Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Cosmos SLR

Xtreme Addict

Project: Cosmos SLR

Couldn’t wait any longer for the Coolermaster Cosmos to turn up so decided to at least make a small start on the SLR badge which will end up being a feature on the front of the case so don’t expect anything major at this stage but more will follow as soon as

Started off printing the letters onto a sheet of white paper using the Reservoir Grunge font and stuck them onto a 3mm sheet of aluminium then using my trusty Fret Saw carefully cut each letter out one by one.

I cut pretty close to the line so there wasn’t a lot of work to do with various jewellers files to straighten up the edges followed by various grit wet and dry paper so they were almost perfect.

Then onto the buffing wheel for a final polish and that’s one job complete.

Well just to show i'm not sitting twiddling my thumbs waiting for the case to turn up which incidentally will be here tomorrow, i've been fabricating the front.

Using MDF this time which is a first for me to give it some kind of depth so the Merc badge ends up sunk in like the real thing.

Basically just cut the rough shape out then using a 120mm hole saw, cut out the hole that will eventually have the badge mounted then using a little mouse sander (seen Bill at Mnpctech using one and just had to get my hands on one) to round the edges off and give the whole thing a more rounded look - still loads to do on that but as i don't know exactly where the 120mm hole will line up until the case arrives i thought better of sanding to much.

Once the MDF is fully sanded down it will be mounted to 3mm aluminium like in the picture below but with a 120mm hole in the alu also and some kind of grill cut out below like real car then filled, primed and the whole lot painted but that's as far as i dare go until the case turns up.

Give you a bit of an idea of how its taking shape......

Still not sanded the any more of the MDF but decided to strip the Cosmos naked and de-riveted and took out the hard drive caddy so I can mount the 140mm Aerocool chrome fan but did realise I should be able to fabricate a simple bracket to refit it.

Also before sending the chassis away for powder coat thought I’d get all the 120mm holes lined up in the door, the front bezel and the chassis which leaves Saturday for sanding the MDF down providing the weather stays fine as its not a job to be done in doors.

Actually the bezel and chassis were cut using a 120mm hole saw but the door was cut with a jig-saw as it needs to be only 118mm which will give the badge something to sit on so the wonky edge won’t be seen

What a long day this has been without there being much to show..................guess i under estimated how long it would take to get the MDF looking good.

Anyway managed to get it all sanded down and finished off with 1500 grit as well as the outside aluminium bits then stuck the MDF to the door with two part Araldite so there is just a tiny bit of filler work before it gets a good few coats of filler primer and see how it looks from there.

Also used the original black 2mm plexi and cut out a piece that will end up being stuck the door after everything is primed and painted but just did a quick mock up with fine aluminium mesh behind the badge just to see how things were looking.

My apologies for keep on harping on about the front panel and boring everyone to tears but it has taken a long time and it does look pretty cool even though i say so myself but i promise to move onto something else next update.

Anyway, i used filler primer hence the yellow colour but even after that the MDF was still showing some problem areas so resorted to using Isopon body filler and gave it a really thin layer of the stuff followed by more dry sanding upto 2000 grit which proved to work a treat as it started looking really smooth.

This morning i got my hands on a couple of rattle cans of Mercedes silver and gave it four coats with 15 minute intervals which went on without any problems at all.

It still needs clear coat then machine polished once its completely dry but i just had to mount the aluminium mesh which was previously painted black to the Merc badge and try another retro fit with the black plexi and SLR badge in place.

See what you think..........i took a few pictures on the bonnet of an SLK which isn't by any means an SLR but gives an over all idea!

Xtreme Member
    That's beautiful!
    To place a fan behind the Mercedes-logo was very clever, keep up the good work!

Xtreme Member
    silly you, why didn't you just ask mercedes for a sponsorship?

also, is that your SLR???

looks really nice so far, put on some clear coat and it could go as a mercedes product.
    AMD 64 3700+ San Diego
    Geil Ultra 1GB PC3200 RAM
    250+640GB
    Sapphire X850XT PE
    SINGLEC0RE4EVER

Xtreme Addict
    omg that looks SIIIICK lol !!
    i5-750 w/ Thermalright Ultra120X
    Coolermaster HAF-932
    MSI GD65
    2x2GB G.skill Cas7 1600MHz
    Sapphire HD6870
    Western Digital 640GB.AAKS
    2x Samsung F1 1TB
    2x Samsung SLC 64GB SSD
    Pioneer DVR-212BK
    Corsair HX620W
    Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music (dead, using onboard -.-)
    LG W2286L

I am Xtreme
    I don't have mod/admin rights coolmiester but I am banning you from the stacker thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My god man that is crzy, and its sad because the first time I laid eyes on the Cosmos.................. my first thought was how can I mod that case, I just don't ahve 200$ or the time and space to work on one but I do like it and wan to get one. I can't wait to see this done, another great work from a modding mad man.

amazing :o

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bluep3ace View Post
    silly you, why didn't you just ask mercedes for a sponsorship?

also, is that your SLR???

looks really nice so far, put on some clear coat and it could go as a mercedes product.
    Thats not a SLR that he has the front panel on, its a SLK

Words cannot describe how much I love the SLK.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kunaak View Post
    XS is all about overkill.
    whats the point of being some place called "Xtreme" if you dont indulge in the overkill aspect of things.

Xtreme Member
    the car is great , the generic Cosmos case suxx, hope you will make that case better.

subscribed to this one - looking great!

Xtreme Mentor
    Very nice work. Love the lettering!

V-Twin WIP

Q6600 G0
    EVGA680i
    4GB OCZ
    8800GTX
    LC - Dual loops.
    Dual 20.1 monitors.

Xtreme Addict
    This is already great. Imagine a Ferrari version. *drools*
    ________
    Honda canada inc.
    Last edited by clayton; 03-10-2011 at 06:56 AM.

Xtreme Member

I think your case mod looks very styling and sexy Wow. I like

Xtreme Cruncher
    I'll be damned, that looks fantastic!

Xtreme Guru
    damn man.. that looks freaking awesome coolmiester im pretty sure that the future updates wont be disappointing.. absolutely fantastic work so far..
    Evga X58 sli under cascade
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=219788
    Evga X58 Sli ultimate overclocking/ overview/ discussion thread
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=221082

proud owner of E8600 Q822A435

Xtreme Enthusiast
    coolermister you rock

Your projects are really really fantastic man
    Intel Core i7 930@ 4.0Ghz | Gigabyte EX58-UD4P | 3x2Gb OCZ 1600mhz | Palit GTX280 | 1TB Seagate | Samsung P2350 23'' | Silverstone Decathlon DA750W | Lian-Li PC777B | Logitech Z-5500 | Creative X-Fi| Iphone 4

Hardwarena Overclock Team

Xtreme Member
    this just blew my mind.

i cannot wait to see this done.

coolmiester, may I suggest doing a mobo-cover to emulate the engine covers the SLR and most benz use?
    here is a link to an example (starts at post #77) - linky

also, a great idea with the MB star as intake. I believe the SLR has its kompressor intake through the star as well.

Xtreme Guru
    Im lovin your work bro, amazing stuff, takes alot of talent and time, good job!

Xtreme Cruncher
    you only got the front panel done.. and already you put in that much work..
    cant wait to see what happens to the actual case!
    Nikon User
    Nikon D200 (Gone =( )/D300
    Nikkor 18-105mm(Gone) // Nikkor 50mm 1.8 // Nikkor 55-200VR(Gone)
    Tokina 12-24 // Tamron 90mm //
    Manfrotto & Benro Legs // Benro Ballhead.

Current Lust = 80-200 Or 70-200VR1 <--Pending

No more computer parts for me... Well for now until I
    really REALLY need to upgrade.

Xtreme Addict
    Hey cheers for all the positive feedback, its a great incentive to keep doing something a little different from the usual.

The side window vents a proving to be a bit tricky so have had to get some help from a local machine shop which takes a bit of time but there will be some update coming pretty soon.

Thanks again

Xtreme Mentor
    Gorgeous man! Keep us updated!

Xtreme Member
    i always love your work

Xtreme Addict
    New update and for this one you have to use your imagination and look at the SLR centre console to get where i'm coming from.

Basically the top section on the Cosmos has a blank plate that has a similar shape (even though mine is all black for some reason) - anyway there is a 240 radiator going underneath so could do with a bit of extra ventilation plus i needed a place to mount a fan controller and a fill port so i set about making an aluminium bezel that would tick all the boxes.

Cut out the overall shape from 3mm aluminium and then cut 4 vent holes that will have mesh added and painted black later, followed by the 4 holes to mount the fan controller and to make it a bit more pleasing on the eye i cut out the bottom section and using some of the left over plexi from the front door, mounted a polished fill port which fills up the gap nicely

That done, the whole plate was polished and will be mounted up top at a later date and if you use you imagination it kind of resembles the SLR centre console.

Oh yeah and I eventually found a machine shop that seems to be on the same page as myself when it comes to fabricating one off bits like the 4 CNC’d rails that I picked up today and will hopefully end up going towards making the 2 side vents for the case and time will tell what else we can come up with

nice work

I am Xtreme
    fermiNow Dave will see FERMI where ever I go
    Quote Originally Posted by jbartlett323 View Post
    So please return to the "Darkside of the Moon" and check your "Pulse" while you wait for the "Animals" that will be "Obscured By Clouds". And watch me wave as I say "Wish You Were Here" in "A Momentary Lapse of Reason"

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast