Thread: Dry ice for everyday computer use

Dry ice for everyday computer use

Hi,
    I am new to Dry ice cooling and wanted know if dry ice cooling can also be used for everyday tasks such as word or playing games or does the dry ice evaporate too quickly???

I am from the UK and also wanted to know where I can buy cheap dry ice. let me know. thanks.

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Not feasible for 24/7 cooling due to cost, bulk of dry ice required, and sub-ambient nature of dry ice.

Xtreme Member
    you can get dry ice from BOC in the UK. or try and contact a local food distributor.
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
    - Popular Mechanics, 1949

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
    - Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

Heat

Xtreme Enthusiast
    YouŽll get issues with condensation after a few hours, depending on your ambient temp and CPU Load.
    Last edited by Paxi; 06-06-2009 at 01:39 PM.
    System #1:
    i7 975 for bench, W3540 @ 4,4 Ghz HT On, Asus P6X58 Premium, 3x2048 Corsair Dominator 2000CL7, Sapphire 5970 @ stock, Corsair HX1000, 1xOCZ Vertex2 120GB, 3x1TB WD Green
    Cooled by:
    Loop 1: Watercool HK rev 3.0, Laing Ultra 18W /w XSPC Res Top, Thermochill PA120.3 /w Phobya Fans @ 5V Pull
    Loop 2: EK 5970 Nickle, Laing Ultra 18W /w XSPC Res Top, Thermochill PA120.3 /w Phobya Fans @ 5V Pull
    Loop 3: EK Asus NB/SB, Mips Asus Mosfet 1 + 2, Laing Ultra 18W /w XSPC Res Top, Thermochill PA120.2 /w Phobya Fans @ 5V Pull

4,6Ghz (21x220) 1,42Vcore with Single Stage (HT enabled)
    http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/1251/83962063.jpg

AMD @ testing
    X4 955, Asus Crosshair III, same Rams as on Intel Setup, Sapphire 4870X2 @ Stock, PC Power&Cooling 910W

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bla$nA View Post
    YouŽll get issues with condensation after a few hours, depending on your ambient temp and CPU Load.
    He'll also suffocate himself in a small closed room.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Even with a huge pot, you're talking about run times of like 15 minutes between refills.
    Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
    As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
    Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
    When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
    When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Rule 3:
    When it comes to computer news, 70% of Internet rumors are outright fabricated, 20% are inaccurate enough to simply be discarded, and about 10% are based in reality. Grains of salt--become familiar with them.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

Random Tip o' the Whatever
    You just can't win. If your product offers feature A instead of B, people will moan how A is stupid and it didn't offer B. If your product offers B instead of A, they'll likewise complain and rant about how anyone's retarded cousin could figure out A is what the market wants.

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    Even with a huge pot, you're talking about run times of like 15 minutes between refills.
    gotta find that thread somebody had of a machine that autofilled the dry ice pot. I think it was an asian guy on these forums, maybe Lardarse did it? Was hilarious

Xtreme Member
    Dice and LN2 aren't useful for a 24/7 running time.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] gomeler View Post
    gotta find that thread somebody had of a machine that autofilled the dry ice pot. I think it was an asian guy on these forums, maybe Lardarse did it? Was hilarious
    Shamino?

http://forums.vr-zone.com/cooling-te...e-machine.html

Xtreme Enthusiast
    haha i was thinking about a way of making a 24/7 dry ice machine, something that can contain and dispense it......lol id love to try it would be amazing lol
    Quote Originally Posted by kinghong1970 View Post
    yea.. i need help... seriously......last time i went to the bathroom, it seems that the male has the pecker that pokes the female, right?

i'm confused...

Quote Originally Posted by lennox View Post
    holy cow do you really run 1/2" tubing without clamps? that's like banging a prostitute without a condom!
    Lian Li V2000B Special Water cut: DFI LanParty X48 LT T2R : Q6600 @3.21 ghtz : 2x Samsung Spinpoint F1 32mb cache 1tb HDD's : HD 4870x2 : 4GB domminator : Swiftech GTZ block : PA120.3 : DCC 18w res top : DCC 18w res top : EK FC 4870x2 :

Current Project:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=214295

Xtreme Addict
    You want to use dry ice on your pc to browse the net and use paint?

This isn't 1975, even the crappiest of computers from 5 years ago is more than enough rofl

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jowy Atreides View Post
    You want to use dry ice on your pc to browse the net and use paint?

This isn't 1975, even the crappiest of computers from 5 years ago is more than enough rofl
    Thats kinda what I was thinking. Maybe he thought the dry ice would overclock his typing skills too. Get that 30 page paper typed in 20 minutes.

take me to the manbar
    i would do a bench session on ln2 at 6ghz+ if it would finish my Java projects faster

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by freak11 View Post
    Hi,
    I am new to Dry ice cooling and wanted know if dry ice cooling can also be used for everyday tasks such as word or playing games or does the dry ice evaporate too quickly???

I am from the UK and also wanted to know where I can buy cheap dry ice. let me know. thanks.
    I was quoted Ł57 delivered by BOC for 10KG of 9mm pellets and thats pretty much the going rate from what I can tell
    The Blood Of 1000 Angels: AMD Phenom II X3 720 @ 3.8GHz with 4th Core Unlocked| DFI DK 790GX-M2RS|2X2GB G.Skill DDR2-1066 PK (F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK)| 2x Seagate 320GB 7200.12 In RAID-0| XFX 5850 XXX@ 1000/1200| CM Cosmos 1000| Samsung T240 1920x1200 CPU Cooling:IandH Stealthres 175| Swiftech 355 w/ XSPC Top| XSPC RS240|EK 5850 Copper and Acetal|XSPC RS360|Swiftech GTZ

Xtreme Member
    Even if you could retain the ice, the best you could hope for is a week. After that, its a gas.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitemarks666 View Post
    I was quoted Ł57 delivered by BOC for 10KG of 9mm pellets and thats pretty much the going rate from what I can tell
    Yes, that's quite expensive. In Poland we have DI for about 6-9PLN/kg, depends where to order (6,00 PLN = 1,3588 EUR = 1,9124 USD = 1,1634 GBP = 2,0712 CHF).

Quote Originally Posted by OggeOJ View Post
    Even if you could retain the ice, the best you could hope for is a week. After that, its a gas.
    After a week it would be gas if it was kept in foamed polystyrene box. At CPU 10kg would be used in about 10h as far as I know, so there is not way for everyday use.
    Q6600 P5K-E 8800GT G.Skill HZ 2x1GB Barracuda 7200.10 Corsair 520HX TT Tsunami

Xtreme Member
    He he...Very expensive...I think.

HWGurus
    I was looking for some thread, so I hope this is ok to post here...

20kg of dice is good for about how much benching? It will be only on i7 @ let say 5ghz