Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another waterblocks on i7 thread

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Planet View Post
    One question: What backplate(s) did you use for testing?
    +1

Also, does anyone know what the HK 1366 backplate comes with? (longer mounting bolts?)

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by nikhsub1 View Post
    Hmm, I find it rather odd the huge differences in temps... would be much better if you plotted each mount like I used to do so we can get a real picture of what is going on. It is way too vague to draw any conclusion IMO.
    4C difference in load temps is huge?? Especially if it were compared againsed the best air cooling whish is probably still 20-30C higher than the worst shown here

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoffey View Post
    Nope, back plate's just a back plate, but does come with small red spacers for the 1366. Mounting bolts on the 775 and 1366 setup are the same.

andyc
    Thanks.

I just noticed BlueAqua's pics of it with the backplate in another thread. Looks like I'll have to break out the jigsaw when I get the cooler because these MM standoffs are short.
    Time to get this 920 off from stock cooling though

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I use a modded Watercool backplate. I drilled a second set of holes so that I can use the backplate for 1366 as well as 775 mounts (just like my mainboard allows).

Chasing After Diety
    HES i find it very odd you seeing no difference in the EK Supreme after flipping.

Are you sure? Because a lot of people have had problems with orientation on this block.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yes, NaeKuh, I know that the whole EK orientation thing is very important to you. But I can't really be more sure than I am.

See my detailed report here and keep in mind that the supreme was retested for the results above.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HESmelaugh View Post
    I use a modded Watercool backplate. I drilled a second set of holes so that I can use the backplate for 1366 as well as 775 mounts (just like my mainboard allows).
    Understood and thanks again.
    i7 940 + HK LT, GTX 480 SLI
    ASUS P6T DLX V2, 6gig Corsair Dominator 1600
    2XDDC 3.2 18watts, PC LRT, pure distilled+silver, TC PA120.3/TFC 120.1
    2x150gigWD RaptorX, 4x1tbWD BLK SG, 1.5tb external drives
    SB Titanium PCI-X, Logitech z2300, Triton AX PC Pro
    2xMemorex DL DVD burners-USB attached
    Samsung 225BW & 204B
    MM U2 UFO powder coat+12x120MM fans, Enermax Galaxy EVO 1250W, Windows 7 U64

Xtreme Member
    Oh man, do you have to use a backplate with the HK or any cpu waterblock for that matter?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Altspacen View Post
    Oh man, do you have to use a backplate with the HK or any cpu waterblock for that matter?
    You don't HAVE to, but I would.
    Samsung 225BW & 204B

Xtreme Member
    I only say that because I've ordered everything else I think I need but I never did order a backplate. Oh and NaeKuh, I bought the HeatKiller Block as opposed to the XSPC Delta v3 that we had talked about before, I should be okay being that the flow is almost identical right?

Admin
    You mean the D-Tek Universal mount? Pro Mount is the one with only 4 mounting holes and spring-screws

(I've been looking at the HK3 mounting pictures and just thinking to myself "WTF, a block with such a report has such an old-fashioned and awkward mounting")

Never go full retard
    There is not a better opportunity for this statement...

D-Tek Pro-Mount...FTW!

On the topic of the KL-350 mount. I was extremely surpised at just how thick the mounting plates are. Those bad boys are going to need an immense amount of pressure to bend. Was very glad to see such a sturdy setup.

Xtreme Member
    Vapor/Andy,

Would you please describe in some detail what you think is wrong with WC mounting HW? More than a few of us have ordered the block without mounts, and I for one would like to know what the problem are. I'd like to know if the WC mount is M4 compatible if anyone has that information.
    Samsung 225BW & 204B

Xtreme Enthusiast
    About the mounting system of the HK 3.0: Here's a pic of the mount just so that everybody can see what we're talking about.

I see the reason the made it the way they did: With the screws being tightened from the top, there is no extra bit of screw sticking out at the top, as there is with the usual mounting methods. I think it's a purely aesthetic thing.
    I didn't find the mount to be terribly complicated or annoying, but it's not a particularly comfortable mounting system either. I guess it's a step backwards but only a small one. Keep in mind that I am working with a Benchtable and the mainboard is horizontal. Trying to install this in an upright case would probably be a very frustrating experience.

The thing with mounting mechanisms is that after you've seen the Apogee GTZ's one, everything else looks clumsy and primitive anyway. So I didn't give the HK's mount too much thought.

Xtreme Member
    I do not understand your statements regarding the mounting of the HK at all. For me it is the best solution I have ever had.

For all who do not know the details:

http://www.watercool.de/_uploads/Fil...30_A5_ENG_.pdf

Is there ANY OTHER solution, where the seller tells you about how to get the best cooling performance? And it works. I have just cut a little plastic sheet to approx. 19 mm in length and use is for control of distance ... And I have only minor differences in every mounting.

The exchange of CPUs for benching is a easy job to do - in difference to the mounting of the Koolance-crap.

To put the loose plate (that holds down the Koolance) in place is an totally fiddly thing imho

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by scamps View Post
    Is there ANY OTHER solution, where the seller tells you about how to get the best cooling performance?
    Yes, swiftech do that. And they are right about the orientation.

And their mounting mechanism is a gazillion times better than the Watercool one.
    (Unfortunately, the same can't be said of the performance...)

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by HESmelaugh View Post
    Yes, swiftech do that. And they are right about the orientation.

And their mounting mechanism is a gazillion times better than the Watercool one.
    (Unfortunately, the same can't be said of the performance...)
    but their mounting plates are ugly as hell
    Core i7 2600k|HD 6950|8GB RipJawsX|2x 128gb Samsung SSD 830 Raid0|Asus Sabertooth P67
    Seasonic X-560|Corsair 650D|2x WD Red 3TB Raid1|WD Green 3TB|Asus Xonar Essence STX

Core i3 2100|HD 7770|8GB RipJawsX|128gb Samsung SSD 830|Asrock Z77 Pro4-M
    Bequiet! E9 400W|Fractal Design Arc Mini|3x Hitachi 7k1000.C|Asus Xonar DX

Dell Latitude E6410|Core i7 620m|8gb DDR3|WXGA+ Screen|Nvidia Quadro NVS3100
    256gb Samsung PB22-J|Intel Wireless 6300|Sierra Aircard MC8781|WD Scorpio Blue 1TB

Harman Kardon HK1200|Vienna Acoustics Brandnew|AKG K240 Monitor 600ohm|Sony CDP 228ESD

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I like the looks of the Swiftech stuff Not as much as the looks of the Heatkiller, but they look better than the EK Supreme imho.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickel020 View Post
    I like the looks of the Swiftech stuff Not as much as the looks of the Heatkiller, but they look better than the EK Supreme imho.
    the block is great, screws are great but the mounting plate has these ugly edges, they should've gone for 2mm thick stainless steel instead of this chrome steel crap
    Core i7 2600k|HD 6950|8GB RipJawsX|2x 128gb Samsung SSD 830 Raid0|Asus Sabertooth P67
    Seasonic X-560|Corsair 650D|2x WD Red 3TB Raid1|WD Green 3TB|Asus Xonar Essence STX

256gb Samsung PB22-J|Intel Wireless 6300|Sierra Aircard MC8781|WD Scorpio Blue 1TB

Harman Kardon HK1200|Vienna Acoustics Brandnew|AKG K240 Monitor 600ohm|Sony CDP 228ESD

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well you don't see the edges from the top, so I don't really care about the look... but I do thing the edges suck though, because I caught a splinter in my finger from those edges just yesterday off my new i7 mounting plate.

Xtreme Addict
    The biggest thing I didn't like about the HK mount was the way the block sort of floats before you get the screw/springs fastened. I like a nice clean pre setting of my blocks. Usually that's accomplished by slipping the block down over studs, then rolling the thumb nuts down still they just touch the blocks mounting brackets. Or with the GTZ, the blocks sits above the IHS before tightening the springs. With the HK, you have to sort of hold the block in place while getting it centered over the IHS and then slipping each screw down thru the block until it catches the studs underneath. That can disturb the TIM and generally makes for a awkward mounting system.

Like HEM. I use a bench where the block sits horizontal so I can make it work. But I didn't think about case mounting where the block is sitting upright. That might be enough to make someone want to choke their selves as the blocks sliding around while they're trying to get the screws set.

Don't get me wrong. It works once tightened down, works well and looks clean without the usual thumb nuts. Just not what I was expecting out of a quality block like the HK.

andyc
    i agree that a thumb nut might be easier, but mounting a block in an upright case is impossible with every block out there.

i think that the biggest problem with the HK mounting system is that the bolts areb't integrated into the backplate so the block can slide around on the socket, but this is quite easy to fix with a small piece of scotch tape

an while it has some disadvantages the HK has the best looking mounting mechanism out there

Xtreme Addict
    I agree with most of your comments, but have do idea where your getting the bolded statement from. You slide the block down over the studs, then tighten the nuts. Pretty easy. But when nothing is there to hold the block in place, it's hell and that's where the HK mounting systems fails in a big way.

andyc
    While true I generally get better and more even contact when the case is on its side.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well the vertical case problem can easily be solved by flipping the case on it's side so the board is horizontal. Mounting a block on a vertical motherboard is just asking for a bad mount imho. At least the horizontal mounting will not be worse than mounting a cooler on a vertical board, so just to be sure I always put the case on its side.

I am Xtreme
    i love the koolance mounting...because it works great..and build is uber good...and the thumb screws are biGGGGGG

Xtreme Addict
    I agree with most of your comments, but have do idea where your getting the bolded statement from. You slide the block down over the studs, then tighten the nuts. Pretty easy. But when nothing is there to hold the block in place, it's hell and that's where the HK mounting systems fails in a big way.

andyc
    welll you still have to mount the backplate = remove board

and if i think back i think that you're right

i mounted my swiftech storm in an upright case, but contact was horrible, you get much better reults without an upright case

basically i wanted to say that it is not recommended to mount any cooler in an upright case as in a lot of cases the mount will be worse than a horizontal mount

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast