Thread: Is this even possible?

Xtreme Member

Is this even possible?

Hello guys- need help again.

SHORT VERSION
    Any advice for avoiding cyclones using a EK Multioption 250 Advanced Rev 2 in a horizontal position and bleeding? Do you guys know if this is even possible to do for the setup in the final pic?

LONG VERSION: The misadventures of stubbornness, how I got pissed on by my reservoir, HARD

So I've been trying and trying to get my multioption 250 advanced rev 2 working in a horizontal orientation. First try had problems with the return run from GPU 2 to the res.

The problem there was that my 90 degree adapter was causing the Bitspower crystallink to leak. Funny thing (well not really so funny when the coolant was spilling all over the bottom GPU as soon as the pump was started) was that it looked solid.

See?

So I resolved to switch to parallel flow on the next attempt(mostly as a way to get some wiggle room as space is getting tight) and reorient the reservoir in and out plugs.

Second try was a complete disaster, with coolant winding up in my eye from the bottom of the res unscrewing from the tube and pressure being high from a d5. Let me tell you those things spray hard if the restriction is high enough. So my motherboard was soaked (wet really, but between the two gpus so there was no way to gain quick access with some paper towels) but nothing was plugged in so after tilting the case to get move the flood AWAY from the expensive hardware, removing the gpus, going to town with some paper towel, and using a heatgun on low from about 5 feet away (kept it moving and only used for about 15 seconds in all) I sat down to regroup. (Sorry didn't have pics of the setup during the big mishap).

I came up with a T Line and some anticyclone inserts, but the longer insert is supposed to be used on the in port I take it. They were backwards, and it was a frothy brew in there, and LOUD.

Filling the thing is a pest too, I already installed a fillport up top to be used on the normal res placement in my case, and I'm not drilling anymore holes in the case damnit. I'm not liking the idea of running tubing from the current horizontal placement of the res to the top for the handy dandy useless fillport. A small T Line will have to do.

Any advice for avoiding cyclones (have all parts that came with the 250 multioption advanced rev 2) and bleeding with a multioption in a horizontal orientation? Do you guys know if this is even possible for the setup in the final pic?

I am hoping the hardware will still be alive but the way it looks I won't find out soon. And sorry for prattling on with my misadventures, it's been troublling to say the least.

Last edited by jadawgis732; 12-02-2010 at 02:04 AM.
    Jadawgis's Golem

i7 930 4.2Ghz Asus P6T 6Gb Corsair DDR3 1600 GTX 470 SLI 80Gb X25-M G2 1Tb CaviarBlack X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty BFG EX1200W Silverstone Raven RV02BW
    Corsair H50 3x Samsung 2343BWX

Current Build: 800D EK Nickel/Plexi GTX 470 Apogee XT MCP-655 w/ EK X-TOP V.2 EK Multi Advanced 250ml 360 & 240 Rads w/ Gentle Typhoons P6X58D-e X-Fi Titanium Fatality

It's possible:

It's a pain, but it will work. I can't follow your tubing 100% - how are you filling it, and is there tubing or an opening for air to escape when bleeding?
    Last edited by shazza; 11-30-2010 at 02:45 PM. Reason: grammar fix

Xtreme Member
    Ahh that's super helpful Shazza- thanks! There is a hole for air to escape- the T Line, white tubing coming from left side of res as you see it. I am using the same tube for filling.
    Jadawgis's Golem

i7 930 4.2Ghz Asus P6T 6Gb Corsair DDR3 1600 GTX 470 SLI 80Gb X25-M G2 1Tb CaviarBlack X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty BFG EX1200W Silverstone Raven RV02BW

Current Build: 800D EK Nickel/Plexi GTX 470 Apogee XT MCP-655 w/ EK X-TOP V.2 EK Multi Advanced 250ml 360 & 240 Rads w/ Gentle Typhoons P6X58D-e X-Fi Titanium Fatality

Chasing After Diety
    if the res is long enough, and the Bleed hole is the top most hole, and inlet is at the bottom most hole, and not a typical EK hole in the middle, then yes its fully possible:

I had no issues bleeding in this config, because the res was a 480. :P

Also my Res cap looks like this:
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Member
    Shazza- I think we have lift off. I'm just running both loops a little while longer, but all looks okay! By the way how/where did you find such a great pic of exactly what I needed in like seconds?! I bet someone spent as much time setting up the shoot as they did draining and filling for that pic.
    Jadawgis's Golem

Glad you're making progress. ---That pic was from my current "build-in-progress" ---

Xtreme Member
    Wow, will be taking a look shortly. Thanks again, back up and running after being unable to use a REAL computer for the last 48 hours. I'm actually AMAZED the mobo isn't kaput after how much coolant is on it.

Hey by the way, is mixing Primochill Pure ICE (premixed coolant like feser and whatnot) with distilled kosher? I didn't have enough to bleed the res so I substituted in some distilled water...
    Jadawgis's Golem

Set the back end of your case on a book or something until all the air is bled from the system.

Xtreme Member
    That is a picture from one of the Shazza's build logs
    Gaming Setup
    Intel X3440
    Gigabyte H55n USB3
    2x4gb Mushkin 996999
    EVGA GTX 580
    Silverstone Sugo SG-05
    Corsair H60 w/ Push/Pull AP15s
    Seasonic SS-560KM 560w

Quote Originally Posted by voklskier4452 View Post
    That is a picture from one of the Shazza's build logs
    I was commenting on the OP's lower most pic. The fill end appears to be lower than the inlet/outlet as a result of the case feet being taller in the front.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    you're not turning on the computer for the leak test are you?

Xtreme Member
    That is just the angle that the image was taken from (combined with the camera's image processor and lens). But it appears that the spill did cause some damage as having two GPUs causes a bluescreen on boot. Disconnecting power to one of them (doesn't matter which) eliminates the problem. Contacted ASUS for RMA.

By the way, Shazza, how long did it take to get that shot set up?
    Jadawgis's Golem

Xtreme Member
    So here's how it ended up:

Still have to RMA the board now since the spill did cause some damage as having two GPUs causes a bluescreen on boot. Disconnecting power to one of them (doesn't matter which) eliminates the problem. . PITA for sure....but it is running...
    Jadawgis's Golem

Xtreme Enthusiast
    <high horse> you're going to RMA a board because you spilled water on it? </high horse>

there is no damage you could do to it if the computer was off while leak testing, i'm guessing that isn't the case?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    yeah good luck with that....
    repair and shipping costs will probably exceed new board...
    X2k
    The comments above are in no way endorsed by the management, the poster or any sane, rational, intelligent entity. Any complaints or offence arising from said comments can please refer to Avatar <

Xtreme Enthusiast
    drove my car into a lake.. is that covered by the warranty?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    only if you where using the lake to cool the engine....
    X2k
    The comments above are in no way endorsed by the management, the poster or any sane, rational, intelligent entity. Any complaints or offence arising from said comments can please refer to Avatar <

Xtreme Member
    Guess I was wrong again. The problem wasn't with the board, but the X-Fi drivers that were trouble from day one. In fact the guy I bought it off of told me I should do a clean install. I absolutely dread doing that so I found a way around it but it took hours out of my life. Anyway, booted into safe mode, removed the driver for the sound card and tada, triple screen action.... Also removed the T Line in hopes of removing a bit of da bubblay but no go there. Here's a few pics. Also, the reason that I wanted to do the reservoir in that spot can be seen in the pics below, a 12" (should probably go with a 8") UV CCFL is right behind the res lighting it up.

Jadawgis's Golem

Xtreme Cruncher
    I'm planning on doing my first water cool build and was planning on doing the res horizontal also. would it be possible to do like this (below)? shazza, if you have a problem with me stealing you photo pm me and i'll take it down. (I haven't received my parts yet)

XS WCG Rules: #1: don't pull fart_plume's finger #2: Dave aka Movieman, don't give him your phone number if you like your hearing
    XS WCG Note: There are 2 sets of points, WCG and Boinc. WCG = 7x Boinc

Project: Dark Matter (<- link) - Asus Maximus II Formula, Intel X3330 3.4ghz @1.32v under load, corsair ddr2 1066 8gigs, evga gtx260 core 216, pc p&c 750W, EK Supreme HF Nickel, iandh 175 res, Swiftech MCP355, Black Ice GTX G2 240, Lian Li v1200b

silverstone tj07 build log

no worries on the photo use.

It should work as long as you have inlet and outlet, and a place to fill/bleed the res. Again - I will say it can be a bit difficult to bleed the res in this position, but itcan be done.

I'd also suggest testing your configuration before installing in the case.

Xtreme Cruncher
    thanks shazza. I was planning on having my rad at the top of my case so that would automatically drain into the res and I could tip the case on the face to drain everything (putting the res as the lowest point). I guess it will just be a long road ahead of me testing different layouts...once I get all my parts
    XS WCG Rules: #1: don't pull fart_plume's finger #2: Dave aka Movieman, don't give him your phone number if you like your hearing
    XS WCG Note: There are 2 sets of points, WCG and Boinc. WCG = 7x Boinc

Project: Dark Matter (<- link) - Asus Maximus II Formula, Intel X3330 3.4ghz @1.32v under load, corsair ddr2 1066 8gigs, evga gtx260 core 216, pc p&c 750W, EK Supreme HF Nickel, iandh 175 res, Swiftech MCP355, Black Ice GTX G2 240, Lian Li v1200b

silverstone tj07 build log