Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Review] Round 2: Heatkiller 3.0 LT and LC Tested + How To Improve the Heatkillers!

Admin

[Review] Round 2: Heatkiller 3.0 LT and LC Tested + How To Improve the Heatkillers!

Preface
    This is a quick version of my Heatkiller 3.0 LC and LT Testing....it's part two of my Roundup #2 of waterblock testing. I have some cool things in store for testing (including ways to significantly improve the performance of some blocks) and will be testing a lot of blocks. Anyway, I'll cut the boring parts out of the test logs and post up the Heatkiller results in this thread

If you have any questions, check out the full review (link above)...if they're not answered, ask away here

Test Results

First up, finding the best orientation for each block:

Here we can both the LC and LT prefering the Vertical orientation (barbs parallel to the socket latch) and the LT benefiting from having the plastic divider at the inlet removd (not the metal plate! Do not remove that!). Overall, the LT being roughly 1C better than the LC at this pumping power.

Improving the Heatkillers!

In my observation of the blocks, I actually noticed a design flaw. The base, while it sits flush with the internals when you just place one on the other, does not sit flush with the internals once you tighten it down and form the bow. Basically, when you force the base to bend outward at the center, you're causing a gap between the injectors and the base. That means flow 'escapes' over the microchannels. While that lowers restriciton, it's also less efficient thermally. I decided to close up that gap with inexpensive, completely waterproof, removable, and easy-to-use 100% silicone caulk.

It doesn't have to be perfect, but using Q-Tips and silicone caulk, I formed a compresible and resilient 1mm layer on top of the impingement plate. That's what it looked like before I installed it. What's really interesting is what the performance looks like once it's installed! From here on out, I'll call it the "LT+"

I've included performance from three different baselines: 1) the best-as-tested LC config, 2) the best-as-tested LT config, 3) the LT's base with the LC's top (Frankenblock!). The showstopper is just how much performance improved from adding that little bit of silicone, that's the "LT+" on the chart. We took what is largely considered the best block on the market (and the best I've tested so far), and made it better, noticeably better. Flowrate went down, as predicted, but not by much--from 1.77GPM to 1.55GPM (more flow than the Supreme LT at the same pumping power).

Now that we know which orientations are best for each block, let's run the full flowrate spectrum and see how they respond to flowrate.

• Very High Pumping Power: All three MCP355 pumps and the D5 are on at full speed--this has a very similar PQ curve to a pair of RD-30s at 20V.
    • High Pumping Power: Two MCP355s with EK V2 tops are on at full speed. The other two pumps are off.
    • Medium High Pumping Power: A single MCP355 with XSPC V3 top is on at full speed. The other three pumps are off.
    • Medium Pumping Power: The stock D5 is on at full speed and setting 5. The other three pumps are off.
    • Low Pumping Power: A single MCP355 with XSPC V3 top is on at minimum speed (~7.7V, ~2450RPM). The other three pumps are off.
    • Very Low Pumping Power: The stock D5 is on at minimum speed--setting 1. The other three pumps are off.

Note: I do 5 mounts at "Medium High" then take the best config of a block and test the whole flow spectrum (after a TIM curing session) then realign that curve with average of the 3 median mounts to give you the "Adjusted" data.

Many More Graphs
    I've included the core graphs and data here...but there's more in the full review, which is here. Conclusion + thoughts are also in there...I suggest checking it out if you want more info, thanks for reading!

Working on the overall comparison review/charts...it'll be updated with every installment I do

(also almost done with Apogee GTZ and GTZ SE testing)

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
    In my observation of the blocks, I actually noticed a design flaw.
    :O Lies..

German engineering has no word for design flaw..

Great review eric.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post
    :O Lies..

German engineering has no word for design flaw..

Great review eric.

That is pretty interesting that you got over a degree of improvement @ around 1 GPM by filling that void.

Great review.
    Project Millertime: The Core I5 build

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Great review! I have a question though, wouldn't having enough pressure from the mounting cause the CPU IHS to push back against the Heatkiller bow do a similer (if not the same) job at closing the gap with the silicone caulk? I believe with a backplate it is quite safe to apply over the 200N pressure suggested in its mounting instructions. (which I believe was assuming a backplate-less installation)

At what mounting pressure did you mount the HK at? Did a quick word search for "pressure" but turned out at the beginning which you mentioned will "present results from increased mounting pressure". Am I slowly getting blind reading all the nVidia Vs. ATi rubbish as I couldn't find the results anywhere in the full review...

Quote Originally Posted by creidiki View Post
    We are a band of fearless modern-day alchemists who, for fun, run solutions through sophisticated, if overpriced, separator setups, and then complain when we succeed in separating said solution.

Admin
    I tested a few mounts at full tightening, it hurt results a little (~.1C, nothing significant). 200N is what I had all published mounts at (according to the Heatkiller's spec/install sheet).

I really only plan on fully investigating increased mounting pressure in scenarios when there's a clear lack of it (D-Tek 1366's Pro-Mount, for instance).

While I hate the Heatkiller's mounting mechanism, it is fully functional and they have noted what the ideal pressure is.

Xtreme Mentor
    Ok, first, great review as usual. Now some questions:

1 - Does the parallel configuration for the mounting apply to the regular Heatkiller?

2 - Do any of these improvements apply to the all copper Heatkiller?

Thanks
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Utnorris View Post
    Ok, first, great review as usual. Now some questions:

1 - Does the parallel configuration for the mounting apply to the regular Heatkiller?

2 - Do any of these improvements apply to the all copper Heatkiller?

Thanks
    1) Eh? It seems to evenly apply to both that I tested...I'm sure it does to the Copper as well (it's due to the orientation of the bow/microchannels).

2) Yes, I'm sure these improvements apply to the Copper version as well.

Xtreme Mentor
    Thanks, time to fiddle.
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

Never go full retard
    Sealing it up... reminds me of the Fuzion V1 washer mod, only a bit more involved with the silicone.

Excellent work and presentation once again!

Admin
    So I realize there may be some concern with the silicone mod...but as long as you use 100% silicone, you should be okay. It's insanely tough and totally impervious to water.

Avoid products that say "Easy water clean up" or "Acrylic caulk" or anything like that. Look for "100% silicone" on the packaging of the caulk.

Xtreme Addict
    Nice review! Maybe they will release a second edition with a rubber sealed plate, and while there at it make a better mounting system, or at least use real "thumbscrews". Also looks like I could have gotten another ~1C by using my second pump since I have one big loop with dual gpu full cover block, even subtracting the ~.3C or so from additional 18W.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Excellent review there mate, much appreciated!

Unoriginal Macho Energy
    You would be better off with an o-ring around the inlets me thinks... I'm glad other people are starting to think again. I just haven't had the time. And vapor, not only have you sealed the water flow but most definitely you have increase the bow as well, same concept as the Fuzion.
    Last edited by nikhsub1; 10-04-2009 at 11:42 AM.

*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*
    GTZ --> MCW-NBMAX --> EK FC --> PA 120.3 --> PA 160.1 --> 2x DDC Ultras in Series --> Custom Clear Res
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."
    *:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*

Quote Originally Posted by ranker View Post
    Did you just get hit in the head with a heavy object? Because obviously you're failing at reading comprehension.

Admin
    Yeah, it does visually change the bow...it broadens it and probably strengthens the bow as well. The temperatures the LT+ was getting were so sweet to see, that's for sure.

For anybody wanting to do the mod, Q-Tips are your best friend, don't be afraid to use a lot of them as well (they're cheap). They're great for moving the silicone and also have a great straight edge for making a smooth plane (though I didn't do too well on that ).

Vapor,

Firstly, great job! Clearly a lot of work goes into these tests - very impressive work

Looking at the graphs, I am trying to guage what kind of result I should be getting vs. what I am actually getting. So, are the "Core Temperatures Corrected for 22 Deg C Air Intake and Typical Radiator Ability (Pump Heatdump Included)" curves the ones intended to be representative of what my own rig might achieve? Sorry if this is a dumb question

Also, if I said that with my rig (as per my sig: Core i7 D0 at 4.2 GHz, 1.30625v Vcore - shows as 1.280v in Cpu-Z - at 22 Deg C ambient) I get a max core temp of 62 Deg C (measured with Real Temp v3.0 running LinX 0.6.3 and All Mem of ~4.6GB) with the other cores 1 to 2 Deg C lower, would that be considered to be good or not? I realise that your testing is with a C0 at much higher Vcore.

Basically, all I really want to know is if I have a "good mount" as I see from your tests that over 5 mounts it can vary by almost 1 Deg C. I have only done one!

P.S. I am using Shin-Etsu X23-7783D TIM after reading your review
    Main Rig:
    Intel Core i7 920 D0 @ 21 x 200 (4.2GHz) 24x7 / Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 / Seasonic 600W PSU / Sapphire HD 4870 Vapor-X / OCZ Intel i7 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666 / Heatkiller 3.0 Cu mounted vertically, XSPC RX360, XSPC Res Top on Swiftech mpc355 / Coolermaster HAF 932 / Vista Home Premium x64

Xtreme Addict
    That`s a great job Thank you Vapor

Intel Q9650 @500x9MHz/1,3V
    Asus Maximus II Formula @Performance Level=7
    OCZ OCZ2B1200LV4GK 4x2GB @1200MHz/5-5-5-15/1,8V
    OCZ SSD Vertex 3 120Gb
    Seagate RAID0 2x ST1000DM003
    XFX HD7970 3GB @1111MHz
    Thermaltake Xaser VI BWS
    Seasonic Platinum SS-1000XP
    M-Audio Audiophile 192
    LG W2486L
    Liquid Cooling System :
    ThermoChill PA120.3 + Coolgate 4x120
    Swiftech Apogee XT, Swiftech MCW-NBMAX Northbridge
    Watercool HeatKiller GPU-X3 79X0 Ni-Bl + HeatKiller GPU Backplate 79X0
    Laing 12V DDC-1Plus with XSPC Laing DDC Reservoir Top
    3x Scythe S-FLEX "F", 4x Scythe Gentle Typhoon "15", Scythe Kaze Master Ace 5,25''

Apple MacBook Pro 17` Early 2011:
    CPU: Sandy Bridge Intel Core i7 2720QM
    RAM: Crucial 2x4GB DDR3 1333
    SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB SSD
    HDD: ADATA Nobility NH13 1GB White

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by M.Fixit View Post
    Vapor,

Firstly, great job! Clearly a lot of work goes into these tests - very impressive work

Looking at the graphs, I am trying to guage what kind of result I should be getting vs. what I am actually getting. So, are the "Core Temperatures Corrected for 22 Deg C Air Intake and Typical Radiator Ability (Pump Heatdump Included)" curves the ones intended to be representative of what my own rig might achieve? Sorry if this is a dumb question

Also, if I said that with my rig (as per my sig: Core i7 D0 at 4.2 GHz, 1.30625v Vcore - shows as 1.280v in Cpu-Z - at 22 Deg C ambient) I get a max core temp of 62 Deg C (measured with Real Temp v3.0 running LinX 0.6.3 and All Mem of ~4.6GB) with the other cores 1 to 2 Deg C lower, would that be considered to be good or not? I realise that your testing is with a C0 at much higher Vcore.

Basically, all I really want to know is if I have a "good mount" as I see from your tests that over 5 mounts it can vary by almost 1 Deg C. I have only done one!

P.S. I am using Shin-Etsu X23-7783D TIM after reading your review
    Yup, that's the graph for you to use to find optimal pumping power (which you're at, according my testing).

As for temps, every CPU is different, some are VERY different, so I wouldn't try to compare your CPU to mine. Your temps do sound good though, if you want to remount a couple times and see if you're getting roughly the same temps, it might be worth a shot. Overall though, I think your temps are good, if you used sound mounting technique, I wouldn't worry.

Xtreme Mentor
    very interesting "silicone caulk"
    Intel Core i5 6600K + ASRock Z170 OC Formula + Galax HOF 4000 (8GBx2) + Antec 1200W OC Version
    EK SupremeHF + BlackIce GTX360 + Swiftech 655 + XSPC ResTop
    Macbook Pro 15" Late 2011 (i7 2760QM + HD 6770M)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) , Huawei Nexus 6P
    [history system]80286 80386 80486 Cyrix K5 Pentium133 Pentium II Duron1G Athlon1G E2180 E3300 E5300 E7200 E8200 E8400 E8500 E8600 Q9550 QX6800 X3-720BE i7-920 i3-530 i5-750 Semp140@x2 955BE X4-B55 Q6600 i5-2500K i7-2600K X4-B60 X6-1055T FX-8120 i7-4790K

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Those HK blocks are awesome! me want me want !!

I wonder if it is possible to use Bitspower 1/2in. Compression Fittings for 3/4in. OD Tubing with the HKs !

Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
    As for temps, every CPU is different, some are VERY different, so I wouldn't try to compare your CPU to mine.
    Thanks - I appreciate that CPUs do differ, and sometimes widely, but as I only have experience with one CPU and one W/c block your observations / opinions provide valuable insight for me

I expect to change my fans to push/pull at some stage, so I will have a go at doing a few mounts to see what I can achieve. Alternatively I may go straight to the Indigo Xtreme TIM and be done with it
    Main Rig:
    Intel Core i7 920 D0 @ 21 x 200 (4.2GHz) 24x7 / Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 / Seasonic 600W PSU / Sapphire HD 4870 Vapor-X / OCZ Intel i7 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666 / Heatkiller 3.0 Cu mounted vertically, XSPC RX360, XSPC Res Top on Swiftech mpc355 / Coolermaster HAF 932 / Vista Home Premium x64

Quote Originally Posted by Salamndar View Post
    I wonder if it is possible to use Bitspower 1/2in. Compression Fittings for 3/4in. OD Tubing with the HKs !
    I am using 1/2" id / 3/4" od BP compression fittings with 45s on inlet and exhaust on my HK. On their own the compression fittings don't fit .
    Main Rig:

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Could you show us a pic. of your block?

" OK that sounded nasty !!"

Quote Originally Posted by Salamndar View Post
    Could you show us a pic. of your block?

" OK that sounded nasty !!"
    Sorry, I don't have any pics of my rig just yet . However, I am sure a bit of googling will find you some pics of similar installs. I will try to dig out a link of one similar -but in the mean time try this: http://media.photobucket.com/image/h...0/DSC01737.jpg
    Main Rig:

Xtreme Member
    I have a question and it was probably answered but I need it in lamens terms. I have a HK 3.0 LT and I have a reverse atx case( A+ Black Perl) and essentially mounted the block upside down the on motherboard. I hope this makes sense how I explained it. I am wondering if this would have any effect on temps. I can reall see how because it is still mounted vertically on the chip.
    Main Rig:
    Custom A+ Black Pearl
    Seasonic M12 700W
    Asus Rampage Formula Bios 0701
    Q6600@3.7
    4x2gb Patriot Extreme Performance
    2xSapphire 4870 1gb
    2X500gb Mator Raid 0

Watercooling:
    HeatKiller 3.0 LT
    MCW30
    2xMCW60