Thread: Compact case. Smaller than mini tower, superior airflow.

Xtreme Member

Compact case. Smaller than mini tower, superior airflow.

oh MAN its been a looong time since ive posted on the forum.

Got myself a new case project. Going from modded up HUGE asus vento, to a heavily modded/shrunken & cut up lian li a06f. Or maybe just a motherboard tray with a frame!

Features:

-SMALL, COMPACT! AWESOME
    -GREAT cooling for the cpu. breathable & dust filtered mesh to cover most of the case
    -QUIET! the case will have ZERO case fans. Since the design is small, the 120mm fan on the heatsink can pull aair in, and the fan on the back of the close placement of the psu fan to the back of the heatsink will pull the air out. (advantage of the small case)
    -EXPANDABLE! yes, I shall design the case to fit any new monster cpu cooler/graphics card out there
    -PSU cables will enter through port next to PCI slots on MOBO tray
    -PSU exhausts all hot air UP, totally away from the case (hot air leaves, and rises away)

Issues:

is there a dvd drive that will work sideways? I might get a slot-loading type
    that "eats" the disk.

for anyone who thinks that hot air is blown into the psu, causing an overheating in the power supply, this is not true for two measured reasons:

1. mesh everywhere. The psu will still have fresh air to take from around the case
    2. because the heatsink is so big (currently a scythe infinity) the air exiting the heatsink is not scolding not, its not even lukewarm really..

here are some crappy renders placed nest to an antec 900 midtower for size comparison via google sketch:

Last edited by enz660; 06-01-2010 at 08:39 PM.
    Specs:
    - e6600 3.2ghz, 1.35vcore (MAX 3.9ghz 1.7v) Cooling: Project_Infinity: The search for the best quiet air cooling.
    - P5W DH Deluxe Cooling Mod
    - 2048mb Patiot PC2 5300 @ 890mhz, 4-4-4-12, 2.15v (MAX 1053mhz 2.35v)
    - Nvidia 8800gt
    - Silverstone ST75F 750watt
    - Modded Asus Vento (Black) *Heavy Case Modding In Progress*

Xtreme Design
    That will certainly provide excellent airflow across the 'sink. Just be sure to add the CFM of both 'sink fans and make sure your PSU can exhaust it or you may end up with worst temps.
    -------------------------------
    Not From Concentrate
    All Projects
    Previous Projects:
    S3 Mini ITX Chassis
    The ArK
    Uriel
    Israfel
    Veritas
    Eldritch

Xtreme Addict
    Some regular DVD drives do specify that they can be used mounted vertically. They are made with a retention mechanism that holds the DVD in the tray. I don't have a model number or link for you though off the top of my head.

A slot loading drive would probably be the better choice anyway given the size of your case.

I think personally that I would mount the CPU heatsink 90 degrees from how you have it now so that the heat is exhausted via the top. The PSU isn't going to be able to keep up with two CPU fans, and blowing CPU exhaust directly into the PSU is going to raise its internal temp which could cause the fan to throttle faster. Since the top is mesh anyway, just exhaust there.

just remove the 5.25 drive and you're good to go.

Get a external one, man
    Raidmax ATOMIC - Core i7 3770s + Corsair H70 // Gigabyte H77N WIFI // Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 2133mhz // EVGA GTX1060 ACX2.0// Kingston SUV400 480Gb // Sharkoon SFX500L

Xtreme Member
    hmmmm yeah, I wish there was a way to measure the speed of that fan on the PSU... I def dont want it choking the system.
    Last edited by enz660; 06-02-2010 at 05:00 AM.
    Specs:
    - e6600 3.2ghz, 1.35vcore (MAX 3.9ghz 1.7v) Cooling: Project_Infinity: The search for the best quiet air cooling.
    - Nvidia 8800gt

Xtreme Design
    Quote Originally Posted by miptzi View Post
    just remove the 5.25 drive and you're good to go.

Get a external one, man
    Another good tip. I would just get a slim external and mount it on the back.

Ever since I got my external drive I have been in love. I have a million PCs around my office and being able to hub them all to one little thing on my desk where I don't have to bend over, reach, stretch, or twist has been great.
    -------------------------------
    Not From Concentrate
    All Projects
    Previous Projects:
    S3 Mini ITX Chassis
    The ArK
    Uriel
    Israfel
    Veritas
    Eldritch

Xtreme Member
    ok heres rev 2. I found a simple solution to the possible throttling of the PSU, while keeping the cpu chilled. I shall simply place a sheet of plastic/aluminum as illustrated in the render between the PSU and the rear of the CPU heatsink and relocate the rear CPU heatsink to the top(case that will be heavily modified comes with a 140mm fan!!). This will provide nearly equal results, while peeping everything cool, and all the hit air exhausts at the top of the case without issues, and rises away (BYE!!!)

also, i have swapped the normal sized DVD drive with a slim version, to make sure it will work when placed vertically, as well as free up the case.

Specs:
    - Nvidia 8800gt

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Looks good! anymore?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xsbb View Post
    Looks good! anymore?
    im gonna order everything end of this week and start building!
    Specs:
    - Nvidia 8800gt