Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: iPHONE 3G = disappointment

Xtreme Member

iPHONE 3G = disappointment

iPHONE 3G = disappointment
    Im sorry, it just is.
    I held of of the first iPhone for its utter lack of features, and wanted to give it a try the second time around.
    well, guess what, I aint.

Apple has turned to Crapple officially now whit this brick of crap.

lets see, features that any "best-phone-in-the-world" should have and the iphones Do Not:

camera:
    -better than 2mp camera
    -Autofocus
    -Quality optics (Carl Zeiss etc)
    -Flash (even a LED one!)
    -Focus Light
    -FRONT FACING CAMERA <- are you kidding me? every mac now has this for iChat conference goodness. Now that its on 3G the iPhone MUST HAVE THIS...WTF STEVE JOBS!!??)
    -NO VIDEO RECORDING WTF??

External
    -Removable Battery
    -SD EXPANSION SLOT (ever hear of PC Card-Reader + Office Documents on a smartphone Apple?)
    -Media keys (is this really even close to being an iPod?)

Telephony
    -MMS !!!!!??
    -Songs as Ringtones (can this be done now?)
    -THEMES !!!

Awesomeness
    -Assited GPS (navigation like on a TomTom or Garmin)
    -RADIO !!!???
    -Internet Radio (you are on 3G dammit !)

feel free to add, counter and discuss.
    Last edited by Senater_Cache; 06-11-2008 at 11:20 AM.

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    Anyone who buys an iPhone isn't interested in features. They're interested in the fact that it's been released by the Borg Queen and they must assimilate it.
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

Xtreme Member
    lol. you bad

since they use iTunes that makes it illegal to use songs for ring tones since that breaks to TOC, the hardware changes wont happen that would increase the price and would require them to actually make something and not get generic HTC hardware with a different os

for the software u can jailbrake, and most of those require software that they cant use since they are non open source linux and thats a hard thing to use standardized code for since they cant use the open source code
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme X.I.P.
    cant record videos?

Xtreme Mentor
    I think you should update your first post regularly, with the info users report here and around the web so we can get a full picture of the situation at one glance.
    -Copy paste function? is that added?
    -A2DP Bluetooth for stereo streaming

I read that the new firmware for 1st gen phone adds ability to save images from emails(wtf? how could they forget this in the first place)

http://gizmodo.com/5014705/iphone-3g...t-get-upgraded

I really wanted to go for it. But I just cant see myself settling for less features than my n95 has. Right now I just miss the cool touch interface.
    I might try the new Samsung i900 Omnia as that one has all the features and looks pretty damn great.
    Quote Originally Posted by LexDiamonds View Post
    Anti-Virus software is for n00bs.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Senater_Cache View Post
    camera:
    -better than 2mp camera
    I agree, I'd like a better quality camera, but for a phone, the quality is pretty decent. (Yes, I do own an EDGE iPhone)

-Autofocus
    Agreed, clearer is always better. But considering it's a phone and not meant for high-end photography it doesn't matter too much, my pictures come out clear enough considering it's primarily a phone.

-Quality optics (Carl Zeiss etc)
    Can't argue with that, clearer is always better.

-Flash (even a LED one!)
    Sure, it'd be a nice feature, but I can't say I've ever found it necessary.

-FRONT FACING CAMERA <- are you kidding me? every mac now has this for iChat conference goodness. Now that its on 3G the iPhone MUST HAVE THIS...WTF STEVE JOBS!!??)
    Is 3G really fast enough for video conferencing? I can say EDGE is barely fast enough for web browsing let alone anything involving video...YouTube slows to a crawl. Even if it was fast enough, I can't see myself using it. I'd rather keep the camera on the back of the case and keep the device slim.

-Removable Battery
    I guess. But the battery should last for the whole two years, at which point the contract expires and someone who can afford a <$200 phone should be able to replace it in two years. And we should be used to it after how many years of iPods that didn't have user-serviceable batteries? But yes, it would be nice to have the flexibility.

-SD EXPANSION SLOT (ever hear of PC Card-Reader + Office Documents on a smartphone Apple?)
    I've also heard of USB, and I'm sure more computers have USB ports than SD card readers. Just need a cable, which I believe is included with the phone.

-Media keys (is this really even close to being an iPod?)
    Explain this one please?

-MMS !!!!!??
    I agree, this should have been part of v1, or at least included in a firmware update. That being said, I'm sure Apple would have included it had it been available...there may be a restriction put on them by AT+T.

-Songs as Ringtones (can this be done now?)
    There are ways to do it through iTunes:

A) Make them through the Music Store, for $.99 for the song and another $1.99 for the tone

B) Shorten an MP3 to the length of the ringtone with Audacity, convert the MP3 to an unprotected AAC through iTunes, remove both short songs from the library, change the file extension of the AAC file from .m4a to .m4r, then add it to your iTunes library and it will show up as a ringtone.

-THEMES !!!
    Meh, stock UI is pretty enough. Can't see a wallpaper on the home screen with all the icons anyway, and the title bars are thin enough that I don't think it would make that big a difference. I'd rather they put more time and effort towards them getting AT+T to let them do MMS messages.

-Assited GPS (navigation like on a TomTom or Garmin)
    Agreed, I'd like to see this, but the additional circuitry for satelite communication would add bulk, which Apple isn't willing to do. We do have Google Maps on the phone, that'll do until they can find a way to add it without adding bulk.

-RADIO !!!???
    I have a Sansa with an FM radio and I've never felt an inclination to listen to it. Someone else may, but meh. And I only listen to the radio if I'm in someone else's car and they don't have CDs.

-Internet Radio (you are on 3G dammit !)
    iTunes on the PC can do it, the iPhone should be able to. Though I can see why they wouldn't add it, it'd probably compete with satelite radio companies like Sirius and XM. Not like it's a hardware only feature though, so they should be able to add it.

Most of them are good points. I wonder if Apple will ever do some kind of trade-in program for previous-gen iPhone owners, I'd very much like 3G access. Wouldn't mind getting credit towards a new one.

• i7 920 D0 // eVGA X58 SLI // 12GB G.Skill Ripjaws // HD6950 (6970 BIOS)
    • Apogee XT // MCP655 // Thermochill PA120.3 // CM HAF 932
    • OCZ Vertex 3 MI edition // ASUS Xonar DX // Corsair TX850
    • HTC Incredible - Uber Kingdom Revolution ROM

Xtreme Mentor
    So what happens if the phone locks up and you can't remove the battery to reset it?
    Visit to the iStore?
    Quote Originally Posted by LexDiamonds View Post
    Anti-Virus software is for n00bs.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I love my iphone. The fact that its slim full touch screen, doesnt need a stupid SD card (16GB internal), Wifi (edge does suck) and a very usable ipod, did I mention its slim with a full touch screen?

Had a meeting out of state yesterday (no need for excel or office apps) and it was nice to go with only my phone and still be able to get on the web and actually surf, unlike most phone web apps.

Quote Originally Posted by XS Janus View Post
    So what happens if the phone locks up and you can't remove the battery to reset it?
    Visit to the iStore?
    Hard reset. Hold the Home key and the Lock Key for 10 secs. Ive had the phone lock up once in 6 months
    Last edited by p0tter; 06-11-2008 at 09:59 AM.
    Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
    •i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz - 1.32v - CM Hyper 212 Evo
    •G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-8GB
    •ASUS 7850 @ 1250//5800
    •Corsair TX650 V2
    •Dell 3007WFP
    •Win 7 64 Ult

Xtreme Member
    I hate when people dissect posts like this. lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by YMAA View Post
    I agree, I'd like a better quality camera, but for a phone, the quality is pretty decent. (Yes, I do own an EDGE iPhone)

Agreed, clearer is always better. But considering it's a phone and not meant for high-end photography it doesn't matter too much, my pictures come out clear enough considering it's primarily a phone.

Can't argue with that, clearer is always better.

* regarding a Flash
    Sure, it'd be a nice feature, but I can't say I've ever found it necessary.

-- ever been in a nightclub / darkened room and tried to take a picture of your friends?

Is 3G really fast enough for video conferencing? I can say EDGE is barely fast enough for web browsing let alone anything involving video...YouTube slows to a crawl. Even if it was fast enough, I can't see myself using it. I'd rather keep the camera on the back of the case and keep the device slim.
    --in europe everyone is video-conferencing on 3G ...its fast enough.

I guess. But the battery should last for the whole two years, at which point the contract expires and someone who can afford a <$200 phone should be able to replace it in two years. And we should be used to it after how many years of iPods that didn't have user-serviceable batteries? But yes, it would be nice to have the flexibility.

* regarding missing expansion slot (SD)
    I've also heard of USB, and I'm sure more computers have USB ports than SD card readers. Just need a cable, which I believe is included with the phone.
    --one of th epoints of REMOVABLE media is to have multiple discs and swap them out.

* regarding media keys
    Explain this one please?
    -dedicated play/pause/next/etc buttons on the body of the phone so that one can skip a song without pulling the "ipod" out of the pocket and turning on the screen

* regarding MMS
    I agree, this should have been part of v1, or at least included in a firmware update. That being said, I'm sure Apple would have included it had it been available...there may be a restriction put on them by AT+T.
    --hmmm

* regarding songs as ringtones
    There are ways to do it through iTunes:

A) Make them through the Music Store, for $.99 for the song and another $1.99 for the tone

B) Shorten an MP3 to the length of the ringtone with Audacity, convert the MP3 to an unprotected AAC through iTunes, remove both short songs from the library, change the file extension of the AAC file from .m4a to .m4r, then add it to your iTunes library and it will show up as a ringtone.
    --how does this tie in with apple's "user-friendlyness"? It sure ties in well with Apple's exuberant wallet emptying techniques.

* regarding a Themes
    Meh, stock UI is pretty enough. Can't see a wallpaper on the home screen with all the icons anyway, and the title bars are thin enough that I don't think it would make that big a difference. I'd rather they put more time and effort towards them getting AT+T to let them do MMS messages.
    --I hope you are joking. My grandmother's phone from 1999 does themes. At least give us ONE extra color.

* regarding Navigation via A-GPS
    Agreed, I'd like to see this, but the additional circuitry for satelite communication would add bulk, which Apple isn't willing to do. We do have Google Maps on the phone, that'll do until they can find a way to add it without adding bulk.
    -Google maps? it isnt iPhoen specific I have the same google maps as iPhone has on my Symbian OS phone (NOKIA) the stupid pins even drop all animated-like just like on the iPhone, its a google product. Adding A-GPS would add zero circuitry, it is simply an application that accesses a map-database and the GPS unit (which is already in the iPhone 3G)

* regarding no Radio
    I have a Sansa with an FM radio and I've never felt an inclination to listen to it. Someone else may, but meh. And I only listen to the radio if I'm in someone else's car and they don't have CDs.
    --Inclination is no reason for omission now, is it? If you think it is, dont call it the "best phone in the world". Did you ever just want to hear the local news? to this day I do not understand how this iPods dont have this.

* regarding internet radio missing
    iTunes on the PC can do it, the iPhone should be able to. Though I can see why they wouldn't add it, it'd probably compete with satelite radio companies like Sirius and XM. Not like it's a hardware only feature though, so they should be able to add it.--You misread my post this is a list of features not available on the new iPhone that ARE AVAILABLE on many other phones. I have internet radio (incl. shoutcast) on my S60 NOKIA, and it came like that from nokia. Plus, I dont see apple giving a rats a** about SIRIUS or XM or anybody really.

Most of them are good points. I wonder if Apple will ever do some kind of trade-in program for previous-gen iPhone owners, I'd very much like 3G access. Wouldn't mind getting credit towards a new one.
    Last edited by Senater_Cache; 06-11-2008 at 11:58 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    So most of your wants on the camera... well if you don't like it then don't get it plan and simple, no need to complain about it. As for me I am getting it July 11th! I think it is bad ass and the price too... selling my current iPhone at $100 that was just replaced and I am looking forward to mostly the GPS and the 2.0 Firmware which of course will be available on both iPhone.

As for expansion slots they have to watch for privacy and others things with offloading files and further hacking. Of course that will never be stopped but it limits it.

Personally I think the added features are awesome and yes they could have added more like Video Recording but leave that to App makers. Remember the current average price of Apps is $3 due to most of the Apps being free and people have already made Video recording Apps.

27" iMac
    3.06GHz Core 2 Duo
    8GB DDR3
    1TB HDD + 2TB Ext + 1TB Ext
    ATI HD 4670 256MB

20" iMac
    2.4GHz Core 2 Duo
    2GB+1GB G.Skill DDR2
    320GB HDD
    ATI HD 2600 Pro 256MB

16GB iPhone 3GS

GamerTag: ugp
    GamerTag: SadisticPuppets

Xtreme Recruit
    ok, its easy to rip into a new product because we all expect apple to somehow always produce something perfect and flawless, but lets not forget the features it does have:

IPOD
    Gps (which is an achievement in a phone that thin)
    A usable internet browser
    Huge internal storage
    the whole multi-touch thing going on
    an awesome ui
    pretty damn huge screen for a phone too
    and now a more reasonable price

@ Senater_Cache
    yes the features you listed are missing, but:
    the camera ones aren't necessary, and although you say a lot of other phones do have them, is there anything that has the features youve listed AND the ones of the iphone?
    |Macbook|2ghz|1gb ram|80gb HDD|x3100|Mac OS 10.5.4|

|E6400@2.6ghz|DFI Infinity P965 DARK|2gb ram|7900GS|1.5 TB HDD| Xp Essentials|Ubuntu 8.04|Leo4allv3 OSX86|

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"When in doubt, be root"

Xtreme Cruncher
    So HTC can make phones with all those features (although the cameras need some work, but they're business phones so yeah) yet Apple can make it shiny and it sells on that?
    Main Rig

AMD Athlon X2 3800+ @ 2.8GHz (10x 280MHz) | ABit Kn9 NF4 | 4GB GSkill DDR2 - 800MHz | ATi Radeon HIS HD3870 | 530w Hiper Type M PSU

80GB Western Digital SATA300 Boot Drive | 500GB Western Digital SATA300 Storage Drive | 400GB Western Digital SATA300 Storage Drive | 400GB Seagate Barracuda UDMA IDE Storage Drive | 200GB Samsung Spinpoint UDMA IDE Storage Drive | 160GB Western Digital SATA300 Storage Drive

Windows Server 2008 x64 | Dual Screen: 20" TFT @ 1920x1080 | 19" TFT @ 1440x900

Media Streaming Rig/Spare PC

Intel Pentium 4 @ 2.8GHz | Generic Motherboard | 768mb Kingston DDR - 400MHz | ATi Radeon 9250SE | 350w AOpen PSU

20GB Western Digital IDE Drive

Windows XP Professional x86 w/SP3 | TV/Monitor @ 1920x1080

Entertainment Centre

40" Sony Bravia @ 1920x1080 | Sony Playstation 3 | Microsoft Xbox 360 (RED RING OF DEATH)

Xtreme Legend
    you forgot to add another feature

give a blowjob every morning

and on that note lol i think you're being a tad harsh
    i would love to have tomtom based functionality and would definitely buy one if it had it

FUGGER uses first gen ones.....i used his a little last year...pretty sweet phones
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    iphone is the best phone ever, im getting the new one as well on July 11th.
    CPU: INTEL Q9550 E0 @ 3600 1.28V + CORSAIR H50
    GPU: EVGA GTX 480 @ 725/1450/3800
    PPU: EVGA 9800GTX @ 738/1836/2250
    MB: ASUS P5E X38
    RAM: MUSHKIN 2X2GB
    SOUND: X-FI TITANIUM FATAL1TY | LOGITECH Z-5500 | LOGITECH G35
    HDD: WD 76GB X 2 RAPTORS RAID 0 10KRPM | WD 1TB CAVIAR BLACK 32MB STORAGE
    PSU: CORSAIR HX1000W PSU
    MON: HANNSPREE 28" 1920X1200 RESOLUTION

Xtreme Mentor
    I might get one if my family switches over to AT&T for our wireless plan, which I doubt will happen...
    "To exist in this vast universe for a speck of time is the great gift of life. Our tiny sliver of time is our gift of life. It is our only life. The universe will go on, indifferent to our brief existence, but while we are here we touch not just part of that vastness, but also the lives around us. Life is the gift each of us has been given. Each life is our own and no one else's. It is precious beyond all counting. It is the greatest value we have. Cherish it for what it truly is."

I agree the new IPhone is disappointing, same crapy camera, same one year old look

How hard is it to add MMS and Copy&Paste functions? This is a joke.

I was planning on getting one, but after seeing how lacking in features it is when compared to newer phones, I won't get it anymore.

I'll wait a few months and get the Sony Ericsson Xperia X1, it has way better features and the screen resolution is 800x480 compared to IPhones 320x480

Check out a comparison between the two phones here:
    http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3...&idPhone1=2246

Administrator
    Ha, @Bandwidth !

Amiga Workbench V1.3 I love that and I still use Amiga Forever

Back to the iPhone, I have gotten very used to it but some things do bug me.

I use Maps a lot. But after I get it all setup and zoomed in to where I want it if I let it sit for any length of time while driving it will reset to full zoomed out and I have to rezoom back in, real pain while driving.

Another thing is when using Safari while out and about it can really suck down battery life very fast. So in that respect I cannot see any internet related material very usefull when away from a charger.

A much better camera would be really nice to so I don't have to carry around another camera.

The GPS sounds very nice to me but not for any extra cost.

I will pass on the new phones.

Xtreme Addict
    I don't know but hands down I think the iPhone is still the best phone I have ever used. The software by far makes it the best phone out there. It is reliable and runs fast. I have used several Smartphones and none compare to the iPhone. The others ran slow, lack the beautiful screen, etc...

Although this is what we call an opinion and everyone is entitled to their own.

27" iMac
    3.06GHz Core 2 Duo
    8GB DDR3
    ATI HD 4670 256MB

20" iMac
    2.4GHz Core 2 Duo
    2GB+1GB G.Skill DDR2
    320GB HDD
    ATI HD 2600 Pro 256MB

16GB iPhone 3GS

Xtreme Member
    The iPhone 3G is made to be sold to the masses. Apple is trying to get as much as market share and iPhone user base as possible. Which means that they will have to settle for less quality and more quantity.
    Probably when they settle with 20+ mill. users they will finally introduce an iPhone with better design and maybe a 2.5MPx camera, but don't expect it to be 199$
    Last edited by AnXioZ; 06-13-2008 at 07:33 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    I really still have yet to get on this Apple bandwagon. I toyed with an Iphone for a bit and it just didn't do much for me. And 3G? It would be more relevant if ATT had 3G deployed out as widespread as Edge before releasing this phone. I know they are expanding, but they are taking their sweet time. Hell, some places already have the 3G antennas up for a year already but still have yet to turn it on.

I like my Pantech Duo well enough.

My only complaint is storage and Wifi, but if I really cared for that I would have gone with an HTC.

Please, Why IPhone?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznik Akime View Post
    I really still have yet to get on this Apple bandwagon. I toyed with an Iphone for a bit and it just didn't do much for me. And 3G? It would be more relevant if ATT had 3G deployed out as widespread as Edge before releasing this phone. I know they are expanding, but they are taking their sweet time. Hell, some places already have the 3G antennas up for a year already but still have yet to turn it on.

I like my Pantech Duo well enough.

My only complaint is storage and Wifi, but if I really cared for that I would have gone with an HTC.

Please, Why IPhone?
    It cost money to turn them on. AT&T is spending a lot of money this year to turn them all on and get 3G up and running just about everywhere they have coverage. My area I live in is going to be turned on for 3G on August 30th and my county isn't that big. We also have an additional 10 towers going up. If you all want to know a date when you will have 3G give me the City and State and I can tell you. I sell AT&T products and have access to this info. AT&T is spending 220 Million alone on Florida this year for tower placement.

27" iMac
    3.06GHz Core 2 Duo
    8GB DDR3
    ATI HD 4670 256MB

20" iMac
    2.4GHz Core 2 Duo
    2GB+1GB G.Skill DDR2
    320GB HDD
    ATI HD 2600 Pro 256MB

16GB iPhone 3GS

I am going to get a 3G one asap. The limitations are ok for me. I am a fan of Steve Jobs. He is the greatest computer guy ever. He cannot make mistakes.

Xtreme Member
    If they missed features, they missed it purposely. I mean, they can't put everything into one iphone, they gotta leave some ideas out for the next one!

I think the most important feature in this new iphone, above all 3G and GPS and all other goodies, is the price, I think we can all agree.

Xtreme Member
    Abso-lutely, quarter! @ 299 you can't beat it. I'll be in line the morning of Jul 11.

This thread title = epic fail.
    Stealth Water

Quote Originally Posted by TheGanG View Post
    Yeah, x15 makes me happy...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast