Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MCP655 or MCP655-B

Egyptian OverClocker
    i prefer the B version cause u can attach the rpm sensor to ur mobo and use any monitor for it so when the pump dies the system will shutdown without damaging anything
    Soon to be :
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe, Intel SB i7-2600k, G.Skill Rj-X F3-12800CL6D-4GBXH, MSI HD6950 2GB, Corsair 750AX, Intel 80GB G2 SSD, DELL U2410

Used to be: SaFrOuT

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well, my order finally arrived. Its with a friend in another City, but anyways.. He told me my 655-B has the RPM Sensor Wire .

Just wanted to ask, would we be able to control the MCP655-B's RPM through a Software.. Eg. Speedfar or something?

CPU : E8400
    Motherboard : Abit IP-35 Pro
    Memory : GSkill DDR2-800 2GBHZ @ 1:1 445 4-4-4-12
    Graphics Card : Palit HD4870 Dual Sonic
    Display : Dell E228WFP
    Storage & OS : 1TB | Windows 7 64bit
    Sound Card & Speakers/Headphones : X-Fi Platinum (HotRod) > Zero DAC > BeyerDynamic DT990 Pro
    Peripherals : Razer ProType Keyboard | Steelseries Ikari Optical | Razer Goliathus Speed.
    Case : Coolermaster ATCS 840
    PSU : OCZ GamerXtreme 700W

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Ad1tya View Post
    Well, my order finally arrived. Its with a friend in another City, but anyways.. He told me my 655-B has the RPM Sensor Wire .

Just wanted to ask, would we be able to control the MCP655-B's RPM through a Software.. Eg. Speedfar or something?
    No. The RPM wire is just for monitoring. It only reports, it doesn't receive input.

In order to do any sort of speed control on a D5-B model, you'll need to purchase a BigNG or MiniNG.
    MM Extended U2-UFO CYO (Duality front, Standard back, Horizontal Mobo brace) Anodized Black || eVGA X58 || Intel i7 920 || 6 GB Corsair Dominator PC3-12800|| eVGA 295GTX || Asus Xonar Essence STX || VisionTek 650 TV Tuner || 1 300GB WD Velociraptor || 1TB WD's Black Ed. || LG 22X DVD-Writer || Lite-On 20x DVD-Writer || Corsair CMPSU-1000HX PSU

CPU Loop: DDC-2 w/ XSPC Reservoir Top -> Swiftech GTZ -> Thermochill PA120.3 (Push: 3 Scythe S-Flex G)

GPU Loop: DDC-2 w/ XSPC Reservoir Top -> (Koolance VID-NX295 FC block) ->Thermochill PA120.3 (Push: 3 Scythe S-Flex G)

Chipset Loop: DDC-2 w/ XSPC Reservoir Top -> Alphacool Silentstar Dual HD waterblock enclosure -> Bitspower Black Freezer eVGA x58 MOSFET-> Bitspower Black Freezer eVGA x58 NB -> Thermochill PA120.2 (Pull: 2 Scythe S-Flex G)

2 x Dell 2408FPW LCD || Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 || Logitech G9 Mouse || Logitech G15 LCD Keyboard || Logitech Quickcam Ultravision || Sennheiser Headphones

Xtreme X.I.P.
    FYI
    I just did a max flow rate test on my variable and my non-variable version. I'm going to have to retract my preference because of my results:

That was running 5 tests each to drain and time discharging 3 gallons with one barb into my reservoir and about 20" of 7/16" ID tubing.

Max flow rate variable (Setting max, slightly past 5) = 5.44 GPM
    Max flow rate non-variable = 4.94 GPM

That's a 10% diffence on flow, but I should confirm this by testing with some real world loops. If the variable is actually turning the impeller at a higher rpm (which it appears to), pressure head should be higher as well and show similar improvements across the curve.

Going to try a test on the variable at exactly setting 5 and see if it matches my non-variable results, that's the only thing I can think of on the difference because the variable actually goes past 5.
    Last edited by Martinm210; 07-05-2007 at 06:08 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Any luck yet?

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by sssf View Post
    Any luck yet?
    Yes, I found the difference between the two pumps, what you don't find anywhere except in Laing's documentation is this:

The D5 Basic model is stuck at setting 4!

Read the top paragraph of laing's brochure on page 4 here:
    http://www.lainginc.com/pdf/LTI%20D5...-%206pages.pdf

I didn't run a PQ curve for my basic model, but I did run max head tests with my modified tops.

The D5 variable at setting 5 was around 13.8' and the D5 basic was 11 something, which is consistent with Laing's graphs.

What's frustrating is most watercooling websites give specs for 11' of max head pressure which is much lower than what you get from the variable model. I wish they would identify there is a difference because there really is a significant difference.

The D5 Basic = D5 Vario at Setting 4

Xtreme Addict
    so is this pump worth getting then? i can get one for reall pretty cheap and i need to know. i will have: MCRES->D5->PA 120.3->D-TEK FuZion->MCW60-R
    so will this pump be able to handle this just fine and is it loud?
    Last edited by ripken204; 08-30-2007 at 05:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    just start taking pics of peoples kids the parents will come talk to you shortly. if you have a big creepy van it works faster

sometimes they are worth getting sometimes not depends on how you wanna use em i guess. isn't it the faster they pump the more cool down you get to the cpu. also why would you need 6 pumps are you running some sort of server?

i'm looking at it right now and pictures of it being used but i don't see the sensor anywhere is it like connected to something?

Xtreme Addict
    where did i say i needed 6 pumps? o said "one".
    and the faster they run, the better they cool, but the louder they are..
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    just start taking pics of peoples kids the parents will come talk to you shortly. if you have a big creepy van it works faster

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12