Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Corrupt LINUX ACPI tables in BIOS

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by loonym View Post
    Maybe this is a dumb question but why wouldn't people that want to run a certain os simply use hardware that works with it? There are certainly enough options out there to satisfy everyone.
    Probably because the standard they are using to buy their equipment says it should work (ACPI is a standard).

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by loonym View Post
    Maybe this is a dumb question but why wouldn't people that want to run a certain os simply use hardware that works with it? There are certainly enough options out there to satisfy everyone.
    that would be possible if there were certification bubbles/stickers saying what was compatible but there shouldn't be a need to do that with every single piece of hardware, imo that would just be rediculous. its not time or money effective for every manufacturer to test every thing that gets made.

i've only been building my own pc's since '05 but the only issue i've had with compatability is my printer, it works fine with XP 32bit but theres no drivers for 64bit XP or any version of linux. while i was in college i was stuck keeping around a version of 32bit xp just so i could print lab reports and stuff. now that i'm done with school i ditched 32bit xp and am stuck with a printer that does me no good. once i get some money i'd rather spend it on hardware but instead will need to buy a new printer that has support for 64bit OSs'.
    XS WCG Rules: #1: don't pull fart_plume's finger #2: Dave aka Movieman, don't give him your phone number if you like your hearing
    XS WCG Note: There are 2 sets of points, WCG and Boinc. WCG = 7x Boinc

Project: Dark Matter (<- link) - Asus Maximus II Formula, Intel X3330 3.4ghz @1.32v under load, corsair ddr2 1066 8gigs, evga gtx260 core 216, pc p&c 750W, EK Supreme HF Nickel, iandh 175 res, Swiftech MCP355, Black Ice GTX G2 240, Lian Li v1200b

silverstone tj07 build log

Xtremely unstable
    Absolutely correct dragon. But I also don't buy hardware assuming it will work with XP64. That would just be foolish. I research first. By the same logic I don't install an os on a system unless I know that all the hardware is supported, I don't just blindly install, assuming it will be ok. That would be equally foolish.
    dx58so
    w3520@4100
    4x1gb corsair ddr3-1333
    gtx 295
    TR ultra-x, 2 scythe ultrakaze push/pull
    xclio stablepower 1000
    vista ultimate

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    -------------------------------

would you crunch if you thought it would save her life?

maybe it will!

Xtreme Cruncher
    As I said before I am vehemently opposed to using linux on my own hardware, and go to great lengths to get my clients to switch when I feel it meet their needs. That said, instead of getting all religeous about this, why not just protest with your wallet? Buy products from vendors who do support open standards. You arent going to change their minds about making hardware like this, its all about the market. And the market sways in favor of windows-centric hardware. Just dont buy the damn board. Spend your money elsewhere.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by 64dragon View Post
    imo, thats a lame excuse to stick with an OS, bc of a benchmark. there is a version of Pi for linux and my times are 7 seconds quicker. if 3dmark's got ported to linux i can't imagine how high new world record scores would be.
    lol sorry if im little bit addicted to benching.. but honestly that was a just a silly joke dude dont take stuff so seriously
    btw what super pi version are you talking about cos if thats true i could get my e8500 chip to 1.235s with it if it shaves 7 secs off hahahahah
    Evga X58 sli under cascade
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=219788
    Evga X58 Sli ultimate overclocking/ overview/ discussion thread
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=221082

proud owner of E8600 Q822A435

Xtreme crazy bastid
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    Probably because the standard they are using to buy their equipment says it should work (ACPI is a standard).
    Exactly. Foxconn claim that the board meets the ACPI standard when if fact it does not. Even the implementation for Vista has dodgy workarounds built in to cater for Microsoft's sloppy work. When the guy who found the issue queried Foxconn about it they said that it was fine because MS said it was fine.

Even then, if the board returned the same table to any OS it would still work ok, but it doesn't. The BIOS goes to particular lengths to identify a Linux based OS and then feeds it a separate, faulty table, which would never work in Windows either!

pwolfe, it's interesting you deliberately cost your customers more than necessary. Do you get kick-backs too? Or is a Linux based system just too hard for you to learn?

Linux might not be perfect for every situation out of the box, but neither is Windows. On the other hand, Linux IS perfect for some situation, while Windows never is.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Solarfall View Post
    lol sorry if im little bit addicted to benching.. but honestly that was a just a silly joke dude dont take stuff so seriously
    btw what super pi version are you talking about cos if thats true i could get my e8500 chip to 1.235s with it if it shaves 7 secs off hahahahah
    no worries, i knew you were joking.

im running an amd x2 and only run 64bit OSs' and comparing XP 64bit and kubuntu 8.04 64bit. i expect the time difference is less for intel's. heres where i got the info about linux pi from http://blog.linuxoss.com/2008/04/sup...your-computer/

screenshot in XP, 1M time = 34 seconds
    http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e9.../pc/1Mpi-1.jpg

screenshot in linux. computed pi while crunching and watching a movie ~1M time = 27 seconds
    http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e9...Mlinuxpi-1.jpg
    Last edited by 64dragon; 07-26-2008 at 03:13 PM.
    XS WCG Rules: #1: don't pull fart_plume's finger #2: Dave aka Movieman, don't give him your phone number if you like your hearing

Project: Dark Matter (<- link) - Asus Maximus II Formula, Intel X3330 3.4ghz @1.32v under load, corsair ddr2 1066 8gigs, evga gtx260 core 216, pc p&c 750W, EK Supreme HF Nickel, iandh 175 res, Swiftech MCP355, Black Ice GTX G2 240, Lian Li v1200b

Back from the Dead
    Funny, I get great results running Pi on XP x64
    Never tried benching with Linux though...
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

Xtreme Cruncher

pwolfe, it's interesting you deliberately cost your customers more than necessary. Do you get kick-backs too? Or is a Linux based system just too hard for you to learn?

Linux might not be perfect for every situation out of the box, but neither is Windows. On the other hand, Linux IS perfect for some situation, while Windows never is.
    you totally misunderstood me. I said that I offer them linux when I feel it meets their needs. If they require special software, mostly practice management apps, I keep them on windows. But for users that are solely emailing and editing office documents, I do my best to migrate them to linux. I fail to see how I am deliberately costing my customers more. And if you had read my post you would see I mentioned being a linux user for the past 9 years. A very happy one at that. Granted I'm sure I still have plenty to learn, but I find your post rather aggressive and I dont see why...

Xtreme crazy bastid
    Quote Originally Posted by pwolfe View Post
    As I said before I am vehemently opposed to using linux on my own hardware, and go to great lengths to get my clients to switch when I feel it meet their needs. That said, instead of getting all religeous about this, why not just protest with your wallet? Buy products from vendors who do support open standards. You arent going to change their minds about making hardware like this, its all about the market. And the market sways in favor of windows-centric hardware. Just dont buy the damn board. Spend your money elsewhere.
    I don't think I misunderstood you at all. If the above is not what you meant perhaps you should have said something different.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Cruncher
    Switching the 'and' for a 'but' in the highlighted sentence would have made it clearer....but I understood what he meant DA
    DC Prostitute - Crunching In Memory of My Dad

Xtreme crazy bastid
    I'm sorry, Ady, but I fail to see how being "vehemently opposed to using linux" on his own machines and being a "linux user for 9 years" constitutes congruent comments. One or the other is an outright lie. This is just another Microsoft fanboy that can't keep his story straight.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Cruncher
    Chill Dude - come over to BBF and talk poop
    DC Prostitute - Crunching In Memory of My Dad

Xtreme Cruncher
    Chill indeed, the whole Linux versus Microsoft mudslinging gets old extremely quick. As much of a problem Microsoft's monopolistic actions are, I still absolutely can't stand the actions of vocal overzealous Linux/FOSS fanboys along with those flocking in absolute support without having a clue(not talking about you specifically)...

Personally I enjoy using the different *nix variants(more fun of an environment than Windows), but I do realize that other OSes have their place too... Granted at work I still don't see how IBM i (aka. I5/OS) really makes much sense when it was originally designed to make things easy for the operator

Back OT:
    Well, it looks like at least one Foxconn employee places the blame on it just being a bug, but I guess we'll have to wait until Monday for the official response. It's possible that the ACPI implementation was written by a group not so knowledgeable, at least according to the Foxconn employee in that thread, I wouldn't be surprised.

The part that gets me is Foxconn is being accused of specifically looking for Linux in a different manner, when the person in this post showed code from his ASUS board that's the exact same. While other motives "could" be in play here, I don't see why a motherboard manufacturer would try to limit their market.

Xtreme Cruncher
    D_A. I just read over my own posts after reading yours and realized the error of my previous posts. please, please replace the linux with windows in that last post. I've been bbq'ing all day with the wife and have been having a few drinks in between. I really meant to say vehemently opposed to using windows on my own hardware. i really don't want to get confrontational with you in this thread because as a linux user I totally understand your anger on this issue. And I realize that my typo makes me look like an absolute tool. In a perfect world I would love to see all hardware vendors embrace open platforms, but the fact of the matter is that is not the state of technology. Give it a few more years and we might be there, sorry for the misconceptions, I'm with you on this issue, I was just trying to get you to realize that its a losing battle to think we can have some effect on hardware vendors as single users...its gonna take a much larger market share to drive foxconn from from practices such as mentioned in the op.

Again man, please forgive the previous typos, I'm not the ass I made myself appear to be in that post; just clicked reply before the proofread.

Xtreme crazy bastid
    Ya know what ... fair enough. I've had some time to cool off and would very much like this whole angry thing to be finished. I've got enough stress in my life right now without making more for myself.

Let's just call it beer o'clock and be done with it.

I just noticed your avatar ... cat hair is a bugger of a thing to clean out of your mouse and keyboard, innit.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme crazy bastid

Foxconn BIOS fiasco whistle blower silenced by Ubuntu Admin

I logged in to check for updates on the drama and noticed that "TheAlmightyCthulhu" had lost his avatar and his user title was somewhat uncomplimentary. I also discovered that my own user title is now "spilled the beans".

It seems that a particular admin has had it in for Ryan (TheAlmightyCthulhu) and has been looking for a way to get at him. It looks like he found something he could ponce up and use, too.

Ryan's side of the story here

As yet there's nothing from Ubuntu forum Admin.

This smacks of politics to me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtremely unstable
    Everything in this life except my little corner of the woods here smacks of politics and sometimes it even creeps in here.
    dx58so
    w3520@4100
    4x1gb corsair ddr3-1333
    gtx 295
    TR ultra-x, 2 scythe ultrakaze push/pull
    xclio stablepower 1000
    vista ultimate

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    -------------------------------

would you crunch if you thought it would save her life?

maybe it will!

Wuf
    Linux is very good OS for spi benching actually
    I benched 200Mhz higher clocks than with windows, didn't crash on boot

Only problem is than there is no validatable spi program or cpuz clone :/
    You use IRC and Crunch in Xs WCG team? Join #xs.wcg @ Quakenet
    [22:53:09] [@Jaco-XS] i'm gonna overclock this damn box!
    Ze gear:
    Main rig: W3520 + 12GB ddr3 + Gigabyte X58A-UD3R rev2.0! + HD7970 + HD6350 DMS59 + HX520 + 2x X25-E 32gig R0 + Bunch of HDDs.
    ESXI: Dell C6100 XS23-TY3 Node - 1x L5630 + 24GB ECC REG + Brocade 1020 10GbE
    ZFS Server: Supermicro 826E1 + Supermicro X8DAH+-F + 1x L5630 + 24GB ECC REG + 10x 3TB HDDs + Brocade 1020 10GbE
    Lappy!: Lenovo Thinkpad W500: T9600 + 8GB + FireGL v5700 + 128GB Samsung 830 + 320GB 2.5" in ze dvd slot + 1920x1200 @ 15.4"

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D_A View Post
    Read the article, fanboy. The BIOS directs Linux to a DIFFERENT TABLE than it does Windows. It does not use the same ACPI tables for both and goes to some lengths to make sure of it.
    Little immature to be calling people names aren't we...

considering the amount of motherboards foxconn makes, has a part in (foxconn makes dell motherboards and they sell them with linux...)

This looks like a large over step for foxconn, considering the size of the company and what they do, i dont see them purposely blocking out linux market either way, not that it would damage their sales anyways since they are so huge and have their foot in everything.

that is personal opinion, giving someone linux who has used windows their entire life is not the perfect situation or answer. Giving someone linux who has to work with Access Databases - is not, that is a perfect situation for windows.... the list can go on and on back and forth for BOTH side, neither OS is perfect , as you said, only in some situations and yes, both OS's are perfect in their own situations. but obviously not all.

Foxconn said they are going to be fixing this, so as said, they fix it, i guess they told MS to go shove it, since apparently this was all some big Foxconn in MS pocket fiasco...
    Last edited by Mr.Guvernment; 07-27-2008 at 08:01 AM.
    |Rig|Sold my monster, stuck on a Q8200 and 9500Gt with 4G of ram.

Quote Originally Posted by
    Originally Posted by jimmyz
    This chip is gonna stop piracy like condoms prevented unwanted pregnancies and STD's.

Xtreme Legend
    Guys, this debate is going nowhere and it really has little to do with WCG. I think everyone has gotten their points across. It's time to move on.
    Audentes fortuna iuvat

"Fortune favors the bold"

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by s0lid View Post
    Only problem is than there is no validatable spi program or cpuz clone :/
    actually, there is a cpuz like app, i just read about it the other day. its called Perlmon.
    heres a link
    http://www.overclock.net/linux-unix/...ram-linux.html

sorry SB for continuing the thread, didn't read all the posts

Wuf
    Quote Originally Posted by 64dragon View Post
    actually, there is a cpuz like app, i just read about it the other day. its called Perlmon.
    heres a link
    http://www.overclock.net/linux-unix/...ram-linux.html

sorry SB for continuing the thread, didn't read all the posts
    Gets just better and better
    You use IRC and Crunch in Xs WCG team? Join #xs.wcg @ Quakenet
    [22:53:09] [@Jaco-XS] i'm gonna overclock this damn box!
    Ze gear:
    Main rig: W3520 + 12GB ddr3 + Gigabyte X58A-UD3R rev2.0! + HD7970 + HD6350 DMS59 + HX520 + 2x X25-E 32gig R0 + Bunch of HDDs.
    ESXI: Dell C6100 XS23-TY3 Node - 1x L5630 + 24GB ECC REG + Brocade 1020 10GbE
    ZFS Server: Supermicro 826E1 + Supermicro X8DAH+-F + 1x L5630 + 24GB ECC REG + 10x 3TB HDDs + Brocade 1020 10GbE
    Lappy!: Lenovo Thinkpad W500: T9600 + 8GB + FireGL v5700 + 128GB Samsung 830 + 320GB 2.5" in ze dvd slot + 1920x1200 @ 15.4"

I'm with Sierra on this. This has nothing to do specifically with WCG. Lets also be nice.

c[_]
    I wonder if Foxconn really wrote that bit of code? Now that it has showed up in an Asus board and a Foxconn board maybe someone else wrote it and gave it out as part of an ACPI access kit?

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast