Thread: EK GTX 480 backplate!

Xtreme Enthusiast

EK GTX 480 backplate!

Does anyone know if these will work on my GTX 480's that have Koolance blocks?? It looks like it might work.....
    http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/ekwaekgtxban.html
    (New build):MSI Big Bang X-power II with XSPC MB blocks, Core I7 3930k@4.6Ghz with HT on, 3x GTX 480 SLI with EK Waterblocks(for now), X-fi Titanium, Gskill quad kit 16GB 2133mhz, 2x240GB Corsair GT SSD's(raid 0), 3xWD 2TB drives, Silverstone Strider ST1500 Watt, Dell3007WFP and 2x Samsung 305T's. Water loop: EK HF CPU block, XSPC RX480 Rad, Coolgate GC480, Airplex Revolution 420 Rad, 2x DDC 3.25 18W with EK dual top, Caselabs STH10 white with customizations....

Xtreme Member
    It would depend on where/if the Koolance block has the center screw holes and sizes, but I would doubt it.

The outer holes dont go into the block (at least not the EK block), but those center 3 holes do.

Oh, and you don't say who's 480's you are using, but the backplate WILL NOT fit correctly onto the ASUS GTX 480 (the EK full cover block fits just fine, I'm using them, but the backplate gets caught on some small extra circuits that the asus board has on the back).

Plus, be real careful, the screws that EK sends with the backplate use a small (very small and very shallow) hex head and mine stripped out entirely on the first attempt at installing it.

That's slightly before I found out that the backplate won't fit correctly on the asus boards (and EK updated thier compatibility listing shortly afterwards), but then I couldn't get the screws out of the backplate to remove it. I ended up, finally, being able to get 2 of the 3 screws out and then just snapped the third screw head off by pure force and got the rest out with some needle nosed pliers.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thats weird as all gtx 480's are reference design....So if asus won't work no ones will......
    (New build):MSI Big Bang X-power II with XSPC MB blocks, Core I7 3930k@4.6Ghz with HT on, 3x GTX 480 SLI with EK Waterblocks(for now), X-fi Titanium, Gskill quad kit 16GB 2133mhz, 2x240GB Corsair GT SSD's(raid 0), 3xWD 2TB drives, Silverstone Strider ST1500 Watt, Dell3007WFP and 2x Samsung 305T's. Water loop: EK HF CPU block, XSPC RX480 Rad, Coolgate GC480, Airplex Revolution 420 Rad, 2x DDC 3.25 18W with EK dual top, Caselabs STH10 white with customizations....

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BringerOdeath View Post
    Thats weird as all gtx 480's are reference design....So if asus won't work no ones will......
    Not exactly.

Seems like ASUS and MSI replace some of the components with their stuff.

This explains why there were things on the PCB where EK didn't expect or things are higher than expected.
    Check out my WC worklog: BSG Pegasus - Lian Li PC-A77B
    Rev. 1.0 Photos ----- Rev 1.1 Photos ----- Rev 1.4 Photos ----- Rev 2.0 Photos ----- Rev 3.0 Photos -----
    Detailed flow comparison across all revisions ----- i7 980X @ 4960Mhz

PC:
    i7 980X 4.2GHz @1.31v / Asus Rampage III Black Edition / Corsair Dom GT 3x4GB 2000 CL9 / 2x Palit GTX 580 3GB
    Crucial RealSSD C300 256GB / 2x WD 2TB EARS / WD 2.5" 500GB / LG Blu-Ray DVD
    Lian Li PC-A77B / Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250W / MS X-6 / SS Ikari / Logitech G27 + X230 / Win 7 x64 Pro
    3x Dell AW2310 120Hz 3D + Nvidia 3D Vision Surround

WC:
    3x DDC 3.25 + 3x HTS-PMP400 / EK DDC Dual V2 + Single V2 Tops - Single loop / EK Multi-Option / Bitspower fittings
    EK Supreme HF v3 / 2x EK GTX 5X0 Acetal + Nickel / Primochill LRT Black 1/2 ID 3/4 OD
    2x XSPC RX360 + RX240 / Aquaero 5 Pro + flow & temp sensors / 21x Akasa Apache Black

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Wow, I didn't know that!! I have the gigabyte cards so they are probably completely reference....

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by luke997 View Post
    Not exactly.

Seems like ASUS and MSI replace some of the components with their stuff.

This explains why there were things on the PCB where EK didn't expect or things are higher than expected.
    they didnt bro
    pure hogwash

got 4 cards with me one time
    msi , asus, palit and galaxy

all the same.

btw my msi has no issue now with the backplate and the updated spacers+screws

previously yes..

hmm isnt asus and msi foxconn reference??
    i am pretty sure he made up that because u told him about ure asus and my disro told him about my msi card .
    they aint on the website anymore ..about the asus and msi caution .

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I have a evga gtx470 cooled by a koolance full cover block and a ek gtx 470 backplate and there is only screw of the backplate that dosent fit with the koolance block and it dosent affect in any part the backplate or the full cover block. I guees it should be the same thing with the gtx 480.
    Quote Originally Posted by DDtung
    We overclock and crunch you to the ground

Question Which screws?

Quote Originally Posted by snoro View Post
    I have a evga gtx470 cooled by a koolance full cover block and a ek gtx 470 backplate and there is only screw of the backplate that dosent fit with the koolance block and it dosent affect in any part the backplate or the full cover block. I guees it should be the same thing with the gtx 480.
    Which sort of screws did you use to mount the koolance fullcover block in combination with the EK backplate?

I want to to the same thing with 3 GTX 480 graphics. The including screws of the VID-NX480 are surely to short for mounting the waterblock in combination with the backplate.

A bit off-topic here, but nevertheless: Does anyone know if those blue LEDs (or whatever used in koolance NX480 blocks to light them up) can be replaced ? This "glowing" effect is quite nice, but I'd prefer it in orange, purple or white

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigris STI View Post
    A bit off-topic here, but nevertheless: Does anyone know if those blue LEDs (or whatever used in koolance NX480 blocks to light them up) can be replaced ? This "glowing" effect is quite nice, but I'd prefer it in orange, purple or white
    Clip the old led and solder a different LED's on them.

Email Koolance Tech Support and ask what Voltage LED they use so you can solder a different color on.

My guess is its either a 3V or a 1.5V.

But im sure they will tell ya exactly what voltage LED it is.

EDIT: i found it for ya in a post from TIM
    Quote Originally Posted by Koolance View Post
    We use 3mm wide LED's. So a couple small holes in the bottom would do it:

Also Guys can u use thermal tape to secure the backplate?

You can only use tape on certain pieces, and use tim on the other.
    There is always that option... but it will be a PITFA to remove.
    Last edited by NaeKuh; 07-28-2010 at 05:07 PM.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post
    Clip the old led and solder a different LED's on them.

Email Koolance Tech Support and ask what Voltage LED they use so you can solder a different color on.

My guess is its either a 3V or a 1.5V.

But im sure they will tell ya exactly what voltage LED it is.

EDIT: i found it for ya in a post from TIM
    Still doesn't show V.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Addict
    Most blue leds use 3.4V, though some brighter blues use 4.6V (source).
    “Little expense had been spared to create the impression that no expense had been spared.” - Hitchhiker's Guide
    It's better to ask dumb questions now, than to look stupid later
    Mondays:

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I think about getting EK backplate but found following attention on their site

We would like to inform all users and potential users that we have found a difference on a back side on most of the GeForce 480 GTX vga cards compared to refference design VGA card that we recieve from Nvidia.

Because of this, backplate hits marked chips (see the picture), disabling safe mount of backplate. The height dfference is only 0,25mm.

To enable safe mount we have already prepared a set of PVC washers to raise the backplate for 0,5mm enabling safe mount of backplate. If you are already owner of GF 480 GTX backplate, please contact your seller our support and we will send you the washers.

Thank you for the understanding.

EK Team
    In case I'll receive backplate without those washers, will it be possible to set up my own? How these washers look like? Any washers with 0.5mm height solve the problem?

Intel Xeon W3520 4200MHz HT
    Foxconn Bloodrage
    3x2Gb Patriot Viper II DDR3-1600 6-6-6-16
    MSI GTX480 M2D15 850/1700/2000
    Samsung F1 1TB
    Corsair TX950W
    Stacker 832 w/ Dual Loop Watercooling aka *Bong Build*
    NEC 2690WUXi
    Loop 1: Laing DDC1-T -> Watercool HK 3.0 LT -> Thermochill PA120.3 -> Bloodrage NB -> EK Res 150
    Loop 2: Laing DDC1-T -> EK-FC GTX480 -> Thermochill PA120.2 -> EK Res 150

*New* CM 690 II Advanced Watercooled

*Coming soon* Stacker 832 Rebirth!

Visitor
    The problem was/is that EK received a pre-lease reference card without the offending row of chips on the back side. Search around for reviews. You'll find that early GTX 480 cards don't have those chips on the back. Only with washers and longer screws will the EK back plate fit the reference designs consumers got.

the 3mm blue ultrabright led's i have are 2v

Thanks everyone ! You are very helpful