Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: EK Discussion and panic

Exclamation EK Discussion and panic

OMG OMG OMG...

First off settle down and take a deep breath.

Let Eddie get a few blocks back from RMA to see the failures, then it would be best for him to diagnose the problems and then give us answers.

It may be poor plating, it may be corrosion, it may be a few trying to causing as much panic as possible.

There are many threads discussing additive, be aware they are heavily moderated to maintain useful information. Any anti-EK signatures or comments will be removed at the moderators discretion, without notice, and you may be removed from this section.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Bump, making sure those concerned read this.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Xtreme Legend
    this is the only sensible way to approach an issue. EK has been around for a long time and deserves a bit more respect. Give them time to look into it and figure out what's going on and how to best address this guys!
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme Member
    I couldn't agree more... and gee this new look is freaking me out! Very glad the anti-vendor stuff has been cleaned up too, good job guys!

I am Intel of Borg. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Borg Homeworld - Blog
    i7 3930k @ 5Ghz AC Kryos Silver - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 4 way SLI 3GB GTX 580-UD @ 1000/2200 - 16GB Corsair GT DDR3-2000 RAM - 4 x GTX 360 rads w/ 24 x CM push-pull fans & shrouds - Aquaero 5 XT controller, 6 PA2 Ultras - 2 Flow meters - 2 x Enermax 1500W PSU - MM Extended Ascension Horizon XL-ATX Case - 2 x Koolance 452x2 Res and 4 x D5 pumps - 3 x 24" Acer H243H Surround LCD

Xtreme Guru
    BTW, latest news post on EK's site regarding nickel plated blocks issue from Eddy:
    Quote Originally Posted by Halt on EK Nickel Plated blocks (11/06/2011)
    Dear EK partner/user,
    As EK is looking for lasting solution for nickel plating issue (concerning corrosion because of silver coils and copper sulphate additive) we decided to halt sales of nickel plated products till solution is found and tested. Our resellers were advised to halt sales too.
    We cannot put users into position, that we replace products and corrosion starts again on new product. Hopefully we will find an answer and tested solution in short while.
    We will update you as soon as we have any news.
    However, If customer insists on buying EK nickel block, we offer a customer full 24 month warranty on material, manufacturing and corrosion.
    Edvard König
    Imho wise enough move. Wish for EK to get soon back on track.

Please contact EK directly if you have specific questions about blocks you already have.

I am Xtreme
    @churchy:
    thanks for posting! And yep, I totally agree, this is a very sensible move. In every way.
    Donate to XS forums
    Quote Originally Posted by jayhall0315 View Post
    If you are really extreme, you never let informed facts or the scientific method hold you back from your journey to the wrong answer.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    And good luck to Eddy for sorting out this mess. Watercooling world is very small, there are very few actors, and EK has been one of the major supporting actors for our hobby for a long long time. I hope he has enough financial backbone to withstand this hit, GPU blocks are the most expensive products around...

24/7 running quiet and nice

I am Xtreme
    Definitely the correct thing to do. Good luck Eddy.

Xtreme Guru
    yeah crazy how everyone has used his stuff for years, and everyone jumps up and down screaming for him to make new waterblocks for every new card or board under the sun, but now everyone is ready to hang him.
    and yes, one of my blocks is affected. just chill out people.
    "Lurking" Since 1977

Jesus Saves, God Backs-Up
    *I come to the news section to ban people, not read complaints.*-[XC]Gomeler
    Don't believe Squish, his hardware does control him!

Xtreme Batrachian
    @ FUGGER:

Thanks for being the voice of reason (is a voice still a voice when it's written down?)

@churchy:

Thanks for quoting EK's latest official statement. Personally I think it's a very reasonable way to deal with the situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by fart_plume View Post
    First loops are like first sex, all hands and thumbs till you figure out what goes where, then it's what ever works best for you.

Chasing After Diety
    There is still no words of im sorry in that post.

Are we ever going to get an apology?

Fugger this is why were mad. Its not just based on why the blocks failed.
    Everyone understands, manufactor messups happen.
    No vendor is immune to this.

But a good vendor will apologize.

They should of said SORRY from the start. Instead they are saying TESTING.. more TESTING.. and even more TESTING.

This is whats aggravating us.

If Eddy is reading this thread, You need to say "IM SORRY".
    This will calm a lot of us down if you do.

Say IM SORRY for the mess this is causing... u dont even need to say the direct reason.
    But we are looking for an apology.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    Any anti-EK signatures or comments will be removed at the moderators discretion, without notice, and you may be removed from this section.
    I Sir applaud to you and the rest of the staff, very much for this extremely sensible move!
    No point in chasing after a windmill all over again when all we should be looking after is the problem solved for any future reference.
    ..:Core i7 870///eVGA P55 Classified///VTX3D Radeon 6970///Asus Xonar D2X///16GB F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL///WD 6400AAKS 640Gb///Samsung F2 EcoGreen 1.5TB///Samsung F4 EcoGreen 2TB///Pioneer DVR 216///Seasonic X-series 850///Corsair Obsidian 800D///Logitech G15 rev.1///Logitech G400@Zowie G-TF Spawn///Philips 240SW:..

..:EK Supreme Acetal///Bitspower Black Freezer EIP55NSC///Magicool Pro III///S-Flex E@7v///Laing DDC-1T w/ EK Plexi top///EK Multioption 150:..

Xtreme Legend
    I had heard that Eddy has not been well for a while now so some of you might bear this in mind, if only when expecting a fast reply. If I were he then I would want to have definitive answers before taking this further.

Good thread Fugger!

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Xtreme Member
    I had a Nickel FC580 that was showing areas which were cause for concern, after only 4 months of using water and no additive at all.

I had lots of emails back and forth to EK support and to be honest, they were helpful. Sure there's a language and cultural barrier - but that's to be expected when dealing with eastern Europe (I'm in the UK myself) - you get used to it, no biggie.

What I can say, is that if you approach them in a calm and civil manner (like most people would appreciate) then they will do the right thing by you. They did the right thing by me. I'll buy EK products in the future on the basis of how it was handled in my case (YMMV).

Am I happy I had to tear the loop down and return the block, no, not really. Did anyone die? No. Was I badly affected, no - I caught it before anything went badly wrong (fortunately). Do I understand why someone who had just lost a lot of expensive gear to the problem would rant a bit, sure. Do I think there could've been a better communication, yes. Could a little perceived humility have saved a lot of frayed tempers, definitely. Although having dealt with a few different countries from that area, even if they are expressing humility, many western Europeans often can't spot it (me included).

I'm sure lessons have been learnt on all sides.

At the end of the day though, they are sorting the problem - by the looks of it on a case-by-case (well, at least reseller by reseller) basis. Fair enough.

Sure, a "sorry for the inconvenience guys" would be nice. When the dust settles and the RMAs have been taken care of (along with a fix to whatever the problem is/was) hopefully we'll get one (hint, hint Eddy!).

Anyway, that was my one post on the subject.

(flame suit on?)

J

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Computurd View Post
    yeah crazy how everyone has used his stuff for years, and everyone jumps up and down screaming for him to make new waterblocks for every new card or board under the sun, but now everyone is ready to hang him.
    and yes, one of my blocks is affected. just chill out people.
    This, 1000x this. Well said.

Banned Movieman...
    Quote Originally Posted by brammers View Post

What I can say, is that if you approach them in a calm and civil manner (like most people would appreciate) then they will do the right thing by you. They did the right thing by me. I'll buy EK products in the future on the basis of how it was handled in my case (YMMV).

J
    here is the problem. you are in the minority...
    Last edited by stangracin3; 06-11-2011 at 07:15 PM.

Engineering The Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by brammers View Post
    This is a very important point, I see so many of these issue threads pop up claiming poor support and ignoring. If your going to contact a company about a problem you MUST do it in a civil and respectful manner. The nicer you are to them the better they will treat you. (works with all companies, not just EK)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    100% agree, EK has been a fantastic company for years. Started using there blocks back in the 1900xt days!
    Lian Dream: i7 2600k @ 4.7Ghz, Asus Maximus IV Gene-z, MSI N680GTX Twin Frozr III, 8GB 2x4GB Mushkin Ridgeback, Crucial M4 128GB x2, Plextor PX-755SA, Seasonic 750 X, Lian-li
    HTPC: E5300@3.8, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, Gigabyte 5750 Silentcell, Mushkin 2GBx2, 2x 500gb Maxtor Raid 1, 300gb Seagate, 74gb Raptor, Seasonic G series 550 Gold, Silverstone LC16m

Laptop: XPS15z Crucial M4
    Nikon D700 ~ Nikkor 17-35 F2.8 ~ Nikkor 50mm F1.8
    Lian Dream Work Log
    my smugmug
    Heatware

Admin
    Thread cleaned. EK threads have deteriorated too quickly and too reliably; people should err on the side of not saying anything at all.

NooB MOD
    Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    There are many threads discussing additive, be aware they are heavily moderated to maintain useful information. Any anti-EK signatures or comments will be removed at the moderators discretion, without notice, and you may be removed from this section.
    Xtreme SUPERCOMPUTER
    Nov 1 - Nov 8 Join Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    Intel is about to get athlon'd
    Athlon64 3700+ KACAE 0605APAW @ 3455MHz 314x11 1.92v/Vapochill || Core 2 Duo E8500 Q807 @ 6060MHz 638x9.5 1.95v LN2 @ -120'c || Athlon64 FX-55 CABCE 0516WPMW @ 3916MHz 261x15 1.802v/LN2 @ -40c || DFI LP UT CFX3200-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 SLI-DR || DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra D || Sapphire X1950XT || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 290MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v || 2x256MB G.Skill TCCD @ 350MHz 3-4-4-8 3.1v || 2x256MB Kingston HyperX BH-5 @ 294MHz 2-2-2-5 3.94v

Xtreme Guru
    Latest update from EK's side:
    Quote Originally Posted by EK RMA upgrade for corrosion (14/06/2011)
    RMA is upgraded on two points:
    1. We are lifting the RMA limit on corrosion to full 24month from the end-user purchase date without limit.
    2. EK will cover all shipping costs of the RMA block to reseller and shipping of the replacement block back to customer.
    The procedure of RMA request stays the same; filling the RMA form.
    Shipping costs covering is nice bit for those located afar.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thats great to hear.. I guess I will go ahead and RMA my blocks now.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    It's great to see EK step up.
    Donate to XS.org

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Franklin
    "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." -Thomas Jefferson

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."-Thomas Paine

what is he reacting to? there has been no more news about this afaik?
    DFI 790FXB M2RSH, AMD PII 940, WIN7 64BIT, 2X VELOCIRAPTOR RAID0, 1TB, 1.5TB, 2TB, AMD 6950, 4GB DDR2 1066 C5, CREATIVE AUDIGY SE, HAUPPAUGE HVR1300, LIAN LI PC-A71F, SAMSUNG 2232BW, SCYTHE "KAZE ACE" + "PANEL 2". SAMSUNG N150.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast