Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warning to all, Double-check your cables from PPC's!!!

Xtreme Addict

Warning to all, Double-check your cables from PPC's!!!

I purchased a SATA power cable from PPC's... it plugs into a Molex on your PSU and provides two SATA power connectors... nicely sleeved and heat-shrinked for $10. Good deal? Not really...

Applying 12V to the 5V lead on a pair of Raptors is a good way to brick them.

Naturally, although PPC's QA sucks arse, they aren't willing to do anything.

So the moral of this story is... don't be a dumb-ass like me and assume that PPC's does QA on their custom cables... test them yourselves.

Sadly for me, their attitude on this makes me want to buy elsewhere whenever possible. This is sad because there are few vendors with the selection of modding supplies that these guys carry. Oh well!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    That is fairly shocking.

how come you can see through the braid? Is it supposed to be black
    Chilled PC UK - Watercooling Parts, Any Custom work undertaken including Laser Cutting (any parts, grills, side panels, brackets etc), Anodising, Powdercoating , Custom Spraying and Airbrushing, Fabrication, Watercooling Installs and more all done to the highest standard.

International shipping no problem, even on Cases!

I am Xtreme
    virtualrain, It also looks like your missing the end cap to cover the wires for the one SATA power connector.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by welshtom View Post
    That is fairly shocking.

how come you can see through the braid? Is it supposed to be black
    Typical of their sleeving. Stretching results in more wire colour showing.
    I make and sleeve all my own leads. Only way to get the right length and be sure it's right.

V-Twin WIP

Q6600 G0
    EVGA680i
    4GB OCZ
    8800GTX
    LC - Dual loops.
    Dual 20.1 monitors.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I honestly hate PPC's... they really do have crappy attitudes
    they are in it just to make money, not satisfy the community like petra and jabtech does
    i5 2500k @ 4.6ghz 1.335v [ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe]
    8gb gskill ripjaws f3-12800cl8-8gbxm
    600gb velociraptor + 1TB black
    MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II + x-fi xtrememusic
    corsair hx-620w + lian li pc201b + dell 2408fpw
    d-tek fuzion1/ddc2 + petra top/thermochill pa120.3

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
    virtualrain, It also looks like your missing the end cap to cover the wires for the one SATA power connector.
    Yeah, I pulled that cap to double-check the wiring wasn't backwards on that end too... of course it was just on the Molex end making for a couple of dead Raptors.

Funny enough, PPC's suggested I RMA the drives with WD since they have 5 year warranties. LOL! Nice way to shirk responsibility.

Honestly, though, I didn't expect them to replace the drives but I thought they might try to compensate me by offering me a discount, free shipping or something on my next order... maybe even replace the bad cable... LOL! What was I thinking!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualrain View Post
    making for a couple of dead Raptors.
    Something inside me died when I read that
    Quote Originally Posted by dengyong View Post
    Started life as a FTW and ended up as a WTF.

Xtreme Cruncher
    knew it, never buying from PPC again after they screwed up shipping on my last order.

Xtreme Cruncher
    i guess this thoughts answers my questions on buying from pcc... looks like I wont.

I can sleeve my own cables =p ... techflex sleeving is like 200ft/55$ in vancouver.

let me know if you need to find a location to get some VR
    Last edited by sergers; 10-15-2007 at 10:44 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedda View Post
    Typical of their sleeving. Stretching results in more wire colour showing.
    I make and sleeve all my own leads. Only way to get the right length and be sure it's right.

Ah right, the braid/sleeving I sell is a lot thicker then, as you cant see wires through it.
    Chilled PC UK - Watercooling Parts, Any Custom work undertaken including Laser Cutting (any parts, grills, side panels, brackets etc), Anodising, Powdercoating , Custom Spraying and Airbrushing, Fabrication, Watercooling Installs and more all done to the highest standard.

International shipping no problem, even on Cases!

Xtreme Member
    Sergers: Where might I be able to get some in Vancouver? I really need some..

VR: Damn, that sucks. Also, where did you get the black SATA cables?

Xtreme Mentor
    Problem is, so few places stock anything like the full ACRyan range of plugs and pins in plain black let alone other colours.
    If you want black fan 3-pin plugs or to make up a 24-pin extension they're the only place I know of.
    Everyone else seems to stock some Mesh-X and that's about it.

Bugger how big a disturbance in the force mass raptor death causes though.

V-Twin WIP

Q6600 G0
    EVGA680i
    4GB OCZ
    8800GTX
    LC - Dual loops.
    Dual 20.1 monitors.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedda View Post
    Problem is, so few places stock anything like the full ACRyan range of plugs and pins in plain black let alone other colours.
    If you want black fan 3-pin plugs or to make up a 24-pin extension they're the only place I know of.
    Everyone else seems to stock some Mesh-X and that's about it.

Bugger how big a disturbance in the force mass raptor death causes though.
    LOL! I was able to buy a couple of replacement Raptors off EBAY for $150. While it sucks that a $10 cable cost me $150, it's one of those lessons.

I agree that PPC's is the only choice for a lot of modding supplies. For example, that's where I also got the black SATA cables. (to answer your question Bbq).

Perhaps NCIX will start to broaden the scope of the modding stuff they carry... Is Linus in the house?

Xtreme Member
    Why is this in liquid cooling?

That sucks man, although it's a lesson to double check stuff - you shouldnt need to

VR, get me the contact and order info for them If you want me to step in and assist.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    VR, get me the contact and order info for them If you want me to step in and assist.
    Sent you a PM. Thanks!

I am Xtreme
    seem's like i should stay away ppc then...
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnee View Post
    No, I think he had a date tonight...

He and his EK Supreme are out for a night on the town!

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by disruptfam View Post
    seem's like i should stay away ppc then...
    Well, it's definitely keep alert with them.
    I've seen references to "his ladies" doing the sleeving which raises mental pictures of border region sweat-shops rather than trained electricians.
    I buy their branded components but avoid the custom stuff. I don't buy if it's needed fast either.

A while back the site featured Hank's personal box. Struck me as the aesthetic equal of a texas oilman's gold-plated caddie convertible complete with longhorn skull on the bonnet.

V-Twin WIP

Q6600 G0
    EVGA680i
    4GB OCZ
    8800GTX
    LC - Dual loops.
    Dual 20.1 monitors.

no sleep, always tired TheGoat Eater's Avatar
    I always sleeve my own cables as I like doing it and that way I get more for my money - best sleeving selection is from the online store cableorganizer.com they have some great stuff - just thought I would share.

VR - sorry to hear that it bricked your raptors , I can only imagine what you did if I think about how badly I would have freaked (and then taken xanax ).

I am Xtreme
    <plays "Taps"...............

That bites about the Raptors.
    fermiNow Dave will see FERMI where ever I go
    Quote Originally Posted by jbartlett323 View Post
    So please return to the "Darkside of the Moon" and check your "Pulse" while you wait for the "Animals" that will be "Obscured By Clouds". And watch me wave as I say "Wish You Were Here" in "A Momentary Lapse of Reason"

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Bbq View Post
    Sergers: Where might I be able to get some in Vancouver? I really need some..
    http://smi-elec.com/shrink_tubing/techflex.htm
    this place sells by the foot and in 10ft quantities, I found this one place in langley. nice selection of colors.

http://www.mil-sted.com/
    this place is Richmond near shell & bridgeport.
    they sell 200ft and 500ft spools in black and I think another color...

http://pacificcabling.com/index.htm
    in delta, they sell 200ft spools in black/white (other colors depending on product).

I was specifically looking for techflex in large quantities for cheap, and these places are distributors of it.

Most electronics shops and car audio shops (not talking about the common big box stores like radioshack and BB) carry somesort braided sleeving.

Xtreme Cruncher
    that sucks, like others said when they offer stuff that other places dont you can only stay away from them for so long.
    XS WCG Rules: #1: don't pull fart_plume's finger #2: Dave aka Movieman, don't give him your phone number if you like your hearing
    XS WCG Note: There are 2 sets of points, WCG and Boinc. WCG = 7x Boinc

Project: Dark Matter (<- link) - Asus Maximus II Formula, Intel X3330 3.4ghz @1.32v under load, corsair ddr2 1066 8gigs, evga gtx260 core 216, pc p&c 750W, EK Supreme HF Nickel, iandh 175 res, Swiftech MCP355, Black Ice GTX G2 240, Lian Li v1200b

silverstone tj07 build log

Xtreme Addict
    My experience with PPC's has been nothing than excellent!

Even though I live in Sweden and order bits and pieces randomly Hank has allways been very helpful and even helped me sourced some odd pieces from other vendors...now how many would do that?
    He has allways answered my emails with a very friendly and helpful tone, and allways with a very short delay.

Now if the service over there should be so bad, wouldn't a customer like myself be one of the first to get a taste of the bad...it aint like I can sue or come and knock on his door..right?

Anyway, Performance PC's is a top notch source for those "hard to find" bits and pieces...that's for sure

I've said my piece!
    GA-H55N-USB3
    i3-550 L008B555 @4.6GHz (1.36v)
    Sapphire HD 5850 @1GHz/1.3GHz (1.25v)
    GSkill ECO 4GB PC3-12800 @1.33GHz 6-6-6-20 1T (1.34v)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    My overall experience with PPC's has been very good. I've bought a few custom Lian-Li cases and bunch of other modding supplies.

But the biggest custom purchase I made from them was a custom sleeved and modulated Zippy 700W PSU. They did an absolute fantastic job with that monster. Hank told me it took almost 4hrs to do and I believe him. I paid the estimated price he had given me even though it took them more than 2x the hours estimated. It has been working like a charm ever since I got it.

I'm sure some lower level skilled person sleeves the $10 or less cables. I hope this is something that doesn't happen again.

Xtreme Member
    Virtual Rain,

I'm sorry that happened to you. By rights they should replace the Raptors.

I have spent a lot of money there in the last month and half so I checked all my cables and the Sata power cable is just like yours. I just waited a week to get back another cable they sent with all the wrong connectors. They sent a T5 with all Sata power connectors instead of female molex.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast