Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Waterblocks on i7 - Part 5

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Any chance of testing the Supreme with the nozzle plate removed? I did that for a while on my E8400 but I'd be interested to see how it fares on i7. I'm running a rather restrictive loop at the moment...Supreme + Fuzion GFX 2 + RS360 + MCR220 + PA120.1. Running the Supreme without the accelerator plate seemed to make it more free-flowing than the Sapphire Rev. A it replaced, but any real performance data on how it affects performance on i7 would be awesome

• i7 920 D0 // eVGA X58 SLI // 12GB G.Skill Ripjaws // HD6950 (6970 BIOS)
    • Apogee XT // MCP655 // Thermochill PA120.3 // CM HAF 932
    • OCZ Vertex 3 MI edition // ASUS Xonar DX // Corsair TX850
    • HTC Incredible - Uber Kingdom Revolution ROM

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for all the hardwork fellas this is a great discussion very informative...

I just bought the Enzotech Saphire from Newegg for $34.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835708019

Last edited by Guacamole; 06-23-2009 at 11:46 AM.
    Current:
    Asus P6T-Deluxe
    Core i-7 920 (do) at 4.2Ghz
    6 GB Kingston 2000
    Fatality Titanium X-fi
    Antec Quattro Pro 1000W
    Diamond 5970
    Asus 5870 (reference)
    MM Duality-EK-Thermochill

Xtreme X.I.P.
    wow, that's really an amazing test !
    great job !
    and glad to see that koolance 350ac on the 2nd place
    Uni Hardware:
    http://www.unihw.com

Team China

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by VictorWang View Post
    wow, that's really an amazing test !
    great job !
    and glad to see that koolance 350ac on the 2nd place
    确实很强大吧,但也是水阻最大的,也就是对泵要求最高的, 嘿嘿.
    老王从来不忽悠, lol

what is that in english?

Xtreme Member
    The Enzotech Sapphire is just AMAZING! $35 and it beats the majority of the blocks that cost double. Just amazing
    I like turtles

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post
    老王从来不忽悠, lol

what is that in english?
    'It's really powerful, but also has the most restriction, so the requirements for the pump are higher (laugh).'

(I don't understand the last sentence, maybe he's referring to someone...literally would be "old king from where not suddenly you(female)")
    Current Project: City of Light, (sortof) Updated 3/25 - A New Arrival

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guacamole View Post
    Thanks for all the hardwork fellas this is a great discussion very informative...

I just bought the Enzotech Saphire from Newegg for $34.99

I have to say that the Enzotech is a beautiful looking block and performs great

I'm definitely getting this sweet block

Thanks for the link
    • Case : Silverstone TJ07 Black
    • Sound : Asus Xonar Essence STX
    • Video : Asus GTX 680 4gb w/ Ek Nickel Block
    • Board : ASUS Maximus V Formula Z77
    • CPU : Core i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz
    • CPU Cooler : EK-Supreme HF w/Plexi Top
    • Memory : 16GB Samsung 2133mhz 10-9-10-29
    • PSU: Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050w
    • HDD : Crucial 250gb M4 Raid 0
    • Radiator : Thermochill PA 120.3
    • Reservoir : EK-Multioption Res 250 Rev.2
    • Water Pump : Laing DDC-3.2 w/XSPC Top

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondacity View Post
    老王从来不忽悠, lol

what is that in english?
    "Indeed it is very powerful, but at the same time, also very restrictive hence the most demanding on the pump, hehe.
    Old "Wang" has never bullsh1tted anyone before (or something to that effect)"

I would assume that Old (surname) "Wang" (which is how some chinese people like to address themselves by putting an "Old" before their family surname, kinda like a nick) is the person who made the 1st statement about the restriction and pump requirements.
    Quote Originally Posted by HaCKs View Post
    Thanks for the info crazy asian guy with interesting hair.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinm210 View Post
    There are alot of great testers in these forums and my one wish is for people to quit the bickering and post trolling and start testing and sharing of information.

Water cooling is supposed to be recreational, it's not mandatory, and it's not a perfect science.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by mpower1001 View Post
    I have to say that the Enzotech is a beautiful looking block and performs great

I'm definitely getting this sweet block

Thanks for the link
    I really like the Sapphire Rev. A as well. I just wish they made it a bit easier to mount. With the retention kit for i7 it's actually a lot less bother to mount than on a 775 socket, I found.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HESmelaugh View Post
    I really like the Sapphire Rev. A as well. I just wish they made it a bit easier to mount. With the retention kit for i7 it's actually a lot less bother to mount than on a 775 socket, I found.
    I just noticed the Enzotech i7 mounting kit

They should make it just like the EK supreme

Just make a new bracket like this:

Last edited by mpower1001; 08-13-2009 at 05:59 AM.
    • Case : Silverstone TJ07 Black
    • Sound : Asus Xonar Essence STX
    • Video : Asus GTX 680 4gb w/ Ek Nickel Block
    • Board : ASUS Maximus V Formula Z77
    • CPU : Core i5-3570K @ 4.5 Ghz
    • CPU Cooler : EK-Supreme HF w/Plexi Top
    • Memory : 16GB Samsung 2133mhz 10-9-10-29
    • PSU: Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050w
    • HDD : Crucial 250gb M4 Raid 0
    • Radiator : Thermochill PA 120.3
    • Reservoir : EK-Multioption Res 250 Rev.2
    • Water Pump : Laing DDC-3.2 w/XSPC Top

In an other test (a german test) the Ybris Eclipse has a lower restriction than the HK 3.0, I think it's curious ...

http://www.hardwareluxx.de/community...d.php?t=549569

This is the kind of review I have been looking for. Incredibly done sir.

It poses two problems for me however; I have to either find a review of an unlapped CPU, or start lapping!

Xtreme Member
    Hey @HESmelaugh,

I really appriciate your hard work out there and congratulations. I just wanted ask a few questions about your test and HK CPU waterblocks here. If you can nanswer them, I'll be glad to hear them from you.

1. I do not know what was your ambient temps when you ran this test, can you tell me exactly what it is? I suppose I could not see that in this thread.

2. HK 3.0 LC has approx. 150g weight and HK 3.0 has approx. 400g weight. If I observed your test with right way, HK 3.0 LC is better than HK 3.0. Your test also says that high copper and stainless steel density are not always good enough to cooling our CPU.

3. The most of i7 users using the HK 3.0 because of that it has high price (many people believes that if it has high price, it should be better than other HKs) and high copper and stainless steel density on it. If I am right about my second question here, will they sad about their HK 3.0 LOL?

Thanks,
    Arthur

Note that all: English is not my native language because of that sometimes I cannot express myself clearly. I hopu you understand that here.
    Last edited by Arthur; 08-16-2009 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Update
    Extreme ways I know will part the colors of my sea, perfect color me | Arthur's WC Worklog with Lian Li PC-9

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Hey @HESmelaugh1. I do not know what was your ambient temps when you ran this test, can you tell me exactly what it is? I suppose I could not see that in this thread.
    Remember ambient do not matter as long as you meassure the Delta T which I am 99% sure HES did as there is no way a I7 will run 30c on load unless you live in some very cold place!

2. HK 3.0 LC has approx. 150g weight and HK 3.0 has approx. 400g weight. If I observed your test with right way, HK 3.0 LC is better than HK 3.0. Your test also says that high copper and stainless steel density are not always good enough to cooling our CPU..
    The Copper version of the HK outperforms the LC by 1.3c but the Copper version is 2 - 2.5 times more expensive so you have to decide if you think that difference is worth the price premium!

3. The most of i7 users using the HK 3.0 because of that it has high price (many people believes that if it has high price, it should be better than other HKs) and high copper and stainless steel density on it. If I am right about my second question here, will they sad about their HK 3.0 LOL?
    This is answered in part 2, the copper version is the best of the blocks (A tiny bit better than the standard none copper LT) and its more expensive to produce due to the amount of copper in the block. I personally would buy the LT as it have almost the same performance as the copper and its noticeable cheaper, but if the budget is tight then go for the Enzotech or the HK LT. Hope this helps
    Desktop I5-3570k, 8GB Ram, GTX 560, Silverstone TJ08-E, Crucial M4 128GB, 750W Silver Power, ASUS P8Z77-M
    Laptop ThinkPad W520 2720QM /2 x 4 GB ram / Quadro 1000M / Crucial M4 128GB + 500Gb Hdd / FHD Screen / Intel WiFi Link 6300 AGN WLAN / 9 Cell Battery
    Laptop 2 New Macbook Pro Retina / i7 QuadCore / 650 GT / 16GB Ram / 512 GB SSD
    Server: Athlon II X4 640, ASROCK K10N78, 8GB Ram, LSI MegaRaid 8 port, 64GB Vertex 1, 5 x 1 TB WD Raid6, 3 x 3TB Seagate Raid5

Xtreme Member
    Hey mate,

Thanks for quick replying my questions here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mech0z View Post
    Remember ambient do not matter as long as you meassure the Delta T which I am 99% sure HES did as there is no way a I7 will run 30c on load unless you live in some very cold place!
    I already knew that but I just wanted to be sure about that. Its oke now.
    The Copper version of the HK outperforms the LC by 1.3c but the Copper version is 2 - 2.5 times more expensive so you have to decide if you think that difference is worth the price premium!
    I suppose there is no big deal to end users. Anyone can expect a few different degrees on their block. HK 3.0 LC (LGA 775 and 1366 same price) is selling only from $49.95 on PerformancePCs. Its really good price/performance CPU WC Block for us now.
    This is answered in part 2, the copper version is the best of the blocks (A tiny bit better than the standard none copper LT) and its more expensive to produce due to the amount of copper in the block. I personally would buy the LT as it have almost the same performance as the copper and its noticeable cheaper, but if the budget is tight then go for the Enzotech or the HK LT. Hope this helps
    Sorry mate, I suppose I could not see it in part 2. But its oke now. I'll highly consider to purchase the HK 3.0 LC and HK 3.0 when its time come.

Thanks again,
    Arthur
    Extreme ways I know will part the colors of my sea, perfect color me | Arthur's WC Worklog with Lian Li PC-9

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Moitrux View Post
    In an other test (a german test) the Ybris Eclipse has a lower restriction than the HK 3.0, I think it's curious ...

http://www.hardwareluxx.de/community...d.php?t=549569
    Yes, I saw that too, at the time I did the testing. I discussed this with the author of the linked review as well as the guys at Ybris, but we couldn't find out the cause. I opened, cleaned, reassembled and remounted the Ybris block several times, trying to find out what was going on.

@Arthur:
    The Ambient temps were between 21 and 24 degrees Celsius during all of the test runs. The temperatures shown are the delta-temperatures of all the four core-temperatures averaged out minus the water-temperature. This is the most reproducible temperature measure in a watercooling setup.

As for the other questions, MechOz has answered those already. The Low Cost (LC) HK 3.0 doesn't perform quite as well as the copper version. This has nothing to do with the fact that the copper version has a copper/stainless steel top, but is rather because the internals of the HK 3.0 and HK 3.0 LT are different from the internals of the HK 3.0 LC.

Xtreme Member
    @Arthur:
    The Ambient temps were between 21 and 24 degrees Celsius during all of the test runs. The temperatures shown are the delta-temperatures of all the four core-temperatures averaged out minus the water-temperature. This is the most reproducible temperature measure in a watercooling setup.

As for the other questions, MechOz has answered those already. The Low Cost (LC) HK 3.0 doesn't perform quite as well as the copper version. This has nothing to do with the fact that the copper version has a copper/stainless steel top, but is rather because the internals of the HK 3.0 and HK 3.0 LT are different from the internals of the HK 3.0 LC.
    Thanks alot for your answers too mate. I totally understood your thoughts here.

Cheers,
    Arthur

PS: We want an another test all about WC Radiators from you LOL.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Have a look at this one.

More radiator reviews coming soon(ish).

Xtreme Member
    Have a look at this one.

More radiator reviews coming soon(ish).
    OMG mate, another hard work out there, I checking it out too right away.

Thanks again,
    Arthur

Xtreme Guru
    Take a look in the stickies too. That one that HES linked you is there, along with a few others.
    Project Millertime: The Core I5 build

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

Xtreme Member
    Did anyone ever finish testing with a lapped/unlapped cpu to see if it affects performance of any of the blocks, specially the GTZ?

Never go full retard
    Not finished yet unfortunately.

Xtreme Member
    Looking at your test schedule I'm not surprised at all Nice that someone has the time and interest to do these tests, thanks once again skinnee

Very nice runs there and some interesting info.

I do have one serious question though. Something that, just needs to be answered.

What are you going to do with all those useless blocks now that you've finished up with them?
    I would like to throw out there that, rather than just throwing them away, I myself would be more than willing to make the sacrifice to take one of them off of your hands and put it to work on my blockless i7 rig. I mean, it is better for them to be used than just sit and rust am I right?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    You know, most of these blocks are just sitting around in their packaging. I know it would be very nice of me to give them away, but I'm just not like that. :P

No, seriously: I mainly keep the blocks because I need to reuse many of them at some point. I always keep some for reference (whenever I test a new block, I first retest one of the others to check if I still get the same results) and many blocks are re-used for other testing scenarios or videos.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast