-12800
    --Mhz: 800Mhz| Vdimm: 1.65V| Timings: 7-8-7-20-1T
    Storage:
    -3Ware 9650SE-2LP RAID controller
    --2x Western Digital 74GB Raptor RAID 0
    PSU:
    -Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250W
    -Windows Vista Business x64

ORDERED: Sapphire HD 5970 OC
    LOOKING FOR: 2x G.Skill Falcon II 128GB SSD, Windows 7

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post

This news came with a big suprise to me. What I'd really like to see is how nonhandpicked samples fare overclock wise
    average 3.6 on air with 1.4v, more voltage doesnt help really...

So no 4Ghz without water
    some chips can do 4ghz on air (TRUE) with 1.4v but not that many...

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by saaya View Post
    average 3.6 on air with 1.4v, more voltage doesnt help really...

some chips can do 4ghz on air (TRUE) with 1.4v but not that many...
    Are you speaking from personal experience with these chips? Or are these your estimates?

I hope this is for real. I havenīt seen any cpu that turned me on after the Q6600. Maybe AMD will recandle my cpu upgrading flame. Well guys donīt forget what happened with the release of HD 48XX CARDS: (lowered prices and something new to play with) On a more serious note, ainīt you guys bored with overclocking only Intel chips.
    Last edited by Shocker003; 11-21-2008 at 02:44 AM.

MAIN RIG--:
    ASUS ROG Strix XG32VQ---:AMD Ryzen 7 5800X--Aquacomputer Cuplex Kryos NEXT--:ASUS Crosshair VIII HERO---
    32GB G-Skill AEGIS F4-3000C16S-8GISB --:MSI RADEON RX 6900 XT---:X-Fi Titanium HD modded
    Inter-Tech Coba Nitrox Nobility CN-800 NS 800W 80+ Silver--:Cyborg RAT 8--:Creative Sound BlasterX Vanguard K08

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by massman View Post
    So many sources are confirming this message .... Yeeha!
    AMD fanboy detected...

Anyway, these are GREAT news for the consuming community. Competition = Lower Prices = Better technologies to come... etc

I am Xtreme
    the future looks nice hopefully most can do 3.6-4Ghz... will this be AMD's comeback ?... nice to have some competition again...2009 will be fun
    Question : Why do some overclockers switch into d*ckmode when money is involved

Remark : They call me Pro Asus Saaya yupp, I agree

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Solus Corvus View Post
    Are you speaking from personal experience with these chips? Or are these your estimates?
    Saaya works for Foxconn if I remember correctly, so I guess it's from experience.

I pretty much expected these chips to be cherry picked, but that does not mean we won't be seeing any of its overclock potential. Current 65 nm. Phenoms don't always have a coldbug either, so it's not something that came out of nowhere. My guess is that we will be seeing coldbugs on Phenom II, but not on all of them (hopefully not on most of them).

The AM3 versions of Deneb will probably be even better than these stepping C2 version and 4 GHz. on air should not be a rare sight to see with those is my guess. The C3 2,8 GHz. part has a DP of 95 compared to the 125 W. of the C2 version of the same clock, that has got to account for some improvement to the process and CPU. I'm eager to know what these chips will clock like in about a year from now, as AMD has the tendency to greatly improve its manufacturing process over time.

EDIT:

BTW guys, could we stop making nasty comments (or flame baiting/trolling) to others, even if you consider that other user to do so himself (once in a while). You should not say things about others and to others that you don't like to be said about you. Or how some would say it, don't lower yourself to someone else's standards. It will only put you in bad light, so speak.
    Last edited by Helmore; 11-21-2008 at 02:53 AM.
    "When in doubt, C-4!" -- Jamie Hyneman

Silverstone TJ-09 Case | Seasonic X-750 PSU | Intel Core i5 750 CPU | ASUS P7P55D PRO Mobo | OCZ 4GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon 5850 GPU | Intel X-25M 80GB SSD | WD 2TB HDD | Windows 7 x64 | NEC EA23WMi 23" Monitor |Auzentech X-Fi Forte Soundcard | Creative T3 2.1 Speakers | AudioTechnica AD900 Headphone |

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Helmore View Post
    Saaya works for Foxcon if I remember correctly, so I guess it's from experience.
    Well he certainly seems to have connections. But it's not necessarily a given which is why I asked.

That makes me think of another question I'd be interested to know: Does foxconn have any plans for future enthusiast AM2+/AM3 boards?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Solus Corvus View Post
    saaya, tony and fugger. They usually speak the truth.

These chips sound pretty good.

Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast