Page 20 of 51 FirstFirst ... 101718192021222330 ... LastLast

Thread: Commando Results by Tony and Andre (and others...)

Xtreme Member
    Is it supposed to up the voltage on the NB and FSB Termination when you overclock? I had those two options set on AUTO and when I run 8x400 it ups them to 1.6 and 1.4 respectivly. What's weird also is that it runs my memory at 3-3-3-8, when it is rated at 4-4-4-12 at 800mhz. If I manually change it to the correct timings, it fails to boot. I'm unfamiliar with the sub-timings. If anyone is running this board with Gskill 6400HZ's?

Another weird issue is that it doesn't seem to like a Vcore higher than 1.325. If I set it at 1.35, no boot at 8x400. Set it to 1.325, and it boots and primes fine. Seems like a more finicky board than my DS3 when it comes to overclocking, but it seems like I might be able to coax more out of her.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Supershanks
    think it's the asus site
    Yea a m8 told me after i've got it. i put it up here if u want it. Commando - Asus 0702.rar it's the EZ bios version.

luck
    Thanks Super one other thing, I have no buzzing with shipping bios so would I be pushing my luck to update and is this a must have bios?
    intel i5 2500k
    Asus P8Z68-V
    EVGA GTX470
    Corsair 8GB Vengence
    Corsair HX1000W psu ,
    High Speed Tech Station Top Deck,
    Dell U2410

I had no buzzing before or after I updated to the new BIOS. I am still running stock however.
    Main Rig;
    Asus Rampage II Ex, i7 920DO @ 3.64, 12 Gb Corsair Dominator DDRIII, Corsair H-70, Corsair 1 KW PSU, 2 ea EVGA 580's in SLI driving 3 Samsung 245t's at 5760 X 1200 surround, Boot drive Corsair Vertex II SSD, Programs 2 V- Raptors in RAID 0 and a WD 1 Tb RE3 for files and client data. Sound, ASUS Xonar D2X, Normal optical drives Etc. Win 7 Ult.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Baer
    I had no buzzing before or after I updated to the new BIOS. I am still running stock however.
    Thanks Baer, I will give it a go
    intel i5 2500k
    Asus P8Z68-V
    EVGA GTX470
    Corsair 8GB Vengence
    Corsair HX1000W psu ,
    High Speed Tech Station Top Deck,
    Dell U2410

Xtreme Member
    How would you go about fixing the 40mm fan to the NB part of the heatsync?

I'm interested to know because I would like to do the same thing (as my case is inverted). Pictures appreciated!

Thanks.

Xtreme Member
    i'm pretty sure the buzz is not a psu incompatibility.. bcoz my friend also has a same thing with commando + fortron 700w.
    Intel Core i7 870,
    MSI P55 GD65,
    4x 2048mb DDR3 1600 Corsair Dominator,
    Sapphire 5870,
    Corsair HX850W,
    2x 640GB WD sata II,
    1x 1TB WD Sata III,

-100c Club Member
    0702 here no buzz

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bazx
    0702 here no buzz
    The buzz is not related to a BIOS - it is purely a hardware issue - no connection to the BIOS.

It is also not connected to any specific PSU.

You either get a buzzy board or a silent board - it's the luck of the draw.

For example - I have an 8800GTX and a SeaSonic 650W PSU with a Commando -- I have a buzz. Another forum user has the same components with no buzz.

Also, the BIOS won't change it because it has to do with the capacitors and either a shoddy solder or something, nothing a piece of code will fix (short of turning that capacitor off! -- not that it could be done, or would be wanted) lol.

Anyways, be happy you have a silent one, and for those that don't I'd recommend swapping for a different one. But if you're swapping from a small brick & mortar store odds are you're going to get a board from the same batch as your currently have and it may buzz as well.

Good luck!

I for one, just went back to my good ol P5B Deluxe as I had my hands on the Commando and saw that she didn't offer much to really justify the price difference of $100.

i don't own commando but i have to ask about that buzz, i mean with my 7800gt agp it always makes weird noises and so does my abit board when they are under heavy load but i would say it's more like "screaming" sound if u get what i mean so is this commando buzz something totally different seeing many people talking about it?
    ---Under construction---

Champion
    I've nailed the buzzing sound, it's from the Vmch regulator's coil. It's not tightened correctly, if you try to move it a little you can find positions in wich it doesn't buzz. By the way, Vmch overvolts, 1.75V set in BIOS is 1.84V in reality ... Vdimm overvolts also, 2.3V set in BIOS is 2.34V on the multimeter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	commando.jpg 
Views:	2881 
Size:	158.5 KB 
ID:	55074  

Great find as far as the point of Buzz.
    I may not know anywhere as much as you guys about overclocking, in fact I am here to learn but I do know electronic assembly and I do know the effects of RoHS mandated lead free soldering. SAC 305 or low SAC (other lead free alloys) must be brought to a eutectic point that is almost 30 degrees C higher. In other words the FR4 laminate, the interlayer electrolytic copper bond, the dielectric Etc is all stressed to the max. In addition lead free solder is far less ductile and the additional tin can cause dendrite growth. What does this mean? Lower quality, less reliability and higher cost. The lead free section of RoHS is poor engineering done by lawyers and politicians.
    I will bet that the ductility issue is adding to this buzz issue. In any case we will be seeing more and more quality and reliability issues under RoHS.
    If you want more information let me know.
    Main Rig;
    Asus Rampage II Ex, i7 920DO @ 3.64, 12 Gb Corsair Dominator DDRIII, Corsair H-70, Corsair 1 KW PSU, 2 ea EVGA 580's in SLI driving 3 Samsung 245t's at 5760 X 1200 surround, Boot drive Corsair Vertex II SSD, Programs 2 V- Raptors in RAID 0 and a WD 1 Tb RE3 for files and client data. Sound, ASUS Xonar D2X, Normal optical drives Etc. Win 7 Ult.

My board doesnt buzz either.My friend is putting in his board as we speak so I will let you know if his buzzes or not.I ordered themn at the same time so it will be interesting to find out what his sounds like.

Champion
    The Vdimm coil might also buzz as it's identical so it has the same chance of not being correctly tightened/glued. It's the one between the SB and the DIMM slots.

Xtreme Member

I got my board last night. It took a couple hours to setup but it looks promising. I didnt really have time to find the max boot and max fsb yet.

Asus Commando 6600 week 28B @4.2 1.475v(1.475 in bios) 525x8 4-4-3-4 1150mhz 2.3v
    2x1gb Patriot Pc-8000 Xbl | X1600 Pro | 2 Wd 36gb Raptors
    Seagate 750gb | Vapoli V2000B SS | Pc p&c Black Silencer 750

Quote Originally Posted by chron
    Its DDR2 - doesn't it need to be ran with 2 sticks at a time?

Xtreme Member
    Nice one Mr Deeds, you don't hang about I see

Regarding the coil buzz; I never tried it myself, but I remember reading once that someone stopped coil buzz on one of their boards by coating the coil that was buzzing with clear nail polish to dampen the vibrations.
    Q6600 G0 L720B058 @ 3.8GHz | Asus Maximus Formula (Rampage 0403 Modded) | 4x2Gb GSkill PC8000 PQ @ 1015MHz | XFX 9800GX2 XXX @ 680/2080 | 2 x WD Raptors RAID0 | 1 x WD5000KS | Samsung S203B DVDR/W | Samsung SM245B + Panasonic TX37LZD80
    D-Tek Fuzion | PA120.3 + Shroud + Nexus Fans | MCW30 | Laing DDC w/ Petra's DDCT-01s Top Combo | Tygon 1/2" Tubing | T-Line

Quote Originally Posted by HermS
    Nice one Mr Deeds, you don't hang about I see

Regarding the coil buzz; I never tried it myself, but I remember reading once that someone stopped coil buzz on one of their boards by coating the coil that was buzzing with clear nail polish to dampen the vibrations.
    Actually that should work. It would stop the vibration which is probibally some harmonic of what the core of the coil sees from the coil itself. Also clear c-7 epoxy should work. Epoxy and acrillic are the basis for solder masks and have good dielectric properties.
    Just be sure to use clear, anything with a red or pink tint may use some iron as part of the pigment and blues could have cobalt.
    Main Rig;

Guys,

What are the advantages of commando over Abit AB9 QuadGT? After all, the QuadGT can go all the way to 525fsb rock solid on the 1066 strap whereas the commando changes over to 1333 strap anything over 400fsb.

Thanks.

James.

I used to use Gaco western liquid neoprene to silence transformers and inductors. Found it in a quart can in a local boating repair store. Drips on and dries hard.

http://www.gacoretail.com/gacoboat/form.htm

liquid silicon is second best, if a bit messy

I'm thinking of buying the commando or the Abit QuadGT,

the problem is, I have a PCI-E x1 tv-tuner, the commando doesn't seem to have a regular PCI-E x1 slot.

I see the PCI-E x1 slot for the audio riser card but it looks to be "turned" 180 degrees, or not?

Do you know if it's possible to use the second full size PCI-E slot is a PCI-E x1 slot?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The connector that resembles PCI-e x1 is in fact for the onboard sound only.
    You can use the PCI-e x16 without any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandrus
    The connector that resembles PCI-e x1 is in fact for the onboard sound only.
    You can use the PCI-e x16 without any issues.
    thank you

Quote Originally Posted by wazoo99
    I used to use Gaco western liquid neoprene to silence transformers and inductors. Found it in a quart can in a local boating repair store. Drips on and dries hard.

http://www.gacoretail.com/gacoboat/form.htm

liquid silicon is second best, if a bit messy
    That should work fine. The flash point is lower but well above anything that the material should see and the flexability will allow for great vibration dampening.

I am still not getting and buzz with my Commando but I have not done much OCing yet.

Can one of you send me some basic settings in the bIOS to start with? I would like to boost my QX6700 up to about 3.2. Is that reasonable in air and where would I start.
    Even with 50 years experience in electronics (yup vacuum tubes ) I know little about the settings to OC. In that area I am a noob. If this is not the correct place to ask this please let me know as I realize that most of you are well beyond what I am doing.
    Main Rig;

Commando and Corsair XMS 6400 4x1GB sticks

Hello, i just got a Commando because my P5B-D bios got screwd when i flasher it with the crappy ASUS win32 flasher! anyways i RMA that one and i got thie Commando!

Now this Commando will not work properly with my 4x1gb Corsair XMS 6400 ram.
    That ram worked flawlessly in the P5B-D ! so whats the deal? Asus is really getting crappy lately.

Anyone can help me out here? and yes ive updated the bios to latest one.

Commando and Corsair XMS 4gb

actually guys i found out the problem. Ram voltage automatically is probably too low?

Because i set the Memory voltage to 2.0V in the bios manually, and now all 4gb is rock solid. no more boot freezes!

Hmm i guess the only thing to do is wait for a new bios to address these ram voltage issues.

Anyone got some Bios settings for us for good OC'ing on an E6300ES or E6600?
    Heres my specs:
    Asus Commando
    2gb Cell Shock C5 1000mhz
    E6300 E6600 E6300ES(WHEN IT GETS HERE NEXT WEEK)
    Tuniq Tower 120
    Hiper Type-R 580W Psu

Thanks to anyone who PM's or leaves some bios settings here

Page 20 of 51 FirstFirst ... 101718192021222330 ... LastLast