Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Project: Virgin Suicide - First Time - Lian Li P80

Nice Work,

if you struggle getting the screws into the HDD rack see if you can get a thread tap from a hardware store, it should clean the threads out a treat and shouldnt damage your powder coat, you see them using them all the time on the likes of american chopper etc,

as for the fans black would be a nice contrast, it just depends on what white black balance you are going for. another alternative would be to paint them white if you dont like paint them black

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    | Asus Rampage II Extreme | I7 980X @ 4.4Mhz | 6GB Corsair Dominator GT | ATI 5870 Xfire | TJ07 | Corsair Hx850W |

Xtreme Member
    Definitely got my attention, looks great so far.
    Fractal Design Array mITX
    LC Worklog: Project Purple Haze
    LianLi V1000
    LC Worklog: Project Crystal Clear
    LianLi A05
    LC Worklog: Project Simplicity

Xtreme Recruit
    Quote Originally Posted by Laine View Post
    Definitely got my attention, looks great so far.
    Thanks Laine!
    I'm impatiently waiting for updates on the Crystal Clear project

Quote Originally Posted by Defiant83 View Post
    Nice Work,

if you struggle getting the screws into the HDD rack see if you can get a thread tap from a hardware store, it should clean the threads out a treat and shouldnt damage your powder coat, you see them using them all the time on the likes of american chopper etc,

as for the fans black would be a nice contrast, it just depends on what white black balance you are going for. another alternative would be to paint them white if you dont like paint them black
    Thanks Defiant!
    I will look for a M3 thread tap then and correct my mistake

---

Atm I'm struggling with choice of colors for rad, shroud and fan frames. Might look better to keep the radiator and shroud black, and go for small white details like the fans, tubing and sleeving...

I would like to encapsulate the fans inside the shroud with some kind of grill on top. The downside is that the shroud will not help in air push performance if you mount the fans inside it.

The correct mounting is outside, on top of the shroud to get the 20+ mm distance from the rad.

Anyway, need to make a decision before this weekend so I can do the painting.

Sleeving is ongoing, done half my PSU now The sleeving take ages since I'm removing the old black sleeve I did first and wrapping the cables in white electric tape to hinder the cable color to show through the transparency of the white sleeve.

More updates this weekend...
    Lian Li PC-P80 Powder Coated Black | i7 920 @ 4.0GHz | EVGA 580 GTX | ASUS Rampage II Extreme | Corsair Dominator 6Gb | Corsair HX850W | Intel X25-M G2 80GB | Samsung SpinPoint F1 1TB | MDPC White Sleeve

Water cooling: Aquastream XT Ultra | XSPC RX360 | Heat Killer CPU Rev. 3.0 LT | EK Water Blocks 580 GTX | EK-FB RE2 NB/SB Nickel | EK Multioption Res 150

^^-Virgin Suicide Project - Liquid cooled Lian Li P80-^^

Xtreme Enthusiast

MX-3 anyone?

Build is looking awesome great job!
    sigh

Xtreme Recruit
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamaxx View Post
    MX-3 anyone?

Build is looking awesome great job!
    Tnx dreamaxx, appreciate it a lot!

I'm a bit confused about MX-3 tho, something I have missed on the forums?
    Lian Li PC-P80 Powder Coated Black | i7 920 @ 4.0GHz | EVGA 580 GTX | ASUS Rampage II Extreme | Corsair Dominator 6Gb | Corsair HX850W | Intel X25-M G2 80GB | Samsung SpinPoint F1 1TB | MDPC White Sleeve

Water cooling: Aquastream XT Ultra | XSPC RX360 | Heat Killer CPU Rev. 3.0 LT | EK Water Blocks 580 GTX | EK-FB RE2 NB/SB Nickel | EK Multioption Res 150

Xtreme Recruit
    Sleeving is going well but slow

Picture of some tools I use for sleeving.

No white electric tape on this one, as you can see some color of the cable shine through transparency of the sleeve.

My first attempt was the black sleeve seen in this picture
    After some tips I got from reading the sleeving guide the white sleeving turns out a lot better.

This white sleeve have white electric tape around the cable.

A tip to others, choose color wisely so you don't regret your color choice and need to do it all over again lol

Xtreme Cruncher
    Looks good man. Keep it up.
    ~ Little Slice of Heaven ~
    Lian Li PC-A05NB w/ Gentle Typhoons
    Core i7 860 @ 3gHz w/ Thor's Hammer
    eVGA P55 SLI
    8GB RAM
    Gigabyte 7970
    Corsair HX850
    OZC Vertex3 SSD 240GB

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Xtreme Recruit

Removing rivets

Today I have been painting the shroud, radiator and one of the motherboard tray holder. I forgot to send the tray holder together with the other stuff to the powder coat shop

I'm also painting the shroud and radiator black since I'm not happy with the original black color.

Below a quick guide how to remove rivets with an electric drill.

Start drilling on the head of the rivet using a drill that have a diameter just a bit larger than the rivets diameter and smaller than the diameter of the hole.

Most rivets I removed on the Lian Li was 3mm so I used a 3.3mm drill. This one was a tad bit larger so I used a 3.5mm drill.

Keep the drill at low speed applying even pressure keeping the drill centered.

You want to drill down so you separate the head from the rivets pin.

The head is off

After this you can just pop the remaining part of the rivet with a small screwdriver.

Tomorrow I will complete the paint job and start putting some parts of the case together.

Still waiting for some stuff from ChilledPC. It have taken over a week to nickel plate the block. Hope they ship beginning of next week:
    - EK-FB RE2 Rampage II Extreme Block - Nickel Plated
    - A mix of black screws
    - XSPC white tubing since last time I ordered 3 feet instead of 3 meters
    - ChilledPC radiator grill
    - Mix of BP compression fittings and rotary adapters

The Intel SSD G2 80GB is one month away until it will be in stock in Sweden. I could buy the retail version but it's like 40€ more.
    Last edited by WinstonSthlm; 09-19-2009 at 11:03 AM.

Xtreme Recruit
    Quote Originally Posted by HuffPCair View Post
    Looks good man. Keep it up.
    Thanks a lot HuffPCair!

Xtreme Member
    Looks good and thx for the quick guide on drilling the rivets - everyone always says just drill them out but it's a little scary without some visuals. Looking forward to the rest of the build!
    Main PC
    i7 3770k
    Asus P8Z77-Deluxe
    4x4 GB Gskill Sniper
    Sandisk Extreme 240 GB
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    Coolermaster ATCS 840
    MCP35X - Apogee Drive II - MCR320

HTPC
    i7 920
    Gigabyte EX58 UD5
    Sapphire 5670
    3x2 GB OCZ Platinum @ 7-7-7-20
    Corsair HX-650
    Silverstone LC10
    Intel X25-M G2

Xtreme Member
    The sleeving looks very familiar to how I did mine. masking tape with numbers etc Good work, takes a lot longer then you thought huh? I surprised myself on how long it took lol.

[Project] Lateralus
    ------------------
    Intel i7 920 DO @4.2gz /H20
    EVGA Classified 760 /H20
    EVGA GTX275 715/1600 /H20
    6gb Corsair Dominator CL7
    Auzentech X-fi Forte
    Intel X25-M G2 80gb
    WD Black 1TB
    Corsair 1000HX
    Custom Silverstone TJ07

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by WinstonSthlm View Post
    Here are stuff I will use in my loop. Distilled water combined with a silver coil or Petra's Nuke PTH.

If the silver coil is enough I will use that since the nuke is pretty toxic. Anyone of you guys use the silver coil and have good or bad experience from it keeping algae away?
    My first loop I went with the same apotek water and PT's nuke. I ended up with some algae after 6 months, which I wasn't happy with, but at the same time I used only 2 drops of PT's as I have kids.

My loop now (after changing my tubes out to some white XSPC tubes) is still the renat vatten and a silver coil. Been like that for 2 months and the water still looks crystal clear. I'd stick with the coil only and water. I've seen threads where people have mixed the coil and Nuke and gotten some funky stuff.

I'll only be using silver in the future with pure water (no dyes either - why dye when you have colored tubes?).

Can you let me know what your powdercoaters cost and where they are? I was OK with my guy, but he was balck only for 1000sek. I saw Nysso had problems with his guy too. So it would be nice to know what experience you've had as I would like to do a different color in the future and know a price as well.
    They say the definition of madness is doing the same thing and expecting a different result.
    Howlin' Pelle Almqvist

Project Log Completed: all internal v1000

Xtreme Member
    sweet build
    i am going to keep following this one ^^
    proud to be from Belguim ^^

Lightpainting and hardware are my life!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    another nice P80 build, subd
    now please make tutorial how to put rivets back
    Worklog: Project Black Copper
    Lian Li PC-P80 | Thermochill PA140.3 | Noiseblocker fans | mdpc-x stuff

Xtreme Recruit
    Thanks a lot guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage View Post
    The sleeving looks very familiar to how I did mine. masking tape with numbers etc Good work, takes a lot longer then you thought huh? I surprised myself on how long it took lol.
    It really do, sucks a bit that I did the 24 atx in black and now redoing it in white =P The good part was that I got some training on the black sleeve

Quote Originally Posted by LogAn'sRun View Post
    My first loop I went with the same apotek water and PT's nuke. I ended up with some algae after 6 months, which I wasn't happy with, but at the same time I used only 2 drops of PT's as I have kids.

My loop now (after changing my tubes out to some white XSPC tubes) is still the renat vatten and a silver coil. Been like that for 2 months and the water still looks crystal clear. I'd stick with the coil only and water. I've seen threads where people have mixed the coil and Nuke and gotten some funky stuff.

I'll only be using silver in the future with pure water (no dyes either - why dye when you have colored tubes?).

Can you let me know what your powdercoaters cost and where they are? I was OK with my guy, but he was balck only for 1000sek. I saw Nysso had problems with his guy too. So it would be nice to know what experience you've had as I would like to do a different color in the future and know a price as well.
    Tnx, I will use silver coil and distilled then Btw do you put the silver coil in the reservoir?

I used a shop called Calibra, located in Arlanda Stad. Total price was 500 SEK, a really good price. Think part of it was because they where painting black that week so they didn't have to change color when painting my case.

I was also happy with the black color they used, it matched the black anodized Lian Li color really good.

Quote Originally Posted by aka_GK View Post
    another nice P80 build, subd
    now please make tutorial how to put rivets back
    I will put up a quick tutorial when putting the rivets back, one with pictures

---

Today I have been painting my shroud, the grommets for the motherboard plate and a fan.

Had some setbacks tho, the black paint ran out so I still haven't painted the radiator, and I messed up the paintjob on the fan because I thought the paint was dry then i packaged it

The paint job on the shroud turned out really good though
    Last edited by WinstonSthlm; 09-20-2009 at 10:26 AM.

Xtreme Recruit

Lapping CPU

One thing I did two weeks ago was lapping my I7 920 CPU. I followed the tutorial on youtube by tjharlow:

CPU Lapping Guide (Part 1 of 2)

CPU Lapping Guide (Part 2 of 2)

I did it most to learn and see how it's done. If you think sleeving is booring you should not try this. After an hour of "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ,13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 and turn 90 degrees" you start to go mentally insane

Last edited by WinstonSthlm; 09-20-2009 at 10:16 AM.

i used that guide myself!

Your result turned out alot nicer though, and a nice project you've got going here ;-)
    Last edited by The Viking; 09-20-2009 at 01:43 PM.
    My mATX Awesome'ness

CPU - Intel i7 930 @ 4.3ghz
    MB - EVGA x58 SLI LE
    GPU - 6950
    Ram - 6GB kingston 3000mhz
    HDD - intel 80gb ssd - 2x2TB + 2x1TB WD drives
    PSU - Corsair HX 1000W
    Case - Lian Li A70FB

Xtreme Recruit
    Quote Originally Posted by The Viking View Post
    i used that guide myself!

Your result turned alot nicer though, and a nice project you've got going here ;-)
    Thanks mate!
    My cpu have some micro scratches not seen in this picture but the thermal grease will take care of that

Xtreme Recruit

Guide: Putting rivets back

A few posts up I did a rivets removal guide. I promised to do a quick one how to put the rivets back, so here it is

Picture here show two types of rivets that are used on the Lian Li case.
    The one to the left is a regular Dome Head Rivet (round head).
    The one to the right is a Countersunk Head Rivet (flat head).

The rivets used on the Lian Li P80 case are 3mm in diameter and the type are a mix of Dome Head and Countersunk Head Rivets.

The rivet tool used can be found at most hardware stores and they are pretty cheap to buy.

Open the rivet tool to the max and place the long pin of the rivet into the hole of the rivet tool like this.

Some places are hard to get to with the rivet tool. I bought this 8mm length distance to use on those places.
    If you can't find anything like this you could probably use two or three small nuts.

Place the distance on the rivet like this.

Then put the rivet with the distance into the rivet tool.

The distance is only needed if the hole is hard to get to with the rivet tool.

Slide the rivet all the way in and squeeze the rivet tool together until the rivet pin snap.
    If you use the distance you might need to open up the rivet tool after you squeezed it together and do another squeeze

And Here is the result of a Countersunk (flat head) rivet.

Hope this was guide was easy to understand and some help to you guys, cheers!
    Last edited by WinstonSthlm; 09-26-2009 at 04:48 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    really nice guide Winston thank you very much

I got some nice looking black rivets from mdpc-x, hope they will work great.
    Worklog: Project Black Copper
    Lian Li PC-P80 | Thermochill PA140.3 | Noiseblocker fans | mdpc-x stuff

Xtreme Recruit

Painting Fans & Radiator

Today I have been painting my fans again since I wasn't happy with the result of my first painting job. I have also painted the grommets black and the radiator with gray primer.

I found out the reason why my paint looked matte and "orange surface like". The problem occurred because I applied too small amount of paint each time before letting it dry. This time I applied more paint but let the paint dry 30 sec between strokes so it wouldn't drip. The result was a lot better

The original paint on the XSPC radiator was really thin and the black color was kinda grayish and didn't match the black paint of the case.

Original paint is not fully removed, only easy sanded with wet/dry 1200 paper.
    Threads are masked with masking tape rolled as a pins.

Result of gray primer on the XSPC radiator.

Tomorrow I will paint the radiator black, I hope for good weather

My last stuff from ChilledPC have finally been shipped after waiting 2 weeks for nickel plating of the NB/SB water block
    Last edited by WinstonSthlm; 09-26-2009 at 04:54 PM.

Xtreme Recruit
    Quote Originally Posted by aka_GK View Post
    really nice guide Winston thank you very much

I got some nice looking black rivets from mdpc-x, hope they will work great.
    You are welcome mate
    Those black rivets are really nice. Had plans to order a bunch of those.

Would be awesome if MDPC-X also get the Countersunk ones in black since now they only have the Domo Head Rivets.

I might use a small brush and paint on my rivets
    Last edited by WinstonSthlm; 09-26-2009 at 04:52 PM.

Great work! I can only hope my first project starts off half as good as yours! Subscribed!

Xtreme Member
    another P80 an I like it, nice work.

Xtreme Recruit
    Quote Originally Posted by milhouse14 View Post
    Great work! I can only hope my first project starts off half as good as yours! Subscribed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanzy View Post
    another P80 an I like it, nice work.
    Thanks guys!

Most inspiration and knowledge is taken from this forum. I recommend to read as much as you can and learn. The work logs here are a goldmine!
    Second thing is to have patience. If you are not happy with the result you can just redo it, most of the times anyway

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast