Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Llano vs Sandy Bridge Compute Capacity

This thread is killing me ...

I think a single 'Stars' cpu core in Llano at 4GHz will do around 12.77 GFLOPS.

I think a single 'SB' cpu core (with HT on) at 4GHz will do around 14.44 GFLOPS.

A single 'SB' cpu core (with HT on and AVX) at 4GHz will do around 29.97 GFLOPS.

I have no idea what a single 'Stars' cpu core with AVX/XOP/FMA4 in Llano at 4GHz will do, and will not venture a guess, but I hope its ....

GFLOPS ...

just to shut some of you guys up

Xtreme Addict
    Maybe you want make the same calcul with the 2600K Mobile version ? cause actually using Lianno it's really nice .. vs the 2600K the biggest desktop 1155 version vs a poor Liano mobile cpu ... Lianno and SB are not really fighting in the same category... it's a little bit like compare a 2600K with Intel ULV .....
    Last edited by Lanek; 04-27-2011 at 04:46 AM.
    CPU: - I7 4930K (EK Supremacy )
    GPU: - 2x AMD HD7970 flashed GHZ bios ( EK Acetal Nickel Waterblock H2o)
    Motherboard: Asus x79 Deluxe
    RAM: G-skill Ares C9 2133mhz 16GB
    Main Storage: Samsung 840EVO 500GB / 2x Crucial RealSSD C300 Raid0

Xtreme Cruncher
    @AbortRetryFail?

Llano doesn't have AVX/XOP/FMA4. That is bulldozer.

Xtreme Addict
    .....can we close this thread yet lol? or move it at least?
    [MOBO] Asus CrossHair Formula 5 AM3+
    [GPU] ATI 6970 x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    [RAM] G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
    [CPU] AMD FX-8120 @ 4.8 ghz
    [COOLER] XSPC Rasa 750 RS360 WaterCooling
    [OS] Windows 8 x64 Enterprise
    [HDD] OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD
    [AUDIO] Logitech S-220 17 Watts 2.1

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
    This test has nothing to with cache subsystem at all, it just shows that gpu accelerated apps work on a gpu...
    nothing at all? Correct me if I'm wrong but the cache system affects pretty much everything you do on a CPU. Didn't you say sandybridge will see an ipc boost across the board from its improved cache system among other things?

Let's say this test doesn't depend a lot on the cache system...
    You're saying yourself that its impressive to see that many threads run on those cpus. Why impressive? Because there is a limitation of resources that need to be rained and shuffled between those tasks, correct? And that has nothing to do with the cache system? Nothing at all?
    Then please tell me, what is a good cache system test?

I agree that the whimpy gpu is the main thing holding Intel back in this test, but it doesn't explain everything...

I gotta say though I'm not impressed at all by some purely synthetic test.. is that the only scenario AMD does well in? : l
    Last edited by saaya; 04-27-2011 at 06:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    @AbortRetryFail?

Llano doesn't have AVX/XOP/FMA4. That is bulldozer.
    Here's a thread from a year ago ...

Can Llano do AVX?
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=250241

with obligatory fancy pic ...

You may well be correct but here's hoping the guys from Sunnyvale can find a way to put those 400 or so shaders to work to boost the Llano compute power.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AbortRetryFail? View Post
    I have no idea what a single 'Stars' cpu core with AVX/XOP/FMA4 in Llano at 4GHz will do, and will not venture a guess, but I hope its ....
    Llano will have pretty same as K10.5. Maybe slightly more because of turbo (if there will be turbo).
    But Llano's GPU will have hundreds of GFlOps.
    Last edited by SEA; 04-27-2011 at 06:13 AM.
    Windows 8.1
    Asus M4A87TD EVO + Phenom II X6 1055T @ 3900MHz + HD3850
    APUs

Xtreme Addict
    Ok, if you wonder, the software which was used by AMD is FluidCS11.exe from Direct3D11 samples in DirectX 11 SDK.
    Tried it on laptop with i5-2410m and got 4 fps on average with 64k particles. Since HD 3000 does not support DX11 it was software emulated with 100% CPU utilization.
    Last edited by kl0012; 04-27-2011 at 06:55 AM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by AbortRetryFail? View Post
    Here's a thread from a year ago ...

Can Llano do AVX?
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=250241

with obligatory fancy pic ...

You may well be correct but here's hoping the guys from Sunnyvale can find a way to put those 400 or so shaders to work to boost the Llano compute power.
    Ok once again,Llano does not have AVX or XOP or FMA. What it does have is OpenCL/DX11 supporting discrete class GPU with 400SP. That is plenty of compute power right there.

Xtreme Addict
    There is another particle simulation test in DX SDK which simulates smoke and uses DX 10.1 instead of DX 11 (SoftParticles.exe)
    Ran it on i5-2410m and got 52 fps using HD 3000 gpu (8% cpu utilization) vs. 2 fps when software emulated (100% cpu utilization).

Xtremely Retired OC'er
    Quote Originally Posted by kl0012 View Post
    There is another particle simulation test in DX SDK which simulates smoke and uses DX 10.1 instead of DX 11 (SoftParticles.exe)
    Ran it on i5-2410m and got 52 fps using HD 3000 gpu (8% cpu utilization) vs. 2 fps when software emulated (100% cpu utilization).
    Any links? So we can check this out?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikolasz View Post
    Any links? So we can check this out?
    Download and install DX SDK (june)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...2-438a3ba730ba

Search for FluidCS11.exe
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...8VS.85%29.aspx

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Serra View Post
    I don't think anyone is talking about endgaming Chess on Llano. Unless your last name is Karpov though I think even the slowest Llano will be more than a match for 99% of people. I hold the #13 position on Facebook chess worldwide [or I did.. I've been gone so long I'm not sure I show up globally anymore] and can attest that my old Core 2 Duo in my laptop is far better than I am (of course, the FB chess ranking system is very broken... I'm really not that good, just good enough to know how much better than me the computer is).
    for me, chess engines are great for improving my game. i need to have an opponent that plays extremely accurately. i'm not talking about the starting position but practicing say, mating with a bishop and knight or rook endings. lots of times i will play out the final positions of master games to checkmate. i guess a llano user would not find it all that important, even if they play chess, but chess engine performance is still very important to the game.

i also use them to analyse games of my own as well as master games. it helps understand what is going on, especially with tactics. this is why more younger people are super-gm's today. they can browse through their 4 million game database, find a game, and explore every move and variation with their engine in 30 minutes.

by far the coolest use is this.
    http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=6340

Xtreme Addict
    My dualcore sandy beats my buddys x4 in game load times sooo... yeah.
    i3 2100, MSI H61M-E33. 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws.
    MSI GTX 460 Twin Frozr II. 1TB Caviar Blue.
    Corsair HX 620, CM 690, Win 7 Ultimate 64bit.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Glow9 View Post
    My dualcore sandy beats my buddys x4 in game load times sooo... yeah.
    Game load times are more dependent on drive speeds. Why bring this up?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMojoZ View Post
    Because he doesn't know where the bottlenecks are within workloads...

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chumbucket843 View Post
    for me, chess engines are great for improving my game. i need to have an opponent that plays extremely accurately. i'm not talking about the starting position but practicing say, mating with a bishop and knight or rook endings. lots of times i will play out the final positions of master games to checkmate. i guess a llano user would not find it all that important, even if they play chess, but chess engine performance is still very important to the game.

i also use them to analyse games of my own as well as master games. it helps understand what is going on, especially with tactics. this is why more younger people are super-gm's today. they can browse through their 4 million game database, find a game, and explore every move and variation with their engine in 30 minutes.

by far the coolest use is this.
    http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=6340
    This is one reason we all should hope for good adoption of AMD Fusion chips. With big userbase, opencl has opportunity to make difference in many applications. Chess, is but one example.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMojoZ View Post
    For online games? Really?
    i3 2100, MSI H61M-E33. 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws.
    MSI GTX 460 Twin Frozr II. 1TB Caviar Blue.
    Corsair HX 620, CM 690, Win 7 Ultimate 64bit.

Xtreme X.I.P.
    Why would that make a difference?

dose online make the games randomly spawn in ram and not get stored?
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict
    lolllllllllllllllll

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by informal View Post
    Latest video on youtube shows Llano dual core @ 0:48 mark vs Zacate E350.
    Mobile Llano has model number A4 3300M and IGP has model number 6480. There is roughly 7 watts of difference under full load so my guess is that Llano is 25W mobile part.
    Llano has 50% more GPU compute performance than Zacate,meaning it has roughly 80x1.5=120 SPs. CPU cores are also notably faster,even if they run at 1.6Ghz too.Not a bad tradeoff ,7W more power for 50% better GPU and definitely better pure CPU performance.
    No, I think that it is more likely to be 240SPs@~280mhz vs 80SPs@500mhz for E-350. That would explain the higher power efficiency.

Xtreme Mentor
    I'm not sure if anyone knows yet, but will it be possible for Llano to use "Side Port" memory instead of just system ram?

To be honest, if this chip does what I think it might, it's really looking good to me...
    I'm only hoping here, but if it supports sideport and Hybrid Crossfire (or even better, a more powerful VC that could be throttled down when not needed), it would be the ultimate HTPC chip!
    Low power when just doing HTPC things, but still have some nads if you wanted to game on the big screen...

I really don't think my usage ideas are that rare. Hopefully AMD see's the potential for this type of application.

Zacate seems fine for a low powered HTPC only rig, but Llano's K10.5 cores are plenty strong enough for gaming and most other uses...

If they get Turbo and power throttling right this seems like a killer settup to me!
    AMD FX-8350 (1237 PGN) | Asus Crosshair V Formula (bios 1703) | G.Skill 2133 CL9 @ 2230 9-11-10 | Sapphire HD 6870 | Samsung 830 128Gb SSD / 2 WD 1Tb Black SATA3 storage | Corsair TX750 PSU
    Watercooled ST 120.3 & TC 120.1 / MCP35X XSPC Top / Apogee HD Block | WIN7 64 Bit HP | Corsair 800D Obsidian Case

First Computer: Commodore Vic 20 (circa 1981).

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Manabu View Post
    No, I think that it is more likely to be 240SPs@~280mhz vs 80SPs@500mhz for E-350. That would explain the higher power efficiency.
    From what we know now, native dual-core Llano chip is designed to have 160SP. I would expect a ~400MHz iGPU clock.

Ref:
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/dis...arter_AMD.html

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveburt714 View Post
    I'm not sure if anyone knows yet, but will it be possible for Llano to use "Side Port" memory instead of just system ram?

To be honest, if this chip does what I think it might, it's really looking good to me...
    I'm only hoping here, but if it supports sideport and Hybrid Crossfire (or even better, a more powerful VC that could be throttled down when not needed), it would be the ultimate HTPC chip!
    Low power when just doing HTPC things, but still have some nads if you wanted to game on the big screen...

I really don't think my usage ideas are that rare. Hopefully AMD see's the potential for this type of application.

Zacate seems fine for a low powered HTPC only rig, but Llano's K10.5 cores are plenty strong enough for gaming and most other uses...

If they get Turbo and power throttling right this seems like a killer settup to me!

would be really nice to plug a couple chips of gddr into the motherboard (into a pci-e slot???? hmm...) for quick performance upgrade

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast