Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Project: Virgin Suicide - First Time - Lian Li P80

high quality modding :respect

Xtreme Recruit
    A few updates coming here...

This is the plan for the bottom side. 3x anodized black fan grills.
    Either I get the Lian Li wheels to get more distance from the floor or increase the length of the regular feets.

Radiator painted

Fans painted and the left one have a painted frame.
    Looks a lot better so might paint the remaining three fan frames.

Sleeving applied.

When painting this weekend at my parents house I lost the rear ball bearings for two of the Gentle Typhoon fans.
    My dad found one of them but the last one is still missing

Solution, stripped open one of my old Antech fans and yay, they use the same sized ball bearing as the Gentle Typhoons

Hopefully I can show you guys a lot more later this week when last stuff arrive from ChilledPC

Cheers and take care!
    Lian Li PC-P80 Powder Coated Black | i7 920 @ 4.0GHz | EVGA 580 GTX | ASUS Rampage II Extreme | Corsair Dominator 6Gb | Corsair HX850W | Intel X25-M G2 80GB | Samsung SpinPoint F1 1TB | MDPC White Sleeve

Water cooling: Aquastream XT Ultra | XSPC RX360 | Heat Killer CPU Rev. 3.0 LT | EK Water Blocks 580 GTX | EK-FB RE2 NB/SB Nickel | EK Multioption Res 150

^^-Virgin Suicide Project - Liquid cooled Lian Li P80-^^

Xtreme Recruit
    A small update, this arrived yesterday

Intel SSD G2 80Gb Retail package content

The SSD

Also two package of Arctic Cooling RC memory coolers.
    If I paint those white, will I loose a lot of cooling power?

The build is standing still waiting for the final stuff from ChilledPC I ordered 3 weeks ago
    Waterblock for NB/SB, the XSPC tubing, black screws and some other stuff.

Also need to buy some more sleeving from MDPC-X since i ran out, noob thing
    Lian Li PC-P80 Powder Coated Black | i7 920 @ 4.0GHz | EVGA 580 GTX | ASUS Rampage II Extreme | Corsair Dominator 6Gb | Corsair HX850W | Intel X25-M G2 80GB | Samsung SpinPoint F1 1TB | MDPC White Sleeve

Water cooling: Aquastream XT Ultra | XSPC RX360 | Heat Killer CPU Rev. 3.0 LT | EK Water Blocks 580 GTX | EK-FB RE2 NB/SB Nickel | EK Multioption Res 150

Xtreme Member
    Great job on your rivit tutorial! As far as I can tell from your pics you did an excellent job lapping your CPU.

I was going to purchase those Artic Cooling RC memory heatsinks for my ram but decided against it. Regular paint can act as an insulator and may noticeably affect temps. However, having them anodized can minimize the hit.

But painted heatsinks is better than none at all.

If you haven't seen this before, Tremeloes has a system displayed on MDPC with what appears to be these same heatsinks in white.
    http://www.million-dollar-pc.com/sys...c-a01-htpc.htm

Keep up the great work. I'll be looking forward to more.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Now Playing

black freighter: i7 920 | evga classified | mm extended ascension pedestal | 2 x 300gb vraps
    dead men tell no tales build: q9770 | asus striker 2 extreme | 2x4gb ddr3 ocz reaper | 2 x gtx 280 oc2 | 2x 300gb vraps | mm ufo-cyo | pcp&c 1200W

I have the same RAM coolers as you :-)
    Would love to learn how you can remove those *arctic cooling* plastic badges without scratching The back of it.

i've had a serious problem with the glue thats on there :-(

ANYWAY! enough about me xD
    Can't await to see how those ram coolers will turn out :-)
    My mATX Awesome'ness

CPU - Intel i7 930 @ 4.3ghz
    MB - EVGA x58 SLI LE
    GPU - 6950
    Ram - 6GB kingston 3000mhz
    HDD - intel 80gb ssd - 2x2TB + 2x1TB WD drives
    PSU - Corsair HX 1000W
    Case - Lian Li A70FB

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Viking View Post
    Would love to learn how you can remove those *arctic cooling* plastic badges without scratching The back of it.
    Easiest way would be to pop the sucker into some dry ice or liquid nitrogen and then pop it off (while taking appropriate safety precautions, of course, since it will be very cold). Soaking in some solvents might work too, but those might damage the finish or be more dangerous to your health than would be worth it if you could even find them

Xtreme Enthusiast
    nice stuff! that holder came with ssd?

I would like to ask, why Intel X25? I am seriously thinking of getting ssd for my build right now, but didn't get enough information yet. I've heard that oCZ Summit drives perform extremely well.
    Worklog: Project Black Copper
    Lian Li PC-P80 | Thermochill PA140.3 | Noiseblocker fans | mdpc-x stuff

Quote Originally Posted by ecidious View Post
    Easiest way would be to pop the sucker into some dry ice or liquid nitrogen and then pop it off (while taking appropriate safety precautions, of course, since it will be very cold). Soaking in some solvents might work too, but those might damage the finish or be more dangerous to your health than would be worth it if you could even find them

Yeeah... i dont have dry ice or liquid nitrogen available xD So i guess ill have to use paint thinner or something like that =\
    My mATX Awesome'ness

CPU - Intel i7 930 @ 4.3ghz
    MB - EVGA x58 SLI LE
    GPU - 6950
    Ram - 6GB kingston 3000mhz
    HDD - intel 80gb ssd - 2x2TB + 2x1TB WD drives
    PSU - Corsair HX 1000W
    Case - Lian Li A70FB

Xtreme Recruit
    Thanks for your comments guys!

Quote Originally Posted by CptDreadFlint View Post
    Great job on your rivit tutorial! As far as I can tell from your pics you did an excellent job lapping your CPU.

I was going to purchase those Artic Cooling RC memory heatsinks for my ram but decided against it. Regular paint can act as an insulator and may noticeably affect temps. However, having them anodized can minimize the hit.

But painted heatsinks is better than none at all.

If you haven't seen this before, Tremeloes has a system displayed on MDPC with what appears to be these same heatsinks in white.
    http://www.million-dollar-pc.com/sys...c-a01-htpc.htm

Keep up the great work. I'll be looking forward to more.
    I might try paint one of those and test it on one memory slot since I have 4 sets of the coolers. You know if the memory temps are shown per memory slot?

Yea Tremeloes build is the inspiration to painting those white

Quote Originally Posted by The Viking View Post
    I have the same RAM coolers as you :-)

i've had a serious problem with the glue thats on there :-(

ANYWAY! enough about me xD
    Can't await to see how those ram coolers will turn out :-)
    I removed one of the stickers now. Used aceton and a really small screwdriver to pry the sticker off. I wasn't to hard, just do it gently and add some aceton to the edges of the sticker.

The hard work was removing the remains of the glue from the heat sink.

Quote Originally Posted by aka_GK View Post
    nice stuff! that holder came with ssd?

I would like to ask, why Intel X25? I am seriously thinking of getting ssd for my build right now, but didn't get enough information yet. I've heard that oCZ Summit drives perform extremely well.
    Yes, the 2.5" to 3.5" adapter comes with the Retail package. I was going to buy the bulk one but it's really hard to come by in Sweden.

The Intel SSD have the fastest read compared to all others, and since I'm going to use it for the OS I choose read over write speed.

Quote Originally Posted by ecidious View Post
    Hehe, I don't have dry ice unfortunately :P worked nice with aceton tho

Xtreme Recruit

Removing sticker on Arctic Cooling RC

Used Aceton without oil and a small screwdriver to remove the sticker on the Arctic Cooling RC memory coolers.

I added some Aceton to the edges of the sticker and gently prying with the the screwdriver.
    Removing the remaining glue wasn't easy and the Aceton melted through my PCV plastic gloves :P

Probably need to do some sanding to remove all traces of the glue.

Nice job on those ram sinks, Winston.

Can I send my Corsair Dominators to you to fix up Just hate how the stickers have overwhelmed the otherwise nice design.

Xtreme Recruit
    Quote Originally Posted by shazza View Post
    Nice job on those ram sinks, Winston.

Can I send my Corsair Dominators to you to fix up Just hate how the stickers have overwhelmed the otherwise nice design.
    Tnx shazza!
    I agree, wonder what they had in mind when they placed those stickers on there. Don't even think you would be able to read the text when those are on the motherboard.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WinstonSthlm View Post
    Used Aceton without oil and a small screwdriver to remove the sticker on the Arctic Cooling RC memory coolers.

I added some Aceton to the edges of the sticker and gently prying with the the screwdriver.
    Removing the remaining glue wasn't easy and the Aceton melted through my PCV plastic gloves :P

Probably need to do some sanding to remove all traces of the glue.
    Nice job!

How are planning to remove heatsinks from your RAM (Corsairs?)?

Will you please post how you do it? I tried googling but couldn't find a good way to remove RAM sinks without destroying the IC chips, some suggested putting it in the freezer..

Xtreme Recruit
    Quote Originally Posted by hchristian View Post
    Nice job!

How are planning to remove heatsinks from your RAM (Corsairs?)?

Will you please post how you do it? I tried googling but couldn't find a good way to remove RAM sinks without destroying the IC chips, some suggested putting it in the freezer..
    Hi christian,
    I don't think I had any plans on how to remove the Dominator sink lol, didn't know it was hard to remove them

Thought you only had to unscrew the screw on top of the memory sink and slide the top part off?

Will google around and see if I can find any solution, tnx for mentioning this.

Xtreme Member
    Hi christian,
    I don't think I had any plans on how to remove the Dominator sink lol, didn't know it was hard to remove them

Thought you only had to unscrew the screw on top of the memory sink and slide the top part off?

Will google around and see if I can find any solution, tnx for mentioning this.
    I really like the AC Ramsinks but I have this :

And I have no clue how to remove the Ramsinks, it seems like they are glued together to the IC

Hopefully the Corsairs just come off when the it's unscrewed

@hchristian: Be careful, I've seen pictures from someone who tried to remove the heatsinks on his Patriot Viper, too. He destroyed the RAM... .

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by redphil View Post
    @hchristian: Be careful, I've seen pictures from someone who tried to remove the heatsinks on his Patriot Viper, too. He destroyed the RAM... .
    Thanks for the warning

You got a link?

Quote Originally Posted by hchristian View Post
    You got a link?
    Sorry, it was in a forum, but no idea where.

Xtreme Recruit
    I think I'm stuck with my stock Corsair Dominator Heat Sinks.
    Today I searched around for solutions to remove the heat sink but looks like Corsair use some kind of superglue/thermal paste. Have no idea why but if I don't get any info on if it's possible to remove the stock heat sink and how I will not risk damaging the chip

Seen in this picture is something looking like glue between sink and ram chip.
    It looks like the thermal paste doesn't even cover the whole surface of the memory chip.

You can remove the top fins from the head sink but doesn't to loosen the sink from the chip.
    Last edited by WinstonSthlm; 10-05-2009 at 10:10 AM.

Xtreme Member
    I wouldn't risk it, I had this problem with corsair pc8500's, not the dominators, but the casual dimm's, and after long time heating with a hair dryer, than pulling and fumbeling, the chips came with the spreader -_-
    Duality: Q9550 - P5Q Deluxe - 8GB OCZ - HD5850 - 4,64TB WD - HX650 - X-fi - Aquaero 4 - Lian Li V1000b II Plus @Dual loops watercooling

Loop 1 => DDC18w w/ EK X-top V2 - EK Supreme HF - EK FC5850 - PA120.3 - Multires 150
    Loop 2 => DDC18w w/ EK X-top V2 - PA120.1 - MIPS mosfet 1&2 - mips NB - Mips Ramfreezer 4 - MIPS SB - Multires 150

Xtreme Recruit
    I got almost all of my stuff now. Yesterday NB/SB water block, tubing, screws etc arrived

When I opened the package to my surprise I saw that I got the wrong top for the water block

I ordered from ChilledPC and they also did nickel plating of the block to a really nice price. Since they had the the plexi top version as product picture for the acetal one I ordered the wrong one.

Tom said that I could send the top back and he would send a plexi top in exchange, but that would take even longer for me to get this system up. Instead I did an order for a plexi top from EK waterblocks for 14€

Nickel plated NB/SB water block with acetal top.

Looks nice, but why would I want to nickel plate a acetal one lol

Heat sinks removed.

Rampage II Extreme heat sink.
    In the top of the picture the Republic of Gamers QPI DRAM Power card with heat sink.

I'm not going to water cool the mosfet, not at start anyway, so will leave the original heat sink on.
    Since the heat sink is one whole piece I had to cut the heat pipe to the mosfet's

I thought a heat pipe had some kind of liquid inside it.
    Looks like some kind of copper crystals.

I used the Tuniq TX-3 thermal paste for both blocks and I have never had such a problem applying thermal paste. It's thick as *** and applying it was like working with pizza dough on the chips

Wonder if it will look better with the plexi top
    Problem I have now is how to fasten the ROG QPI card.
    Maybe I make some kind of bracket to hold it in place.

I also got the Sythe Bay Rafter 2.5 so I mounted my SSD inside the HDD cage.
    Last edited by WinstonSthlm; 10-07-2009 at 01:19 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    builds coming along nicely!

In the heatsinks is actually a gas, so I hope you were'nt breathing in at the time. . .
    They say the definition of madness is doing the same thing and expecting a different result.
    Howlin' Pelle Almqvist

Project Log Completed: all internal v1000

Nice progress with your blocks. I like the way you're taking your time and the attention to detail in every step.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I can't believe I've just found this project log!

The powder coating looks really nice.

Great stuff so far, keep up the good work matey!
    [Project] : Altair | A Lian-Li PC-P80, dual loop, all internal build. Written as a tutorial for any newcomers

Hardware
    Core i7 920 D0 | 12GB Corsair Dominator 1600MHz CL8 RAM | 2x EVGA GTX 285 SLI | ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 | ASUS Xonar D2X
    2x Intel X-25M SSD | Corsair HX-1000W | Lian-Li PC-P80 | Dell 3008WFP 30"

Watercooling Gear (Dual Loop)
    Koolance 350AT (CPU Loop) | 2x Koolance VID-NX285 (GPU Loop) | 2x Laing DDC 3.2 / XSPC Acrylic top Rev. 3 | 2x EK Multioption 150 Res Ver. 2 | 2x Thermochill PA 120.3 |
    6x Scythe S-Flex 1200 RPM Fans | 7/16" Primochill Pro Green LRT | 7/16" Primochill Pro Blue LRT | B.P. Silver Shiny 1\2" Barbs | Alphacool Ball Valve / B.P. M-M Rotary fill-port / drain | Bitspower Black Freezer AIX58NS NB/SB (GPU Loop)| Black Freezer MOS AMOSII POM Version (GPU Loop)| Bitspower Black Freezer MOS AMOSIII POM Version (GPU Loop)

Xtreme Member
    I might try paint one of those and test it on one memory slot since I have 4 sets of the coolers. You know if the memory temps are shown per memory slot?
    Haven't found a "proper" way to test RAM temps, but I am prone to ghetto rigging. I once stuck thermal sensors and read the temps off an old fan controller. Uncertain as to how accurate this method yields but I reasoned that it couldn't be that far off.

But great progress, Winston! Dig seeing another XS member outfitting the same board as me with success.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Now Playing

black freighter: i7 920 | evga classified | mm extended ascension pedestal | 2 x 300gb vraps
    dead men tell no tales build: q9770 | asus striker 2 extreme | 2x4gb ddr3 ocz reaper | 2 x gtx 280 oc2 | 2x 300gb vraps | mm ufo-cyo | pcp&c 1200W

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast