Page 47 of 63 FirstFirst ... 374445464748495057 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,175 of 1572

Thread: Nehalem-EP......BLOOMFIELD

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by AuDioFreaK39 View Post
    @ anyone

I have a question about tri-channel memory. Since we all know that Nehalem will allow for 32GB/s of memory bandwidth in tri-channel mode (assuming three sticks of DDR3 1333MHz @ 10.6GB/s each), will it also be possible to run 32GB/s in dual-channel with two sticks of DDR3 2000MHz (16GB/s each)?

The reason I ask is because DDR3 2000MHz sticks are still pricey, and I was wondering if I could get two now and wait for a third down the road.
    The way memory works....

Probably the easiest, though not entirely correct but conceptually relevant, way to view this is like a striped raid array. The concept is that you can improve BW by writing segments of data in parallel (divided into stripes) across the array.

Memory works similarly, if you have one stick filling one channel, each stick gives 64-bit data transfers per transaction, and because it is double data rate, it transfers the information on the rising and falling edge of the clock, so while the physical clock (as an example) of say DDR2-800 is 400 MHz, the transaction rate is effectively 800 MHz (2x the frequency for rising and falling transfers). So at 800 Mhz, 64-bit gives you 800x64/8 = 6400 MB/sec or 6.4 GB/sec.

Now add two sticks, and "stripe" them such that data can now be transfered to both sticks concurrently (again, this is not quite correct, but conceptually ok) ... effectively, the bus width is now 128-bit so the data rate is for DDR2-800 would be 800x128/8 = 12800 MB/sec or 12.8 GB/sec (this is of course theoretical).

DDR3-1333 in single, dual and triple channel modes:
    single = 1333x64/8 = 10.6 GB/sec
    dual = 1333x128/8 = 21.2 GB/sec
    triple = 1333x192/8 = 32 GB/sec

DDR3-2000 in single, dual, and triple would be:
    single = 2000x64/8 = 16.0 GB/sec
    dual = 2000 x 128/8 = 32 GB/sec
    tripple = 2000x192/8 = 48 GB/sec

Lengthy, verbose explanation, but yeah .... dual channel would yield a theoretical memory data bandwidth of 32 GB/sec.

Will this be optimum? Who knows, theoretical BW is not the same as actual BW ... it depends on the quality of the memory, memory controller, and there is some BW taken up if you turn on ECC protection for the extra error correction bits.

There will be loads of information available when the products actually find their way into the hands of reviewers and enthusiast ... I can't wait! It will be interesting.

Jack
    One hundred years from now It won't matter
    What kind of car I drove What kind of house I lived in
    How much money I had in the bank Nor what my cloths looked like.... But The world may be a little better Because, I was important In the life of a child.
    -- from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by JumpingJack View Post
    The way memory works....

Probably the easiest, though not entirely correct but conceptually relevant, way to view this is like a striped raid array. The concept is that you can improve BW by writing segments of data in parallel (divided into stripes) across the array.

Memory works similarly, if you have one stick filling one channel, each stick gives 64-bit data transfers per transaction, and because it is double data rate, it transfers the information on the rising and falling edge of the clock, so while the physical clock (as an example) of say DDR2-800 is 400 MHz, the transaction rate is effectively 800 MHz (2x the frequency for rising and falling transfers). So at 800 Mhz, 64-bit gives you 800x64/8 = 6400 MB/sec or 6.4 GB/sec.

Now add two sticks, and "stripe" them such that data can now be transfered to both sticks concurrently (again, this is not quite correct, but conceptually ok) ... effectively, the bus width is now 128-bit so the data rate is for DDR2-800 would be 800x128/8 = 12800 MB/sec or 12.8 GB/sec (this is of course theoretical).

DDR3-1333 in single, dual and triple channel modes:
    single = 1333x64/8 = 10.6 GB/sec
    dual = 1333x128/8 = 21.2 GB/sec
    triple = 1333x192/8 = 32 GB/sec

DDR3-2000 in single, dual, and triple would be:
    single = 2000x64/8 = 16.0 GB/sec
    dual = 2000 x 128/8 = 32 GB/sec
    tripple = 2000x192/8 = 48 GB/sec

Lengthy, verbose explanation, but yeah .... dual channel would yield a theoretical memory data bandwidth of 32 GB/sec.

Will this be optimum? Who knows, theoretical BW is not the same as actual BW ... it depends on the quality of the memory, memory controller, and there is some BW taken up if you turn on ECC protection for the extra error correction bits.

There will be loads of information available when the products actually find their way into the hands of reviewers and enthusiast ... I can't wait! It will be interesting.

Jack
    But wouldn't have to raise the Timings (higher latency) for two channels of DDR-2000? Wouldn't this negate some of the extra bandwidth (performance wise)?
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnie27 View Post
    But wouldn't have to raise the Timings (higher latency) for two channels of DDR-2000? Wouldn't this negate some of the extra bandwidth (performance wise)?
    The cache and prefetchers makes memory latency almost irrelevant.
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnie27 View Post
    Latency is a temporal feature .... where as clock is quantized.

For example, latency for DDR2-1067 C5 is lower than DDR2-800 C4 ...

4* 1/800 = 5 ns latency

5* 1/1067 = 4.68 ns latency

It depends on the memory,

DDR3-1333 C7 (which is common, though expensive) is 5.25 ns
    DDR3-2000 C9 (which is also common) is 4.5 ns latency

These are per transaction, there are other latencies that bring the total up quite substantially.

Though, Shintai is correct, large caches and good prefetchers hide some of that latency overall, to the point that it is not a huge concern.

Overall, dual channel DDR3-2000 C9 will out perform DDR2-800 C4 latency wise, and C8 will be outstanding ram.

C8 of course will be the uber, uber expensive stuff: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145210
    One hundred years from now It won't matter
    What kind of car I drove What kind of house I lived in
    How much money I had in the bank Nor what my cloths looked like.... But The world may be a little better Because, I was important In the life of a child.
    -- from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft

I am Xtreme
    i think the sweet spot will be DDR3-1600 with CL7. It cheap (4gb is only 180€) and has a better availability than super highend DDR3-2xxx stuff.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
    i think the sweet spot will be DDR3-1600 with CL7. It cheap (4gb is only 180€) and has a better availability than super highend DDR3-2xxx stuff.
    Remember we want 12GB not 4GB
    Friends shouldn't let friends use Windows 7 until Microsoft fixes Windows Explorer (link)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryR, on John Fruehe (JF-AMD) View Post
    Pretty much. Plus, he's here voluntarily.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by STaRGaZeR View Post
    I'm pretty happy with 4-8 Gb myself I just want to get my hands on one of these already.

Eller

Desktop: Q6600 G0 @ 3.6 Ghz | P5E | 2x2 Gb G.Skill PC8000 | GTX 560 Ti | CM690 | TT TP 750 watt | Win 7 Pro x64 | Water Cooling
    Server: i3 530 (Stock) | CM Vortex Low-Profile | Zotac H55-ITX WIFI | 2x2Gb Corsair 1333Mhz | IGP | VX450 | Server 2008 R2 x64

Xtreme Addict
    3 is enough for me for the next c.a. 3 years. 12??? Useless.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by m^2 View Post
    3 is enough for me for the next c.a. 3 years. 12??? Useless.
    Speak for yourself. Even if someone wants them as memory for Vista's superfetch, is justified
    Friends shouldn't let friends use Windows 7 until Microsoft fixes Windows Explorer (link)

I am Xtreme
    well im planing on buying 3 kits anyways :p

plus i need a copy of vista ultimate 64bit, else its a waste.

Xtreme Member
    I am planning the same thing 12Gb of 6 x 2 GB
    In progress......

Xtreme Addict
    So it is optimal to fill 3 slots if going for lvl 1 of performance and then filling all 6 gets lvl 2?

Said differently let's take a physical 6gb target memory.

Are you better off going 3x2gb or 6x1gb on the new mem controller?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I wonder if we'll have 3x2gb kits around launch time.

Xtreme Mentor
    What about 3x4GB kits? If they clock well...

EDIT: wait, there are no 4GB DDR3 sticks out yet, only DDR2
    Last edited by STaRGaZeR; 09-01-2008 at 07:33 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    What about 3x4GB kits? If they clock well...
    I won't object to those kits either but my wallet would.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by JumpingJack View Post
    Latency is a temporal feature .... where as clock is quantized.

For example, latency for DDR2-1067 C5 is lower than DDR2-800 C4 ...

4* 1/800 = 5 ns latency

5* 1/1067 = 4.68 ns latency

It depends on the memory,

DDR3-1333 C7 (which is common, though expensive) is 5.25 ns
    DDR3-2000 C9 (which is also common) is 4.5 ns latency

These are per transaction, there are other latencies that bring the total up quite substantially.

Though, Shintai is correct, large caches and good prefetchers hide some of that latency overall, to the point that it is not a huge concern.

Overall, dual channel DDR3-2000 C9 will out perform DDR2-800 C4 latency wise, and C8 will be outstanding ram.

C8 of course will be the uber, uber expensive stuff: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145210
    Thank both of you guys! So Intel downsized the total amount of Cache/s because IMC meant, no need to hide old generation GTL+ or etc...... But since all of the parts of the core and cache are asynchronous, there will be some kind of latency added back, right? At least that's been the case in the past.

I just hope ubber expensive RAM on Nehalem shows its worth. So that hasn't been the case on the old old system/s. There might be better ones, but here's one that came close to what I saw first hand.

http://www.digit-life.com/articles3/...ddr3-1333.html

DDR3-1333 gives 2% performance gain to the QX9650. However, the QX9770 gains just 1.5% in this case, despite its faster FSB.

The most likely explanation is that in case of 1333 MHz FSB (real clock rate—333 MHz) and DDR3-1333 (real clock rate—667 MHz), the memory indeed operates at 667 MHz (FSBRAM = 1:2). But in case of the 1600 MHz FSB in the QX9770 (real clock rate—400 MHz) and DDR3-1333, the FSBRAM ratio is 2:3, so the real memory clock rate is just 600 MHz (so we actually get DDR3-1200).

In its turn, the QX9650+DDR2-800 combo uses the "awkward" FSBRAM ratio of 5:6, while the QX9770+DDR2-800 combo is operating synchronously—1:1. Thus, DDR3-1333 gets a performance bonus on the 1333 MHz FSB, while DDR2-800 gets it on the 1600 MHz FSB.
    I can't wait to see how Nehalem speeds up all of the out of sync features. Now before a certain person points out the obvious, I know FSB and Nehalem's IMC have almost nothing in common. So skip it! The memory controller still has to talk to RAM the same way, not matter where it is.
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

I am Xtreme
    Naw, I'll stick with 6GB! Now if I were using VT and other stuff, sure 12GB might be cool!

Posted by duploxxx
    Posted by gallag
    qft!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
    So it is optimal to fill 3 slots if going for lvl 1 of performance and then filling all 6 gets lvl 2?

Said differently let's take a physical 6gb target memory.

Are you better off going 3x2gb or 6x1gb on the new mem controller?
    Base on Intel and AMD current platforms because the people that has the x58 board and Nehalem CPU is still under NDA till the 1st or 2nd week of October I think it is the second. if you go for an overclock the less Modules you have the higher the chance of an OC

But if you look at the specification of the Nehalem base CPU
    Nehalem's IMC can handle Single , Double and Triple channel memory maybe they could drop us a bread crumb as to which is optimal.

but by means of optimal what are you pertaining to?
    In progress......

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    I think you guys looking for raw speed( Da benchas) will be better off with 3x1 gig sticks and leave the 3x2 gig sticks to the guys for mainstream use.
    I'm just looking at the cost of 6x1 gig for the dual boards and cringing..
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Banned
    according my own Core i7 testing, is this Nehalem chip is some cases slower then Core 2 ...especially in single-tread aplications. In muti-thread programs is performance gain huge, but in some Games, software ... is Core 2 at the same frequency better ...

Nehalems advantages - great performance in memory demanding aplications (Photoshop, compressing, databases) - integrated memory controller
    - excelently powerfull in multi-thread aplications ... (video encoders, benchmarks) - new prefetcher and improvements of Core
    - great performance scalling with additional CPUs in servers using (like AMD Opterons have) - QPI bus and IMC

disadventages - tragical small L2 cache, slow L3 cache, clear routing to servers then desktop, huge power consuption, +/- same performance in Games, single-thread aplications, in some cases is Nehalem worst then Core 2 at the same frequency.
    Last edited by OBR; 09-01-2008 at 08:36 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Now why would it be that? There are lots of improvements to each individual core as well.. So, fine, the pipeline is two stages longer, but still. And then there's 'Turbo' which should be nice as well.

Would be funny if it was another 'Prescott' though.

Xtreme Member
    wow really? we just need more peeps with Core i7 to give us some more previews. one question, if the NDA is 2nd week of october, when is the release date? like a few weeks after right? which means maybe november?

i don't wanna get a yorkie/p45 after waiting this long lol, and selling off my maximums/q6600
    2600k @ 4.5GHz || P8Z68V || 16GB Vengeance || 5850 || Crucial M4 || TJ-10BW || ST1000 || 2408WFP

Heat

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bowman View Post
    Now why would it be that? There are lots of improvements to each individual core as well.. So, fine, the pipeline is two stages longer, but still. And then there's 'Turbo' which should be nice as well.

Would be funny if it was another 'Prescott' though.
    Answer is a cache ... penryns have big and fast L2 cache, Nehalem have L2 fast, but very small ... thats problem because shared is slow L3 cache ... this is biggest disadvantage of Nehalem Core for common aplications

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by OBR View Post
    Answer is a cache ... penryns have big and fast L2 cache, Nehalem have L2 fast, but very small ... thats problem because shared is slow L3 cache ... this is biggest disadvantage of Nehalem Core for common aplications
    That was expected.

Anyway , with Core 2 like performance in single threaded apps , healthy boost in multithreaded ones and good scaling it will be a monster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heinz Guderian View Post
    There are no desperate situations, there are only desperate people.

Banned
    Nehalem is a monster, performance in some programs are shocking ... but especially in games is Core 2 still great (and mostly better) choice ...

Page 47 of 63 FirstFirst ... 374445464748495057 ... LastLast