Thread: The Silenx rant...

The Silenx rant...

Yes unfortunately I was one of you that fell onto their lies...

Bought a Silenx for my TRUE like 2 months ago, I was looking at their specks and at the time I was not aware of how well these fans are seen here in XS.

When I got my TRUE the store only had 120 led silenx and on my usual urge of mounting hardware I did not take the time to search for a good fan and thought WTF, it should be good since they cost what they cost...

It lasted until yesterday night...

It was assembled on the true and stood there locked inside the case and untouched for 2 months... All of a sudden starts making this continuous "CLACK!!CLACK!!CLACK!!" sound! Plastic hitting plastic...

I had been hearing the same very faint sound for some time, but I thought it was one of the antec ones and since it was not continuous I didn't care much tbh as it was not something loud or irritating). But no, it was simply the fan that costed more than all others together... LOL

Replaced it today with a Noideblocker XL2. Not a very awesome fan but they´re reliable and silent (I have already 2 in the front of the case) and it costed 6€ compared to the 25€(!!!!!) the silenx costed (Yes I know, you cant beat me up badly now please ).

NB is MUCH MORE silent than Silenx and here are their related specs.

I say to Silenx YEAH RIGHT!!!!!, u got to be kidding me... LOL

Top the noise the fan made with the broken engine after 2 months and you have yourself a silenx fan, not!

So the simple aim of this post is to state out and loud...

SILENX SUCKS BAD!!!!!!

Xtreme Guru
    yeah that's what people are saying. At first they're ok, move a fair amount of air for the noise level, but after even just a week or two, apparently the barrings start to make a lot of noise (supposedly constantly lubing them up will do the job, but I can't say I've bought a silenX fan myself, was going to until I heard all the crap about them) and then after a few months they completely die

I recommend sticking with either noctua, scythe, delta or silverstone depending on whether you are going for cfm or silence (I personally have a powerful thermaltake 120mm fan that I am actually very happy with, its silent at the lower settings while still moving more air than the p180b's stock fans, and even though its a jet engine at the higher dba settings, it can move air from one end of my p180b to other no problem and the p180b originals have terrible cable routing-though I have done a bit of modding to mine for that reason)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

terrace215 post: IPC decreases, The more I post the more it decreases.
    .....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Xtreme Addict
    I bought one myself a couple of weeks ago just to see what all the fuss was about.

Needless to say i soon discovered it was a piece of crap. The db levels are a complete lie and you cant even take the blades off to paint of lube it up for smoother operation. I ended up throwing it at the wall so that it really did become Silenx.

Scythe S Flex fans are still easily the best fans i have used for noise/cfm ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by Scubar View Post
    ...I ended up throwing it at the wall so that it really did become Silenx.
    LMAO!!!!

Scythe S Flex are harder to come by here in Portugal although there's very few stores that can order them if you want. I think I will upgrade all my fans to S Flex later on, although I find these Noiseblockers to be quite good for the price. Used to be teh hype here in PT, but they then were forgot.

Behave!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    To be honest I am still a yate loon lover. Cheap and silent.

Xtreme Guru
    yup, especially the 5 for $15 deal, can't beat that
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans de Vries View Post

JF-AMD posting: IPC increases!!!!!!! How many times did I tell you!!!

.....}
    until (interrupt by Movieman)

Regards, Hans

Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    yup, especially the 5 for $15 deal, can't beat that
    LOL, you would buy almost 10 with the price I payed for the silenx...

Xtreme Mentor
    I like Yate Loons and those 120mm Apevias you can get at newegg

And as someone said above the Thermaltake Thunderblades are nice, but can be loud.
    Last edited by Zytek_Fan; 12-22-2007 at 01:06 PM.
    "To exist in this vast universe for a speck of time is the great gift of life. Our tiny sliver of time is our gift of life. It is our only life. The universe will go on, indifferent to our brief existence, but while we are here we touch not just part of that vastness, but also the lives around us. Life is the gift each of us has been given. Each life is our own and no one else's. It is precious beyond all counting. It is the greatest value we have. Cherish it for what it truly is."

Xtreme Cruncher
    i had gotten a silenx too right before a few forums started talkin about them and it died within a few months, i sent it back to frozencpu and they replaced it and that ones dead now too i'll be going with some scythe's when i move into my tj07 just gotta figure out what cfm vs stock silverstones
    XS WCG Rules: #1: don't pull fart_plume's finger #2: Dave aka Movieman, don't give him your phone number if you like your hearing
    XS WCG Note: There are 2 sets of points, WCG and Boinc. WCG = 7x Boinc

Project: Dark Matter (<- link) - Asus Maximus II Formula, Intel X3330 3.4ghz @1.32v under load, corsair ddr2 1066 8gigs, evga gtx260 core 216, pc p&c 750W, EK Supreme HF Nickel, iandh 175 res, Swiftech MCP355, Black Ice GTX G2 240, Lian Li v1200b

silverstone tj07 build log

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 64dragon View Post
    i had gotten a silenx too right before a few forums started talkin about them and it died within a few months, i sent it back to frozencpu and they replaced it and that ones dead now too i'll be going with some scythe's when i move into my tj07 just gotta figure out what cfm vs stock silverstones
    If the TJ07 comes with FN121 12cm fans those are better than the silenx but for the 2 92mm at the rear, i'm not sure what you gonna replace those with. scythe fans are slightly more expensive than what i got the sony bearing fan for.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Ar3s View Post
    If the TJ07 comes with FN121 12cm fans those are better than the silenx but for the 2 92mm at the rear, i'm not sure what you gonna replace those with. scythe fans are slightly more expensive than what i got the sony bearing fan for.
    thanks for the info on the part #, the dB of the ones listed that come with the tj07 dont match the FN121 so i figured the stocks were something special. i dont plan on using any 92mm fans cause i dont have any airflow going from front to back...unless i can mount a hdd cage into the 5.25 like AndyM to cool the vid card area
    XS WCG Rules: #1: don't pull fart_plume's finger #2: Dave aka Movieman, don't give him your phone number if you like your hearing
    XS WCG Note: There are 2 sets of points, WCG and Boinc. WCG = 7x Boinc

Project: Dark Matter (<- link) - Asus Maximus II Formula, Intel X3330 3.4ghz @1.32v under load, corsair ddr2 1066 8gigs, evga gtx260 core 216, pc p&c 750W, EK Supreme HF Nickel, iandh 175 res, Swiftech MCP355, Black Ice GTX G2 240, Lian Li v1200b

silverstone tj07 build log

Xtreme Member
    I had the same issue, I thought maybe my fan controller was feeding them too much juice at first but then I read all over the place that everyone is having these issues. I posted this over at diy-street a few weeks back...

If anyone has ever thought about buying a SilenX fan...please rethink it. I bought into the hype about how quiet they were and how much air they could move (stupid me). Lately I've noticed my temps have gone up about 5c system wide and wasn't sure what the cause was. I finally unhooked my system and low and behold all of my SilenX fans were dead, frozen up and leaking some type of oil (I'm guessing the bearing went out). Two of the fans appear to have nearly caught fire and torched my baby! All of the fans had zero dust build up on them and were fairly clean so I see no reason for them to have died so soon...only been in my case for about 9 months. Anyone else have this issue with their fans or is this just a common issue?

Some pictures for your enjoyment:

New on the left, old on the right

New:

Old:
    • Thermaltake Mozart-TX
    • Corsair 620HX
    • Gigabyte 965P-DQ6
    • Intel C2D E6400
    • 2 x 1GB G.Skill PC8000
    • eVGA 7800GT CO 256mb
    • 2 x 320GB Hitachi - RAID0
    • DD TDX - CPU
    • DD Maze4 - GPU
    • DD Laing D5
    • Black Ice 240mm RAD

Xtreme Addict
    I've had 2 SilenX fans... they're utter crap... they push a lot of air but they're not strong enough to push the air through the fins of a cooler..
    The lubrication turns to pure liquid when the motor heats up and drips out of the fan.. the only way to resolve that is to use better lubrication..

The fans work but that's all there is to it... they don't push 74CFM and sure as hell aren't silent.. they just suck...

Lian Li V2000+ Modded
    Intel Core I7 920 @ 3.8Ghz 1.325v Thermaltright Ultra 120 Extreme RT1366
    Asus Rampage Extreme 2
    OCZ 3x2GB DDR3 1600 Platinum
    EVGA GTX460 768MB 850/1700/2100Mhz SLi
    EVGA 8800GT SSC 730/1800/2000Mhz
    Corsair HX850W

-100c Club Member
    here is my take on some FAN world.
    I had chance to play with lot of fans you guys are talking about (silen X just informal testing... but quite a few).
    SilenX is marketing gone too far really with no quality to back up from the reports of failure. However, they must be doing well selling these to people with marketing. I still get people saying something about, asking to put silen X on my phase build for condenser fan and I flat out refuse.
    Panaflo tends to be quite good (M1A, not sure on L1A for 120mm). SanAce is extremely good in noise characteristics considering it's speed and smooth ramping on speed control. Delta is what I would call standard of what you can expect... generally good for what it does. These 3 fans WILL push air through restriction as per their spec.
    Now let's get on to these marketing gimmick ridden fans and suddenly you get the rated CFM at much higher noise level or much lower CFM at rated noise levels. (In case of SilenX... both fits).
    I've had a little fun with Scythe today (2000RPM model) and it was quite joyful. While CFM rating is exxagerated again (It seems to me 65-70cfm fan marketed for 89cfm) the noise level was very low and smooth. Basically Panaflo M1A had 1.8 m/s while scythe had 1.4m/s)
    Panaflo M1A or Sanyo Denki lowered to same 1.4m/s had more noise than scythe did. Definitely good fan to use for those people who go 9-10v on water cooling rig with Panaflo M1A or Sanyo at 8-9v.
    I am looking forward to getting my hand on 3000 RPM one of this model and see if it can match up in noise/air flow department with others.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.vapoli.com/Images/Forum/vapoli.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Single Stage Work Logs

Quote Originally Posted by killermiller View Post
    Those ccb's will die if you look at them wrong.

heatware: jinu117

Xtreme Addict
    Are you talking about the Scythe Kaze...??

Lian Li V2000+ Modded
    Asus Rampage Extreme 2
    Corsair HX850W

-100c Club Member
    Talking about Ultra Kaze I think. 38mm thick one. I wouldn't dare putting 25mm fan in phase unit typically. I have another one I should test out real quick since I do remember that one being quite decent (not quiet but good flow).
    PS) it's the aerocool turbine fan with higher speed RPM. It shows 1.2m/s for having slightly noiselevel between panaflo m1a and scythe. However, due to hubsize being smaller, it should be interpreted around 1.3m/s which is quite respectable considering it is 25mm fan which are not good with static pressure in general).
    One of these days, I should make shroud for this tester to actually get CFM value instead of M/S to ease these testing process.
    Last edited by jinu117; 12-24-2007 at 02:18 AM.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.vapoli.com/Images/Forum/vapoli.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Single Stage Work Logs

Quote Originally Posted by killermiller View Post
    Those ccb's will die if you look at them wrong.

heatware: jinu117

Xtreme Addict
    I'm considering picking one of these up.... so thanks for the info...!

Lian Li V2000+ Modded
    Asus Rampage Extreme 2
    Corsair HX850W