Thread: Best place to drain your Loop!?

Xtreme Guru

Best place to drain your Loop!?

hey guys i know this has been asked before and im quite clear it doesnt matter as long as its below your res as gravity takes it hehe, I was thinking though since im building a new rig soon and gonna have every block possible + gpu blocks... Was thinking of using koolance QDC fittings on the res that way i can do quick flushes and just empty the reservoir.. What you guys think ??

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Not a bad idea at all. But I have mine right at the bottom of my loop and still all the water does not flow out. I need to press the pipes t get it all out and there is alwasy some left where the tubes have a curve. Now, your res is going to be higher than the pump right?

So if thats the case, I would suggest a 3 way at the pump outlet, with one way going to the normal loop and the other acting as a drain.

Irrespective of what others say, the drain has made things a lot easier to change around...also I had two leaks while testing and with the drain it was not half as bad to get the liquid out and redo the plumbing.

Xtreme Guru
    Yeh i get what you mean mate, So something like this yeah? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2T72...eature=related
    im gonna have a radiator under the pump so should i do it on the rad such as done in the video?

Another thing I find funny is AMD/Intel would snipe any of our Moms on a grocery run if it meant good quarterly results, and you are forever whining about what feser did?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Check the link in my sig. may give you an idea of what I did. I have a drain right after my pump outlet.

I cant see the utube video as I am at work, so cant comment on that.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I added my T drain just after pump at the lowest point in the loop. ball joint to disconnect and reattach drain line.

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk
    MagisD

6 Quad rads 1 case Maybe I went a little overboard....Overkill Cube

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i use a Q block with a tap with stop fitting as a drain.
    in testing i found if it was BEFORE the pump, it was very slow to drain water back past the pump "backwards" through the loop.
    so after the pump sounds like the go.
    X2k
    The comments above are in no way endorsed by the management, the poster or any sane, rational, intelligent entity. Any complaints or offence arising from said comments can please refer to Avatar <

Xtreme Mentor
    I drain my loop in the back of a 57 Chevy at 85 MPH with a bottle of cheap booze.

Just add a drain, every loop is diff, you'll figure it out. You can never drain it all. You still have some residue.

Just do it.
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Just one note when draining you need air intake as well prefably at top of loop or res.

MagisD

Xtreme Addict
    I always make it a point to put a drain at the lowest part of my loop by one means or another. Sometimes not all of the water will come out via a drain, but if not, I just use my small air compressor and shoot some air into the fillport at the top of my loop to blow the water out of the drain.

Xtreme Member
    I usually put the case near a sink and cut the tubing. This get the water out of the loop pretty quickly.

Xtreme Member
    No idea if this helps since I'm still a watercooling nub, but I saw someone on here do the same thing with using a QDC as a drain for their loop and thought it was ingenious idea, so I sat there for a while trying to figure out a way to stealth a drain into my loop w/o making it look all jumbled up. Here's a picture of my machine, I drew a line to were the tubes lead and where the QDC is located (white box - sorry if the pic is a little dark):

Needed a little extra tubing, plus I was able to get away with it since that HAF X has a crap load of room behind the back panel.

You could try something like that if ya want to make it look ninja.

Xtreme Member
    As it has been pointed out, it works better if the drain is located at a lowest point in the loop but at the same time it needs air intake on the top as well. With that in mind, I use my vacuum cleaner pointed at the fillport to suck water out of the loop, especially out of the rad, while draining the system. I find this method works best for me, as I can drain most of the water out of the system quickly.

Xtreme Member
    Here ya go,
    Works for me

Clear tubing T-line or drain.

Later
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PA220012.JPG 
Views:	742 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	109736  
    CM 690 II Advanced- #9 fans.
    ASUS P6X58D-E.
    i7-930-Lapped/ 4.51/24/7/1.41v HT On
    Corsair Dominator 1600-6gig-8-8-8-24@1820
    Cooling- ST XT- EK 240+ XSPC 240+120=600.5-355 pump
    Crucial M4 Sata III 128g Boot/ WD 640 sata III Storage.
    Sapphire 7970 OC Edition 1250/1650/1.200 Stable & Sorta Cool.
    SB Titanium- 2.1 Bose
    CM 850W 82amp Single rail Modular.
    DVD Plextor/Samsung
    Lamptron FC2
    Samsung 26" 1920x1200
    Logitech G-15
    Win 7-64bit-Oem he

Xtreme Member
    I have a T-line at the bottom of the loop that goes to an extra fillport I had laying around.

Xtreme Guru
    thanks for the comments guys, Any more pics to give me ideas????

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Check my build log my examples in there.

MagisD

Xtreme Guru
    Magis ill put the pic here so everyone can see, i know alot of people always want ideas on drain loops... ur idea is the exact same idea i was going with.. just getting a taste on various ideas...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    No worries, i would of posted it but most of my posts are from my phone while I'm out for a smoke.

MagisD

Xtreme Guru
    Quick question its connected to the oulet of the pump yeah?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    it appears to be in between 2 pumps,
    so on the outlet of one and the inlet of the 2nd
    X2k
    The comments above are in no way endorsed by the management, the poster or any sane, rational, intelligent entity. Any complaints or offence arising from said comments can please refer to Avatar <

Xtreme Addict
    Just for another idea, I've done this several times and it has worked well. Where I needed an elbow or 45 at the bottom of my loop due to the GPU or whatever, I've taken a copper elbow, drilled a hole in it, cut off a small brass barb, and soldered it into the copper elbow. Then you can get rubber vacuum fitting stops from any auto parts store to put over the barb and stop up the drain. Then to drain, I would just put a small funnel under the barb leading to the sink/bucket and pull of the stopper to drain. It is a great way to have a very compact drain.

Last edited by voigts; 11-26-2010 at 12:19 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Creekin View Post
    it appears to be in between 2 pumps,
    so on the outlet of one and the inlet of the 2nd
    Yup lowest point in loop. Outlet Of Pump. Water has no trouble feeding back through second pump either. There was suppose to be tubing in between but I managed to Cover that section with some creative fitting use ;-)
    MagisD

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by voigts View Post
    Just for another idea, I've done this several times and it has worked well. Where I needed an elbow or 45 at the bottom of my loop due to the GPU or whatever, I've taken a copper elbow, drilled a hole in it, cut off a small brass barb, and soldered it into the copper elbow. Then you can get rubber vacuum fitting stops from any auto parts store to put over the barb and stop up the drain. Then to drain, I would just put a small funnel under the barb leading to the sink/bucket and pull of the stopper to drain. It is a great way to have a very compact drain.
    Photo Snip

And for People who don't have your Mad Modding /crafting skills Koolance Puts out a Small Fitting 6mm with Stopper. Nozzle And the Cap. And here theirs some variations prebuilt http://www.koolance.com/water-coolin...t.php?cPath=64

Its what i have on the end of my Drain line.

I've revised My build 3 times originally i had Dual fill lines mounted in case for Water in /air out, and One Drain line ( the 6 MM nozzle/cap to be mounted in Panel pass through in the bottom back corner ) So i never had to open case to drain.
    Last edited by MagisD; 11-26-2010 at 05:50 AM.
    MagisD

Xtreme Member
    This is what I use.
    Works great.

Later
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6100009.JPG 
Views:	430 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	109773  
    CM 690 II Advanced- #9 fans.
    ASUS P6X58D-E.
    i7-930-Lapped/ 4.51/24/7/1.41v HT On
    Corsair Dominator 1600-6gig-8-8-8-24@1820
    Cooling- ST XT- EK 240+ XSPC 240+120=600.5-355 pump
    Crucial M4 Sata III 128g Boot/ WD 640 sata III Storage.
    Sapphire 7970 OC Edition 1250/1650/1.200 Stable & Sorta Cool.
    SB Titanium- 2.1 Bose
    CM 850W 82amp Single rail Modular.
    DVD Plextor/Samsung
    Lamptron FC2
    Samsung 26" 1920x1200
    Logitech G-15
    Win 7-64bit-Oem he

Xtreme Guru
    I'm guessing, that similar can be assembled from one compression fitting+multi transfer base (of 2 female G1/4 threads)+cap, if one wishes for end to be of CF type.