Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast

Thread: Skinnee Labs - GTX480 Block Round-Up (working thread)

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
    I like guessing games....lemme try

I'm gonna do a performance score though....10 being best, 1 being stock.
    9-10 - Swiftech
    9-10 - Koolance
    9-10 - AquaComputer
    8-9 - EK
    8 - XSPC
    7.5 - DangerDen
    3.5 - Bitspower
    1 - Stock

Skinnee hasn't even put the card on water yet, so I have no insider info and these are purely guesses And these are just core temps, the Swiftech heatpipe design is too much of a curveball for me to begin to predict.
    Wooh, wait a second... The EK is in 4th place? And XSPC is tied for 4th?? I can see the Swiftech being the top performer but why is the Koolance > EK? IT should be the other way around, in my mind that is xD

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Conumdrum View Post
    Also, who has the 470 blocks out?
    We launched our 470 block at the same time as our 480 block.

Quote Originally Posted by blazarcher View Post
    why is the Koolance > EK?
    I can't confirm anything because I haven't compared EK's 480 to ours. But I think the logic assumes microfins > less complicated shapes, which is often correct.

Tim

Admin
    Wooh, wait a second... The EK is in 4th place? And XSPC is tied for 4th?? I can see the Swiftech being the top performer but why is the Koolance > EK? IT should be the other way around, in my mind that is xD
    Look at the microchannels on the Koolance

Compared to the EK Wave design from like...2007? EK shouldn't keep up with the micropin array of the Swiftech or the microchannels of the Koolance or AquaComputer in terms of performance (if they're all done right, that is....a too-thick base or poor contact can kill the performance of any design quickly). Kind of like saying a Whitewater can keep up with a Heatkiller LC

I am Xtreme

Compared to the EK Wave design from like...2007? EK shouldn't keep up with the micropin array of the Swiftech or the microchannels of the Koolance or AquaComputer in terms of performance (if they're all done right, that is....a too-thick base or poor contact can kill the performance of any design quickly). Kind of like saying a Whitewater can keep up with a Heatkiller LC
    Didn't I see a pic of you somewhere
    "Thing is, I no longer consider you a member but, rather a parasite...one that should be expunged."

Xtreme Member

I'm a bit confused. How can you explain the EK (5870 waterblock) performing better than EVERYONE. Here is a link, not sure about the validity of the source...
    http://translate.google.com/translat...ndup%26hl%3Den

Yeah a mega-link xD

Anyways here is the graph that I am arguing from.

That's just the GPU temps, the VRM temps don't matter as the EK only wins because it has a backplate. -- I guess we can guesstimate that the AquaComputer will excel here xD

Here is a shot of the EK block showing the EK wave design. Although old, I guess it did pretty well here in that regard...

[IMG=http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/6290/ekg003t.jpg][/IMG]

So is the danger den block the absolute best in terms of cooling performance (ignoring the Swiftech)? Or is Koolance just as good?

----
    Sorry about the questions but I was SERIOUSLY considering the EK block and now am a bit confused xD

Again sorry about the so-called large pic, I would have assumed everyone would be running at least 1920x1200 xD
    Last edited by blazarcher; 05-19-2010 at 02:19 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    Skinnee's gona test it all milord !
    BTTB - Gigabyte Z87X-OC - WCed I7 4770k - 2x8gb Ballistix 1600mhz - Zotac GTX 780
    Asus Xonar Pheobus - OS -> Toshiba Q 256gb - Games -> 2x Agility 4 256gb Raid0
    Corsair HX850 - Tecnofront HWD BenchTable - Asus VE278Q 5760x1080

Serveur - Asus Z77m PRO - 2500K - NH-C12P - 4x4gb G.Skill Ares 1600mhz
    Agility 4 128gb - Corsair CX430M - 1TB Black - 2TB green - 2TB Red

KatPat - Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 - FX-8320 - PH-TC14CS - 2x4gb Viper 1600mhz - GTS 450
    Samsung Evo 120gb - Corsair HX750 - Bitfenix Survivor White - Asus VE247H

Never go full retard
    blazarcher, just calm down a bit... people are just placing their bets as to how everything is gonna turn out. They are not telling you which block you need to get or which leg you need to put in your pants first when putting them on. And resize that giant photo please, I hate the sideways scrolling.

Quote Originally Posted by skinnee View Post
    And resize that giant photo please, I hate the sideways scrolling.
    Get image zoom addon for firefox and you can resize

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacops View Post
    Get image zoom addon for firefox and you can resize
    Is that for the massive crazy pic size poster or for Skinnee? I responsibily resize my pics before linking to them on Photobucket.

Need a uber detailed pic? I make a link for the visually needy with 90" monitors.
    All stock for now, no need for more, but it's gonna be soon methinks.
    Giga Xtreme 58 mobo i7 965 ES D0 step Corsair 1600 6 gig
    SLI GTX470 EVGA
    EK HF nickle blue top CPU block (free from Eddie)
    Koolance 470 waterblocks
    One big loop, two 120x3 rads. Pa 120.3 and XSPC RX 120x3. Swiftech 35x pump with V2 restop. GT AP15 fans.
    Banchetto Tech Station
    120 GB SSD, and a few other drives.
    1000W UltraX3 PSU, 900 watt (1500VA UPS
    23.999" Acer GD235hz and 24" Acer H243H

Aqua Computer Rep
    Shipping must be really expensive!!
    Always 34.90 EUR for a parcel up to 31.5kg.
    Got a question or having a problem with your Aqua Computer product?
    Contact us via PM or E-Mail.

Xtreme Guru
    Conundrum: i second skinnee's opinion - even though i use 1900x1200 27" screen, mostly i use browser window of size at half of that resolution for eg. several windows side by side. Problem with larger images is, that text gets wrapped with them in posts in same longish lines, and gets on my nerves each time when i need to maximise browser just to be able to read text. Your case is not that bad, i've seen some WIDE pics posted (like 2000-3000 and more px wide ), but you might note as future reference, that it would be polite to others in forum to use pics no more then 1024x768, but preferably 800x600 or even less.., even if rules allow, it's simply respecting others.

Xtreme Member
    personally my choice in gtx480 block is based as follows: 60% overall performance (GPU, mem + VRM) + 40% ease of assembly/dis-assembly, the back-plate on the AC block has already ruined it for me, I see absolutely no reason for it apart from aesthetics, one can argue it provides a more uniform mount but i think the effect will be minimum and isn't worth the extra hassle IMHO (see how i said IMHO there, so don't flame me).

Xtreme Guru

... eh.

At this point, I'm not taking any bets. There's simply too many extra factors in GPU block performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloody_Sorcerer
    flowrate is for losers!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxxxRacer
    Thermaltake is kind of like AIDS; it won't go away just by ignoring it.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    can't wait for results, my DD480 block with CPU included in loop on a Feser 360 stays around 34c idle and highest I've seen the 480 get to even while overclocked and overvolted to 900/2150 I've only hit 52c load
    Project HAF 932 Water-Cooled

New OC Validation

- Q9650 4.0 Ghz For Now -
    - GTZ, Feser 360, D5 Vario, EK Multi-Option -
    - eVGA 750i FTW! -
    - eVGA GTX 480 H20 & GTX 295 -
    - 2x2GB Dominators PC2-8500C5D -
    - WDCaviar Black 640GB AALS x2 (Raid0) -
    - FreeAgent Pro 500GB Ext x2 -
    - Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050w PSU -
    - X-Fi XtremeGamer -
    - CM HAF 932 H20 -
    - Dell U2410 IPS LCD -
    - Logitech G11 & MX-518 /G9 -
    - Sony 24x Optical w/ LightScribe -
    - BOSE Companion 3 -
    - ATH-AD900 Cans & UE Triple.Fi 10 Custom IEM's -
    - Nikon D40 w/18-105mm & 55-200mm VR's -

Xtreme Enthusiast
    You always need to distinguish between cooling performance and flow restriction, both being important for the block's overall performance. And what's more important to you depends on what kind of loop you're running and on your preferences. I for one am almost sure that the EK will probably come out on top for me as usual. Lowest pressure drop and temps that aren't much worse than those of the micro channel blocks. If I were to go for a dedicated GPU loop though, I wouldn't care much about flow and only consider thermal performance. But for a CPU + GPU loop I'll gladly sacrifice a few degrees on the GPU for higher flow through the CPU block.

Vapor was only talking about thermal performance I think.

EK now have the backplates for the 480 blocks up on their store. They look real nice and definatly made my decision on which blocks to get a whole lot easier It's a shame they arent bundling them with the blocks like Aquacomputer but it still works out cheaper for us Aussies anyway.

Project: Jane Doe | Project: TYR | Project: Killer Penguin

Project: Killer Penguin 2.0

Lian Li V600FX | ASUS R4G | i7 3820 @ 5Ghz H20 | HD 7970 H20 | Mushkin 16GB Redlines | Intel 330 180GB | Seasonic CP860W Custom Sleeved | Watercooled by Watercool Heatkiller

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Still waiting for the Nickle plated GTX480 aquagraFX... Asked in the Aqua-computer's English section of their forum, but its like a ghost town in there...

Shoggy, can I pay a down payment to pre-order one??

Quote Originally Posted by creidiki View Post
    We are a band of fearless modern-day alchemists who, for fun, run solutions through sophisticated, if overpriced, separator setups, and then complain when we succeed in separating said solution.

Quote Originally Posted by eternal_fantasy View Post
    Still waiting for the Nickle plated GTX480 aquagraFX... Asked in the Aqua-computer's English section of their forum, but its like a ghost town in there...

Shoggy, can I pay a down payment to pre-order one??
    A-C-Shop in Germany are selling some nickel plated Aquagrafx 480 blocks. I got my nickel plated heatkiller 5870 blocks from there a few months back.

http://www.a-c-shop.de/Aquacomputer-...ckelt-A-C-Shop

It's tempting but I really need plexi for my build. Another company needs to make some plexi tops for their blocks to give EK some competition on the plexi front.
    Project: Jane Doe | Project: TYR | Project: Killer Penguin

Project: Killer Penguin 2.0

Lian Li V600FX | ASUS R4G | i7 3820 @ 5Ghz H20 | HD 7970 H20 | Mushkin 16GB Redlines | Intel 330 180GB | Seasonic CP860W Custom Sleeved | Watercooled by Watercool Heatkiller

Aqua Computer Rep
    @Coldon: keeping in mind that the GPU can be bend (like with our card) you will gain a lot by using the backplate since it pushes the GPU against the copper and can compensate that problem.

@eternal_fantasy: will still take some time. As long as we sell the copper one like hell we will not hold back a few to nickel-plate them since that takes a bit while others scream for blocks Since that nickel plated variant does not exist in the system I can't also do an order confirmation for it.
    Got a question or having a problem with your Aqua Computer product?
    Contact us via PM or E-Mail.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by converge View Post
    A-C-Shop in Germany are selling some nickel plated Aquagrafx 480 blocks. I got my nickel plated heatkiller 5870 blocks from there a few months back.

http://www.a-c-shop.de/Aquacomputer-...ckelt-A-C-Shop

It's tempting but I really need plexi for my build. Another company needs to make some plexi tops for their blocks to give EK some competition on the plexi front.
    Thanks for the link!! Just put down an order with help from Google Translate.
    Hope the site is reputable... Somehow got a 15% discount code already entered, so it came out to be around 100 euro sent to the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoggy View Post
    @eternal_fantasy: will still take some time. As long as we sell the copper one like hell we will not hold back a few to nickel-plate them since that takes a bit while others scream for blocks
    Thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by creidiki View Post
    We are a band of fearless modern-day alchemists who, for fun, run solutions through sophisticated, if overpriced, separator setups, and then complain when we succeed in separating said solution.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoggy View Post
    @Coldon: keeping in mind that the GPU can be bend (like with our card) you will gain a lot by using the backplate since it pushes the GPU against the copper and can compensate that problem.

@eternal_fantasy: will still take some time. As long as we sell the copper one like hell we will not hold back a few to nickel-plate them since that takes a bit while others scream for blocks Since that nickel plated variant does not exist in the system I can't also do an order confirmation for it.
    shouldnt the 8 screws around the GPU area be sufficient to prevent a bad mount due to bending? I can totally understand why it's nice to have the option of the back plate but while I personally feel like it may be unnecessary, skinnees testing will ultimately tell...

i just received my gtx480 today and after hearing that abortion of a stock cooler at full blast, i need to get a waterblock ASAP.

Never go full retard
    The fans on GPU's are just annoying and I am deaf as a post too. I've been playing with the clocks on my card as I wait for the new camera to arrive and last night just couldn't take the fan noise anymore and shut the test bench down... yes, I really want that NewEgg order to hurry up so I can get the card on water!! I will have some numbers/clocks to share from pushing the card on air later this evening though.

edit: That EK backplate looks good. I was surprised to see only AquaComputer supplied a backplate. To me backplates are like standoffs (especially for the longer cards)... they should be the norm and not the exception.
    Last edited by skinnee; 05-19-2010 at 08:23 AM.

(To me backplates are like standoffs (especially for the longer cards)... they should be the norm and not the exception.) EXACTLY ... But im sure a company like EK that gets so many customers knows they can still sell a backplate seperately
    HEATWARE
    x58-UD5 ▀▄ i7 950 4.0Ghz ▀▄ ZOTAC GTX 580 ▀▄ Mushkins 1600Mhz

Admin
    That EK backplate is really nice looking

@blazarcher...check the internals of the 5870 rev1 Koolance block vs. their GTX480 internals, there's been a massive update. And my performance conjecture is merely just conjecture of course

I am Xtreme
    I'm a bit confused. How can you explain the EK (5870 waterblock) performing better than EVERYONE.
    As Vapor pointed out, our original VID-AR587 didn't use microfins. The VID-AR587T2 (for later HD 5870's) does, though.

There are certainly other factors, like quality of contact, cold plate thickness, etc. But all things being equal, I will be surprised if the microfin coolers don't top out the list. ... And the Koolance 480 block uses microfins on both the GPU *and* VRM area.

Tim

Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast