Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [skinnee labs] lab worklog thingy

Never go full retard

[skinnee labs] lab worklog thingy

Short little intro...

I have been moving my lab for the past week or so to a new room in the house, still in the basement but a larger room and one that is better suited to gallons of distilled water being spilled onto the floor. Goodbye carpet, hello lenoleum. I don't know why I didn't start the lab in this room to begin with. There I go off on another topic detour...Anyhow, the purpose of this worklog is just to give you all a view into the lab. No black magic or crazyness going on, well...I do have a lot of "incidents". Basically, I'm horrible at taking action shots of the testing.

The move from one room to the other was a nightmare, I didn't realize how much of a mess I had with all the little screws, springs, thumbnuts, o-rings and all the other bits scattered about. My wife walked in as I started organizing and kicked me out of the room. She realized it would take days for me to clean and pack the stuff away. She took mercy on me, but I still can't find a thing the way she packed it all up, serves me right I guess.

So on to the actual lab, I moved the same counters and cabinets in from the old lab. This was supposed to be a lower laundry and storage, but looks to be made for a lab. First shot is from the doorway into the lab from my office area (you'll get to see the office after I finish the lab move, its a disaster right now)...

Notice the pimpin ESD smock on the chair? There was some joke a while back that testing using all the temp sensors, meters and so on was called "white lab coat testing", so I snagged myself a white ESD smock. Shot from the door leading into the mechanical room, just out of the previous picture on the left side. And an even better shot of my pimp lab coat.

I really like the raised outlets on the wall...but it does cause a bit of a snag. In the old lab, the was a ledge that ran along one wall. Thats where I had the radiator, pump and reservoir for the test bench. I don't have that in this room...break out the 6" shelving. I'll photo that up this week, I'm bound to screw that project up somehow.

But I finally have the lab into a somewhat working order, which really means I am far from done, but just can't hold off testing any longer. Wash basin for pressure drop testing is installed and plumbed, but I have a 20" gap to the countertop, so I need to fix that soon.

The benches themselves are a few days minimum from being able to run, which means CPU block testing is done for now. Which turns out to be a blessing in disguise. This is best way to stop the endless testing of CPU blocks and release the results. More testing will come, but I just needed to have an end to these two back to back marathons. Anyhow, I'll have two bench systems with two loops each. Be very nice to balance the tests out this way. Right now I can't test radiators and be running thermals on a CPU, GPU or chipset block.

I'll keep posting photos as I go, with shots from the testing that don't belong in the reviews.

To christen the lab I decided some follow-up pump with Y fittings tests were needed. Here are a few quick shots from the testing...Please excuse the lighting, I don't have that squared away yet--meaning it sucks real bad.

EK Opposing Y test...towel was called in to sop up the puddle from changing pumps

Close up on one of the flow meters, I wanted to see how difficult it is to photograph these things...not as bad as I thought. I don't recall which loop and which pump this was with though.

Typhoon III running the Test Loop 3 in serial with the TITO config. Like my orange zipties holding the flow meter to their stand...stands are complete knock-offs of Martins and didn't turn out like I had hoped.

Like I said, I'll keep posting in this thread as I progress with getting the lab fully up and running along with misc BS and photos of my blunders (there are many). thanks for looking over my shoulder.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    great first post mate - but the only thing missing so far is a shot of the door with the big F#*K off padlock your wife installed to lock you in

Xtreme Member
    Nice looking lab Skinnee ... I wish I had a room like that to house all my computer equipment and testing.

Xtreme Member
    Nice place you've got there!
    Hope everything comes out nice

Xtreme Mentor
    Nice, can't wait to see the finished product.
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Looks great Cam!

I'm looking forward to seeing the lab come together.

Oh - I have a tip for putting up shelving... use a level.

Xtreme Addict
    Haha Chaz ^^

Can't wait to see how you "makeover" the room Cam!

Chasing After Diety
    im so sick and tired of the T3.

Its a great res, but it has had way too much light as of recent.

Cam hurry and Slap the RD-30 on your bed.

Stop playing with a civic when you got a Veyron in the garage.
    Last edited by NaeKuh; 08-04-2009 at 10:19 AM.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Addict
    damn NaeKuh... spelcheck is ur frend...

you just made my head hurt in all new sort of way...
    "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands in times challenge and controversy."
    Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

DIY: Self Clinching Nuts

Canon EOS 7D | Tokina 12-24mm f/4 | Canon EF 24-105 f/4 L | Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS Mk II | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4 L | Canon EF 400mm f/5.6 L | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4-5.6 L

Chasing After Diety
    no its been nagging us...

i mean i lent the RD-30 to him because the only other tester who has one on our forum is nikhsub1, who i think retired.

The Other RD-30 owners are all gone, we chased them out with pitchforks mounted on MCR320 radiators to fight there RD-30 + PA blingness... :P

What ive been nagging on skinnee was for him to get that bed setup and then calibrate the pump to DDC-3.2 and dual DDC-3.2 performance.

Remember the RD-30 can go anywhere from 15ft head -> 31feet head, so skinnee has a lot of room for fine testing with that pump.

But his head has been stuck in one of the inlets on the T3 for so long, he's starting to misplace reality.

He IMS me @ 3am his time to tell me something fascinating he found out on a the T3.
    Im sitting there, 12am my time wondering WTF he's doing still up.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post
    no its been nagging us...

i mean i lent the RD-30 to him because the only other tester who has one on our forum is nikhsub1, who i think retired.

The Other RD-30 owners are all gone, we chased them out with pitchforks mounted on MCR320 radiators to fight there RD-30 + PA blingness... :P

What ive been nagging on skinnee was for him to get that bed setup and then calibrate the pump to DDC-3.2 and dual DDC-3.2 performance.

Remember the RD-30 can go anywhere from 15ft head -> 31feet head, so skinnee has a lot of room for fine testing with that pump.

But his head has been stuck in one of the inlets on the T3 for so long, he's starting to misplace reality.

He IMS me @ 3am his time to tell me something fascinating he found out on a the T3.
    Im sitting there, 12am my time wondering WTF he's doing still up.
    I think the RD-30 put too much pressure on some of the owners' brains. Too bad they can't even post a real build (other than hardware nailed down on plywood).

Keep up the good work Skinnee. If you have arse clowns ing you know you are pressing the right buttons as they only get their little red panties in a twist when they have something to worry about. Don't let keyboard warriors get you down.
    "Thing is, I no longer consider you a member but, rather a parasite...one that should be expunged."

Never go full retard
    Now now fella's...lets not turn this into a bashing thread. Feel free to dog/poke fun/harass me all you like.

RD-30 you say...you mean this one?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    That is one hell of a res mod. If a pump is ever choked for water using that thing, it belongs in a boat's bilge to keep it afloat !

Xtreme Addict
    I wouldn't be surprised if that tubing holds more water than the res lol.

Core
    Core i7 920
    eVGA X58 LE SLi
    2x3GB Mushkin DDR3-1600
    BFG 8800GT OC
    Seagate 7200.12 1TB + Maxtor 320GB
    LianLi A05B

Cooling (all internal)
    2x BI GTS 360
    2x DDC3.2 + Ek top
    EK Supreme LT

Never go full retard
    BigSlappy and Naekuh worked on it IIRC, but not sure where the credit resides. I personally don't like the res, it just doesn't belong. I'm working on something that provides the same function, doesn't look like ass and allows for inlet and outlet hookups for my manometer. All this is what is taking so long to test it.

edit:
    I don't like the res or electrical conduit elbow...both pieces just don't belong, it makes the RD-30 look ghetto.
    Last edited by skinnee; 08-04-2009 at 12:33 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    A fine line divides "Ghetto" and "Extreme" !

Never go full retard
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Z3VH View Post
    someone needs to sig that!

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Z3VH View Post

this is sooooo our forum's motto..

Xtreme Enthusiast

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Now that you have all that room...time to come out of the closet and show us your chiller set up.

Chasing After Diety
    Quote Originally Posted by ShoNuff View Post
    Now that you have all that room...time to come out of the closet and show us your chiller set up.
    he's sending it back to me.

He has his left thumb stuck in the T3 so he wont be able to hold the chiller in the other hand.

So he's gonna send it back to me. Im gonna slap new TEC's on it, and then a T-stat and then see what she can really do.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by NaeKuh View Post
    he's sending it back to me.

He has his left thumb stuck in the T3 so he wont be able to hold the chiller in the other hand.

So he's gonna send it back to me. Im gonna slap new TEC's on it, and then a T-stat and then see what she can really do.
    No no no...not that one. That is the nice one. I want to see pics of the one he built all by himself. He referred to it as his "Industrial" unit.

I'll find a pic of what his unit kinda looks like and edit this post.

Never go full retard
    If its this one...

then yes, its back to Terry soon. Just wasn't ever going to get the time to really play with it.

I am using that Meanwell for some pumping experiments...so its not a complete waste Terry.

edit: and I had no part in building that monster. I do have some ideas when I finally do build one though.
    Last edited by skinnee; 08-04-2009 at 06:38 PM.

Xtreme Guru
    Looking good skinnee, but I see some things missing, the kegorator, Jager machine, and mini fridge
    Project Millertime: The Core I5 build

Crunching/folding box on air: AMD Athlon X2 7750 Black Edition; Sapphire Radeon HD 4830; Gigabyte MA78GM-US2H; Lian Li PC-V351; Windows 7 RC

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Somethings missing in that pic Cam????
    i7 970 4.0 Ghz 1.325v // Asus P6X58D Premium // Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit // 12gb Corsair Dominators // 2- GTX 580 Hydrocoppers in SLI// 2-OCZ Vertex 2 Raid//128Gb Corsair SSD (Temp Storage) // Custom Wall Mount Case // Corsair 1000W // SyncMaster 2433BW // Dual loops 2-laing 355's each with XSPC dual top // (UN) 3G Brackets & X-Brackets // Swiftech Apogee XT // 2 x 120.3 & 2 x 120.2 Swiftech Rads//

Wall Mount Build Log: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=242186
    MM Extended Ascension Build Log:http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=212236[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast