Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IntelBurnTest - The new stress-testing program (Now works on AMD CPUs!)

Xtreme Enthusiast

IntelBurnTest - The new stress-testing program (Now works on AMD CPUs!)

Readme
    Code:
    IntelBurnTest v1.9
    by AgentGOD
    ----------------------------
    The original. All others are copycats.

Home Page: http://www.ultimate-filez.com
    Donation : http://www.ultimate-filez.com/?page=donate

Description: 
    	    Linpack by Intel(R) is an extremely stressful program that will
    put even the most powerful X86/X64 CPU in the world at its knees. Load temp
    under Linpack will be up to 22*C higher than the competing software Prime95.
    This program will make usage of Linpack easier and more practical.

Keep in mind, use this program at your own risk. By using this program, you
    agree that neither I nor Intel shall be responsible for including, but not
    limited to: burned up CPU, fried motherboard, spontaneous room temperature
    increase, hair loss, or mental stress.

Compatibility:
    	Works with Intel(R) and AMD CPUs. Tested Intel(R) Core 2(tm) Quad
    	Q6600, Intel(R) Pentium(tm) III 550 MHz, AMD Athlon 64(tm) X2 4200+,
    	and AMD Opteron 165 (Working with AMD processors since v1.7).

Tested on Microsoft(R) Windows XP Professional SP2, XP Professional
    	X64 Edition SP2. Tested on Microsoft(R) Windows Vista(tm) X86/X64
    	by many awesome users like yourself ;)

Benefits of using Linpack:
    1. More accurate than Prime95 Small FFTs/Blend.
    2. Takes less time to tell if your CPU/RAM is unstable than Prime95 (usually
       something like 8 minutes Linpack vs 40 hours under Prime95).
    3. Use the same stress-testing engine that Intel uses to test their products
       before they are packed and put on shelves for sale.

Benefits of using IntelBurnTest:
    1. Simplifies usage of Linpack.
    2. Direct output of results to the screen.
    3. Simplifies the process of selecting a test size to use.
    4. Better appearance.

How to test CPU and RAM stability (summarized):
    Pre. You need to extract everything from the archive to a single folder, while
    	maintaining the original directory structure.
    1. It is best to use a 64-bit OS with the 64-bit mode for the most accurate
       test result.
    2. Use the most available RAM possible (IntelBurnTest can now do this on
       its own automatically). The more memory it uses, the more accurate.
    3. Select the run # (should use at least 5).
    4. Start running. Output should look something like this (unless if error detection is on*):
    	Size   LDA    Align. Time(s)    GFlops   Residual      Residual(norm)
    	10000  10000  4      15.979     41.7337  1.012665e-010 3.570760e-002
    	10000  10000  4      15.119     44.1087  1.012665e-010 3.570760e-002
    	10000  10000  4      15.216     43.8254  1.012665e-010 3.570760e-002
       NOTE: Depending on the memory size selected, the testing size will be
    	 different, so the Residual(norm) values will not be the same if you
    	 ran this test each time with different amounts of memory selected.
    5. Above indicates that the test ran fine so far without instability, but
       below indicates instability (the Residual(norm) values aren't the same
       throughout running the test):
    	Size   LDA    Align. Time(s)    GFlops   Residual      Residual(norm)
    	10000  10000  4      15.245     43.7434  1.525878e-005 5.380399e+003
    	10000  10000  4      15.250     43.7303  2.460366e-010 8.675501e-002
    	10000  10000  4      15.162     43.9816  1.012665e-010 3.570760e-002
       NOTE: Instability doesn't necessarily have to happen at the beginning, it
    	 can happen in the middle, or at the end. It could be just ONE of
    	 them that is inconsistent, but that DOES indicate instability. It is
    	 highly recommended to use the most free memory possible for the most
    	 accurate, and quick test. BSOD or freezing are signs of instability
    	 as well.

* If error detection is on, the program will only output the results at the end of the
      run, and give a conclusion about whether or not your PC is stable. If it is off,
      you will see similar output as above during the testing.

Credits:
    --------
    AgentGOD - Coding this program, duh :)
    Cronos (from XS) - for the original the memory size equation
    mikeyakame (from XS) - for notifying me of newer binaries
    WoZZeR999 (from XS) - memory size suggestion
    krille (from XS) - for the constructive criticisms
    Rob Williams (from Techgage) - for testing on a Core i7 platform
    Intel - for Linpack and a Core 2(tm) Quad processor ;)

IntelBurnTest, Copyright © 2008 Ultimate-Filez. Linpack, Copyright © Intel(R) Corporation.
    Please check the readme for usage instructions
    In my own experience, I used Prime95 on my Q6600 with Small FFTs, which showed that it was stable for 10 hours overnight at the current voltage. However, running Linpack with the most memory I had available (I have 64-bit XP, so I see all 4 GB of my RAM), it indicated instability. I had to raise the voltage up a couple of notches to get it fully stable. This will ensure me that it's now at least 24 hours Prime95 stable, if not 100% stable.

Download link:
    http://www.ultimate-filez.com/files/IntelBurnTest.zip

Native 64-bit version for WinPE
    http://www.ultimate-filez.com/files/...rnTest-x64.zip

Screen-shot:

For screen-shot purposes, I used a very low amount of memory to test.

If you like this program, please donate:

Thanks.

Code:
    v1.7
     - Patched Linpack binaries, now compatible with AMD processors!
     Note: these binaries can not be distributed without IntelBurnTest or the consent of this
    	program's author since the original idea was by the author, and the binaries
    	were patched by the author
    Last edited by AgentGOD; 12-01-2008 at 12:11 AM.
    .:: Gaming PC Specs ::.

Case: Antec Nine Hundred
    CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K @ 4.6 GHz, 1.44v (cooled by Xigmatek GAIA) [IntelBurnTest{Linpack} stable]
    GPU/Monitor: VisionTek HD 6950 @ 6970, 950 MHz/1375 MHz 1.30v + Sony BRAVIA 32EX400 1080p
    Motherboard: GIGABYTE Z68XP-UD4 F5
    Memory: 16 GB (4x 4 GB) Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 1600
    Hard Drive: 2x Seagate 500 GB 7200.11 RAID 0 & RAID 1 (Matrix RAID) + 1x WD Caviar Black 640 GB
    Sound: Creative SB X-Fi Fatal1ty Profess1onal, Logitech X-530
    PSU: Corsair AX-1200 (1500W PSU!)
    O/S: Microsoft® Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 X64

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for the update. Works good, actually got my phenom above 50c.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Original thread is here:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=197835

If any of you guys are wondering, since many AMD fans (including myself) would not think of browsing the Intel sub-forum :-D

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K @ 4.6 GHz, 1.44v (cooled by Xigmatek GAIA) [IntelBurnTest{Linpack} stable]
    GPU/Monitor: VisionTek HD 6950 @ 6970, 950 MHz/1375 MHz 1.30v + Sony BRAVIA 32EX400 1080p
    Hard Drive: 2x Seagate 500 GB 7200.11 RAID 0 & RAID 1 (Matrix RAID) + 1x WD Caviar Black 640 GB

I'll have to give this a whirl when I get home. Thanks for your hard work.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Passed on my X2 @ 3.2Ghz.So i'm stable by spintel standards j/k.
    Nice application,thanks for the good work .

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    I'll have to give this a whirl when I get home. Thanks for your hard work.

yeah surfing those intel forums can be hard..lol

I believe the OP is the author of the program, not just some random dude posting a link to it.

--

Anyway, we should get a table going of "How long did it take to complete one round of linpack?"

400 seconds here when set to 4100MB of RAM on a 9850 stock

--

Ran it again as the picture above shows. I'm apparently not stable at stock.

What hope do I have of overclocking? heh
    Last edited by Particle; 09-29-2008 at 02:31 PM.
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

UPDATE: Even if I run the program for 100 loops, the first result is always different (though all following ones are the same). Perhaps there is some compatibility or program error in play here instead of bad hardware?

UPDATE #2: My other stock 9850 machine does the same thing. First loop gives a different result than the rest. Did 100 loops on that machine too.

UPDATE #3: Same thing if I overvolt to 1.4125V and clock down to 1.5GHz.
    Last edited by Particle; 09-29-2008 at 02:55 PM.

Rule 1A:

Rule 2:

Rule 2A:

Rule 3:

Xtreme Cruncher
    Particle to avoid the possible confusion about what results to expect,just turn on the error detection and wait for the loops to finish.If it says there were no errors found it means the results are as expected .

What confusion? That's how I ran it. Look at the screenshot--it shows that I failed.

Rule 1A:

Rule 2:

Rule 2A:

Rule 3:

Xtreme Member
    Mine said stable at 3ghz, but I only used 2.5gb of ram, didnt take a screenie, I will try again, I got to crank a little more anywase.....
    ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
    AMD Phenom II 1090T Megahalems Rev. B 4ghz
    2x4gb G.Skill Ripjaws
    XFX 6950 (6970 clocks/shaders)
    2x250gb WD SATA
    1x1tb WD SATA
    750 watt PCP&C Quad Silencer
    X-Fi Titanium
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Us sorry Particle,didn't see your SS.My bad.

Dunno what's wrong with your system,maybe an application bug when it runs on a Phenom ? (intentionally bugged of course :P )

The fact that both of my 9850 systems at stock produce the same behavior makes me suspect a program bug. AMD support is new and all, ya know.

Rule 1A:

Rule 2:

Rule 2A:

Rule 3:

Xtreme Cruncher
    sweet this prog owns both my cpu and ram haha!!
    Used 95% out of 8GB of memory!

Update: I'm getting mixed results

System Phenom @ 3.3Ghz NB @ 2.4Ghz
    64Mb----Failed (1/5) first one off
    128Mb---Failed (1/5) first one off
    256Mb---Failed (1/5) first one off
    512Mb---Failed (1/5) first one off
    1024Mb--Failed (1/5) first one off
    2000Mb--Passed (5/5)
    Last edited by Jaivan; 09-29-2008 at 07:08 PM.

Hmm. Maybe if I allocate more memory to it...

Rule 1A:

Rule 2:

Rule 2A:

Rule 3:

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    Want to say something to AgentGOD:
    Looks like the error-checking algorithm needs some work... I think it's 9/10 tests passed not 1/10 .

The first result isn't necessarily the correct one.

Regarding the program's aesthetics, I would suggest the standard Gray/Black DOS-esque design... Red over white doesn't look very appealing and isn't easy on the eyes.
    Last edited by Loser777; 09-29-2008 at 08:40 PM.
    1.7%

Xtreme Addict
    whoo that one makes me scared have to test..
    1. ASUS Sabertooth 990fx | FX 8320 || 2. DFI DK 790FXB-M3H5 | X4 810
    8GB Samsung 30nm DDR3-2000 9-10-10-28 || 4GB PSC DDR3-1333 6-7-6-21
    Corsair TX750W | Sapphire 6970 2GB || BeQuiet PurePower 450w | HD 4850
    EK Supreme | AC aquagratix | Laing Pro | MoRa 2 || Aircooled

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Oese View Post
    whoo that one makes me scared have to test..
    Me too! I'll have to try it myself... Four Core Prime is a good stress test, but I really don't like to pound my hardware for hours on end to find stability!

Personally I only look for 30 minutes Prime stable and then just go to daily use to make sure it works.

If something can let me know faster without stressing my hardware to the brink I would have to think that's a better option.... That is of course if it's reliable... Particle seemed to have had some problems even at stock so I'm not sure it's quite there for Phenoms yet. (Sorry AgentGod )

The premise sounds really GREAT, but it's not something I would start and then go to bed.....
    AMD FX-8350 (1237 PGN) | Asus Crosshair V Formula (bios 1703) | G.Skill 2133 CL9 @ 2230 9-11-10 | Sapphire HD 6870 | Samsung 830 128Gb SSD / 2 WD 1Tb Black SATA3 storage | Corsair TX750 PSU
    Watercooled ST 120.3 & TC 120.1 / MCP35X XSPC Top / Apogee HD Block | WIN7 64 Bit HP | Corsair 800D Obsidian Case

First Computer: Commodore Vic 20 (circa 1981).

Xtreme Addict
    I get the same error as the other people here.. First test is off...

1. ASUS Sabertooth 990fx | FX 8320 || 2. DFI DK 790FXB-M3H5 | X4 810
    8GB Samsung 30nm DDR3-2000 9-10-10-28 || 4GB PSC DDR3-1333 6-7-6-21
    Corsair TX750W | Sapphire 6970 2GB || BeQuiet PurePower 450w | HD 4850
    EK Supreme | AC aquagratix | Laing Pro | MoRa 2 || Aircooled

I did a 150-pass 2048MB run overnight to test myself at 2.7GHz, 1.35V. It did the same thing. First result was different than the following 149. I'll repeat the experiment with say 4096MB or more tonight if I remember.

Rule 1A:

Rule 2:

Rule 2A:

Rule 3:

D.F.I Pimp Daddy
    Considering that the 9850 BE that I sold you did 9hrs 17 min Prime 95 @2.8ghz @ 1.23750 before I stopped it I would say that its a false reading
    SuperMicro X8SAX
    Xeon 5620
    12GB - Crucial ECC DDR3 1333
    Intel 520 180GB Cherryville
    Areca 1231ML ~ 2~ 250GB Seagate ES.2 ~ Raid 0 ~ 4~ Hitachi 5K3000 2TB ~ Raid 6 ~

Xtreme Cruncher
    It's most definitely some app. bug since Oese replicated the result on his own Phenom.

Xtremely Kool
    I ran it a few times & i cleared & it only failed on OC,s that i knew was not 100% stable.

I had it set to use all free ram of my 8GB.

Xtremely Kool
    How many of You tested at stock everything & still get errors as that what we really have to look at to see if the if the burntest is at fault & also take into account that you can still have faulty hardware at stock, specially ram.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I've never tested Phenom, sorry; so I can't give you official word on Phenom support.

I've only tested on an AM2 K8 (X2 4200+ OC 2.8 GHz), and S939 K8 (Opteron 165, OC 2.91 GHz). Both passed 100% with this version.

Keep in mind, the Linpack binaries were written by Intel(R) themselves. I removed that nasty limit that disallowed it to run on AMD machines.

For now, I suggest throwing out the extraneous value (first value) if you believe that it's a Linpack bug.

#EDIT:
    Hmm, I think I've noticed a trend here. The bug seems to occur with Linpack 64-bit version (according to your screenshots, you were running 64-bit Windows). I've never actually put the 64-bit version to test on any AMD CPU (since I do not have XP X64 installed on any of my PCs at the moment except this Intel Q6600 one).

So, the tests I've conducted on AMD CPUs were only with 32-bit XP. There's still too many variables to conclude whether it's a Phenom-Linpack bug, or it's just a 64-bit Linpack and AMD bug. I know the binaries aren't corrupt since I can run the same patched 64-bit binary on my Q6600 perfectly fine.

Please do help me test guys!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast