Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1017181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: HDR Pictures

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Marin: Not bad, but the neon bluish hue in the shadows feels unnatural to me. I'd try turning down the tone-mapping strength in PM.
    evil-98: You got the highlights preserved nicely, but it seems you lost all of the detail in the shadows, such as the back of the van and under the tree leaves. What tone-mapping method are you using to convert 32-bit to 8-bit? Have you tried the Local Adaptation option?
    [ 3770K @ 4.2 : H100i : ASRock Z77E-ITX : GTX560 Ti : 16GB DDR3 1800 : +4TB : Bitfenix Prodigy : 2x Dell S2340M : Filco Majestouch-2 [Cherry Brown] : BX8a Deluxe]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Will do Metric.

I also posted this in the Macro section but this is also a HDR.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42504877@N00/3297858851/

Canon 5D Mark II (Canon 50mm f/1.2L | Canon 135mm f/2L | Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L | Contax Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 | Zuiko 21mm f/3.5 | Crumpler 7MDH | Hitech filters + Lee Foundation Kit | B+W filters)
    Hasselblad 201F (Zeiss 80mm f/2.8 CF | 2x A12 Back | Domke F-4AF)
    Nikon F3HP (Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 | Nikkor 55mm f/1.2)

Xtreme Member
    HDR is most effective when the highlights and shadows are in extremes from each other. some of these shots are unnecessary because you can just add a bit of fill and do some recovery on the highlights instead of taking all these exposures and taking the time to edit them.
    :banana::banana::banana::banana:station2.2
    2600K | Prolimatech Megahalems | Asus P8Z68 V PRO | EVGA GTX 260 216 | Kingwin Lazer Platinum 550w
    128GB+256GB C300 | JBOD 6TB | Asus Xonar Essence STX | Antec P180B | 7x Noctua NF-P12

Xtreme Enthusiast
    here's my first attempt with color/outdoors HDR

total of 3 exposures:

not a big fan of the pic itself, but love the extra detail that HDR added to it.

c/c

edit: couldn't resist messing it up a bit:
    Last edited by hoax; 03-05-2009 at 12:20 AM.

E8600 - Maximus Formula II - HIS 4870x2 - Mushkin DDR2 1066 2x2GB - Silverstone DA 850W - Silverstone TJ09 - TRUE Black

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Playing with HDR using LR + Photomatix, 3-shot bracket +/- 1EV. These are all default settings. So far I don't know how to make them with less "candyland colors."

C&C welcome.

The cliché Singapore skyline. It's on every postcard.

Different angle. Love the clouds. Hate the lens flare

Bungee towers at Clarke Quay. Passengers are strapped two at a time to this metal frame, which gets scarily flung around. I'll pass.

I like those, Kibbler. A good use of HDR.

hoax - that last one has a definite "Fallout" look.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibbler View Post
    Playing with HDR using LR + Photomatix, 3-shot bracket +/- 1EV. These are all default settings. So far I don't know how to make them with less "candyland colors."
    That's simply the Saturation slider. PM doesn't do a good job with saturation so I leave it around 35-45 and adjust it further when the image is back in LR.

As for the lens flare - just get out the Adjustment Brush (K) and use the Spot Removal tool, it will take care of it easily.

Nice pics.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by shazza View Post
    I like those, Kibbler. A good use of HDR.

hoax - that last one has a definite "Fallout" look.
    +1 Kibbler, nice pics

Thanks Shazza, too kind

E8600 - Maximus Formula II - HIS 4870x2 - Mushkin DDR2 1066 2x2GB - Silverstone DA 850W - Silverstone TJ09 - TRUE Black

Xtreme Addict
    Great shots Hoax and Kibbler.
    Sound: Asus Essense ST | Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 | Norge 2060 Stereo amp | Wharfedale SW150 sub (coming soon)
    Camera Gear: Canon 6D | Canon 500D | Canon 17-40L | Canon 24-105L | Canon 50mm f1.4 | Canon 85mm f1.8 | Rokinon 14mm f2.8 | Sigma 10-20EX HSM | Benro A3580F + Vanguard SBH250 | Bag full of filters and stuff

I am Xtreme
    these are my "Fire In the Sky" shots from sunset today.

"These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.
    Welcome to the Roughnecks"

"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT!
    You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Addict
    Hi all

So you guys are basically taking identicle shots with several different exposure levels, then mixing them somehow?

They all look great by the way
    TJ07 | Corsair HX1000W | Gigabyte EX58 Extreme | i7 930 @ 4ghz | Ek Supreme | Thermochill PA 120.3 | Laing DDC 12v w/ mod plexi top | 3x2gb Corsair 1600mhz | GTX 680 | Raid 0 300gb Velociraptor x 2 | Razer Lachesis & Lycosa | Win7 HP x64 | fluffy dice.

Yes, that is the idea.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Xello View Post
    Hi all

So you guys are basically taking identicle shots with several different exposure levels, then mixing them somehow?

They all look great by the way
    if your camera has the 'AE BRacket' option in the menu change it to +2/-2 default is 0.
    it takes 3 consecutive shots so be sure your using a tripod or sitting the camera on something that wont move. free hand it by all means if you have steel nerves and wont move the camera.

there is a program you can try called Photomatix that will allow you to play around with HDR and tone mapping.
    that program is what i used to produce the 'Fire In The Sky' pictures above.

but the other guys/gals i believe are using a mix of photomatix, and adobe photoshop and photoshop Lightroom to produce all those magnificent colors and saturations.

i need to take a couple of pictures at night to see if photomatix will allow you to get more saturated colors than what i have seen thus far, because in all honesty i can only get photomatix to produce richer blues and reds. greens never get very rich.
    but maybe i am doing something wrong.
    "These are the rules. Everybody fights, nobody quits. If you don't do your job I'll kill you myself.

"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT!
    You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

Heat Ebay Feedback

Lestat, after your HDR conversion you should load the image into your editor and finish it there. That includes things like saturation, which are handled by Photoshop, Lightroom, etc much better than PM.

PM really should be used only as an HDR merging tool, so you can obtain proper exposure before your final edits in your other app(s).
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

I am Xtreme
    ok i thought i read that somewhere, use PM to merge the HDR file (which honestly doesnt look much different than my auto expsoure picture. only slightly slightly richer.
    then use lightroom to really get down and dirty with the detailing.

i like all my pictures but the 2nd one is my favorite. it really looks like a fire on the horizon.

Heat Ebay Feedback

If it doesn't look much different then your scene did not have a dynamic range that exceeded what the sensor could capture and thus did not require a bracketed exposure + HDR to capture it
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
    If it doesn't look much different then your scene did not have a dynamic range that exceeded what the sensor could capture and thus did not require a bracketed exposure + HDR to capture it
    interesting because the 3 exposures are clearly different in that the "dynamic range" was quite appearant.

i have not used the raw files yet and increased the exposure time. the camera does a -2...0...+2 just like most other cameras with AE Bracketing.
    2 steps doesnt produce much dynamic variance that i can see, although its quite obvious one is brighter and one is darker than the 3rd picture.

i honestly have not done much reading at all on good HDR editing, and i need to, but i thought the AE Bracketing was enough to produce the quality HDR photos i am seeing.
    shall i change to manual and go to more extreme exposure differences? or i suppose i can just use the raw files and change the exposure there.

Heat Ebay Feedback

HDR is needed when you have very bright and very dark areas in the same scene, where one exposure would be a compromise between the two. HDR can capture the high, low, and in between in multiple pictures and combine them for that "ultimate" picture we can't capture with one digital image sensor exposure. If your scene doesn't contain this wide dynamic range then HDR won't benefit you as your sensor can already capture it in 1 shot.

+2, 0, -2 is ideal for most cameras.

Hope this makes sense. Maybe post the 3 images, and your final result and we'll take a look.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
    HDR is needed when you have very bright and very dark areas in the same scene, where one exposure would be a compromise between the two. HDR can capture the high, low, and in between in multiple pictures and combine them for that "ultimate" picture we can't capture with one digital image sensor exposure.
    That's a good explanation...

It's actually totally different from how the post-processing effect is used in video games then heh
    TJ07 | Corsair HX1000W | Gigabyte EX58 Extreme | i7 930 @ 4ghz | Ek Supreme | Thermochill PA 120.3 | Laing DDC 12v w/ mod plexi top | 3x2gb Corsair 1600mhz | GTX 680 | Raid 0 300gb Velociraptor x 2 | Razer Lachesis & Lycosa | Win7 HP x64 | fluffy dice.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Xello View Post
    That's a good explanation...

It's actually totally different from how the post-processing effect is used in video games then heh
    mmmm,,, it is somewhat the same HDR in video games is simply used to give you better lighting effects. its meant to show you a more realistic lighting, which in a way is what HDR photography is trying to do.

all the pictures you see are fake, but if you look at a real HDR picture it looks much more realistic.

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Member
    Wow, those are simply beautiful.

I am Xtreme
    another sunset out my front door.
    more clouds tonight as it rained off and on all day.
    i used photomatix to combine a series of 12 pictures all taken at various exposure levels. 4 auto exposure, 4 over exposed, and 4 under exposed.

Last edited by Lestat; 03-24-2009 at 08:12 PM.

Heat Ebay Feedback

Xtreme Enthusiast
    What are the best programs for HDR's???
    Are there any good free ones floating about? or how about plugins for photoshop or aperture??

i dont need anything for aligning the photographs as i have the 50D which does the captures one after another and i will be doing them all on a tripod

thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kinghong1970 View Post
    yea.. i need help... seriously......last time i went to the bathroom, it seems that the male has the pecker that pokes the female, right?

i'm confused...

Quote Originally Posted by lennox View Post
    holy cow do you really run 1/2" tubing without clamps? that's like banging a prostitute without a condom!
    Lian Li V2000B Special Water cut: DFI LanParty X48 LT T2R : Q6600 @3.21 ghtz : 2x Samsung Spinpoint F1 32mb cache 1tb HDD's : HD 4870x2 : 4GB domminator : Swiftech GTZ block : PA120.3 : DCC 18w res top : DCC 18w res top : EK FC 4870x2 :

Current Project:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=214295

Xtreme Addict
    My first multi exp HDR from D40.

Sound: Asus Essense ST | Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 | Norge 2060 Stereo amp | Wharfedale SW150 sub (coming soon)
    Camera Gear: Canon 6D | Canon 500D | Canon 17-40L | Canon 24-105L | Canon 50mm f1.4 | Canon 85mm f1.8 | Rokinon 14mm f2.8 | Sigma 10-20EX HSM | Benro A3580F + Vanguard SBH250 | Bag full of filters and stuff

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
    another sunset out my front door.
    more clouds tonight as it rained off and on all day.
    i used photomatix to combine a series of 12 pictures all taken at various exposure levels. 4 auto exposure, 4 over exposed, and 4 under exposed.
    I really like that pictuce accept the gras at the bottom. Cut that out and you have really nice pic!
    Loonym...You are missed.

The element of one

Breathe me in
    Breathe me in

I disbelieve in separation. I close my eyes to see you.
    This is for you, everything I am. This is for you, take it from me.
    I, I disbelieve separation. I close my eyes
    there's no escaping me
    This is for you, everything I am. This is for you, take it from me.
    In your heart in your soul. I perceive rejuvenation

Breathe me in. I am forever. Deep within I am eternal.

I will return to you. I am with you always. I will never turn away from you.

Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1017181920212223 ... LastLast