Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: Official AMD Barcelona Thread

Xtreme Addict
    I want a K10 CPU!
    FX8350 @ 4.0Ghz | 32GB @ DDR3-1200 4-4-4-12 | Asus 990FXA @ 1400Mhz | AMD HD5870 Eyefinity | XFX750W | 6 x 128GB Sandisk Extreme RAID0 @ Aerca 1882ix with 4GB DRAM
    eXceed TJ07 worklog/build

Xtreme Member
    Have they decided on what socket k10 is going to be? Or have I missed something along the way?
    Codename [GOLIATH] - Lian-Li G70B
    Loop 1 [D-Tek Fuzion - PA120.3 - 3xSan Ace 1011 - DDC2 w/Petra's top] Loop 2 [MCW60 - EK ASUS NB 5 - EK ASUS 4 SB - BI GTX240 - 2xSan Ace 1011- D5]
    ASUS Maximus Formula - 8GB OCZ REAPER DDR2-8500 - Q6600 - EVGA GTX260 core 216 55nm - Silverstone ST75F
    Codename [Black-Dragon] - Lian-Li PC65B
    Loop [Dangerden TDX - BI GT240 Stealth - 2xYate loon SL - D5]
    DFI NF4 Ultra-D - 2GB Teamgroup Croonus(5BF)@260MHZ - Opteron 165 CCBBE0616XPMW@2.88 GHZ- ATI X1900xt - Corsair HX520

Xtreme Cruncher
    It would be really sad if Intel 45nm benchies are out before AMD 65nm K10 They said someone might leak 'um in April and now it's May 5th
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580
    Assume nothing; Question everything

Xtreme Monster
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunlance View Post
    Have they decided on what socket k10 is going to be? Or have I missed something along the way?
    Well they said is going to be AM2+, AM3 and Socket 1207, but they can change their minds anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingcarcas View Post
    It would be really sad if Intel 45nm benchies are out before AMD 65nm K10 They said someone might leak 'um in April and now it's May 5th
    Fudzilla did leak something for the April fool's day.
    Last edited by Metroid; 05-05-2007 at 05:29 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingcarcas View Post
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...oc.aspx?i=2972
    Did you miss that or are looking for "real" benches?

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/31804/135/
    We also expect the NDAs also to apply to the press, which means that first real-world Penryn benchmarks are likely to be published on July 15.

Xtreme Guru
    i cant believe im still seeing that god forsaken Socket AM2 on amd's future processors charts

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Spawne32 View Post
    i cant believe im still seeing that god forsaken Socket AM2 on amd's future processors charts
    I'm going to wait for AM2+ for my K10 and will use DDR2 memory. Don't need any of that DDR3 stuff yet.........
    FX8350 @ 4.0Ghz | 32GB @ DDR3-1200 4-4-4-12 | Asus 990FXA @ 1400Mhz | AMD HD5870 Eyefinity | XFX750W | 6 x 128GB Sandisk Extreme RAID0 @ Aerca 1882ix with 4GB DRAM
    eXceed TJ07 worklog/build

What a hobby..Always something new

LL V1000B > Asus Rampage lll > Intel 965xx >3x2 Gskill >OCZ SSD 120g > 2x640g wd > ATI 5870 > Corsair 850 HX

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Metroid View Post
    Well they said is going to be AM2+, AM3 and Socket 1207, but they can change their minds anyway.
    Let me see how compliceated this is.

AM2 = AMD Sockett for chips that support DDR2
    AM2+ = AMD Sockett for chips that support DDR2, + being added like something they use to do before when they put words like Turbo or Plus. In this case + on the end stands for a DDR2 supporting chip plus HTT 3.0 support.

AM3 = AMD Sockett for chips that support DDR3
    AM3+ = AMD Sockett for chips that support DDR3 but have some updated feature that older generation of chips that used the same sockett didnt have. New motherboards that still feature same physicall sockett to be distincty different from older motherboards have to carry a new sockett name to show that they support new generation of cpu's.

Sockett 1207 is the server equivalent of the the AMx socketts. AMD keeps server chips in same socketts so that upgrading dose not requier new motherboard, one selling point for the "Barcelona" is that it can be put into current motherboard.

CPU's being pin compatibe within chip generation (i.e AM2 and AM2+) you can put any AM2 supporting, be it a HTT1.0 or HTT3.0 supporting chip will fit in all motherboards, only there is little reason why anyone would put HTT1.0 chip in a new HTT3.0 supporting motherboard.

Now AMD has not changed anything when it comes to what they will call AM2 sockette or AM3 or what they will be for. Sure we heard rumours what such named socketts names might be but AMD didnt tell us them selfs so they never changed thier mind about anything.

So tell me whats so confusing or changing about AMD sockett naming scheme's.

Quote Originally Posted by Spawne32 View Post
    Some of the future chips will only support HTT1.0 links so there is no reason why anyone would use a AM2+ motherboard for a HTT1.0 chip, especally since AM2 sockett motherboard will be cheaper reason why HTT1.0 features on cheapers chips.
    Last edited by Syn.; 05-07-2007 at 02:12 PM.
    TAMGc5: PhII X4 945, Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD3P, 2x Kingston PC2-6400 HyperX CL4 2GB, 2x ASUS HD 5770 CUcore Xfire, Razer Barracuda AC1, Win8 Pro x64 (Current)

TAMGc6: AMD FX, Gigabyte GA-xxxx-UDx, 8GB/16GB DDR3, Nvidia 680 GTX, ASUS Xonar, 2x 120/160GB SSD, 1x WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6Gb/s, Win8 Pro x64 (Planned)

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn. View Post
    Let me see how compliceated this is.

AM2 = AMD Sockett for chips that support DDR2
    AM2+ = AMD Sockett for chips that support DDR2, + being added like something they use to do before when they put words like Turbo or Plus. In this case + on the end stands for a DDR2 supporting chip plus HTT 3.0 support.

AM3 = AMD Sockett for chips that support DDR3
    AM3+ = AMD Sockett for chips that support DDR3 but have some updated feature that older generation of chips that used the same sockett didnt have. New motherboards that still feature same physicall sockett to be distincty different from older motherboards have to carry a new sockett name to show that they support new generation of cpu's.

Sockett 1207 is the server equivalent of the the AMx socketts. AMD keeps server chips in same socketts so that upgrading dose not requier new motherboard, one selling point for the "Barcelona" is that it can be put into current motherboard.

CPU's being pin compatibe within chip generation (i.e AM2 and AM2+) you can put any AM2 supporting, be it a HTT1.0 or HTT3.0 supporting chip will fit in all motherboards, only there is little reason why anyone would put HTT1.0 chip in a new HTT3.0 supporting motherboard.

Now AMD has not changed anything when it comes to what they will call AM2 sockette or AM3 or what they will be for. Sure we heard rumours what such named socketts names might be but AMD didnt tell us them selfs so they never changed thier mind about anything.

So tell me whats so confusing or changing about AMD sockett naming scheme's.
    Your missing his point. He's simply noting what sockets the Barcelona variants will support. The naming scheme has absolutely nothing to do with it; if anything, he is simply saying that the supported sockets might change, aka. no more AM2, only AM2+ and beyond.

Xtreme Mentor
    Hmmm.... I can allready smell it!
    And I hope it's not AMD screwing their new hope on the motherboard front that I smell.
    That would be sad. I hope they have ALL the gremlins worked ou when they release them (maybe they should to a mobo soft launch next month, just to hype up). Hope they're focusing not just on K10 as a cpu...
    Quote Originally Posted by LexDiamonds View Post
    Anti-Virus software is for n00bs.

naokaji
    Quote Originally Posted by xVeinx View Post
    Your missing his point. He's simply noting what sockets the Barcelona variants will support. The naming scheme has absolutely nothing to do with it; if anything, he is simply saying that the supported sockets might change, aka. no more AM2, only AM2+ and beyond.
    compability with socket am2 will be one thing... the performance difference of one and the same cpu in a am2 vs. am2+ will be another and remains yet to be seen....

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by xVeinx View Post
    I thought i was clear. AM2 is same as AM2+ just no HTT3.0.

Low-end chips which would go into low end motherboards will not need as much as bandwidth as top end. Therefore there is no reasony why low end chips should have HTT3.0 links which would make them cost more.

AM2 will still exist, hence the reason why its still on roadmap, together with AM2+ because they are one and the same. So my point being until AMD sees that thier low end chips are being heavly crippled by lack of bandwidth they will keep the HTT1.0 links in which would continue the support for AM2 sockett. So really the naming scheme has alot to do with it because AM2 is made for mass market consumers not hardware the likes of hardware builders that have Sockett 1207.

Did i mention that AM2 and AM2+ are the same sockett?
    TAMGc5: PhII X4 945, Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD3P, 2x Kingston PC2-6400 HyperX CL4 2GB, 2x ASUS HD 5770 CUcore Xfire, Razer Barracuda AC1, Win8 Pro x64 (Current)

TAMGc6: AMD FX, Gigabyte GA-xxxx-UDx, 8GB/16GB DDR3, Nvidia 680 GTX, ASUS Xonar, 2x 120/160GB SSD, 1x WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6Gb/s, Win8 Pro x64 (Planned)

will barcelona quad fit in am2 board?
    i7 3610QM 1.2-3.2GHz

Xtreme Legend
    DROOL time to tone down on Intel CPU purchases i think
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

i spose am2+ if you dont already have an am2 boardy...??
    Last edited by adamsleath; 05-07-2007 at 07:07 PM.
    i7 3610QM 1.2-3.2GHz

Xtreme Member
    damned,just as i bit the bullet about my purchase this news-item appears...Again though choices
    Quote Originally Posted by verndewd View Post
    Then we devise an nda breaking method that reroutes the broken nda from china and points to a pig name zhiang in a mud pit in hubei farmlands. The pig would have to have no owner.

This can be done.
    SPECS:TT Kandalf LCS Case,Asus P5K Deluxe mobo,Intel Q600 CPU,XFX 8800Ultra,Samsung 500Gb HD,Gskill PC6400 ghz memory,Nec DVD-Writer,Creative Xfi Xtreme Music, Corsair HX620Logitech:G15 keyboard,MX518 mouse and Z-5450 Speakers

Xtreme Member
    I thought i was clear. AM2 is same as AM2+ just no HTT3.0.
    AM2+ also supports split power planes and individual management of the memory channels. On AM2 boards they have to operate in lockstep, even though K10 features two independent address/command units.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by adamsleath View Post
    will barcelona quad fit in am2 board?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by _damien_ View Post
    AM2+ also supports split power planes and individual management of the memory channels. On AM2 boards they have to operate in lockstep, even though K10 features two independent address/command units.
    I am not sure about that one, sounds like it has more to do with motherboards BIOS then the sockett it self. I guess it will be true but only because motherboards didnt have that feature as K8's dont have them, maybe if anyone makes a AM2 mobo that supports fully K10 they might have these features. But as i said before when K10 comes out AM2 mobo's will be budget mobo's for K8's and low end K10's so dont expect too much from them.

So you guys think we can expect a (probably smallish) across the board AMD price cut in June for the A64s and Opties to coincide with the launch?

Xtreme Member
    I am not sure about that one, sounds like it has more to do with motherboards BIOS then the sockett it self. I guess it will be true but only because motherboards didnt have that feature as K8's dont have them, maybe if anyone makes a AM2 mobo that supports fully K10 they might have these features. But as i said before when K10 comes out AM2 mobo's will be budget mobo's for K8's and low end K10's so dont expect too much from them.
    You could be right, but I trust the source, and based on my interpretation of AMD's tech docs I also think it makes sense.
    The integrated memory controller (IMC) will get a few new features in the K10 core. When utilizing multiple memory modules, along with proper BIOS implementation and mainboard routing, the IMC can access memory in 64-bit channels (72-bit if you use ECC). This way it is possible to read and write data simultaneously, or improve efficiency for irregular access patterns which increasingly occur in a quad-core environment. This feature is available on AM2+ and F+ boards; on "old“ socket AM2 and F boards the usual 128-bit dual-channel mode is available.
    http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=6918

While any K8 CPU has one single IMC, they are equipped with two sets of address and control pins to accommodate loading. So the IMC uses different pins to communicate with each channel, even though identical addresses/commands are sent (the channels are always accessed in parallel). So I find it likely that there is a connection between these pins and mobo traces that somehow prevents K10's two controllers from performing channel interleaving on current AM2 boards. The attached figure shows the pinout of current systems. Notice that there are two (redundant) copies of the following pins: address, bank, RAS, CAS, Write Enable. The presence of a second channel doesn't make it absolutely necessary to implement additional copies of the address and control pins (but OTOH pins used for data, strobes, clock signals and data masking are a different story). In addition, the fact that it'll only take a BIOS update to make AM2 boards forward compatible suggests that channel interleaving is *physically* impossible on AM2 boards. The pin-count of AM2+ remains the same, which leads me to believe that they use the "same pins", only with slightly different layout.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	K8_IMC.png 
Views:	360 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	58716  

Xtreme Addict
    sAM2 - Supports all chips that have 940pins and use DDR2

sAM2+ - Supports all chips that have 950pins and use DDR2. It also supports split power planes(allows you to set different voltages, 1 setting for the cores, 1 for the IMC), and HT3.0. K10's will utilize these 2 extra features, K8's will not.

s1207 - supports all lga1207 chips

sG - supports all lga1207 chips, as well as the split power planes and HT3.0

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=39445
    now, the inq seems to think AM2+ wasn't supposed to have HT3.0 but now will, but I always thought it would

also, they say the new server socket is called "g", instead of s1207+

either way, as has been known for quite some time now, the sockets are both forward and backward compatible. It's also thought that sAM3 chips will work in AM2/+ sockets because the memory controller supports both DDR2 and DDR3, but AM2/+ chips WON'T work in sAM3 since they don't have a DDR3 controller
    Athlon XP-M 2500+ 0343MPMW The King is Dead!
    Phenom II X6 1090T 1025GPMW Long Live the King!

-------------------------------------------
    I'm from the church of the operating room

Xtreme Member
    in deed the new's phenoms can't be pushed on the Am2 actual boards?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Radamanthys View Post
    FOr the 100th time already,the Phenom is backward compatible with AM2 and Socket F(1207) with a BIOS update!!!
    Stop this questioning already.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Radamanthys View Post
    yes they can - pay attention
    Asus P5k DLX
    C2Q6600 G0
    4365 mhz - 485 x 9 @ 1.68v(Bios) 1.65v w/droop
    2G Patriot 8500 EL at 5:6 1164 5-5-5-15
    TT Toughpower 750,
    1 x Raptor, 1 x 250G WD2500KS
    BFG 8800GTX OC 600/1800
    Custom Single Stage Phase

Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast