Thread: How safe is WCG?

How safe is WCG?

Currently, I am in the process of convincing my college, Milwaukee School of Engineering, to start running WCG on all of their computers. MSOE gives laptops to all of their students so that would mean around 2400 computers (i5 520m) and other desktops on campus that this would be deployed to. I had a meeting this week with the director of IT and he had a number of questions that I could not answer and was hoping that all of you could help me out.

One of the main things that he was worried about was network security. He wanted to know things like what ports it was using for communication and how safe the communication between the client and the servers are. Another thing he was worried about was rogue code execution of sorts. He did not want to put something that he really did not know what it is doing on this many computers which do have access to sensitive information. The biggest concern he had was that there would be compatibility issues between some of the software run on the computers and WCG. There are several hundred programs that MSOE students use and he really did not want to cause his department more trouble. Are there any programs that definitely have compatibility issues with WCG?

Thanks,
    SuperPhrank

I would be leery of deploying WCG on a bunch of laptops simply because the cooling design in many laptops may not be up to the task. Typically, laptop cooling isn't designed for 100% load for extended periods of time.

For network security, port 443 (and possibly 80) is used. Basic HTTPS connection, really, from what I gather by looking around. And I've never heard of BOINC getting hijacked.

For program compatibility, I haven't heard of WCG causing another program to not work.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Cruncher
    Ygpm.

24 hour prime stable? Please, I'm 24/7/365 WCG stable!

So you can do Furmark, Can you Grid???

Xtreme Legend
    You can tell your IT person that a number of colleges and universities, including the University of Illinois and the University of Texas, participate in WCG. Also, major corporations, including IBM and Nike, take part. IBM staffs and runs the servers.
    Audentes fortuna iuvat

"Fortune favors the bold"

Xtreme Member
    http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org contains quite a lot of information about the issues raised, especially in the Forums. Start Here: Community-maintained FAQs [read only] is particularly useful.

Security:
    No security issues with running WCG have ever been discovered, and according to one of WCG's promo videos, IBM have employed would-be hackers to try. See Can I trust the World Community Grid software?
    An issue related to security is that there can be issues when some virus scanners are run while the WCG software is running. If this is a problem, the BOINC Data Directory should be excluded from virus scans.

Running on laptops:
    It is true that some laptops will run hotter than is desirable at 100% load, but many people do run WCG on them. In fact, in October 2010, it was announced that "Sony Electronics VAIOŽ computers now come equipped with IBM’s World Community Grid software." See Sony Assists Researchers With Humanitarian Research Projects
    One option is to configure throttling of the WCG software to reduce the average load %.
    Throttling can be done using the standard BOINC configuration parameters, but this is very "grainy" as it pauses for a number of whole seconds, probably because BOINC was developed on Unix, and generic Unix has this limitation. For Windows, Threadmaster performs much smoother throttling - see Threadmaster: The "Smooth" CPU Throttle for BOINC and anything else

Mass instalment of WCG:
    See WCG About Us >> Marketing Toolkit >> Download the BOINC Mass Install Document (PDF) for instructions on installing World Community Grid across a large number of computers. Other stuff at Marketing Toolkit might be of interest to your IT guy too.

WCG Ports. URLs, etc:
    See WCG Forums >> Start Here: Community-maintained FAQs [read only] >>
    World Community Grid's related URLs and IP Addresses

Support is available via the WCG Forums, plus because MSOE is an institution rather than an idividual, by email to support@worldcommunitygrid.org, or via the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page at http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org . And of course, there are lots of knowledgeable eager helpers right here at XS too.

If MSOE do decide to contribute, I'm sure that WCG would like to know about it. They may welcome you as a "partner" and issue media releases. Good publicity for the school.

Finally, an association between MSOE and WCG may not be all one-way. As well as welcoming donated computer time, WCG offers a free supercomputing facility for suitable projects. Perhaps there are researchers at MSOE who could use it, in which case see Submit a Proposal

We all hope to be able to say "MSOE, welcome to The Grid" soon
    Last edited by BlindFreddie; 01-30-2011 at 05:40 AM.

Thanks a lot for your answers everybody, it has been very helpful. I am currently setting up another meeting and will keep you all updated on the progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    I would be leery of deploying WCG on a bunch of laptops simply because the cooling design in many laptops may not be up to the task.
    The laptop is HP Elitebook 8540w and actually has surprisingly good cooling. It normally runs around 75C at full load so this should not be a problem.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperPhrank View Post
    Thanks a lot for your answers everybody, it has been very helpful. I am currently setting up another meeting and will keep you all updated on the progress.

The laptop is HP Elitebook 8540w and actually has surprisingly good cooling. It normally runs around 75C at full load so this should not be a problem.
    just dont run them @ 100% f/t - easy way to make sure nothing goes south
    DNA = Design Not Accident
    DNA = Darwin Not Accurate

heatware / ebay
    HARDWARE I only own Xeons, Extreme Editions & Lian Li's
    https://prism-break.org/

Xtreme Cruncher
    Very unsafe, it's a ploy by Al Qaeda to take over the world.
    Last edited by Kingcarcas; 01-31-2011 at 01:17 AM.
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580
    Assume nothing; Question everything

Xtreme Rack Freak
    I wouldn't have it run at 100%. More like 50%~70% would be sufficient for the machines you mentioned. Wonderful things may happen when those machines are pushed to absolute max for an extended amount of time.

Installing and using WCG is as safe as installing firefox and using it.

Main Rigs...
    Silver : i7-2600k / Asus P8H67-I Deluxe / 8GB RAM / 460 GTX SSC+ / SSD + HDD / Lian Li PC-Q11s
    WCG rig(s)... for team XS Full time
    1. i7 860 (Pure Cruncher)
    2. i7-870 (Acts as NAS with 5 HDDs)
    3. 1065T (Inactive currently)

Xtreme Cruncher
    Keep in mind, that WCG only refers to their version of BOINC and then only to their projects. I'm skeptical about other projects and would not run them in such an environment.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I remember trying to get my college to run WCG and they didn't want to, from a range of reasons like electricity cost and "that's not what the machine was purchased for".

Work/Game System - ~24/7 WCG
    ASUS P8P67 PRO / i7 2600k @ 4.1Ghz / Gigabyte Radeon HD5870 / 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600Mhz 9-9-9

HTPC -~24/7 WCG
    Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 / i7 2600k @ 4.0Ghz / Sapphire Radeon HD5830 / 2x2GB Mushkin Enhanced Essentials @ 1333Mhz 9-9-9

XS WCG Team Forum - http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/

Xtreme Cruncher
    I would not run WCG on a laptop, I did a few years ago on a Sony Vaio pentium 4 laptop and it degraded the thermalpaste to a point where watching a movie would cause it to overheat and throttle. I took the laptop apart and replaced the stock TIM with AS5 and it eventually killed that too. I was in the process of changing to ICD7 when the screwdriver slipped and I killed the laptop...

I know technology has changed a lot since then but heat is heat. With everyone trying to make devices in a smaller package it only gets worse.

I would think, as long as you set boinc to run when the pc is idle, there should be no issues with compatibility and other programs.
    XS WCG Rules: #1: don't pull fart_plume's finger #2: Dave aka Movieman, don't give him your phone number if you like your hearing
    XS WCG Note: There are 2 sets of points, WCG and Boinc. WCG = 7x Boinc

Project: Dark Matter (<- link) - Asus Maximus II Formula, Intel X3330 3.4ghz @1.32v under load, corsair ddr2 1066 8gigs, evga gtx260 core 216, pc p&c 750W, EK Supreme HF Nickel, iandh 175 res, Swiftech MCP355, Black Ice GTX G2 240, Lian Li v1200b

silverstone tj07 build log

hi,
    i run on wcg on 100% on t4200 for about year and had no issues so far temps are between 60 and 70 when i watch dvds

Tell it it's a :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: and threaten it with replacement

D_A on an UPS and life

hi,
    i run on wcg on 100% on t4200 for about year and had no issues so far temps are between 60 and 70 when i watch dvds

Tell it it's a :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: and threaten it with replacement

D_A on an UPS and life

Xtreme Cruncher
    Yeah... 64Dragon, IDK how that happened to you, but I've been running WCG on this laptop 24/7/365 for 17 months now. It runs non stop for 3 months, gets packed up for a few hours, thrown around in a backpack and then another 3 months... and it's still going strong. Under full load i'm looking at 60C which is exactly what it started at on week 1.

24 hour prime stable? Please, I'm 24/7/365 WCG stable!

So you can do Furmark, Can you Grid???

Devil kept pokin'
    5 year old IBM T60 been spinning wheels for ~10 months now. Might look into under volting all them to save power/heat but thats a lot of laptops to setup Im sure

After several emails back and forth with the director of IT, things ended up not working out so well for various reasons. So now I am moving on to what was my backup plan which is essentially going from door to door in the dorms asking for people to put it on their laptop.

So now I'm wondering if anybody knows of a way to make the install process easier. Something that would make it so there is no need for any user input or the restart at the end of the install. All of the students would probably be joined under the same user name to avoid the need for them to make new accounts.

Xtreme Member
    Silent install with weak key with option for no reboot.

4 Deployment using software distribution system (Scenario #1)
    The instructions below provide details on how to prepare World Community Grid’s BOINC client so that it can be
    deployed silently from the command line. After performing these modifications, the command line will install the
    client and automatically attach to World Community Grid using the specified member.
    4.1 Determine Installer Properties
    The installer requires some information during initial execution to install quietly on a system. These three are
    critical for mass deployments:
    1. PROJINIT_AUTH: Obtain the weak account key for the member name that you want the computers to
    register under by visiting https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.or...ewMyProfile.do. (You will find it
    near the bottom of the page next to the text that says ‘weak account key’.) This setting is required.
    2. ENABLESCREENSAVER: Default is 1 which sets the operating system to use the World Community Grid
    screen saver. If you wish to not set the screen saver, then include ENABLESCREENSAVER=0 in the
    commandline.
    3. ENABLEPROTECTEDAPPLICATIONEXECUTION2: Default is 0. This is used to set application
    sandboxing for improved security. It also sets whether or not to run as a service. If you want to enable
    protected execution and run as a service, then include
    ENABLEPROTECTEDAPPLICATIONEXECUTION2=1 on the command line.
    For more advanced options please visit
    http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Creat...ler_properties or contact
    support@worldcommunitygrid.org .
    4.2 Execute the installer
    Now that all the options have been determined, the following command can be used to install the World Community
    Grid BOINC client:
    wcg_boinc_6.10.58_windows_intelx86.exe /S /v"/qn PROJINIT_AUTH=weakaccountkey
    ENABLEPROTECTEDAPPLICATIONEXECUTION2=1"
    As part of the installation, the computer will be rebooted. If you need to disable this, you can run the following
    command. Please note that the computer MUST be restarted, before the software can start running.
    wcg_boinc_6.10.58_windows_intelx86.exe /S /v"/norestart /qn PROJINIT_AUTH=weakaccountkey
    ENABLEPROTECTEDAPPLICATIONEXECUTION2=1"
    Please note that there are several installation types and additional installation options available for World
    Community Grid’s BOINC client. Please view this page to see them:
    http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Creat...tom_installers or contact support@worldcommunitygrid.org
    If using any of these other options, please test them to make sure that they work correctly.
    The BOINC client will not start automatically after running this command. It will start after reboot.
    Last edited by artemm; 03-17-2011 at 06:48 AM.
    XS WCG: Voiding warranties for a good cause. Join us!

Thanks, didn't realize that was in the mass install document.