Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Our good friend David Baker...

No Too Xtreme

Our good friend David Baker...

Is back in the news.

http://www.kurzweilai.net/news/frame...?id%3D8637

Moved from WCG section
    Movieman
    Last edited by Movieman; 05-12-2008 at 09:50 AM.
    Hey, You! Know anyone that died of Cancer or Aids? Do something about it. Crunch for World Community Grid. Join Xtreme Systems in helping fight the most important war in human history. The war on disease. WCG needs YOU!

World Community Grid Registration

HARD CRUNCHER!!
    I read the article a bit, but why is he our friend?
    Quote Originally Posted by mike047 View Post
    CRUNCH HARD, it may not help me and you, but it might help the Kids.

Xtreme Legend
    He's being sarcastic. Movieman can tell you how much he loves Mr. Baker.
    Audentes fortuna iuvat

"Fortune favors the bold"

version 2.0
    That pr**k is the main reason we left Rosetta@home

Now you better go change the topic before Movieman sees that
    (or he might have a heartattack)

HARD CRUNCHER!!
    Ok, enough said, I was thinking right then. Thanks for the clarification.
    Quote Originally Posted by mike047 View Post
    CRUNCH HARD, it may not help me and you, but it might help the Kids.

D.F.I Pimp Daddy
    Quote Originally Posted by sierra_bound View Post
    He's being sarcastic. Movieman can tell you how much he loves Mr. Baker.

SuperMicro X8SAX
    Xeon 5620
    12GB - Crucial ECC DDR3 1333
    Intel 520 180GB Cherryville
    Areca 1231ML ~ 2~ 250GB Seagate ES.2 ~ Raid 0 ~ 4~ Hitachi 5K3000 2TB ~ Raid 6 ~

Baker is a ........ Pr@ck!
    Last edited by [XC] riptide; 05-09-2008 at 09:44 AM.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] riptide View Post
    Baker is a Phucken Pr@ck!
    Now lets be nice..
    You can leave out the highlighted word and still describe the gentleman..
    The guy is very smart but just doesn't have any people skills. That simple.
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Now lets be nice..
    You can leave out the highlighted word and still describe the gentleman..
    The guy is very smart but just doesn't have any people skills. That simple.
    Fixed.....

Dave. people skills? I can't find the link. but I've said this before. Theres a video out there on the great tubes and boxes we call the internet, where he gives a lecture about that project and refers demeaningly to the volunteer crunchers (ie US) as children, and laughs and jokes about the idea that we have to satisfy the children and pretty much pi$$ed me off.!

People skills? Bahaaah.

I am Xtreme
    <raises hand.............umm who is he?
    fermiNow Dave will see FERMI where ever I go
    Quote Originally Posted by jbartlett323 View Post
    So please return to the "Darkside of the Moon" and check your "Pulse" while you wait for the "Animals" that will be "Obscured By Clouds". And watch me wave as I say "Wish You Were Here" in "A Momentary Lapse of Reason"

Quote Originally Posted by phelan1777 View Post
    <raises hand.............umm who is he?

Hes the :banana::banana::banana: on the left. He runs the Rosetta@Home Project. A good project by all accounts and very successfull with the annual CASP protein project. I think we run Rosetta WU's also on WCG on one of them projects.

He's just a fool and pandered up to the jealous people with P3's, and those who crunched SETI. he also, critically, refused point blank to declare that we weren't cheaters. And he had many oppurtunities to do so.

So Mr. DDTUNG and the rest of us decided to give him the proverbial two fingers and moved away from Rosetta.

There are still people who crunch Rosetta for XS and I respect that decision. And I've also defended the idea of berating Baker in the Rosetta XS subforum as I beleived it to be unfair to the current members there, some of whom are also on this WCG team.

I am Xtreme
    hmmm it seems to me, that if he has to bother to pay attention to the issue of "cheating", why because someone may produce more points then he?

Then, maybe his focus is misdirected?
    fermiNow Dave will see FERMI where ever I go
    Quote Originally Posted by jbartlett323 View Post
    So please return to the "Darkside of the Moon" and check your "Pulse" while you wait for the "Animals" that will be "Obscured By Clouds". And watch me wave as I say "Wish You Were Here" in "A Momentary Lapse of Reason"

No Too Xtreme
    Fixed.....

Dave. people skills? I can't find the link. but I've said this before. Theres a video out there on the great tubes and boxes we call the internet, where he gives a lecture about that project and refers demeaningly to the volunteer crunchers (ie US) as children, and laughs and jokes about the idea that we have to satisfy the children and pretty much pi$$ed me off.!

People skills? Bahaaah.

Here is the video:

Hey, You! Know anyone that died of Cancer or Aids? Do something about it. Crunch for World Community Grid. Join Xtreme Systems in helping fight the most important war in human history. The war on disease. WCG needs YOU!

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Fixed.....

People skills? Bahaaah.
    I may still have that video and if memory serves me it was Rob Smura that sent me the link.
    Yes, his "children".. Insulting at the least.
    Just another example of someone who lives a sheltered life who is clueless as to what the real world is.
    Trust me, my BP is much better since we left there and if I ever happenned to meet this pr*ck I'd probably introduce him to my right hand just one time.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by RSmura View Post
    Here is the video:

What a scum bag. He even uses an Apple?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    I may still have that video and if memory serves me it was Rob Smura that sent me the link.
    Yes, his "children".. Insulting at the least.
    Just another example of someone who lives a sheltered life who is clueless as to what the real world is.
    Trust me, my BP is much better since we left there and if I ever happenned to meet this pr*ck I'd probably introduce him to my right hand just one time.
    you were too slow!

No Too Xtreme
    What a scum bag. He even uses an Apple?
    Would that make him a mac-pric?

Watching this video gave me a different feeling than you guys... Probably because I'm a french speaker, but the "needy children" thing did not bother me much... What bothers me is more the whole video : he's talking to other scientists about us, like if we knew nothing about what we are doing... Like : "It's so funny to see people begging to help science, they are dumb people who just can't achieve the intelligence level that we have, but we said 'OK, you can participate by giving your CPU cycles'... and guess what : they ate that, the whole thing, so we get more computers for free than what we could ever buy!!!"

I feel like if the other scientists were as geek (is it the right word?) as him, they would have started to laugh near the end of the video.... but no, seems like the audience respect us, and they didn't fell into the joke Baker was telling with a smile...
    Archetype450

---------------------------------------
    Cruncher 1 : P4 2.800 GHz @ 2.870 GHz:1280 Mb DDR400(@410) :: Crunching at home!
    Cruncher 2 : P3 0.866 GHz @ 0.942 GHz: 640 Mb SDR133(@145) :: Crunching at home!
    Cruncher 3 : XP 1.500 GHz @ 1.500 GHz: 256 Mb DDR333(@333) :: Crunching at home!
    Cruncher 4 : P4 3.400 GHz @ 3.400 GHz:2048 Mb DDR400(@400) :: Crunching at work!
    Cruncher 5 : P4 3.000 GHz @ 3.000 GHz: 512 Mb DDR400(@400) :: Crunching at work!
    Cruncher 6 : P4 3.600 GHz @ 3.600 GHz:2048 Mb DDR400(@400) :: Crunching at work!
    Cruncher 7 : P4 2.800 GHz @ 3.200 GHz: 512 Mb DDR400(@400) :: Crunching at work!

---------------------------------------
    Ultimate Goal : Eco-Crunching !!

Mr. Boardburner
    Quote Originally Posted by RSmura View Post
    Would that make him a mac-pric?
    He sure looks like one
    Main rig:
    CPU: I7 920C0 @ 3.6Ghz (180*20)
    Mobo: DFI UT X58 T3eH8
    RAM: 12GB OCZ DDR3-1600 Platinum
    GPU/LCD: GeForce GTX280 + GeForce 8600GTS (Quad LCDs)
    Intel X25-M G2 80GB, 12TB storage
    PSU/Case: Corsair AX850, Silverstone TJ07

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Archetype450 View Post
    Watching this video gave me a different feeling than you guys... Probably because I'm a french speaker, but the "needy children" thing did not bother me much... What bothers me is more the whole video : he's talking to other scientists about us, like if we knew nothing about what we are doing... Like : "It's so funny to see people begging to help science, they are dumb people who just can't achieve the intelligence level that we have, but we said 'OK, you can participate by giving your CPU cycles'... and guess what : they ate that, the whole thing, so we get more computers for free than what we could ever buy!!!"

I feel like if the other scientists were as geek (is it the right word?) as him, they would have started to laugh near the end of the video.... but no, seems like the audience respect us, and they didn't fell into the joke Baker was telling with a smile...
    I agree that is how I felt when this all happened.

no sleep, always tired TheGoat Eater's Avatar
    I agree with you on this - did seem like the audience didn't agree with him... GEEK is the right word but in the context you would use a y at the end so he was "geeky" (what is that... a (past-tense) adjective as in you could also use slimy, greasy,a-holey) ... as you can tell I like grammar but as I type I don't always do a good job

Xtreme Cruncher
    I remember the guy and the bs. He lacks a bit more than people skills. Don't think anyone cried when the Teddies left either.

Hamster Powered
    If someone as honorable as DDTUNG felt slighted by this man that is proof enough for me.

But I would prefer to call Mr. Baker a....Crapweasel!
    XSWCG Disclaimer:
    We are not responsible for the large sums of money that you WILL want to spend to upgrade and add additional equipment. This is an addiction and the forum takes no responsibility morally or financially for the equipment and therapy cost. Thank you and have a great day.

Sigmund Freud said... "Failure to CRUNCH is a sign of Sexual Inadequacies".

V3 Xeons coming soon!

Very well said.
    There is a distain for the "people" that he needs to accomplish his work.
    Now in that way of thinking should I look down on someone who doesn't have the talents that I do? Of course not. We all have our areas of expertise, areas that we know a little about and areas where we are clueless.
    It doesn't make one person better than the other only different in their knowledge base.
    This is where he shows himself to be a very "small" person despite his intelligence level. It takes more than that to make a well rounded person.
    One other thing that he just truly missed is that the people who come to help on projects are usually what I'd describe as very "giving" people.
    The ones that I call "good hearts"
    This is really a major flaw in his character and in the long run is his loss as he loses the interaction with some very good people.

Xtreme Cruncher
    ick he uses a mac. he's a horrible public speaker, from that video i dont perceive him as "smart" or educated. he seems like a cheap skate, he used the SETI program for rosetta, because he couldn't create his own program? and from RSmura's link in original post, he created a game so other people could do his work and find a new protien structure?

i say we stamp reject on his forehead and push him in front of a heavy moving object (bus, train...)
    XS WCG Rules: #1: don't pull fart_plume's finger #2: Dave aka Movieman, don't give him your phone number if you like your hearing
    XS WCG Note: There are 2 sets of points, WCG and Boinc. WCG = 7x Boinc

Project: Dark Matter (<- link) - Asus Maximus II Formula, Intel X3330 3.4ghz @1.32v under load, corsair ddr2 1066 8gigs, evga gtx260 core 216, pc p&c 750W, EK Supreme HF Nickel, iandh 175 res, Swiftech MCP355, Black Ice GTX G2 240, Lian Li v1200b

silverstone tj07 build log

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast