View Poll Results: Do you like my case design?

Voters
840. You may not vote on this poll

799 95.12%
  • Dislike

41 4.88%
Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast

Thread: Case Design for Liquid Cooling

Xtreme Enthusiast

System :- Gunmetal Antec P182 : Antec Quattro 850 : Asus P5E Deluxe : Intel Q9550 (E0) @ 4004MHz (8.5 x 471 FSB) 1.4 volts (VID: 1.3v) : 8Gb 1100 OCZ Gold XTC @ 942MHz 2.0 volts (5-5-5-15) : Gainward GTX 570 GS GLH (GPU: 800MHz, Shader: 1600MHz, Memory: 2000MHz) : 1x 128Gb Crucial RealSSD + Asus U3S6 (OS) : 1x 1Tb & 2x 500Gb Samsung Spinpoints (Storage) : Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)

Cooling : 4x Sharkoon Eagle 2000's (Case) : 3x Scythe Gentle Typhoons (R120-T rad) : 4x Scythe Gentle Typhoons (RS 240 rad in push-pull) : Akasa Fan Control Pro : Stepped Aquacomputer Cuplex XT di : EK FC5X0 GTX GW - Nickel (GTX 570) : Swiftech MCP355 : 1x XSPC R120-T : 1x XSPC RS 240 : XSPC Bay Reservoir : XSPC 1/2" Tubing : Blue Feser One Coolant

Check out my water-cooling case design:- Here & Here
    Find SketchUp Computer Components Here
    Download my case design SketchUp files from Here

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick64 View Post

I agree -- looks great!

Banned
    which way will the case be oriented? for example, open side door on which side to access pc's innards?

my CM Haf has it on the "left" side, my LL V1000 has it on the "right" side when viewing it from the front. your pictures seem to kind of contradict

Xtreme Member
    The mobo tray is removable and flippable so the "window" panel can be on whichever side you prefer.

Banned
    oh, i see! so im' guessing the rear panel would have to be able to flip 180 also to suit the rear of the MB

Xtreme Member
    I'd guess that the mobo tray will look similar to the TJ07 one in that the backplate is attached to the tray itself and can be flipped as a complete unit.

Xtreme Member
    the grill definately adds some extra polish to the interior look.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Can you lay out the tubing in this chassis? I'm wondering how you are routing it :P

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by LOUISSSSS View Post
    which way will the case be oriented? for example, open side door on which side to access pc's innards?

my CM Haf has it on the "left" side, my LL V1000 has it on the "right" side when viewing it from the front. your pictures seem to kind of contradict
    Marcos is correct, the motherboard tray can be flipped 180 degrees....

Quote Originally Posted by Brodholm View Post
    Can you lay out the tubing in this chassis? I'm wondering how you are routing it :P
    This depends on what pumps, reservoirs you're going to use, but you can get some idea from my avatar...
    System :- Gunmetal Antec P182 : Antec Quattro 850 : Asus P5E Deluxe : Intel Q9550 (E0) @ 4004MHz (8.5 x 471 FSB) 1.4 volts (VID: 1.3v) : 8Gb 1100 OCZ Gold XTC @ 942MHz 2.0 volts (5-5-5-15) : Gainward GTX 570 GS GLH (GPU: 800MHz, Shader: 1600MHz, Memory: 2000MHz) : 1x 128Gb Crucial RealSSD + Asus U3S6 (OS) : 1x 1Tb & 2x 500Gb Samsung Spinpoints (Storage) : Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)

Cooling : 4x Sharkoon Eagle 2000's (Case) : 3x Scythe Gentle Typhoons (R120-T rad) : 4x Scythe Gentle Typhoons (RS 240 rad in push-pull) : Akasa Fan Control Pro : Stepped Aquacomputer Cuplex XT di : EK FC5X0 GTX GW - Nickel (GTX 570) : Swiftech MCP355 : 1x XSPC R120-T : 1x XSPC RS 240 : XSPC Bay Reservoir : XSPC 1/2" Tubing : Blue Feser One Coolant

This has nothing to do with liquid cooling but, aesthetically it could use some linear structure to hold it all together. (im thinking chromed wire accents)

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moditir View Post
    This has nothing to do with liquid cooling but, aesthetically it could use some linear structure to hold it all together. (im thinking chromed wire accents)
    We're getting stylistic here, but I really have to disagree with you. Simplicity has a grace of its own. Some people like a Lian-Li or a Silverstone, some people like a CoolerMaster or a ThermalTake. I'm in the first camp; elegant simplicity all the way.

Xtreme Cruncher
    someone needs to just go ahead and make a few of these!!
    Nikon User
    Nikon D200 (Gone =( )/D300
    Nikkor 18-105mm(Gone) // Nikkor 50mm 1.8 // Nikkor 55-200VR(Gone)
    Tokina 12-24 // Tamron 90mm //
    Manfrotto & Benro Legs // Benro Ballhead.

Current Lust = 80-200 Or 70-200VR1 <--Pending

No more computer parts for me... Well for now until I
    really REALLY need to upgrade.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lazy View Post
    just a few?

Quote Originally Posted by moditir View Post
    no way man the case itself with the rounded squares and hex grills works perfectly. just imagine this case with chrome bits and clamps with some white liquid or neoprene tubing.
    Last edited by ryan92084; 05-24-2009 at 07:23 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by lazy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan92084 View Post
    just a few?
    Don't want to get my, or anyones hopes up, but there is a chance it might just happen.....

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Don't want to get my, or anyones hopes up, but there is a chance it might just happen.....
    MR
    Last edited by bentleya; 05-24-2009 at 08:54 AM.

Yes the glint of light that I have been waiting for as I watch this thread!! Awesome Mick, hope that is the case (pun intended)

Xtreme Member
    Great design, I very nearly almost had this identical case submitted to Ben for my own custom case im getting fabbed... In the end I found with the top/bottom rad positioning the case became way too long for my tastes, and I was worried about stability when the rad (and all the weight) is up so high with the case being very thin it could become tippy, also if a leak occurs anywhere in the loop, you have all that water *ABOVE* the components. Plus I wanted a Horizontal MOBO mount so I could add panel mount barbs around the edges as needed and minimize tubing mess. With a horizontal mount you literally have the ability to mount coolant inches away from the source to the destination... all hidden.

Anyways back on topic,

When designing the rad mounts I struggled with the fact of making a case *just* for one specific radiator, after some simple measurements I came up with a very simple mod to increase radiator compatibility/flexibility. Drill out the screw holes on the rad brackets so they are oval shaped as so:

This will allow me to slide the radiator back and forth up to an inch in either direction to allow:

-wider pumps/tubing/LCD screen..whatever
    -other brands of radiators with different hole spacing.

My design will fit up to and including any inline triple 140 or quad 120mm rad on the market, although a quad 120 would not line up *perfectly* the ends would stick over the edge of the bracket..however airflow would still be clean through the rad.

Cutting out your fan mounting holes would allow this case to accept any type of inline 120mm radiator..and add the flexibility to fine tune the radiator positioning as needed.
    Last edited by dsumanik; 05-24-2009 at 11:29 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by dsumanik View Post
    Great design, I very nearly almost had this identical case submitted to Ben for my own custom case im getting fabbed... In the end I found with the top/bottom rad positioning the case became way too long for my tastes, and I was worried about stability when the rad (and all the weight) is up so high with the case being very thin it could become tippy, also if a leak occurs anywhere in the loop, you have all that water *ABOVE* the components. Plus I wanted a Horizontal MOBO mount so I could add panel mount barbs around the edges as needed and minimize tubing mess. With a horizontal mount you literally have the ability to mount coolant inches away from the source to the destination... all hidden.

Anyways back on topic,

When designing the rad mounts I struggled with the fact of making a case *just* for one specific radiator, after some simple measurements I came up with a very simple mod to increase radiator compatibility/flexibility. Drill out the screw holes on the rad brackets so they are oval shaped as so:

This will allow me to slide the radiator back and forth up to an inch in either direction to allow:

My design will fit up to and including any inline triple 140 or quad 120mm rad on the market, although a quad 120 would not line up *perfectly* the ends would stick over the edge of the bracket..however airflow would still be clean through the rad.

Cutting out your fan mounting holes would allow this case to accept any type of inline 120mm radiator..and add the flexibility to fine tune the radiator positioning as needed.
    hmm...
    a 120mm fan spacing is:
    + 105mm + 15mm + 105mm + 15mm + 105mm +

a 140mm fan spacing is:
    + 120mm + 15mm + 120mm + 15mm + 120mm +

firstly, your bottom rad fitting, if fan mount hole is 105mm apart across, then how will it fit a 140mm rad which is 120mm apart?
    "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands in times challenge and controversy."
    Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

DIY: Self Clinching Nuts

Canon EOS 7D | Tokina 12-24mm f/4 | Canon EF 24-105 f/4 L | Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS Mk II | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4 L | Canon EF 400mm f/5.6 L | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4-5.6 L

Xtreme Enthusiast

'Snip'

Thanks for your input dsumanik. The idea of slotting the rad brackets has been brought up before, and I agree that this is a good idea and something that I do intend to include in my design to ensure that any 120mm rad can be used. I just haven't got around to adding that particular detail to my renders....

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kinghong1970 View Post
    hmm...
    a 120mm fan spacing is:
    + 105mm + 15mm + 105mm + 15mm + 105mm +

a 140mm fan spacing is:
    + 120mm + 15mm + 120mm + 15mm + 120mm +

firstly, your bottom rad fitting, if fan mount hole is 105mm apart across, then how will it fit a 140mm rad which is 120mm apart?
    120mm adapter plate to sit on top of the 140mm bracket

also Black ice 140mm rads are 20mm spacing, not 15mm, trust me I set it up so it will fit almost any inline rad on the market. (except quad 140mm)
    Last edited by dsumanik; 05-24-2009 at 12:30 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Don't want to get my, or anyones hopes up, but there is a chance it might just happen.....:up:
    No to be rude but..... DETAILS dang it, i have been waiting for this case for quite a bit now, my I7 setup is waiting on this case to be build,would like to have it done before I8(?) comes out.
    Ci7 Wimpy

Xtreme Enthusiast
    i hope its not late for a small suggestion:
    can you change the RAD bracket to something like this:
    http://www.chilledpc.co.uk/shop/imag...adbrackets.jpg
    so you could fit all kinds of RAD's (15mm or 25mm spacing) link:
    http://www.chilledpc.co.uk/shop/prod...oducts_id=1085

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hmm, The only thing i don't like about this chassis is the top rad. It will be disaster if it leeks. Thats why I'm thinking to go with one rad in the front and one in the bot. But that gives less 5.25 bays. Maybe Ill build something like yours or a near copy Haven decided yet.

In that case I will make a door on the chassis so I get a clean front and maybe change the location of the mic and usb to get it more convinient. You will have to bend down to plug in a usb or headphones. And wouldn't the top rad fill one of the reservoirs with water to the top? or will it level out when the pump starts? Because you want to have the same level on both reservoirs. And how are you planing on fill/drain ports?

Would you be able to fit EK250 reservoirs with ddc's in there if you use d-plugs? Because thats what I plan on using.

Xtreme Member
    ...also if a leak occurs anywhere in the loop, you have all that water *ABOVE* the components...
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodholm View Post
    Hmm, The only thing i don't like about this chassis is the top rad. It will be disaster if it leeks.
    Do you guys get leaking rads often? I've never had a rad leak that I didn't destroy myself (was on my first build, didn't realize screws weren't supposed to go all the way through the radiator).

Xtreme Addict
    W A N T S

A Case that can fit a 480 rad and a 360 rad with 38mm fans in push pull and fresh air for both without haivng to acquire the tools and skills to scratchbuild a case (or drain the bank account for a MM) would sure rock.
    Last edited by naokaji; 05-26-2009 at 03:01 PM.

Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 89101112131421 ... LastLast