Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cases with 480 radiator compartment?

Hybrid View

Xtreme Member

Cases with 480 radiator compartment?

I want to list all cases with this feature. Ideally it should require no modding, so PSU should be placed vertaically (thus both long radiator 4x120mm + power supply will fit in bottom compartment of the case). Some cases have enough space for radiator (compartment hight) but original psu mount is horizontal.

Mother of all cases with this feature is Silverstone TJ07:

List of all cases with radiator compartment:

1. Silverstone TJ07
    2. Silverstone TJ11 - new, very expensive
    3. Lian Li PC-A10 - discontinued
    4. Lian Li PC-A20 - discontinued
    5. Lian Li PC-V2000 - discontinued (huge space enough for two rads (240mm height)
    6. Lian Li PC-V2010 - discontinued
    7. Lian Li PC-V2110 - discontinued
    8. Aplus/Tagan Black Pearl - discontinued (same interior as lian li pc-v2000)
    9. Antec P190 - discontinued
    10. Fractal Define XL - requires psu mount modification

Any ideas, what other models could be added to that list?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Lian Li has now the PC-V2120 which is the newest V2000 series:
    http://lian-li.com/v2/en/product/pro...5&ss_index=138
    Also i think you can fit a quad in front a PC-A77F ?
    I have also seen 480's fitted on top of PC-A71F.

24/7 running quiet and nice

Xtreme Guru
    They "have been fitted" in many cases. OP asked "should require no modding".

little devil v8, has room for 3 quads out of the box
    My hardware changes to fast and to much to keep a sig up to date. I just gave up on the idea.

Silverstone TJ11!

barfastic
    mountain mods pinnacle 24 with quad top.... no modding at all

Xtreme Member
    Several people didn't read question properly. I know there are cases that can fit radiators on top (no modding, like Lian Li custom tops + they have enough space above motherboard to fit even thick radiator). The point is I was looking for cases that fit radiator placed vertically like in silverstone TJ07.
    For example if you look at V2120:

I'm really not quite sure you can put radiator at the bottom, it seems too short. It doesn't look like you could even mod rear of the case to put psu vertically, you would need to move up that aluminium plate to make enough room (similar situation as in Obsidian cases).
    Sure almost all these cases will still require modding, you need to cut vent holes in side panel for radiator. As for no modding, I meant no major modding to interior of the case. If it involves turning psu mount by 90 degrees, then it is fine, just as long as radiator compartment has enough space for radiator placed vertically.
    Browsing lian li page, there seems to be no such case in their product list anymore, shame.

Anyway, my point is, why I think this type of case interior is superior. If you take generic full tower lian li case, same for multiple models like A70F. You can buy custom top with 3x120 rad holes, you can cut your own even for 4x120. There is enough space above mobo to easily put there big rad. Now the "problem" is how much useless space is left. Psu at the bottom results a ton of wasted space (because there is entire compartment pretty much unused). Ideally case design should be similar to TJ07 where case height is optimal, psu is on same level as radiator(s). Even if you look at Obsidian case, as many people claim it was designed for water cooling, that design is really quite poor if you consider these arguments (space inside of the case is not used optimally).
    Last edited by aerial; 02-14-2011 at 01:05 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by aerial View Post
    I'm really not quite sure you can put radiator at the bottom, it seems too short. It doesn't look like you could even mod rear of the case to put psu vertically, you would need to move up that aluminium plate to make enough room (similar situation as in Obsidian cases).
    Indeed you would have to lay the radiator flat, and move the PSU elsewhere, or just pop off the rivets and throw off the divider. You would have to cut holes in the side panel anyway like on former V2000 series... Not so much a "no-mod" option indeed.
    I mentioned the A77F because it has a complete top-to-bottom front 5.25 rack, i suppose you can fit a quad in front with zero mod, that is as close as it gets.
    Agreed on the lost space, altough in my A71F i use that to fit my pump and tube reservoir, and in the end (with a dual 140mm front rad) it's quite full. So full i'm seriously considering a move to a Mountain Mods UFO + Pedestal.
    MM Pedestal is another "bottom side-mount" solution by the way...

Otherwise there are the cases currently in competition for Phobya, most have dedicated compartments for dual quads or dual multi-140.

Xtreme Guru
    aerial: there IS obsidian mod with your described rad placement (PSU vertical, 4x120 on the side in lower compartment). It needs heavy modding though.

Xtreme Member
    I realise, there are even mods of Lian li towers, A77F, where guy cuts everything, moves motherboard tray to the top of the case, and makes huge compartment at the bottom. But it is basically making new case (new frame), and in the end making it look like initial lian li model, by using original side panels and front.

Xtreme Member
    Did you consider the MM Pedestal 24?
    You can put a radiator (Or two) inside and put it under the case. You can get it painted in whatever you want and place it under any case you want.

CPU: 3960X @ 4.8GHZ
    Motherboard: RIVE
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Z 2133@LC9
    GPUs: Quad-SLI 580 @ 970
    Case: MM Ascension CYO
    PSUs: Corsair AX1200, Enermax 1250

Xtreme Member
    The pedestal portion looks rather ugly. If only you could get it all merged into one, that way you can get a 480 on the front, top and bottom without issues and it doesn't look segmented at all. That is without costing an arm and an leg at the same time.

The case itself is great though, barfastic has a good worklog on one now.

Xtreme Member
    The problem with mountain mods is, that pinnacle cases that fit to it, are gigantic. There is a reason why you want extra radiator compartment - rest of case doesn't have to be oversized. Pinnacle case alone can fit enough rads you will not need pedestal part. How ridiculously tall must be that thing anyway.
    Unless there is MM case that matches pedestal and is really small, with place only for motherboard and 5,25 bays.

I am Xtreme
    The TJ07 is your best bet. I am on my third and 120.4 works very well.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    spotswood, if those are adequate for twin 140x3's (along with the proper side panel holes) i would get one i think. The PSU would fit in one of the bottom compartments ?

Xtreme Member
    Lian-Li P80. Pair of quad rads internally with minimal fuss with plenty of space left over.
    Asus Rampage II Extreme | i7 920 @ 4ghz (1.4v 200 BCLK) | 6 Gig OCZ Reaper 1866mhz | MSI GTX 480 Tri-SLi | Intel X25-M | 5 WD 1TB in RAID0 | Thermaltake 1500watt ToughPower | Samsung SM305T |

EK Supreme | EK Mosfet Blocks | Koolance MB-ASR2E NB/SB Block | DRAM Block for MB-ASR2E | MCP355 | MCP355 | TFC XCHANGER Triple & Quad Radiators | Lian Li P80

A man who appreciates 2560x1600

Quote Originally Posted by ell View Post
    Lian-Li P80. Pair of quad rads internally with minimal fuss with plenty of space left over.
    How do you figure that? ...unless by "minimal fuss" you actually mean "cutting out space for a rad with a Dremel", and by "plenty of space left over" you mean "none"...

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nitromullet View Post
    How do you figure that? ...unless by "minimal fuss" you actually mean "cutting out space for a rad with a Dremel", and by "plenty of space left over" you mean "none"...
    I believe P80 has same issue as all generic lian li full towers, + this one cannot fit radiator on top (because of that extra panel that would cover fans). So if you use 4x120 rad on front, you will lose all 5,25 bays, and the one on bottom will require cutting through the case floor.
    This case has as much space as other lian li that use same frame, with exception of limited top. It really isn't that greatest case for water cooling.

I believe P80 has same issue as all generic lian li full towers, + this one cannot fit radiator on top (because of that extra panel that would cover fans). So if you use 4x120 rad on front, you will lose all 5,25 bays, and the one on bottom will require cutting through the case floor.
    This case has as much space as other lian li that use same frame, with exception of limited top. It really isn't that greatest case for water cooling.
    You and I are thinking along the same lines. Generally, a Lian Li full tower will reasonably accommodate a 4x120 and a 2x120. That was the most that could realistically work out in my Rocketfish Lian Li tower and still have some room for HDs/optical drives, but even that will require some cutting.

The PC-A77F is probably the best Lian Li for watercooling:

You could put a quad up top, a double on the floor in front of the PSU, and another double in the front; and still have a few 5.25 bays available.

Xtreme Member
    @spotwood Damn straight it does.

CPU: I7 980X @4500 EK Supreme HF
    MOBO: ASUS Rampage III EK FB RE3
    RAM: Super Talent DDR3 2133 @1806 7-7-6-17 1T
    Video: GTX580 Tri Sli @ 925/2050 -EK FC580
    Case: Danger Den Custom DoubleWide
    PSU: Silverstone 1500
    SSD: 3x Intel X25M 160 G2 Raid 0
    LCD: Dell 30" 3007
    H20: Dual D5 Pumps, EK SLi Serial, BP Pump Top, BP Pump Cover, Frozen Q Reservoir, Lamptron FC2, 3x Blackice GTX 480's 2x Blackice GTX 360's

Xtreme Member
    If you are decided to use several of 5.25 bays, you could as well get cheapest tower A70F, there are vent holes for 2x120 front, rest is exactly same as A77, same space next to psu, and same top.

Imo reasonable config would be just 3x120 top, 2x120 front, more than enough for top sli/1cpu rigs. Too bad there is only one version of this case, black with silver interior, if there was deluxe version like mid tower PC-7FW (black anodized interior out of box) it would be perfect case. For top i would just get lian li, that looks better than most of grills you can get:

Btw that pic also shows mesh lian li side panel W-75M, and this is pretty much only one I found with it. I would like to see it from different angle.

If you are decided to use several of 5.25 bays, you could as well get cheapest tower A70F, there are vent holes for 2x120 front, rest is exactly same as A77, same space next to psu, and same top.
    I think you might have a really tough time fitting a 2x120 on the floor in front of the PSU and another up front with the A70F. The two fans in front are 280mm total, and a decent rad on the floor with fans is going to be ~80-90mm thick, which doesn't leave you enough room for the 2x120 front rad. The only way I could see it working would be to go with a really short PSU, but that doesn't really seem like a realistic option for a system that could actually take advantage of that much rad. The way I'm picturing it in the A77F, you'd only have like two open 5.25 bays.

Either way, (as you said) realistically speaking the best you can probably do with a Lian Li full tower and still have some HD space is probably a 3x120/4x120 up top and a 2x120 in front with maybe a 1x120 tucked away somewhere. I have a (Rocketfish) Lian Li full tower, and I just don't see any more than that fitting in there.

edit: I was actually just looking at both the A70F and A77F, and neither will take a quad up top because the power/reset switches are on the top. I can mount a quad in the Rocketfish up top because the switch is on the front. The quad rad takes up almost the entire length of the case.
    Last edited by nitromullet; 02-15-2011 at 03:36 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Make that a 2x140 in front of newer A71F and A70F.That's what i'm running along with a 3x120 on top, it fits real fine.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by spotswood View Post
    I think I'm going to have to build one of these for myself. This case is 50mms wider than the tiny TJ07. Here it is with three 140x3 rads and a PSU:

How much?
    When can you deliver?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast