Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gorilla glass unbreakable? I think not

Xtreme Member

Gorilla glass unbreakable? I think not

Gorilla glass is supposed to be the toughest glass around?

Well i beg to differ!

Got a dell streak and less than a 2 foot drop and i now have a lovely crack all the way down the screen

Am not impressed. Glad i bought the insurance though.

Xtreme Member
    ouch!!! pix please!!!
    ASUS P8Z68V-PRO
    2500k 4.7ghz
    2X4Gb Ballistix Tactical Tracers
    Diamond HD6950 (unlocked) 2gb
    Enermax REVOLUTION 1050W
    Vertex 2 60Gb & Samsung F3 1TB

Quote Originally Posted by grasskicker509 View Post
    ouch!!! pix please!!!
    I Concur..please do

Xtreme Member
    Excuse the dealy of the pics. they are on my other phone but the port where the cable goes in is all dicky so they should be up in two days.

BTW 02 replace the phone under the insurance next day after phoning them with a brand new retail boxed stock (or so it seemed) was well chuffed

Xtreme Member
    Damage resistance not damage proof

The reasons to choose Gorilla glass keep adding up. When you choose Gorilla glass, you’ll get more than just unparalleled damage resistance and protection:
    Last edited by dicecca112; 08-30-2010 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Quotes
    Mac Pro 2X2.4GHZ Quad
    40GB OWC SSD
    6GB DDR3
    6TB Storage

Obviously EVERYTHING has a breaking limit, but I'm surprised a two foot drop is Gorilla Glass's. Maybe you dropped it into traffic or something?
    derp

Xtreme Member
    LOL it was onto another piece of glass!

Xtreme Member
    congrats, you've found the kryptonite of gorilla glass.

for whatever odd reason(someone with chemistry know-how could explain better), glass-to-gorilla-glass contact is extremely 'harsh' on the latter. the EASIEST way to break your screen is to hit it with another piece of glass.

try dropping it onto another hard surface that is not glass, it'll fare alot better.

i'm not trying to give gorilla glass a free pass, but many of the 'surprise' breaks involve glass. just a fyi

Xtreme Addict
    It's just the Mohs scale. Anything higher or equal than glass (silicon dioxide) can scratch it. The bonds in glass (Si-O-Si) can disrupt other bonds in another piece of glass as they are pretty much the same in terms of hardness. On the other hand, wood is soft because the bonds holding wood together are weak, so if you try to scratch glass and wood together the wood will prefer to be scratched by the glass.

On that note though, don't try and use gems or diamond to see how tough Gorilla Glass is ; )
    E7200 @ 3.4 ; 7870 GHz 2 GB
    Intel's atom is a terrible chip.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Everytime I click on this thread I expect to see pictures. I don't so stop bumping plz :/

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Lian Dream: i7 2600k @ 4.7Ghz, Asus Maximus IV Gene-z, MSI N680GTX Twin Frozr III, 8GB 2x4GB Mushkin Ridgeback, Crucial M4 128GB x2, Plextor PX-755SA, Seasonic 750 X, Lian-li
    HTPC: E5300@3.8, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, Gigabyte 5750 Silentcell, Mushkin 2GBx2, 2x 500gb Maxtor Raid 1, 300gb Seagate, 74gb Raptor, Seasonic G series 550 Gold, Silverstone LC16m

Laptop: XPS15z Crucial M4
    Nikon D700 ~ Nikkor 17-35 F2.8 ~ Nikkor 50mm F1.8
    Lian Dream Work Log
    my smugmug
    Heatware

Xtreme Addict
    Intel Core i7 920 4 GHz | 18 GB DDR3 1600 MHz | ASUS Rampage II Gene | GIGABYTE HD7950 3GB WindForce 3X | WD Caviar Black 2TB | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Altec Lansing MX5021 | Corsair HX750 | Lian Li PC-V354
    Super silent cooling powered by (((Noiseblocker)))

This seems to be a recurring theme with gorilla glass front phones. Side impacts especially seem to make the stuff just shatter even if normal front-on abuse lets it go unharmed.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Banned
    This ones for you dahma

Gorilla glass must be tempered if it fails in side impact and glass to glass impact. Tempered glass is terrible in side impact resistance.

Xtreme Member
    Mine was a 45 degree impact

Still cant get the pics off my phone (sony erricson and their connector designs)

Ill try to get them up as quick as i can.
    Last edited by runmc; 09-24-2010 at 06:06 AM. Reason: language edit

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Personally, I had an iPhone 3GS, and I abused the CRAP out of it. Someone Knocked my iPhone out of my hand, and flew like 6 feet into the air and then fell, people went OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MAN. I picked up, Cringed, pressed the home button, D: Nothing happened to it =D. I did have a lil condom case on it though, wasn't thick. Then it took more months of dropping, throwing it in the air, and etc. Still works to date.

Now I'm on my HD2, trying to be careful with that 4.3 inch screen.
    Project Elegant Dreams
    CPU: Intel 980x (3005F803T) @ Stock , Mobo: Rampage III Extreme, Ram: 24GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 C9 1T 1.51v GPU: SLI EK'd Vanilla GTX580, 0.875v @ idle.
    Sound:Asus Xonar Xense w/Sennheiser PC350
    SSD: 2x OCZ Agility 3 120GB RAID-0 on ICH10 Storage: 2x1.5TB Hitachi 5K3000, 1.5TB WD Black, 1TB F3, various other HDD's Case: Obsidian 800D, PSU: Corsair AX1200,

Water Cooling
    Main Loop
    EK Supreme HF
    EK GTX480 blocks on EVGA 580s
    MCP355 and MCP35X in serial
    Dual BlackIce GTX480 Rads

Xtreme Member
    Daaaamn, what kind of floor did it land on?
    Flawless heatware (161-0-0)
    http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=43931

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by smut View Post
    Daaaamn, what kind of floor did it land on?
    Me or Him? For me, well It landed on concrete on the edge by the sleep/power Button. The case had a nasty little scar. Phone? Mint condition!
    Project Elegant Dreams
    CPU: Intel 980x (3005F803T) @ Stock , Mobo: Rampage III Extreme, Ram: 24GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 C9 1T 1.51v GPU: SLI EK'd Vanilla GTX580, 0.875v @ idle.
    SSD: 2x OCZ Agility 3 120GB RAID-0 on ICH10 Storage: 2x1.5TB Hitachi 5K3000, 1.5TB WD Black, 1TB F3, various other HDD's Case: Obsidian 800D, PSU: Corsair AX1200,

Water Cooling
    Main Loop
    EK Supreme HF

Xtreme Addict
    Didn't happen. Otherwise there would be pics already.

Xtreme Member
    +1, with out pics there is no proof.
    HW: TJ08B-E | i5-3570k | Maximus V Gene | G.skill 16GB Ripjaw X DDR3 1600 | GTX 670 FTW | Mushkin 120GB & 240GB SSD | Seasonic X750 Gold |

WC: Monsoon Res | D5 Pump | Raystorm CPU WB | Razor GPU WB | Phobya 200mm Rad (AP181 Push) | EK 120mm Rad (ZM-SF3 Push) | Primoflex Advanced LRT 1/2" x 3/4"

Silent TJ08B-E - Current Rig
    TU-200 - Old Rig
    Water Box Xtreme - Old Rig

Xtreme Addict
    My Samsung Wave landed on asphalt today (i hate it when it happens). It landed edge down and then on the screen. Not a single scratch on a screen, but i have few nasty holes in the aluminum case. I'd wish it was made from stainless steel instead, even with higher weight. It would be scratched but not dented... Plus if it was silver i culdn't even see the scratches, but since it's black, they are quite visible. Ah. 1 month old and already scratched. I hate this.
    Intel Core i7 920 4 GHz | 18 GB DDR3 1600 MHz | ASUS Rampage II Gene | GIGABYTE HD7950 3GB WindForce 3X | WD Caviar Black 2TB | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Altec Lansing MX5021 | Corsair HX750 | Lian Li PC-V354
    Super silent cooling powered by (((Noiseblocker)))

Xtreme Enthusiast
    How hard is it ...in this day and age to take a pic. I call BS on this.

Also got same glass and hope this is BS. what size screen is that streak?
    Abit IC7 P4 2.8a @4.21 | P4 3.4e @4.9 | Gainward 6800GT GS @486/1386
    Asus P4P800 SE Dothan 730-PM @ 2900 | EVGA 6800 Ultra GS @521/1376

e8400@4.3G & 8800GTS G92 800/1932/1132 as gaming rig 24/7

Custom self build chillbox with watercooling @-28c 24/7 | chilled wc " cpu -18c idle/-3c load
    3DMark 2005 Score Dothan & 6800U
    3DMark 2005 Score p4 & 6800GT

Here's an example of what happens. It's no myth, at least when it comes to iPhones with gorilla glass fronts:

Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Team AF
    Doesn't look too bad though

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by @rne View Post
    Doesn't look too bad though
    It looks pretty cool actually! Specially "cracked" iPhone back cover.
    Project Elegant Dreams

Water Cooling
    Main Loop
    EK Supreme HF

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast